PDA

View Full Version : Rauch: Dark Horse #5

Chisox_cali
02-15-2002, 03:07 PM
From TSN:
DARK-HORSE CANDIDATE

A year ago, righthander Jon Rauch showed up at spring training with a lengthy list of achievements to go with an imposing 6-11 frame. The can't-miss prospect more than held his own in Cactus League play before being sent down to Class AAA Charlotte for more seasoning. Had he stayed healthy, Rauch probably would have made his major-league debut around the All-Star break. But the top prospect made only six starts at Class AAA before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.

Rauch is probably headed back to Charlotte for most, or all, of the 2002 season. But a strong showing in spring training could earn Rauch a job as the team's fifth starter. Righthanders Gary Glover and Dan Wright are expected to compete for the final spot in the rotation, but both youngsters are question marks. If they falter and Rauch bounces back from the surgery, a change could be in the works.

With his size and power arm, Rauch has moved up the organization's ladder quickly. He impressed Manuel last spring by throwing all of his pitches for strikes and showing good poise. Assuming he is healthy, the team feels Rauch has ace potential.

I think if he pitches good enough to compete for a 5th spot and loses than we should stick him in the pen and he could get a start if a pitcher struggles. Parque if not fully recovered, etc.
Because I belive he'll be an important starter in 2003.

Pete_SSAC
02-15-2002, 11:19 PM
If it weren't for the injury that took him out of most of 2001, I would ahve loved to see him be Number 5, however, now I think he should be bumped back to what he would have been last year. Spending most of the time in the first half in AAA, and later in the bullpen and a few spot starts.

I expect 2003 to be his year though.

- Pete

pearso66
02-15-2002, 11:22 PM
oh i so hope he holds up with all the hype that the organization has put into him. im up for him to start this year in AAA, but if he has a monster spring again, i woulndt mind seeing him in that 5 spot, but even this year could be rushing him. maybe have him and another (biddle/parque) rotating starts and being in the pen??

WinningUgly!
02-16-2002, 02:39 AM
It's just good to see his name listed among the potential 5th starters before spring training & not reading about how he won't be able to throw for a while. It really sucked when he got hurt last year with all the progress he made in such a short time. Thank God he's ready for spring training :)

RichH55
02-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Depending on how the injury progression is Rauch should see time in 2002....whether its earlier or later depends on how his arm is