PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That was Pitiful Postgame Thread

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-16-2006, 04:09 PM
That was Pitiful. :angry:

I'm ****ing disgusted with this team's performance.

slobes
07-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I have never seen us blow that many opportunities in one game. We were lucky that we were still in it at the end. Terrible.

Parrothead
:sweep That sucks. I am officially on the ledge !

aryzner
I think we've just hit our slump is all.

Have we even been swept this year up til now?

Medford Bobby
07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
:angry: Big time BUTT kick comin' now!!:o:

nasox
Paulie does what he does best. GIDP. :angry:

BeviBall!
How many ****ing innings did we get 1st and 2nd with no out, only to come up empty? Ridiculous.

goon
07-16-2006, 04:12 PM
****ing paulie.

stl_sox_fan
Anyone got the batting average of them with runners in scoring position today? Has to be loooow.

ilsox7
Bad weekend. Hopefully the team puts it behind them and gets back to playing well this upcoming week. Now on to the comedic relief that is WSI after the team plays poorly for more than 2 games in a row!

California Sox
What they heck did we hit with RISP during this series? This reminds me of Corpseball. 3 double plays and nine guys left on base?! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

rdwj
I tell ya, I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing Paulie hit into double plays. The only thing that annoys me more is Mac in center. How many runs does he have to give away before we stop putting him out there?

And pitching - oh boy!

ShoelessJoeS
That was just pathetic. I'm embarresed to hear what our batting average was with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. ****ing pathetic. Konerko was the ultimate rally killer today.

On a good note, nice day for Gooch, and BA has his avg. up to .200!

MrRoboto83
:sweep That sucks.

first sweep of the year, it was bound to happen at some time.

Soxfanspcu11

No. First sweep of the year. :angry:

QCIASOXFAN
07-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Another game where noting goes right and we ****ing sucked it up. We really stunk the place up today though. We had like 5 chances to break the game wide open but ****ed it up every time. We even out hit them 14-9.

CaptainBallz
07-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Uhh, yeah...everything basically sucked this series.

Let's get this out of our systems, now. There's a pennant race goin on.

CubsfansareDRUNK
Did anyone hear all the Yankee fans sarcastically chanting "Paulie! Paulie!"?

patbooyah
first sweep of the year, it was bound to happen at some time.

it's one thing to get swept.

it's another thing to get the **** kicked out of you because you play bad baseball. the sox just played bad baseball this weekend.

let's hope the royals hold on and we play well in detroit.

slobes
07-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Paulie should not have tried to pull that ball off of Rivera. The second he did that, he was toast.

stl_sox_fan
on a positive note, didn't they start off bad after the All Star Break last year? Detroit just added three more runs, don't tell me KC is going to blow that lead!!!!!

MrX
Bad pitching, bad hitting, bad baserunning, bad defense. This series had it all.

This team needs to pull it's head out of its ass real quick.

To get swept by a team running that lineup out there is pathetic.

Hawk sounded like he was ready to break something after the final out.

CubsfansareDRUNK
let's hope the royals hold on and we play well in detroit.

that should be put in DEEP pink

Law11
07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
on a positive note, didn't they start off bad after the All Star Break last year? Detroit just added three more runs, don't tell me KC is going to blow that lead!!!!!

We swept Cleveland last year.

I'm so tired of being angry at this slop they played this weekend it aint worth it.
You could tell it just wasnt in the cards this weekend.
Once we went down 3-1 I chalked this one up.

Time to get some ribs... I'm done with baseball until Tuesday.

slobes

No, we actually swept the Tribe in a 4 games series right after the break.

Sox-o-matic
How fitting is it that two bad baserunning plays (one of which may have been Cora's fault just as much as Iguchi's) cost us two runs, the exact difference in the score.

Terrible execution, Paulie hitting into key double plays just like the old days, and Freddy following suit with the rest of the starters minus Jose.

FLIP SOME ****ING TABLES OVER KENNY!!!!!!

nasox
07-16-2006, 04:17 PM
that should be put in DEEP pink

Only the Royal's part. I think we will play well in Detroit.

I will say this: Ozzie is going to be lighting some fires under some asses pretty damn soon.

BeviBall!

Nope... we swept Cleveland in a 4-game series at the Jake.

soxwon
DDD disgusting,deplorable,damaging
fortunately detroit is losing in the ninth

stl_sox_fan
No, we actually swept the Tribe in a 4 games series right after the break.

Well crap....sucks when the memory goes....

Foulke You
The 2005 Sox started off last year's 2nd half by sweeping the Tribe at the Jake. The '05 team didn't hit its rough patch until August.

It is just unfortunate this down swing is happening in a very important part of our schedule since the Yankees and Tigers are big series with playoff implications. Hopefully, we'll get our heads on straight for the Detroit series.

Brian26
on a positive note, didn't they start off bad after the All Star Break last year?

Who? The Sox? They swept a four game series in Cleveland.

MarySwiss
07-16-2006, 04:18 PM

No.

aryzner
I just want to let you all know that I'm not too worried at this point. This team was bound to hit a slump like this and play some bad baseball for a while and that time is now.

I also think that Detroit will suffer this same fate sometime down the road. Hell we hit that slump last year where the Indians almost made the playoffs instead of us. They'll pull out of it. I know they will - they're the Chicago White Sox.

Madvora
I'm sick of Konerko with those double plays.

rowand33
07-16-2006, 04:19 PM
wow... just wow...

if we play like this in detroit, we're in trouble.

This team has the talent, and it plays like ****.

I'm sick of our good pitchers pitching poorly. I'm sick of that fact that we can't bunt.

It makes me sick that we left 9 on base with 3 double plays today.

I don't expect us to win everyday. I expect us to TRY to win everyday. And that means from the 1st inning on. Not just in the last 3 (as we like to do).

that quote by AJ from a few days ago where he's like "the fans have to understand that we can't win everyday; we're having a good season" is everything that is wrong with this season.

You shouldn't accept losing. You shouldn't be complacent. The team wasn't last year.

Awful series. I hope KC hangs on...

soxwon
Well crap....sucks when the memory goes....

but we were 10 in front at the time

Sox-o-matic
Did anyone hear all the Yankee fans sarcastically chanting "Paulie! Paulie!"?

Yes, and deservedly so. His double plays saved the game for the Yanks.

HartmanSox
07-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I just want to let you all know that I'm not too worried at this point. This team was bound to hit a slump like this and play some bad baseball for a while and that time is now.

I also think that Detroit will suffer this same fate sometime down the road. Hell we hit that slump last year where the Indians almost made the playoffs instead of us. They'll pull out of it. I know they will - they're the Chicago White Sox.

:?::rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
Hopefully Vazquez returns to early season form against the kitties. And hopefully Garland continues to get better and better with each start.

California Sox
By my count we were 3-17 w/RISP today with a sac fly so 18 chances. But the only one of those hits that plated a run was the first one, Thome's double. Had a guy thrown out at the plate and the third one was an infield hit. Also had a run-scoring groundout. All three DPs came w/RISP. Bleah.

HartmanSox
anybody else getting sick of Pauls signature body language after every popup or double play? it just eggs the fans on more, and based on todays game, it might get into his head.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:22 PM
anybody else getting sick of Pauls signature body language after every popup or double play? it just eggs the fans on more, and based on todays game, it might get into his head.

AJ does the same thing. Konerko has done that as long as I can remember.

The Dude
****ing paulie.

Yeah the sick Paulie is to blame for this loss.:rolleyes:

jfinsocal
Lots of bad breaks today. Pitching wasn't that bad albeit against a Sunday lineup. The offense was literally a foot or two away on several instances (Thome force out, the double that caromed off the left field fence) from breaking it open. This is one of the games in the year that you play better than the opposition and lose. Suck it up and move on.

The one really bonehead play was the out at home plate. I know that you send the runner with 2 outs but this was not even close and you get thrown out 9 out of 10 times with a decent throw.

SOXBOY
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Everyone just relax,yes we played bad baseball this series and pitching has not been good.The Sox still lead the wc by 3 games and play the tigers now with a chance to make up some ground on them.I think the Sox sweep the indians and ny in back to back series in 2000 and what happen we got sweep in the first round of the playoffs that year and ny went on to win the world series.So everyone just relax and enjoy the season.

Foulke You
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
We ran the bases in this series like we did in the Jerry Manual era too. Crede getting sent home on a shallow single to LF and caught dead to rights. Thome getting forced at 2nd. Iguchi running home on a grounder from Paulie and getting caught in the pickle in the 1st. I think that play kind've set the tone for the game.

I guess we don't realize how spoiled we are by this team. This is the first time all year we got swept and it happened in one of the toughest ballparks to win at. We had a bad series and the Yankees pounced on us. Other team's fans have had to endure multiple sweeps by lesser teams. This series is best forgotten and time for them to regroup in Detroit.

aryzner
07-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes. I'm just saying I have confidence in this team...

Soxworldchamps
Crede should not have tried to score that one time. It would have been better if he had just stayed on third with Uribe on first.

MarySwiss
Originally Posted by aryzner

Meaning?

I like his attitude. And he is dead right: All teams suffer letdowns, and Detroit has not as of yet. If they can get through the rest of the season playing the way they've played so far, they'll deserve to win the division. But I wouldn't care to bet on that happening.

QCIASOXFAN
Yeah the sick Paulie is to blame for this loss.:rolleyes:Yeah we should have started that healthy Gload.:rolleyes:

Greg1983
Terrible execution, Paulie hitting into key double plays just like the old days, and Freddy following suit with the rest of the starters minus Jose.

FLIP SOME ****ING TABLES OVER KENNY!!!!!!

I'm just so tired of the Sox being down every time I tune in a game or check the internet to see the score. We're constantly having to come from behind, which puts pressure on our hitters and baserunners and takes pressure off opposing pitchers. When was the last time the Sox scored first and didn't relinquish the lead and just put the damn game away?

I think I can answer my own question...July 5 against Baltimore. And Garland and Jenks nearly gave that one away. Actually, the last time we pitched well and hit well in the same game was the beat-down we put on the O's on the 4th. We've been out of sorts for nearly 2 weeks now, although the All-Star break was part of those 2 weeks.

I am *officially* on the ledge. This is pure corpseball. :angry: :angry:

The Dude
Paulie does what he does best. GIDP. :angry:

Yeah he's reverting to 2003 form.

I was wondering when the PK haters would come out and start their bitching.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 04:25 PM
You shouldn't accept losing. You shouldn't be complacent. The team wasn't last year.

You should accept a loss when the other team clearly outplays you. Like the game we lost to Santana last year where Jones broke Freddy's no-hitter.

OTOH, you can't accept a loss when your starting pitching fails and you STILL have the opportunity to win the game, but blow it with baserunning errors and double plays.

If this team were playing like it should be playing we win this game something like 8-3. The only positives here were AJ, Iguchi, and Podsednik with the bat and the bullpen.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:25 PM
:rolleyes:right back at you

ShoelessJoeS
07-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah the sick Paulie is to blame for this loss.:rolleyes:No, you can't blame Paulie for being sick and not performing. But you can for not letting Ozzie know he's not 100%. Ozzie prides himself on communicating with his players and them letting him know if they're ready to play.

Daver

Go ahead and jump.

HartmanSox
I miss the '05 team when it seemed like we scored at least one run every game in the 1st.

Jurr
07-16-2006, 04:27 PM
This is that patch that every team goes through where you cringe at every opportunity. Bases loaded opportunities squandered. Errors. Pitching goes to crap. Nobody can get the big hit. Losses mount.

Man, don't you love the "we're pressing and struggling" days?

They make the fans wake up and say, "Damn, it's not easy being a baseball fan. ****!"

Then, the lights come on, and the two out doubles come back, the cutters cut, and the double play grounders are coming from THEIR bats. All of a sudden, we're winning again.

Damn, I love baseball. I'm as big a Sox fan as it gets, but I embrace these times of the season. They make wins that much sweeter (as long as there's a lot more W's than L's.)

Everything will be fine. :bandance:

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:28 PM
No, you can't blame Paulie for being sick and not performing. But you can for not letting Ozzie know he's not 100%. Ozzie prides himself on communicating with his players and them letting him know if they're ready to play.

He said in the pregame show that he knows Paulie is not well, but also respected Paulie's fight for wanting to play and help his team.

MarySwiss
Go ahead and jump.

:rolling:

Succinct, but it says it all!

itsnotrequired
What they heck did we hit with RISP during this series? This reminds me of Corpseball. 3 double plays and nine guys left on base?! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

By my count, the Sox were 5-35 with RISP this series. They had some sac flies and ground out RBIs but still hit a pathetic .142 with RISP.

HartmanSox
07-16-2006, 04:29 PM
All the philosopizers in this thread........please give a little insight to our 4 starting pitchers who have Royals-like ERAs.

:)

ShoelessJoeS
He said in the pregame show that he knows Paulie is not well, but also respected Paulie's fight for wanting to play and help his team.Didn't hear that. Thanks for letting me know! But what would you have done in Ozzie's position?

Patrick134
Tigers lose, 9-6.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:30 PM

You'll be missed!

southside rocks
C'mon, spread the blame around-- some for Crede, who's playing with bruises from being bonked with baseballs all the time, and with a back that is bad all the time; some for Iguchi, who is still hobbling with a sprained ankle he suffered when he and Dye collided a couple of weeks ago; some for Ozuna, who has a pulled hammy that he can't rest enough to get completely right; and the rest gets dumped on the other team members who have been playing winning baseball 6 days a week for 3 1/2 months now -- it's not enough! Not enough for the fans on WSI, and the Sox players better recognize that and get serious, bleep it!

Never mind that fans of 28 other MLB teams would think us whining crybabies and would so love for their team to have the record the Sox do -- it's not okay when this team has an off day or an off series! I mean, dozens of posters on this very board could do better themselves -- I only wonder why KW hasn't called them in yet.

Yeah, it was truly sucky baseball. Ozzie even said, going into NY, "we could get swept." The Sox seem to tense up in NY and Boston. I'm glad they're out of there now, and I hope this losing streak is behind them.

Frankly Missing
I hate the sweep, but there is no shame in losing to the Yankees.

Vernam
The panicky fans are out to lunch, but so are the ones who say there's no reason for concern. This team does not execute in moving runners over, and it's starting to catch up to them after months of it being covered up by the production of Thome, Konerko, and Dye.

Gutsy performance by Freddy, but too bad he was throwing batting practice to start the game.

Vernam

ShoelessJoeS
All the philosopizers in this thread........please give a little insight to our 4 starting pitchers who have Royals-like ERAs.

:)And that deserves a rotating smiley how...?

California Sox
Throw a mother****in' parade, KC finally beat Detroit.

itsnotrequired
Tigers lose, 9-6.

Well, that's something to salvage out of today.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:31 PM
He said in the pregame show that he knows Paulie is not well, but also respected Paulie's fight for wanting to play and help his team.

But doesnt he know that Paulie just wanted to play so he could GIDP and ruin a late rally? What a ****ty captain!

southside rocks

:)

This is IMO the valid point of this thread, and the most seriously dismaying aspect of the NY series.

MrRoboto83
Didn't hear that. Thanks for letting me know! But what would you have done in Ozzie's position?

Started Gload that is what I thought before the game with the off day tomorrow, that would give Konerko time to get some rest. Hopefully he is 100% by Tuesday.

SABRSox
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4365&d=1147671917

Thankfully...

wassagstdu
How many ****ing innings did we get 1st and 2nd with no out, only to come up empty? Ridiculous.
Getting to be a familiar story: SP gives up a lot of runs early and the hitters go into home run derby mode. All of these pop-ups in key situations are bringing back 2004 -- BIG swings from the heels, bats tossed in disgust.

It will all come down to the starting pitching. Can they settle down and set a better tone in the early innings? We'll see. Meanwhile, I think if I were Ozzie I might order several of them to take until they have 2 strikes on them so they will shorten up for contact.

aryzner
Throw a mother****in' parade, KC finally beat Detroit. lol, that made me chuckle :D:

Mod Edit: Your quoting a language filter evasion didn't make me chuckle at all. It's gonna cost you the same abount of time as it did California Sox: 7 days.

HartmanSox
07-16-2006, 04:32 PM
It's OK, the Tigers can get revenge on them in the next 43234 times they meet this year.

ShoelessJoeS
07-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Started Gload that is what I thought before the game with the off day tomorrow, that would give Konerko time to get some rest. Hopefully he is 100% by Tuesday.I was thinking the same thing. I'd rather have a 100% Paulie for the Detroit series.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:33 PM
This is going to be a brutal postgame show to listen to on AM 670, i think I am going to listen to some Air Supply and curl up in a corner and cry.

goon
07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
okay, ****ing freddy, too. how could i say that paulie had a poor performance today? i must be crazy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Droso5
ITS ALL BRIAN ANDERSONS FAULT!!! we need a major league center fielder that CAN HIT!!!! no matter that his avg is up to .200, up 30 points and he has been hitting .333 so far in july and has shown steady solid progress!!! Its his fault!!!

edit: Is this better....is this the teal you demand! I hate getting chased by the police.

wassagstdu
Yes there is. What we saw today was a truly mediocre Yankee team. I think the Pirates looked better. The Yankees didn't sweep the Sox. The Sox got swept.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4365&d=1147671917

Thankfully...

Twins gain another game though.:(:

Jurr
07-16-2006, 04:36 PM
:rolling:

Succinct, but it says it all!
Oh, Daver and Swiss. I remember yucking it up last year in September with you guys at the expense of fans that kept saying, "I'm through with this team...they're done."

That, along with the "Brian Anderson has to leave...get (insert superstar, overpaid centerfielder here)" posts just show you the impatience and tunnel vision we constantly see around here.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Go ahead and jump.

This post made my day!

The Dude
ITS ALL BRIAN ANDERSONS FAULT!!! we need a major league center fielder that CAN HIT!!!! no matter that his avg is up to .200, up 30 points and he has been hitting .333 so far in july and has shown steady solid progress!!! Its his fault!!!

:tealpolice:

Hitmen77

I agree with you but.....

Ow, my eyes!!!! Somebody call the Teal Police!

goon
07-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Twins gain another game though.:(:

but hunter was placed on the DL with a stress fracture. i don't think there is any reason to worry about the twins... unless they play all of their remaining games in that godforsaken dome.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 04:38 PM

What does it mean to be on the ledge? On the edge of insanity? On the brink of abandoning the season? Something else?

I don't know if I'm personally on the ledge or anything, but lately the feel of the game has been different for me in that I don't expect them to come back right now. And sometimes when the Sox lose (pitfully, like today) I yell at the television, as if someone can actually hear me, that they deserve to lose. I don't really mean it though, I just can't stand watching a vastly superior team throw up all over the place.

kittle42
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Tough to win when your starters (minus Contreras) are giving up 5+ per game recently.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I agree with you but.....

Ow, my eyes!!!! Somebody call the Teal Police!

Already on top of it!

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:40 PM
What does it mean to be on the ledge? On the edge of insanity? On the brink of abandoning the season? Something else?

I don't know if I'm personally on the ledge or anything, but lately the feel of the game has been different for me in that I don't expect them to come back right now. And sometimes when the Sox lose (pitfully, like today) I yell at the television, as if someone can actually hear me, that they deserve to lose. I don't really mean it though, I just can't stand watching a vastly superior team throw up all over the place.

I think it has the same effect as shooting yourself.:D:

Hitmen77
07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I tell ya, I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing Paulie hit into double plays. The only thing that annoys me more is Mac in center. How many runs does he have to give away before we stop putting him out there?

And pitching - oh boy!

I missed most of the game today. Did Mack let some hits fall in today? With BA hitting .300 for the month, I'm not sure why Ozzie keeps starting Mackowiak in CF every 3rd game.

goon
07-16-2006, 04:41 PM

this offense ALWAYS comes back, there should be nothing to complain about on the offensive front other than the lack of bunting and some of the situational hitting. starting pitching sets the tone and they have been struggling lately.

the sox continued to press today, they just couldn't get the hits when they needed to. however, this has NOT been the case all year.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I missed most of the game today. Did Mack let some hits fall in today? With BA hitting .300 for the month, I'm not sure why Ozzie keeps starting Mackowiak in CF every 3rd game.

Time to move BA up in the lineup I think.

RadioheadRocks
07-16-2006, 04:43 PM
The one really bonehead play was the out at home plate. I know that you send the runner with 2 outs but this was not even close and you get thrown out 9 out of 10 times with a decent throw.

My sentiments exactly!!! When I saw how quick Cabrera got a hold of that ball and with Crede lumbering around third, I knew it wouldn't amount to anything good.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Where's the rest of the Freddy haters? I'd bet that ZombieRob is probably writing his AOL chat-style postgame summary.:cool:

goon
07-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Time to move BA up in the lineup I think.

brian has been swinging the bat very well lately.

the funny thing is, i'm actually looking forward to seeing jon pitch on tuesday. he has looked confident as of late and he is starting to pitch batter's inside.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 04:48 PM
this offense ALWAYS comes back, there should be nothing to complain about on the offensive front other than the lack of bunting and some of the situational hitting. starting pitching sets the tone and they have been struggling lately.

the sox continued to press today, they just couldn't get the hits when they needed to. however, this has NOT been the case all year.

Isn't that exactly what an offense is supposed to do? Situational hitting and fundamentals? I don't care if a guy hits .400 with two outs and nobody on, he's probably not coming home.

Clutch hitting has been present all year, but the fundamentals have not at all. Uribe ALMOST got that bunt down, and if he did, Podsednik's ground out at least scores a run. That is something to complain about.

True, the starting pitching has been bad, but this game, even after Freddy's vomit fest in the first inning, was still winnable. The top two guys in the batting order had a great day at the plate and gave the team chances again and again. The bullpen was solid and stopped the Yanks at six, and if it weren't for two hurtful baserunning errors, three big double plays, and two failed bunt attempts in a row, we would have had this game.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow...just friggin' wow.

A few thoughts:

1. If Paulie was sick he shouldn't have been playing.
Period. End of discussion.

Ozzie will sit a guy when he has a little muscle twinge for a week yet he let's one of the key people play because 'he respects his desire to go out and try?' ***?

This is a business gang and the business is to win. Putting a guy out there who isn't 100% is hurting the player and more importantly hurting the team.

2. This series was emblematic of the entire 2006 season. Basically home run or squat. As I asked yesterday what the hell ever happened to Ozzie-ball?

3. I'm still waiting for Ozzie or Kenny to go off on one 'mother of all tirades.'

This team has played badly since the Sunday game with the Cubs where they mailed it in. They have now dropped 7 of 11 with three of the four wins coming against Baltimore. They have lost substantial ground to the Tigers, have allowed the Yankees to get right back into the wild card race (you can bet that now that they are back in it Matusi and Sheffield are going to increase their efforts to get back into play come September) and have embarrassed themselves.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays can win a game against a depleted Yankee lineup and yet the World Champion, healthy, White Sox can't do squat.

Nice...

Lip

Greg1983
07-16-2006, 04:49 PM

First of all, for the benefit of The Dude, MarySwiss, and Daver,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIGHHHHHH!!!!!! [splat]

Hope that brightens your day! :smile:

Anyway, I personally am using the phrase "on the ledge" not to mean that I'm abandoning the season, but that I'm suffering from profound anxiety that has me pondering the unthinkable (which would be abandoning the season). Just like the suicidal people you see in TV shows or movies sometimes go out to a window ledge and stand there, perhaps wanting to be rescued or comforted more than wanting to actually do the deed.

Of course, with friends like the aforementioned who are only too happy to push, the phrase evidently means something else. Or not. I don't know. I didn't mean to offend.

It's not meant as a rational reaction. It's pure emotion. And, in my case at least, I only resort to the phrase when I see things that are well outside the normal vagaries of the 162-game season. We've seen pretty crap-tacular ball from the Sox in most of their last 6 or 7 games, although they were fortunate enough to win a couple of those, and the pitching really does seem ominous.

Paulwny
07-16-2006, 04:50 PM

The yankees ??, the sox lost to a team whose outfield consisted of Cabrera (sp), Crosby and Guile with Cairo at 2nd base . Give me a break !!
How many pop-ups today ?, long ball mentality creeping into the batters mind set.

bigsqwert
07-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I missed most of the game today. Did Mack let some hits fall in today? With BA hitting .300 for the month, I'm not sure why Ozzie keeps starting Mackowiak in CF every 3rd game.Mack in CF today was nowhere near the reason why we lost.

goon
07-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Isn't that exactly what an offense is supposed to do? Situational hitting and fundamentals? I don't care if a guy hits .400 with two outs and nobody on, he's probably not coming home.

Clutch hitting has been present all year, but the fundamentals have not at all. Uribe ALMOST got that bunt down, and if he did, Podsednik's ground out at least scores a run. That is something to complain about.

True, the starting pitching has been bad, but this game, even after Freddy's vomit fest in the first inning, was still winnable. The top two guys in the batting order had a great day at the plate and gave the team chances again and again. The bullpen was solid and stopped the Yanks at six, and if it weren't for two hurtful baserunning errors, three big double plays, and two failed bunt attempts in a row, we would have had this game.

situational hitting for the most part has been there, fundamentals though... The problem is that Freddy gave up three runs in the first inning. it has to be difficult for an offense, mentally, to constantly be digging your starting pitcher out of a hole. i don't care how much Freddy "kept them in the game", you can't give up six runs everytime you pitch and expect your offense to bail you out.

Brian26
07-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Did you just jump on the Sox bandwagon last October sometime during the ALCS? You've never gone through a pennant race as a fan? If you're on the ledge now, how in the hell did you survive last September (when the Sox not only had a shot at losing the division lead, but also not even winning the wild card)? Get a grip.

Brian26
07-16-2006, 04:56 PM
The only positives here were AJ, Iguchi, and Podsednik with the bat and the bullpen.

Don't forget BA.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Brian:

It seems to me they are now in exactly the same position, with a chance to miss out on the divisional lead and the wild card.

The good news I guess is that it's July 16th instead of September 16th but the way the schedule ends doesn't bode well unless they pick up the pace and get some consistently between now and then.

Lip

digdagdug23
07-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Did you just jump on the Sox bandwagon last October sometime during the ALCS? You've never gone through a pennant race as a fan? If you're on the ledge now, how in the hell did you survive last September (when the Sox not only had a shot at losing the division lead, but also not even winning the wild card)? Get a grip.

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

It's like some never watched the Sox until the ALDS or sumfin, for sobbing out loud.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
First of all, for the benefit of The Dude, MarySwiss, and Daver,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIGHHHHHH!!!!!! [splat]

Hope that brightens your day! :smile:

Anyway, I personally am using the phrase "on the ledge" not to mean that I'm abandoning the season, but that I'm suffering from profound anxiety that has me pondering the unthinkable (which would be abandoning the season). Just like the suicidal people you see in TV shows or movies sometimes go out to a window ledge and stand there, perhaps wanting to be rescued or comforted more than wanting to actually do the deed.

Of course, with friends like the aforementioned who are only too happy to push, the phrase evidently means something else. Or not. I don't know. I didn't mean to offend.

It's not meant as a rational reaction. It's pure emotion. And, in my case at least, I only resort to the phrase when I see things that are well outside the normal vagaries of the 162-game season. We've seen pretty crap-tacular ball from the Sox in most of their last 6 or 7 games, although they were fortunate enough to win a couple of those, and the pitching really does seem ominous.
I thought once you jump, usually you can't post afterwards???:redneck
Regardless you need to rethink your status as a sports fan because if every season doesnt go your way and you get suicidal feelings.....maybe sports isnt for you!

buehrle4cy05
3. I'm still waiting for Ozzie or Kenny to go off on one 'mother of all tirades.'

I completely agree with you, Lip. Ozzie knows when to push the buttons, and a nice little tirade could light a fire under this team. Look at what happened with Detroit when Leyland ripped into them in April.

Sox-o-matic
Wow...just friggin' wow.

A few thoughts:

1. If Paulie was sick he shouldn't have been playing.
Period. End of discussion.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Hb48oY3_dvTZFM:ca1n.c.yimg.jp/sportsnavi/200485/sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/pict/200506/konerko.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ca1n.c.yimg.jp/sportsnavi/200485/sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/pict/200506/konerko.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/mlb/05season/team/players/konerko.html&h=200&w=150&sz=10&hl=en&start=14&tbnid=Hb48oY3_dvTZFM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpaul%2Bkonerko%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)
"Oh, damn, that was some nasty chicken..."

::Strike one::

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Hb48oY3_dvTZFM:ca1n.c.yimg.jp/sportsnavi/200485/sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/pict/200506/konerko.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ca1n.c.yimg.jp/sportsnavi/200485/sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/pict/200506/konerko.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/mlb/05season/team/players/konerko.html&h=200&w=150&sz=10&hl=en&start=14&tbnid=Hb48oY3_dvTZFM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpaul%2Bkonerko%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)

"Oh, Jesus, that ****in' chicken..."

::Strike two::

"Oh no, I'm gonna pinch run..."

::hits into DP::

The Dude
07-16-2006, 05:01 PM
"Oh, damn, that was some nasty chicken..."

::Strike one::

"Oh, Jesus, that ****in' chicken..."

::Strike two::

"Oh no, I'm gonna pinch run..."

::hits into DP::

Dumbest post of the thread!

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:03 PM
situational hitting for the most part has been there, fundamentals though... The problem is that Freddy gave up three runs in the first inning. it has to be difficult for an offense, mentally, to constantly be digging your starting pitcher out of a hole. i don't care how much Freddy "kept them in the game", you can't give up six runs everytime you pitch and expect your offense to bail you out.

I agree that it would normally be tough to come out and score right away against a tough pitcher, but come on, it's Jaret Wright we're talking about. If he were one of the guys we had to face during that run we had extending from the Texas series through all of interleague play, we would have absolutely murdered that guy, down 3-1 or not.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Brian:

It seems to me they are now in exactly the same position, with a chance to miss out on the divisional lead and the wild card.

The good news I guess is that it's July 16th instead of September 16th but the way the schedule ends doesn't bode well unless they pick up the pace and get some consistently between now and then.

Lip

So what you're saying Lip, is that you're really glad it's not two months from now because if it were two months from now we'd be in big trouble, but we're not two months from now, so we're not really in as bad shape as all that, but you're going to behave as if we are. Do I understand you correctly? :D:

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Obviously, but it illustrates a point doesn't it? I mean unless the guy is having bouts of excessive diarrhea it shouldn't affect his ability to hit the baseball.

goon
07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I agree that it would normally be tough to come out and score right away against a tough pitcher, but come on, it's Jaret Wright we're talking about. If he were one of the guys we had to face during that run we had extending from the Texas series through all of interleague play, we would have absolutely murdered that guy, down 3-1 or not.
absolutely, they didn't get to him like they should have, that will happen to any offense. the problem is freddy didn't keep it close enough. the offense had too many missed opportunities today, therefore it was freddy's job to keep it close, he didn't do a good job... and that IS his job.

Dancin' Homer
07-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Of course the Sox aren't out of it but, over the long haul, the prospects are not good if they play like they did in New York.

This team did not win last year by swinging for the damn fences every at bat.

This team did not win last year by not getting the big out when necessary.

Can they turn it around, of course! There is actually no doubt in my mind that they will, Ozzie is a good manager with a good staff and there is good leadership on this team.

However, I am sad that my Sunday night and all day Monday are going to be poopy because of a loss. (Yes, losses bum me out until the next win)

The Dude
07-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Obviously, but it illustrates a point doesn't it? I mean unless the guy is having bouts of excessive diarrhea it shouldn't affect his ability to hit the baseball.

Yes it does but it's another anti-PK post and I for one am sick of them!:angry:

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Ouch is right! I agree

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:13 PM

Have you ever tried to swing a bat against a 90-mph fast ball after puking your guts out?

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Have you ever tried to swing a bat against a 90-mph fast ball after puking your guts out?

In a 90-100 degree oven to boot.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-16-2006, 05:15 PM
This is that patch that every team goes through where you cringe at every opportunity. Bases loaded opportunities squandered. Errors. Pitching goes to crap. Nobody can get the big hit. Losses mount.

Man, don't you love the "we're pressing and struggling" days?

They make the fans wake up and say, "Damn, it's not easy being a baseball fan. ****!"

Then, the lights come on, and the two out doubles come back, the cutters cut, and the double play grounders are coming from THEIR bats. All of a sudden, we're winning again.

Damn, I love baseball. I'm as big a Sox fan as it gets, but I embrace these times of the season. They make wins that much sweeter (as long as there's a lot more W's than L's.)

Everything will be fine. :bandance:

Good post. You're right, this separates the bandwagon fans from the true believers. Lot of people got spoiled real fast. I'm old enough to remember some REALLY BAD teams. Didn't think I'd live long enough to see a World Series win. (cliche alert!) Gotta take the bad with the good

The Dude
07-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Good post. You're right, this separates the bandwagon fans from the true believers. Lot of people got spoiled real fast. I'm old enough to remember some REALLY BAD teams. Didn't think I'd live long enough to see a World Series win. (cliche alert!) Gotta take the bad with the good

:welcome:And good first post! A non-negative post!:D:

Sxy Mofo
07-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I was watching this special on the bulls 72-10 season. (they had guys talking about that season). One radio host said people were calling in distraught after a loss, like the wheels were ready to fall off. He says he said something like, "guys, we're 45-4, it's ok"

It's 3 games, and yes, they played crappy, but it's only 3 games. We'll be alright.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes it does but it's another anti-PK post and I for one am sick of them!:angry:

So people are not supposed to complain when a guy screws up?

Besides, I cant recall even one anti-Paulie post, thread, or anything since our slump last summer. It's not like the guy isn't a hero around these parts.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
So people are not supposed to complain when a guy screws up?

Besides, I cant recall even one anti-Paulie post, thread, or anything since our slump last summer. It's not like the guy isn't a hero around these parts.

So he is due to get drilled by the fans?:?:

slobes
07-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Tough to win when your starters (minus Contreras) are giving up 5+ per game recently.

This is pretty much what it boils down to. Hawk was talking about it today during the game. When your starting pitchers starting picking it up, everything else will click into place. I think once someone busts out an 8 inning, 1 run performance, we'll be back on track.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:20 PM

I doubt Paulie would have played if he were puking his guts out before the game. With a crappy RHP in Wright on the mound Guillen would have started Gload.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I doubt Paulie would have played if he were puking his guts out before the game. With a crappy RHP in Wright on the mound Guillen would have started Gload.

Maybe he wasn't before today's game, but he was before yesterday's. So maybe he wasn't quite back to 100%.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
So he is due to get drilled by the fans?:?:

No, but he's fair game just like anyone else who helps lose a game.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-16-2006, 05:29 PM
:welcome:And good first post! A non-negative post!:D:

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for awhile. Much better boards(less negative, less childish posts) over here than on the MLB site.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for awhile. Much better boards(less negative, less childish posts) over here than on the MLB site.

We do have our negative and childish moments, though.

The Dude
07-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, yes, we sure do get our share of negative posts, dark clouds, and very dumb childish posts here! But obviously far less than the other Sox sites!:D:

EDIT: Torn beat me to it!

Corlose 15
07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
There are a couple things that are bugging me about this team. Obviously the starting pitching isn't there and that makes a big difference. It sucks to get an early run and then have the starting pitcher promptly serve up two gopher balls. Also, while this team is MUCH MUCH better w/ RISP this year I don't think they're as good fundamentally as they were last year. It seems (and I may be wrong) that they're not moving runners over as well this year and the bunting has been atrocious. Likewise the baserunning has been lax at times.

They need to straighten things out and play the way they'll capable of because this is a VERY talented team.

Also, now that he's finally hitting I'd like to see Anderson in CF as much as possible.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
We do have our negative and childish moments, though.

Not near as bad tho. No race, ethnicity, orientation, etc. stuff.

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Thank God the Royals held a lead.The Sox head to Motown
4 1/2 out of first place.The team has hit a "pothole" in the road.
It's no longer just a "bump".If this team doesn't get its collective
head out of its ass,they could be 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 out of first by
Friday.Baseball is all about momentum.Right now,the Sox have
very little.This series sucked all the way around.The pitching was
horrible,the offense was,well,offensive. Talk about a lost weekend.

MadetoOrta
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
This is not good. I hope KW doesn't give away the farm for temporary relief. They say it's never as bad as it appears and never quite as good as it appears. This is bad.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Not near as bad tho. No race, ethnicity, orientation, etc. stuff.

People have tried. They have disappeared, never to return. Those items will never become an issue here.

hsnterprize
07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by aryzner

Meaning?

I like his attitude. And he is dead right: All teams suffer letdowns, and Detroit has not as of yet. If they can get through the rest of the season playing the way they've played so far, they'll deserve to win the division. But I wouldn't care to bet on that happening.

I'm not going to make excuses for this team. It's pretty obvious they played less-than-stellar this weekend, and it's more than embarrassing to us as fans as well as the players. But, I'm going to agree with MarySwiss on this one. This is their "funk" for 2006. They went through the same kind of funk last year, and it was labelled by many in the local and national media as a "choke waiting to happen". Well, we all know what happened next, don't we?

So...the moral of this story is...yes, we can be upset and dissappointed with our team's performance this weekend. But...this season isn't over yet. We are STILL in 1st place in the A.L. Wildcard race, and we're still not too far from 1st place in the division. Detroit is playing hotter than hell right now, but that's not expected to continue. Even the "experts" agree that sooner or later, Detroit will start to fade. The only question is will our Sox be able to take advantage of the situation? We as fans want them to, and I'm sure Ozzie and Kenny will have a few choice words for the team to "motivate" them if you will.

Chin up, Sox fans. We're not dead yet. And as talented as this team is, the "difibulator" of a hot streak is all that's needed to get this team back on the right track.

veeter
07-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Paulie does what he does best. GIDP. :angry: *****, Paulie could hit into 20 straight double plays and it would not compare to what he does GREAT for this team. Open your freakin eyes and realize the starting pitching is killing this team. Not the pen, not the bats, NOT ****ing Brian Anderson, but the STARTING pitching.

SOXSINCE'70
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
the starting pitching is killing this team. Not the pen.

There are pitchers in the bullpen.They deserve some blame.Not as
much as the starters,but some blame.

palehozenychicty
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I was watching this special on the bulls 72-10 season. (they had guys talking about that season). One radio host said people were calling in distraught after a loss, like the wheels were ready to fall off. He says he said something like, "guys, we're 45-4, it's ok"

It's 3 games, and yes, they played crappy, but it's only 3 games. We'll be alright.

It's all true. They played horribly throughout this series. They STILL had chances to get friday's and sunday's games, but it didn't happen. This is I think, the root of people's frustration. But they have a plane ride/day off to reflect, get recharged, and show detroit who the division kings are.

veeter
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
There are pitchers in the bullpen.They deserve some blame.Not as
much as the starters,but some blame.Thornton, Cotts, McCarthy and of course Jenks have been very good, if not excellent. Politte has sucked, and he's gone. Riske has been o.k. Some blame goes to the pen, but to me no where near enough to be the complete focus of every trade idea. Flash Gordon, no thanks.

Corlose 15
07-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Thornton, Cotts, McCarthy and of course Jenks have been very good, if not excellent. Politte has sucked, and he's gone. Riske has been o.k. Some blame goes to the pen, but to me no where near enough to be the complete focus of every trade idea. Flash Gordon, no thanks.

I totally agree, its not the BP that has been the problem. The starting pitching has been mediocre. Not to mention that the BP just got better becacuse I guarantee that Tracey will not have a 8.70 ERA. It'll be 8.60 at the most.:redneck

eurotrash35
07-16-2006, 06:09 PM
well I'm glad I wasn't able to catch a single game this series aside from an inning here or there. I'm not going to say anything at all about the offense, they can't be on point for 162 games a year. we have far more runs scored than any other team in MLB and they have been performing way better than expected all year. however I am going to go off on the pitching staff. they are just complete garbage lately. they've never been all there yet this year and we're already a sweep into the second half. I was surprised to hear about the trade rumors last week but now I hope it helps to kick some of these guys in the ass before they get traded away to a team that isn't going to get them 5-6 runs a game.

I hope kenny pulls something like this off if nobody steps up their game because we can't be sitting around forever waiting for the starters to finally show up. it's time for them to get back into form. I find it hard to believe that nobody has been able to even sniff their 2005 performances; they're all pitching like dog****. even jose has been doing it with smoke and mirrors the past couple of months. time to get it together.

veeter
07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Like I said in the game thread, why not demote someone to the pen. Slide McCarthy into the rotation and send a message to the guys, that suckiness will not be tolerated. The Buehrle thing, to me, is his annual dead arm period. He will get through it and proceed to win. But Freddy and/or Javy need a kick in the ass. Plus, let's find out how good McCarthy can be over many starts. Then you haven't had to trade anybody.

eurotrash35
07-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Like I said in the game thread, why not demote someone to the pen. Slide McCarthy into the rotation and send a message to the guys, that suckiness will not be tolerated. The Buehrle thing, to me, is his annual dead arm period. He will get through it and proceed to win. But Freddy and/or Javy need a kick in the ass. Plus, let's find out how good McCarthy can be over many starts. Then you haven't had to trade anybody.

if they don't pick it up over their next two starts I wouldn't mind seeing one of them go. no reason to stick a $10M starter in the bullpen when we could make a killing on the market. let somebody else pay to take a chance on them. we have a solid McCarthy to take the spot and will be able to get a lot in return.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-16-2006, 06:26 PM
People have tried. They have disappeared, never to return. Those items will never become an issue here.

Good to know.
GO SOX!

thomas35forever
07-16-2006, 06:34 PM
What's happened to our timely hitting? They're supposed to bail out our rotation, which is an even bigger problem. I'd say start McCarthy over Vazquez after the Detroit start. We can't do it this time around taking a three-game losing streak into Detroit. Maybe we can trade Cliff for Anthony Reyes.:rolleyes:

veeter
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
if they don't pick it up over their next two starts I wouldn't mind seeing one of them go. no reason to stick a $10M starter in the bullpen when we could make a killing on the market. let somebody else pay to take a chance on them. we have a solid McCarthy to take the spot and will be able to get a lot in return.You're not going to "make a killing" when the guy you're trading sucks right now. Freddy will hopefully straighten out. The demotion would be to send a message. Hopefully he would pitch his way back to the rotation.

eurotrash35
07-16-2006, 07:48 PM
You're not going to "make a killing" when the guy you're trading sucks right now. Freddy will hopefully straighten out. The demotion would be to send a message. Hopefully he would pitch his way back to the rotation.

well maybe not relatively speaking but freddy or javier would definitely bring quite a bit in a trade.

Credefan21
07-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Some of you need to wake up and realize that this team is having some problems. The pitching hasn't been very great for awhile now. So you can talk about dark cloud this and that all you want to try to make yourself sleep better at night but it isn't going to change the fact that this team has some things that need to be improved or fixed. Be realistic here. Look at our starters ERA's. Being overly optomistic doesn't make it go away. Sorry. Kenny can fix this problem, or Ozzie can try and do something motivating, heck I don't know. But something has to be done and fast the way the Tigers are playing.

veeter
07-16-2006, 08:33 PM
well maybe not relatively speaking but freddy or javier would definitely bring quite a bit in a trade.I hope you're right. We'll see what happens.

hawkjt
07-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I looked at the career ERA's for our five starters and all but Jose are well over their career ERA's so far this year.

So either all have lost it simultaneously or they will have some good stretches to get back close to their career numbers.

I chose to go with the latter. Freddie may be the exception as it is apparent he has lost about 5mph. Could be winding down on his career as a power pitcher.

Just have to hang in and have faith- what choice do we have?

Suburbanbuddha
07-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I just wrote a looong post venting about the crappy play the last couple weeks. The shaky pitching, stranded runners, no dicipline at the plate, trying to win with the three run homer, etc... But I lost it trying to run the spellchecker. So I've got nothing else to add. It's just that I had dinner at my Grandmother-in-law's house where I spent the evening getting crap from a 70 year old Yankee fan. At least the meatballs were good - kinda reminded me of Freddy's curve ball today - OH MAN here I go again!!!!
Anyway here's hoping Ozzieball returns in Detroit.

rick smeitz
07-16-2006, 11:25 PM
yup

southsideirish71
07-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Freddy Garcia was touched up for six runs over seven innings against the Yankees today.
Garcia gave up nine hits, including a pair of homers to Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter. The right-hander has now surrendered 22 long balls on the season, tying him with Rodrigo Lopez for third highest in the AL. He just doesn't have any pitch he can use to get a good hitter out. Unless he regains some velocity, it's hard to see how the White Sox could possibly start him in a playoff game.Jul. 16 - 5:29 pm et

Where did his velocity go?

pczarapa
07-16-2006, 11:57 PM
We just need to charge up and right the ship against the Tigers, opportunity to cut the lead to 1 1/2. Hang on dark clouds, the sun will rise again.

pczarapa
07-16-2006, 11:59 PM

And that's what makes this a great forum

SpartanSoxFan
07-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I think Freddy is legitimately hurt. At the beginning of the season, his velocity was down and then he got it back up to the mid-90s, but now it is consistently 88-89 on his fastball. Not sure what I would do, but I'm sure McCarthy could fill the hole for now.

Soxfanspcu11
07-17-2006, 12:23 AM
For those of you "on the ledge", I strongly suggest that you step back. This is a very good team, well all know that. They have been struggling in the past 2 series, and that is a concern.

The starting pitching isin't close to what it should be, that is a concern. We are not hitting with RISP, that also is a concern.

But let's take in the long-view. We have the 2nd best record in the league and we play in the toughest division. We have hit a bit of a rough patch, no doubt, but champions overcome it. Let's not forget that this team is field tested from what happened to them in August/September of last year.

Also, let's not forget that we are the defending World Champions, we have a VERY LARGE target on our backs. EVERYONE is after us. Last year, we flew under the radar, this year, we are public enemy #1.

The secret is out, teams know that MB throws first pitch strikes, so they are lighting him up on first pitch fastball. Teams know that Freddy throws a lot of pitches, they are being patient. Everyone is gunning for us, and you better believe that opposing teams saw what we did last year. I would venture to say that the managers of whomever we are playing go over and over the scouting report on the Sox. Despite all this, we still have the 2nd best record in baseball, sounds alright to me!

And all of you die-hard fans know that Kenny and Ozzie WILL NOT tolerate extended periods of losing. They won't tolerate a problem with the team, and they won't hesitate to fix it.

JR has basically given Kenny a blank check, if a problem exists, I have full faith that it will be fixed. Look at Cliff. The Sox gave him EVERY opportunity to fix himself and he just couldn't do it. Well, the Sox have taken the proper actions to fix that problem.

Last year at this time, I could almost understand the dark clouds. I understood where the frustration was coming from (88 years without a World Series, team in '94 that could/should have won it, white-flag of 1997, collapse in 2000, falling to pieces in 2003, etc.) However, all of that should have gone away on October 26th, 2005.

You guys "on the ledge" must realize what this team has already accomplished and what they are capable of accomplishing. I firmly believe that they are the best team in baseball, hands down. Champions rise to the challenge, and this team will do so.

Prior to 2005, I always had a terrible feeling about the Sox going into "pressure" games or series. It always just seemed as if they would blow it when it mattered most. I have had my heart broken way too many times to remember by the Sox. But like I said, 10/26/05 changed ALL of that.

I have nothing but faith in this team. I have nothing but faith in the organization, specifically the management and ownership. As Kenny said, this is a team that truly HURTS when they lose.

I have to imagine that pretty much any other team and their fans would LOVE to be in the situation we are in, so just RELAX.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism about our team, but saying some of the incredibly negative things that I have read in this thread is just ridiculous. This team will bounce back, count on it. And to all of the "dark clouds" out there, please just be struck by lightning already and go away.

If this team hasn't proven something to you already, then they never will. Dark clouds, please go join a forum where losing is expected, I don't think real Sox fans want to read your tripe anyway.

Jjav829
07-17-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm sick of Konerko with those double plays.

I'm sick of his home runs, too...:rolleyes:

QCIASOXFAN
07-17-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm sick of his home runs, too...:rolleyes: I'm also sick of his .313 average :tongue:

Chips
07-17-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm sick of his home runs, too...:rolleyes:

And his .308 average and 68 RBI. :rolleyes:

Jjav829
07-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Some of you need to wake up and realize that this team is having some problems. The pitching hasn't been very great for awhile now. So you can talk about dark cloud this and that all you want to try to make yourself sleep better at night but it isn't going to change the fact that this team has some things that need to be improved or fixed. Be realistic here. Look at our starters ERA's. Being overly optomistic doesn't make it go away. Sorry. Kenny can fix this problem, or Ozzie can try and do something motivating, heck I don't know. But something has to be done and fast the way the Tigers are playing.

Yes, we are having problems. We had a stretch like this early in the year though. But they all stem from the starting pitching. We have three starters with ERAs over 5. One is near 4.5 and only one is well under 4. Given their histories, one would think they can't get much worse. While it's not unthinkable that one of two of them could just be having bad years (it happens), it's unlikely that all five starters will continue to struggle. I include Contreras because despite his overall numbers, he was awful in June.

The starters are going to start pitching better at some point and that's when the team will start winning more games. When that is, I don't know. It could coincide with a trade by KW or it just might take us going back home. Our starters all perform better at home than on the road, with the exception of Vazquez, who has done better on the road.

Jjav829
07-17-2006, 12:45 AM
And his .308 average and 68 RBI. :rolleyes:

Let's talk about the real problem: Thome.

Damnit, I'm sick of Thome's strikeouts. :angry:

:wink:

HerzogVon
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=The Dude]
>>Regardless you need to rethink your status as a sports fan because if every season doesnt go your way and you get suicidal feelings.....maybe sports isnt for you! <<

It's not hard to notice a strong hostility here towards those who tend to take a negative approach vs. the Little Mary Sunshine attitude, ie. you're somehow not a real fan if you don't "believe". Sorry, I don't buy it. There's nothing wrong with pessimism, so long as it doesn't turn mean spirited. Besides, one person's negativity is another's "realism".

Sometimes, anger and frustration are a way of coping. It doesn't make you any less of a fan - much less, a "bandwagon jumper" - to look on the dark side. If that's how you really see it, then anything else would be dishonest.

I really hope I'm wrong about this team, and that they can turn it around. Looking at the starting pitching, as well as the increasing reliance on long ball vs. fundamentals however, that seems increasingly unlikely. In any event, I survived 1967, so suicide at this point would appear to be a longshot. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the quotes work, and sometimes they don't.

jenn2080
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM

:wink:

Im sick of Freddy and his giving up a **** ton of HRs every game and his Zambrano like hissy fits on the mound. Screw that noise. It could be worse he could have Todd Walker playing second behind him who cant catch a ball or throw one to first. It would a small slice of heaven if our starters can get it together. Sure most of them have a decent win records, but seriously the record isnt much to go off of. There have been quite a few no decision games that they have taken much part of when we lose. So if you factor in the games we lose that could as a no decision most of them arent doin that hot. Other then Jose on Friday which looking at the score he didnt do that bad(I wasnt able to watch the game but I do no after a ****ty call he fell off), he is the only pitcher thus far who is pulling his weight.

Deuce
07-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Damnit, I'm sick of Thome's strikeouts. :angry: Don't forget the return of GiDPK. :cuss:

Konerko 2005: 9 GiDPs

Konerko 2006 (so far): 15 GiDPs :cower:

soxfanatlanta
07-17-2006, 09:04 AM
The starters are going to start pitching better at some point and that's when the team will start winning more games. When that is, I don't know. It could coincide with a trade by KW or it just might take us going back home. Our starters all perform better at home than on the road, with the exception of Vazquez, who has done better on the road.

Barring injury - I agree with your post; they will improve to some degree. I do wish they would hurry the hell up, though. Seeing them get pummeled this weekend was about as unpleasant as it gets.

We should put Thome to sleep, too. He strikes out too much.

tstrike2000
07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Like someone else said, I too wanted to thank the White Sox for helping me get back into working out after a few months off. I started back after the Red Sox series and after this weekend, it helped to work off the baseball tension.

jenn2080
07-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Like someone else said, I too wanted to thank the White Sox for helping me get back into working out after a few months off. I started back after the Red Sox series and after this weekend, it helped to work off the baseball tension.

I was going threw baseball with draws by the end of the week and was excited to sit and watch Sundays game. That lasted all of one innings when Freddy gave up back to back HRs. I then got ready and went shopping and lunch. ...anything but sit in waste my day watching baseball.

INSox56
07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah we should have started that healthy Gload.:rolleyes:

I don't understand what issues people have with starting Gload. The guy's batting .295 for christ sake. Even if he makes an out, I haven't seen him hit into a DP once this year, that'll at least give us another AB to try to hit someone in.

jenn2080
07-17-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't understand what issues people have with starting Gload. The guy's batting .295 for christ sake. Even if he makes an out, I haven't seen him hit into a DP once this year, that'll at least give us another AB to try to hit someone in.

agree i dont see him as a huge liability like politte or rob in center.

southside rocks
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM

The tricky thing about that, I think, is that to start Gload, you sit your team captain. The effects of that, mentally and on team "chemistry" (or psychologically), may not be what you're after.

As we all know, managing a baseball team is about more than righty/lefty matchups and putting the best batting averages into the lineup on any given day. It's about managing people -- professional athletes, who have egos that ain't small, and who can get flummoxed by the smallest change to their routines. Just because the fans don't see most of that stuff doesn't mean it isn't a factor, a big one, for Ozzie.

Think what you want of BA, but the way Ozzie handled him in the early part of the year has led to BA's current performance, which is a huge improvement over his first two months. As long as Ozzie talked about platooning in center, and maybe sending BA to Charlotte, Anderson was as jittery as a cat in a dog kennel. Once Ozzie and KW came out and affirmed that BA is here to stay, the effect on Anderson was immediate and noticeable. That night, he made one of the greatest catches of his young career, and the next night he started hitting respectably and he hasn't stopped.

It's the people-managing aspect of the job that makes Ozzie's task so challenging, and so rewarding when it all works right.

I agree that Gload should play more, but I think it should be when PK is taken out after the 5th inning, or when there's a day game after a night fame. Being a sub for a guy like PK is a tough assignment and it's difficult to do justice to that player.

INSox56
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
The tricky thing about that, I think, is that to start Gload, you sit your team captain. The effects of that, mentally and on team "chemistry" (or psychologically), may not be what you're after.

As we all know, managing a baseball team is about more than righty/lefty matchups and putting the best batting averages into the lineup on any given day. It's about managing people -- professional athletes, who have egos that ain't small, and who can get flummoxed by the smallest change to their routines. Just because the fans don't see most of that stuff doesn't mean it isn't a factor, a big one, for Ozzie.

Think what you want of BA, but the way Ozzie handled him in the early part of the year has led to BA's current performance, which is a huge improvement over his first two months. As long as Ozzie talked about platooning in center, and maybe sending BA to Charlotte, Anderson was as jittery as a cat in a dog kennel. Once Ozzie and KW came out and affirmed that BA is here to stay, the effect on Anderson was immediate and noticeable. That night, he made one of the greatest catches of his young career, and the next night he started hitting respectably and he hasn't stopped.

It's the people-managing aspect of the job that makes Ozzie's task so challenging, and so rewarding when it all works right.

I agree that Gload should play more, but I think it should be when PK is taken out after the 5th inning, or when there's a day game after a night fame. Being a sub for a guy like PK is a tough assignment and it's difficult to do justice to that player.

Oh yeah all understandably so. But if PK isn't 100%, Gload should NOT be looked badly upon as his replacement. That was my argument. I don't think he should replace PK in most normal circumstances, but when he's not 100% and people are rolling their eyes....that's just saying a not healthy PK is better than "crappy gload". Come on.

southside rocks
07-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah all understandably so. But if PK isn't 100%, Gload should NOT be looked badly upon as his replacement. That was my argument. I don't think he should replace PK in most normal circumstances, but when he's not 100% and people are rolling their eyes....that's just saying a not healthy PK is better than "crappy gload". Come on.

Oh, I get it. Yeah, I agree. I think PK should have sat out one or two of the NY games, and Ozzie should have made him sit out. Probably with Iguchi still favoring that ankle, and Crede out of the Saturday game after he got hit by a pitch on Friday, PK thought that he was needed in both games. Nice sentiment, but bad results. Gload would have been the good move there.

The only thing Ozzie does that I don't see the sense of is start Mack in CF against right-handed pitching. I think Anderson should start in CF *all the time* now, and I think Mack should be used as a pinch-hitter or a late-inning sub for Pods or Dye. Every time I see Mack starting in CF I think the team is worse off for it.

tstrike2000
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Thome's always struck out a lot, but don't you think he's made up for it with a .300 avg 31 hr 80 rbi's and .418 OBP? His K's have come at bad times the last few series, but the real problem is just a team playing poorly and no pitching.

jenn2080
07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh, I get it. Yeah, I agree. I think PK should have sat out one or two of the NY games, and Ozzie should have made him sit out. Probably with Iguchi still favoring that ankle, and Crede out of the Saturday game after he got hit by a pitch on Friday, PK thought that he was needed in both games. Nice sentiment, but bad results. Gload would have been the good move there.

The only thing Ozzie does that I don't see the sense of is start Mack in CF against right-handed pitching. I think Anderson should start in CF *all the time* now, and I think Mack should be used as a pinch-hitter or a late-inning sub for Pods or Dye. Every time I see Mack starting in CF I think the team is worse off for it.

AMEN! Def not good for the pitchers when they know they got Golden Glove Rob behind them in center.

Law11
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
So many little issues going on yesterday, from coaching to execution by the players.. or lack there-of..

Mack had no business in CF..and Yankee stadium on top of that...
Joey had NO businees sending a sore Crede to his doom at the plate.
Thome's non-slide.. (I'm wishy-washy on this) I dont want the guy hurting his back sliding but geez. he had to pull up to not overrun the base and it cost him.

of course the Double playes by PK and Scotty always suck the air out of an inning...

Glad its over.. Now time to handle our business before things get out of whack. I actually like Jon tomorrow night. I have more confience in him the JV or freddy by far.

Jjav829
07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Thome's always struck out a lot, but don't you think he's made up for it with a .300 avg 31 hr 80 rbi's and .418 OBP? His K's have come at bad times the last few series, but the real problem is just a team playing poorly and no pitching.

I find it funny how you deleted the ":wink: " which I put in simply to show I was joking.

tstrike2000
07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I find it funny how you deleted the &quot;:wink: &quot; which I put in simply to show I was joking. Ahh yes, the moderators here are very astute. Actually, I didn't even see it. Just copied and pasted the words and added the quote at the end of it...my bad. Sorry about that. I just assumed jokes are either pink or teal.

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Ahh yes, the moderators here are very astute. Actually, I didn't even see it. Just copied and pasted the words and added the quote at the end of it...my bad. Sorry about that. I just assumed jokes are either pink or teal.

Deep pink = wishful thinking
Teal = sarcasm
smileys = everything else

tstrike2000
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Deep pink = wishful thinking
Teal = sarcasm
smileys = everything else

Thanks...love your articles by the way.