PDA

View Full Version : This team is GREAT

oeo
07-16-2006, 01:34 AM
I can't stand the pessimism around here. It's getting quite ridiculous.

Look...we're 4.5 games behind a team that has played unbelievable all year. Yeah, they're good, yeah, they're for real...but they are not this good. Remember last season...the majority here KNEW the Indians would cool off eventually, and they did. How much longer can the Tigers keep this up? They aren't invincible, they will hit a bad stretch like we have, arguably, gone through all year.

Our pitching: it's underachieved, yeah...but tell me the truth: do you not think it's possible that Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez can turn it around? I've never seen Buehrle pitch this bad, Freddy has had his flashes of greatness, but he's been inconsistent. And as for Javy, I really don't know what we're going to get out of him right now. He needs some stones, but he has the stuff to help this team a lot down the stretch.

Put a smile on, stop freaking out. I'm sick of hearing how our centerfielder sucks, our rotation sucks, and our bullpen sucks. This team is the best in baseball, I really don't give a **** what anyone else thinks. You can throw stats in my face and tell me this guy isn't doing this or that, I don't care. I know what this team is capable of when they turn it on, and they will turn it on.

I'm not worried about our centerfielder, our rotation, or our bullpen. Ozzie will not let this season get away, this team will not let this season get away. They're too good to do that, and if all you Home Fish and LipMen don't believe it, just think back when they clinch the division in September about how stupid you were for stressing out over a little cold streak.

They will win tomorrow, and they will take that momentum into Detroit and show them who's boss. It's time for Sox fans to be optimists for once...there's no reason not to.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks OEO, I was actually gunna start one of these threads myself. This team IS great, and I can't stand anyone who thinks otherwise. Coop will work is magic like he always does, and I forsee a crow banquet going on here in the next couple of weeks. GO WHITE SOX!

thomas35forever
07-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Thank you! Your words are sure to spark us all as we head towards another world championship!:D:

Blackheart
07-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Excellent post! Couldnt have said it better myself.

Patrick134
07-16-2006, 01:50 AM
The Sox will slump, the Tigers will slump. The head to head games should all be important.

BainesHOF
07-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Our hitting is great, our bullpen is good, our starting rotation is average and our center fielder sucks. It's all going to depend on our starting rotation. If it doesn't improve, we're done. If it does improve, we have a chance to do some special things.

DeadMoney
07-16-2006, 02:23 AM
This team IS great.

Second best record in baseball for a reason.

IlliniSoxFan
07-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Exactly, thank you! Jesus, it's like people have forgotten that Mark typically has a poor stretch each year, that we felt the same way about Contreras last year as we do about Vazquez this year, and that we still have the second best record in baseball. This team will be fine. And, if it isn't, then I will wait to complain or lament it until it actually misses the playoffs.

sox1970
07-16-2006, 02:34 AM
This team is NOT great. Far from it. Sorry.

The offense is great. The defense is good. The rotation is mediocre. Jenks has been great, but the bullpen as a whole has been adequate at best.

Are they capable of playing better? Yes. But if the Sox go into the playoffs with the rotation throwing the way they are currently throwing, they will not make it past the first round.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I'm a realist. The offense has completely carried this team since Memorial Day. Offense can only take you so far. So we're left hoping for a pitching turnaround and getting hot at the right time.

CLR01
07-16-2006, 02:41 AM

The offense is great. The defense is good. The rotation is mediocre. The bullpen has been adequate at best.

Are they capable of playing better? Yes. But if the Sox go into the playoffs with the rotation throwing the way they are currently throwing, they will not make it past the first round.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, but I'm a realist. The offense has completely carried this team since Memorial Day. Offense can only take you so far. So we're left hoping for a pitching turnaround and getting hot at the right time.

Go be a "realist" in one of the pants pissing threads. The people who predicted the Indians to catch the Sox last year claimed they were realist too, we saw how that turned out. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 02:48 AM
Go be a "realist" in one of the pants pissing threads. The people who predicted the Indians to catch the Sox last year claimed they were realist too, we saw how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Really, can't the doomsayers just stick to the flawed thread? I mean we happy folks don't come over to their thread and plant gardens of daisys, least they can do is not pee in our flower bed in this one.

I'm not worried and I don't see a major reason to be worried unless suddenly the entire team decided to turn into a bunch of suckwads and the coaches forgot how to coach. I don't see that happening, even if this particular stretch has been a rough one against two powerful teams who are fighting hard not to be left behind.

Wake me for the Tigers series...

Timmy D's
07-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Good post!!! I was gettin tired of alot of the negativity in some of the posts. I've lived and died w/ this team for decades before they won it all, and my dad did for 7 decades w/ out a winner, but we still kept the faith all along. We're gonna have "stinkers" like we did today, all teams will. Bottom line I love this team, and I will follow them to the end of the earth win or lose, but hopefully, and God willing we will get to see another WS Championship. We have alot of games lefty w/ Detroit, and we are 5-1 thus fgar against them. Heck KC wont help us out, and we dump a few to the Yanks, no big deal, as we can pick up 3 in D in a hurry, then they come here startin' on Elvis night for 3 more. Let's keep the faith!!! Yes we looked just awefull today, we cant look any worse Sunday!!
Remember last year when we were down 1 game to Annaheim, I had to turn the radio off on the way to the game, as I couldnt handle all the negativity, on how it was over, and we were done, and we choked, etc. You copuld feel it in the park to, there was that "oh no" feel at the start of the game. Well I gotta tell ya w/ the exception of game 2 of the WS, that was the happiest and proudest I ever walked out of that park!!
Bottom line is, we have an awesome team here, that is strugglin a bit right now. Our pitching will come around, as they are too good not to. We have proved time and time again that we do NOT give up, Ozzie wont let them!! I think we all were a little spoiled, and cant accept anything but winning games, but we need to stay behind our team in a positive manner!!!! And yes I've had about 15 beers tonight.:gulp:

hi im skot
07-16-2006, 03:24 AM

Look...we're 4.5 games behind a team that has played unbelievable all year. Yeah, they're good, yeah, they're for real...but they are not this good. Remember last season...the majority here KNEW the Indians would cool off eventually, and they did. How much longer can the Tigers keep this up? They aren't invincible, they will hit a bad stretch like we have, arguably, gone through all year.

Our pitching: it's underachieved, yeah...but tell me the truth: do you not think it's possible that Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez can turn it around? I've never seen Buehrle pitch this bad, Freddy has had his flashes of greatness, but he's been inconsistent. And as for Javy, I really don't know what we're going to get out of him right now. He needs some stones, but he has the stuff to help this team a lot down the stretch.

Put a smile on, stop freaking out. I'm sick of hearing how our centerfielder sucks, our rotation sucks, and our bullpen sucks. This team is the best in baseball, I really don't give a **** what anyone else thinks. You can throw stats in my face and tell me this guy isn't doing this or that, I don't care. I know what this team is capable of when they turn it on, and they will turn it on.

I'm not worried about our centerfielder, our rotation, or our bullpen. Ozzie will not let this season get away, this team will not let this season get away. They're too good to do that, and if all you Home Fish and LipMen don't believe it, just think back when they clinch the division in September about how stupid you were for stressing out over a little cold streak.

They will win tomorrow, and they will take that momentum into Detroit and show them who's boss. It's time for Sox fans to be optimists for once...there's no reason not to.

Awesome.

POTW

CLR01
07-16-2006, 03:25 AM
We have proved time and time again that we do NOT give up, Ozzie wont let them!! I think we all were a little spoiled, and cant accept anything but winning games, but we need to stay behind our team in a positive manner!!!! And yes I've had about 15 beers tonight.:gulp:

15 beers works for you. :smile:

You're right this team has shown over and over again that they don't quit. We are lucky some of these posters are not the players/coaches/GM for the Sox or the white flag would have been waived back at the beginning of June.

Chisox003
07-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Optimism is GROWING!!!

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

Chips
07-16-2006, 04:21 AM

:thumbsup: There were way too many dark clouds in the game thread today after the first ****ing inning.

QCIASOXFAN
07-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Thank you for this thread! We have the best starting rotation in baseball and we are in 2nd place. Who the **** cares! Teams would die to have any one of our pitchers. If Kenny thinks he needs to make a trade so be it. The question I keep asking myself is what if the Tigers were still bad and we were right were we are right now. Would people still be crying?? People need to stop worrying about the Tigers and worry about the Sox. I hope the Tigers loose as much as the next guy but come on people. I keep seeing people post **** like we arer going to get swept by the Tigers and we are a flawed team. Give me a break, after 2 loses to the Yankees its time to throw in the towel?? This is a joke, settle the **** down and let this team play.

VenturaIsAGod
07-16-2006, 04:50 AM
I cautiously agree with all the optimism, and I definitely don't think it would be worrisome even if we get swept in New York. We're playing a team with a lot more on the line right now than us. We're the road team, they have to prove they belong with the best (Us) not only to the 55,000+ in the stands every day, but also to that control freak that runs their whole show. With a couple of notable exceptions, all their jobs are on the line, so I can understand them having more of a sense of urgency that our team, even though I don't like it. That being said, I fully expect a more tenacious team to show up against Detroit.

BadBobbyJenks
07-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Look Ill lash out at a "dark cloud" before anyone, but I think people jump on anyone who has anything negative to say before they even read it. Look I think this team can win it all, but anyone who thinks there are not legitimate concerns needs to drop the kool aid, its not 2005 ok? its not the same magical season, we need to be better than last year. The starters are not preforming to the level they were last year. Can they get better? Abso****inglutley. But to pretend nothing is wrong is ridiculous, as the team is today a repeat is questionable.

The dark clouds and kool aid drinkers need to come together and see what is really going on

Variable2
07-16-2006, 06:30 AM

The offense is great. The defense is good. The rotation is mediocre. Jenks has been great, but the bullpen as a whole has been adequate at best.

Do you honestly think the starting rotation will continue pitching the way they have lately throughout the ENTIRE second half, with Mark giving up 8 runs a game? Come on, I thought you were the realist. Seriously, they are just slumping, it happens, its baseball. Plus even if that were to happen, which it won't because it pretty much defies the law of averages, the Sox wouldn't be heading into the playoffs so it wouldn't matter then would it? Dumbass.

And to people who keep going on about how this team as it is today is questionable at best to repeat: BAD GAMES HAPPEN. There is no magic, things don't just happen because they were meant to be, the Sox didn't win the World Series because they had more magic than any other team or because they were destined to, get you heads out of your asses already with that. I'm sick and tired of that bull****. Bad games just ****ing happen. And so do a string of bad games and its called *GASP* a SLUMP. Every team has them, how many legitamate slumps have the Sox had this year? 2 maybe 3? Every team is flawed.

Thome25
07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
And if all else fails watch this intro video take two aspirin and call me in the morning:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hma9eEqouK8&search=white%20sox%20intro

This video WILL get you pumped about this season again and make all the dark clouds go away. GO SOX!!!!!!!!

southside rocks
07-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I've been a White Sox fan since 1967, and this is without a doubt the best Sox team I have seen in all that time. I think this team is better than last year's team; yes, the '05 Sox got better pitching performances from their starters (and sometimes bullpen), but there is a reason why even the baseball analysts who favor the east coast teams say that the '06 White Sox are the team to beat. This team really does have it all.

Whether or not this team goes all the way to another World Series Championship, this is one season and one team I am always going to remember, and I'm not going to spend the season freaking out about Mark Buerhle's bad starts, or Brian Anderson's batting difficulties.

If you listen to ESPN radio, they talk constantly about the dearth of solid pitching in both leagues, and the desperate need for starters that has all teams looking as the trade deadline nears. The Sox are not worse off than the rest of the majors in that area. The problems that the team is having can be ironed out, and with the caliber of players on the team, I believe they will be ironed out.

One thing that cracks me up is the posting that seems to suggest that the concerns either have not been noted by Ozzie and KW and the rest of Sox management, or aren't being addressed. I have never met anyone on an internet board who is qualified to be a manager or a GM of an MLB club. :D: No offense, just saying that what concerns us as fans is sure to concern Sox management 100 times as much, and they are the ones who can fix it -- and if they can, they will.

This is the part of the season where fans have to relax and show some faith in their team. It's easier to do when they're winning every day, but even when they lose, they're the same team and should get the same support from us, the fans.

I'm an optimist whose team is the World Series Champions and currently has the second best record in baseball with 2 1/2 months left to play. I don't do dark clouds.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Thread of the Day, excellent posts. Nice to see a few us that have optimism for the team!

WSox597
07-16-2006, 08:21 AM
One thing that cracks me up is the posting that seems to suggest that the concerns either have not been noted by Ozzie and KW and the rest of Sox management, or aren't being addressed. I have never met anyone on an internet board who is qualified to be a manager or a GM of an MLB club. No offense, just saying that what concerns us as fans is sure to concern Sox management 100 times as much, and they are the ones who can fix it -- and if they can, they will.

There is the situation in a nutshell. Ozzie and Williams know far more about baseball than anyone on the board. If members of the board see a problem, or think they do, rest assured the two guys running the team have seen it for what it was long before.

Go get 'em, Sox. And smoke Detroit next.

HerzogVon
07-16-2006, 09:07 AM
And to people who keep going on about how this team as it is today is questionable at best to repeat: BAD GAMES HAPPEN. There is no magic, things don't just happen because they were meant to be, the Sox didn't win the World Series because they had more magic than any other team or because they were destined to, get you heads out of your asses already with that. I'm sick and tired of that bull****. Bad games just ****ing happen. And so do a string of bad games and its called *GASP* a SLUMP. Every team has them, how many legitamate slumps have the Sox had this year? 2 maybe 3? Every team is flawed.

Protest all you want. The fact remains that it took from 1918 to 2005 before the heavens opened up and the deities finally deigned to smile upon the White Sox instead of defecating on them. No magic? How quickly we forget...

Remember the Indian's OF who lost the ball in the sun - with his shades on - and started the Tribe on the slide that eventually knocked them out of the playoffs? The subsequent momentum is what took us to, and through, the World Series. That was every bit as much divine intervention as the Miracle of Bartman in 2003. Do you honestly expect everything to break the same way two years in succession?

Yes, losses happen. Get enough of them, and you'll quickly find yourself on the outside looking in. Face it; this team has big problems, beginning with the starting rotation. ( Who would have thought that Garland would be the only starter on the ascendancy at this point? ) Add to that a general lack of hustle and purpose that seems to have infected most of the team - too much reliance on the big bats? - and you have more than enough reasons to worry.

Dark cloud, schmark cloud! I've been a Sox fan since 1952. I didn't manage to stay that way by being a pollyanna.

Cuck the Fubs
07-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Yes, losses happen. Get enough of them, and you'll quickly find yourself on the outside looking in. Face it; this team has big problems, beginning with the starting rotation. ( Who would have thought that Garland would be the only starter on the ascendancy at this point? ) Add to that a general lack of hustle and purpose that seems to have infected most of the team - too much reliance on the big bats? - and you have more than enough reasons to worry.

Dark cloud, schmark cloud! I've been a Sox fan since 1952. I didn't manage to stay that way by being a pollyanna.

Get yer dark cloud outta mah sunshine.............

The sky isn't falling...........let's just sit back and watch the rest of the season unfold.

If they fail to make the playoffs then we'll talk..........till then ZIP IT

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 09:45 AM
After reading a lot of these posts on some of these threads I have come to realize that it looks like a lot of people on here are not enjoying the 2006 baseball season. I know I am having a blast watching, listening and going to these games, I love this team.

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Look Ill lash out at a "dark cloud" before anyone, but I think people jump on anyone who has anything negative to say before they even read it. Look I think this team can win it all, but anyone who thinks there are not legitimate concerns needs to drop the kool aid, its not 2005 ok? its not the same magical season, we need to be better than last year. The starters are not preforming to the level they were last year. Can they get better? Abso****inglutley. But to pretend nothing is wrong is ridiculous, as the team is today a repeat is questionable.

The dark clouds and kool aid drinkers need to come together and see what is really going on

See, what you see as "problems" I see as "struggling for the moment". I felt the same way last year, even when the lead dropped down to 1.5 games and if you think the dark clouds are bad now, you should have seen what this place was like last September in the final two weeks. Heck, some nameless poster started a sarcastic sunny day thread asking it to be stuck until the Sox were "eliminated'. I almost restuck it after the Sox won it all, but settled for bookmarking it.

It's a little past the halfway mark and the Sox have the second best record in baseball. I ain't worrying about it at this stage of the game. Besides, there isn't a damned thing I can do about it. If TPTB (read: KW) feel the team needs something to get over the hump, I am sure they will do something about it...

Let the Sun shine
Let the Sun shine
Let the Sun shine
The Sun shine in...:)

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Protest all you want. The fact remains that it took from 1918 to 2005 before the heavens opened up and the deities finally deigned to smile upon the White Sox instead of defecating on them. No magic? How quickly we forget...

Remember the Indian's OF who lost the ball in the sun - with his shades on - and started the Tribe on the slide that eventually knocked them out of the playoffs? The subsequent momentum is what took us to, and through, the World Series. That was every bit as much divine intervention as the Miracle of Bartman in 2003. Do you honestly expect everything to break the same way two years in succession?

Fate and gawd have nothing to do with it.

Don't sell yourself short, you're a fine example of a dark cloud...:rolleyes:

YOU may have a good reason to worry, but I'm okay. I'm not jumping up and down about being 4.5 games out of first, but hey, **** happens in a 162 game season.

viagracat
07-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Count me in as one of the optimists. As one of the older posters here, I can recall decades of futility and endless frustration. When nobody gave a damn, including seemingly the players themselves. Being a Sox fan could be lonely at times. It's a new day, and I couldn't be happier for it. I'm not yet spoiled by success, and I probably never will be.

It's a new day because Ozzie cares, the players care, the fans care and are filling the park and, be design or default, Sox management is now committed to seeing a winner. We can remember Reinsdorf in the days before he attended charm school. Team chemistry is strong, and that wasn't always the case either. This team is positioned to be a contender for a long time. How many other teams can say that?

And since it's a new day, the team will respond to, really, what little adversity they've had lately. They're 24 games over .500; or as Rick Morrissey in the Trib pointed out in a pretty good column this morning, 6 games over .600. :smile:

Remember, the Sox just kicked the NL's asses. Say what you want about the NL, but they are still Major League teams. So not long ago they were on a roll. How soon we forget. :?: Maybe some people are spoiled and think that 16-4 runs should be routine with the Sox. Doesn't work that way, boys and girls. Never has, never will.

I think the Sox are about as good as last year, although I will say the AL competition is much stronger this season. It won't be easy to win the division, or even get the Wild Card, but they are in a better position to make the playoffs than about 22 other major league teams, and I like their chances.

If a move has to be made, they'll make one. They may have to rent a guy eventually to get over the hump. So what? I now trust the team to do what it takes to be a winner. And maybe I'm naive, but I think every player on the team is committed to winning. With this team. Right now. Again, I remember once upon a time when even that was questioned.

Except for head-to-head, you can't worry about what the Tigers, Yankees and Red Sox are doing. They're going to win or lose with or without your blessing. I'm not dumb or Pollyannish enough to think "everything will be fine, don't worry" without a lot of effort going into making that happen, but this team has the wherewithal to make it happen.

The alternative is to go 8.3 miles north and see all the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on up there. Be thankful we're not having to deal with that.

So sit back and relax. Enjoy. These are special times.

Go Sox.

nasox
07-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Nice thread. Brings a smile to my lips.

The Sox will win today, and will go into Detroit and perform to their abilities. It is as simple as that. Show some ****ing faith.

cbotnyse
There are 30 teams in MLB. We have a better record than 29 of them. Plus we are #1 in the ESPN power rankings!

We are struggling a bit right now and Detroit never seems to lose but I have faith in KW and Ozzie to right the ship.

And someone correct me here, but dont we have something like a 10 game lead on the Wild Card? I'll take that cusion with a playoff tested team like ours. Not to mention we are 24 games over the .500 mark. The dark clouds are not rolling in for me just yet.

paciorek1983
Every time the Sox lose a few, I always go back to Hawk's win 60-lose 60 theory, and it puts me at ease. I've talked to alot of out-of-town baseball fans and I'd have to say that 99% of them still think we're the team to beat. It seems the Sox get more credit from those on the outside looking in, than some of our own fans.

Sometimes, things are just timing and the law of averages. We're going thru a bad sreak right now, which of cousre is better than at the end of September. At some point, we're going to go through a real hot streak, hopefully it's when Detroit is going through a slump. I hate the fact that we're not in first, or at leas closer to first, but in reality, because of the law of averages, it's near impossible for Detroit to keep up with what they're doing right now.

No amount of darkness can hide a spark.

Jjav829
07-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Ok, so we have the overly pessimistic thread and the overly optimistic thread. Where's the just-right thread? :D:

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Ok, so we have the overly pessimistic thread and the overly optimistic thread. Where's the just-right thread? :D:
You're posting in it...:cool:

ode to veeck
07-16-2006, 11:05 AM
:thumbsup: There were way too many dark clouds in the game thread today after the first ****ing inning.

The game threads and chat are notorious low pressure weather zones, needing only an opposing hit or a SOX LOB to boil up full blown thunderheads.

We still got the best stable of starting pitching horses, period. We have a phenomenal infield and Anderson prowling CF makes Aaron look like Caballo when he first came up. We have some serious sticks all through the lineup and with Uribe and Anderson hitting much better after a slow start, should be able to win more games than the Kittens here on out. We are still the defending World Champions and have everyone trying to take us out this year, and yet, only the still smokin' hot kittens have a better record at this point.

Bring on the Kittens!!

mark2olson
07-16-2006, 11:18 AM
We started June with a somber streak of 1 and 3 while dropping a series to the Rangers in the process. After all was said and done, June turned out to be a pretty good month with a nice nine game winning streak.

Every team is going to have highs and lows, we shall see it the Kittens can keep up the torrid pace that they are on. If they can, I'll tip my cap to them.

We've got a fine lineup, fine starters, great offense, got some potential in the 'pen, and a great closer. And we've got Kenny and Ozzie, the best in the business, leading them all. I like our chances.

MarySwiss
07-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for this thread, oeo. People need to chill around here.

SouthSideSoxFan
07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
And someone correct me here, but dont we have something like a 10 game lead on the Wild Card?
More like 4 at the moment.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/wildcard.jsp

viagracat
07-16-2006, 11:22 AM
And someone correct me here, but dont we have something like a 10 game lead on the Wild Card? I'll take that cusion with a playoff tested team like ours. Not to mention we are 24 games over the .500 mark. The dark clouds are not rolling in for me just yet.

I wish you were right on the WC thing, but right now the Sox have a 4-game WC lead over the Yanks. I don't think the Yanks or the BoSox are going anywhere, so as I said before, it'll be tough and interesting, but the Sox have the guts to get it done.

Beat the Yankees today, bring on Detroit and start from there.

slobes
07-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Sweet thread oeo.

What people don't realize is that we are still in the lead (even though it is the Wild Card). If the season were to end today, we'd be in the playoffs. If we played exactly the same way in the 2nd half as we did in the first half, and so did the Yankees, we'd be in the playoffs. All teams have ups and downs. We had a 9 game winning streak earlier this year. Who's to say we won't have another one of those soon.

Dolanski
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
So we are stumbling, A LITTLE. It will happen. For that matter, its not like we are getting beaten by bad teams, we are talking losing two series to two very good ballclubs.

The thing that makes me so optimistic, the Tigers have yet to really stumble. No team goes through an entire season without a slump. Also, they didn't do so hot against the Red Sox or Yankees either. Hats off to them for playing great ball thus far, but don't sell us short either. We are playing over .600 ball. We are on pace to win over 100 games. I think I can step back from the ledge with that kind of performance.

But for the naysayers, how about this. If we go .500 the rest of the year, we still win 93 games. The magic number for wins is 94. Only one team in the wild card era has won more than 94 games and missed the playoffs (99 Reds, 96 games won). Most years 90 wins will get you in the playoffs. But I guess we are doomed to fail...

I feel pretty confident that we will do at least a few games better than .500 and make the playoffs again.

viagracat
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Sweet thread oeo.

Surprised this hasn't been used yet...

:threadrules:

greygoose
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
You guys need to put your World Series DVDs away - this team is far from great.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 11:53 AM
What people don't realize is that we are still in the lead (even though it is the Wild Card). If the season were to end today, we'd be in the playoffs.

This kind of statement bugs me. The season doesn't end to day whether we're first in the Wild Card race or 4 games behind in the Wild Card race. Where we are now is irrelevant. Where we are on October 1 is.

I prefer to simply say, "We're in a good spot."

viagracat
07-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Homefish, is that you?

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 11:56 AM

The Sun is shinning in this thread greygoose. Hmmmm, ironic your name has grey in it.

Jjav829
07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
You're posting in it...:cool:

Well, it's better than the other thread.

Still, I'm gonna go start the "This team is GOOD, but could use a little help" thread. :tongue:

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM

Go post in the other thread... Sweet merciful crap. Of course it is a great team. Will it be great enough? Time will tell...

Corlose 15
07-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, it's better than the other thread.

Still, I'm gonna go start the "This team is GOOD, but could use a little help" thread. :tongue:

I'll be right behind ya! :bandance: :gulp:

bigsqwert
07-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Coop will work is magic like he always does...Well we're finishing up the 4th month of the season. When exactly is Coop going to start working his so-called magic?

greygoose
07-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Well we're finishing up the 4th month of the season. When exactly is Coop going to start working his so-called magic?

OMG DUDE! You're a troll/dark cloud! Homefish is that you?

PKalltheway
07-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Are you kidding? This team is AWESOME! I'd say just one more reliever will do it. I don't know why so many people are freaking out after a 14-3 loss. It isn't like we're losing like that every night. Besides, every great team gets their butt kicked in at least 1 game out of 162 in a season. I don't care who you are. Just relax. The Sox will be alright.:cool:

Thome25
07-16-2006, 12:32 PM
It truly is a great time to be a SOX fan. We're the World Champions, the team is in the playoff-hunt, has a great record, and is fun to watch.

IMO,we really are watching the "Golden age of White Sox baseball" before our very eyes.

We don't have anything to complain about, and as such shouldn't be searching for things to "nit-pick" and complain about.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. It has been a great summer so far and there's more fun yet to come.

bigsqwert
07-16-2006, 12:33 PM
OMG DUDE! You're a troll/dark cloud! Homefish is that you?Well that's a value added post. Anyways, saying that Coop WILL work his magic and everything is fine is just a wild guess at best. He's had 4 months this season to do his thing and I haven't seen much to get excited about from this pitching staff (minus Thornton).

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Well that's a value added post. Anyways, saying that Coop WILL work his magic and everything is fine is just a wild guess at best. He's had 4 months this season to do his thing and I haven't seen much to get excited about from this pitching staff (minus Thornton).

Really? Contreras hasn't impressed you? Jenks? Cotts?

Heck, Garland has even had a couple of decent starts in a row.

You all need to step back and chill. If the Sox are truly falling apart, there will be plenty of time to say, I told you so a month from now.

Otherwise feel free to get the **** off MY bandwagon...:)

MrRoboto83
07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Well that's a value added post. Anyways, saying that Coop WILL work his magic and everything is fine is just a wild guess at best. He's had 4 months this season to do his thing and I haven't seen much to get excited about from this pitching staff (minus Thornton).

So I guess KW needs to fire Don Cooper then, seems like a good idea.

bigsqwert
07-16-2006, 12:39 PM

You all need to step back and chill. If the Sox are truly falling apart, there will be plenty of time to say, I told you so a month from now.

I honestly am not very impressed with the 2006 pitching staff. Conteras has been decent, Jenks is soild and I'm not overly impressed with Cotts (seems to not be able to strand inherited runners too often). Garland has been no better than mediocre this season. These are all just my opinions.

So if someone does not agree with your viewpoint you can call them a troll and swear at them? Interesting.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I honestly am not very impressed with the 2006 pitching staff. Conteras has been decent, Jenks is soild and I'm not overly impressed with Cotts (seems to not be able to strand inherited runners too often). Garland mas been no better than mediocre this season. These are all just my opinions.

So if someone does not agree with your viewpoint you can call them a troll and swear at them? Interesting.

Jenks is soiled? More negativism! :D:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

SBSoxFan
07-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I honestly am not very impressed with the 2006 pitching staff. Conteras has been decent, Jenks is soild and I'm not overly impressed with Cotts (seems to not be able to strand inherited runners too often). Garland mas been no better than mediocre this season. These are all just my opinions.

I think Contreras has been better than decent. At one time he led the league in ERA and currently stands 11th and 12th in WHIP, and first in win % for SP. Considering there's, theoretically, 70 starting pitchers in the AL, that's better than decent.

Jenks is tied for the ML lead in saves and leads MLB in save %. Jenks has been awesome, and was the only bright spot in the bullpen the first month of the season.

My biggest concern is Garcia and Vazquez. For the rest, I think we might be just a little too critical.

bigsqwert
07-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Jenks is soiled? More negativism! :D:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.Yes. He has incontinence(sp?) problems. :P

digdagdug23
07-16-2006, 12:53 PM

I really am tempted, as people stand at the great precipice, to give an ever-so-slight nudge. At least if I have to listen to the 'ba hum bug', it will be as an echo, geting smaller, and smaller, and smaller.

Now, where is the kool-aid I was promised?

soxwon
07-16-2006, 12:53 PM

agree- if we dont Make the world series
the season's a failure.

voodoochile
07-16-2006, 12:56 PM
agree- if we dont Make the world series
the season's a failure.

Okay, then by that standard, the only thing that matters now is making the playoffs, because the reasl season won't start until October. Since the Sox currently are on that pace, why all the freaking out?

spiffie
07-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Am I a dark cloud if I say this team is "very good with potential to be great?"

The hitting has been awesome, and while some players are likely to backslide a little in the second half (If AJ hits .320 all season I will be happily stunned) other players should step up (I'm looking at Anderson who has been slowly improving the last month). So I feel like the offense will be there pretty much until the end as one of the very best in the game.

The starting pitchers as I said in another thread can be reasonably expected in most cases to improve. Garcia, Garland and Buehrle are all pitching above their career ERA. Garland has been looking better, and Freddy and Mark have had stretches of good pitching, so we know they can do it. Vazquez however looks to be about what we're seeing. It's been almost 3 full seasons now since he's been anything more than a 5.00 ERA back of the rotation solidifying sort of guy. His record will likely not be as good in the second half since he'd be a lucky man to keep getting 9.5 runs per game as his run support. But all in all the rotation has room to improve, and after last year we have 4 guys who we know can come through in the biggest games of all. So right now I am optimistic but not ready to proclaim it the best in baseball at this time, though there's no reason to believe that they can't be in the second half.

The bullpen seems to be the area where there is legitimate concern. Jenks is awesome and Thornton has been another case study in the "How awesome is Don Cooper?" file. Cotts hasn't been as sharp as last year but he's done a solid job. Riske seems like he's going to be a good arm from the pen. McCarthy can be dominant or he can be scary for our team depending on the day, hopefully more pen experience will make him the former, not the latter. The last spot is crucial however since our pen probably gets the most evenly distributed workload of any contending team due to Ozzie's LaRussa-like compulsion to use lots of one-batter guys out of the pen. We can't just stick some guy in the back of the pen and say "he'll only play in mop-ups" since there's a lot of games where Ozzie will burn through 4 or 5 guys in a 2 inning span to keep playing the L/R matchups. So if we can get a solid arm in that spot I don't see our pen being any worse than any of the contending teams unless Detroit makes a trade to replace Jones with a top-flight closer or setup man.

So yeah, this team is very good. I see no reason to believe we will not be in the playoff hunt and probably making it barring injuries or something horrible unforeseen. But there are issues of concern, and we will have a much clearer picture of just how good this team both is and can be on August 1st. By that point we may have traded for one more solid pen arm, have swept Detroit, and seen our pitchers get back on the horse and pitch like they did last year. But right now the sky is blue, and while there's a 10% chance of rain, it doesn't seem very likely.

digdagdug23
07-16-2006, 01:01 PM
So yeah, this team is very good. I see no reason to believe we will not be in the playoff hunt and probably making it barring injuries or something horrible unforeseen. But there are issues of concern, and we will have a much clearer picture of just how good this team both is and can be on August 1st. By that point we may have traded for one more solid pen arm, have swept Detroit, and seen our pitchers get back on the horse and pitch like they did last year. But right now the sky is blue, and while there's a 10% chance of rain, it doesn't seem very likely.

Yeah, but it is hot, humid, and oppressive right now, and therefore, a thunderstorm has got to be coming in from the west. So how can you say 10% chance? The dark clouds are coming, I tell ya, they're almost here! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

SBSoxFan
07-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Am I a dark cloud if I say this team is "very good with potential to be great?"

The hitting has been awesome, and while some players are likely to backslide a little in the second half (If AJ hits .320 all season I will be happily stunned) other players should step up (I'm looking at Anderson who has been slowly improving the last month). So I feel like the offense will be there pretty much until the end as one of the very best in the game.

The starting pitchers as I said in another thread can be reasonably expected in most cases to improve. Garcia, Garland and Buehrle are all pitching above their career ERA. Garland has been looking better, and Freddy and Mark have had stretches of good pitching, so we know they can do it. Vazquez however looks to be about what we're seeing. It's been almost 3 full seasons now since he's been anything more than a 5.00 ERA back of the rotation solidifying sort of guy. His record will likely not be as good in the second half since he'd be a lucky man to keep getting 9.5 runs per game as his run support. But all in all the rotation has room to improve, and after last year we have 4 guys who we know can come through in the biggest games of all. So right now I am optimistic but not ready to proclaim it the best in baseball at this time, though there's no reason to believe that they can't be in the second half.

The bullpen seems to be the area where there is legitimate concern. Jenks is awesome and Thornton has been another case study in the "How awesome is Don Cooper?" file. Cotts hasn't been as sharp as last year but he's done a solid job. Riske seems like he's going to be a good arm from the pen. McCarthy can be dominant or he can be scary for our team depending on the day, hopefully more pen experience will make him the former, not the latter. The last spot is crucial however since our pen probably gets the most evenly distributed workload of any contending team due to Ozzie's LaRussa-like compulsion to use lots of one-batter guys out of the pen. We can't just stick some guy in the back of the pen and say "he'll only play in mop-ups" since there's a lot of games where Ozzie will burn through 4 or 5 guys in a 2 inning span to keep playing the L/R matchups. So if we can get a solid arm in that spot I don't see our pen being any worse than any of the contending teams unless Detroit makes a trade to replace Jones with a top-flight closer or setup man.

:cheers:

cbotnyse
07-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Otherwise feel free to get the **** off MY bandwagon...:)This part of your post made me smile! :)

SoxFanPrope
07-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Okay, then by that standard, the only thing that matters now is making the playoffs, because the reasl season won't start until October. Since the Sox currently are on that pace, why all the freaking out?
Only people who support crappy baseball teams use logic.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Soxwon:

Realistically I can't agree with you that it's the 'World Series' or nothing. If I could have a team and be told 'we'll let you win 94 games a year for the next five years but you may not even make the post-season,' I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Do you know how hard it is to win 94 games? Let alone 96 or 99?

Do I think it's crucial for the organization to make the postseason again? Absolutely...for two reasons.

1. Because in order to keep the 'bandwagon' fans on board they have to. Why are bandwagon fans improtant? Simple...because they inflate attendance. When you draw almost 3 million a year you can have a 100 million dollar payroll. It's a hell of a lot easier to win with talent then without, and talent costs money.

2. Because the Sox are the last of the original 16 franchises to have never done it. Today with three divisions and a wild card, that's amazing.

But if the Sox don't make it, yet still win 94 games, how can anyone say the season was a disappointment?

What I'm angry about right now is the fact that the team doesn't seem to be playing with the same heart. And they have positively sucked this year at fundamentals which is their bread and butter. That's how they won all those close games last year.

Lip

sox1970
07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, this team is great:

In the last 41 games, only 15 quality starts with a 5.92 ERA by the starting pitchers.

Garland has been the best with a 3.97 ERA since May 30

The rest:
Buehrle 6.59 ERA
Garcia 6.71 ERA
Contreras 5.18 ERA
Vazquez 7.19 ERA

The Sox are going to face tougher pitching in the second half. If they keep pitching like this, we'll be watching our 2005 DVDs the first week of October. I know the truth hurts, but the starters need to turn it around NOW.

StatHead21
07-16-2006, 09:59 PM

In the last 41 games, only 15 quality starts with a 5.92 ERA by the starting pitchers.

The rest:
Buehrle 6.59 ERA
Garcia 6.71 ERA
Contreras 5.18 ERA
Vazquez 7.19 ERA

The Sox are going to face tougher pitching in the second half. If they keep pitching like this, we'll be watching our 2005 DVDs the first week of October. I know the truth hurts, but the starters need to turn it around NOW.

VERY true.

oeo
07-16-2006, 10:00 PM

The rest:
Buehrle 6.59 ERA
Garcia 6.71 ERA
Contreras 5.18 ERA
Vazquez 7.19 ERA

There's about 20 other threads that you can post this crap in. Read my post, I said I don't really care about past stats, this is now. I don't care what any of the starter's ERA's are right now, or how bad they are since such and such date. All it takes is one start to turn themselves around.

rowand33
07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
What I'm angry about right now is the fact that the team doesn't seem to be playing with the same heart. And they have positively sucked this year at fundamentals which is their bread and butter. That's how they won all those close games last year.

This is exactly how I feel about the team.

I like the team as is (I'd just like another righty in the pen). I just wish they'd play better. And I don't really feel that they have yet, considering how extremely talented the roster is.

For the longest time I just kept being like "we'll get there. imagine how great we'll be when we are there." But after half a season of poor play by some people, I'm starting to worry that we won't completely get there. Half a season of suck from Vazquez, Garcia, and Buehrle don't inspire confidence.

oeo
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
This is exactly how I feel about the team.

I like the team as is (I'd just like another righty in the pen). I just wish they'd play better. And I don't really feel that they have yet, considering how extremely talented the roster is.

For the longest time I just kept being like "we'll get there. imagine how great we'll be when we are there." But after half a season of poor play by some people, I'm starting to worry that we won't completely get there. Half a season of suck from Vazquez, Garcia, and Buehrle don't inspire confidence.

None of those pitchers have sucked all year. Buehrle has been bad in his last three starts, which have inflated his numbers immensely. Freddy was very solid at the beginning of the year, as was Vazquez. I know this isn't Buehrle, he will bounce back. Freddy worries me a little bit because of that loss of velocity, and I still think people are a little harsh on wanting Vazquez out of here right now. I'm just hoping he can get us a good start on Wednesday and carry that on through the rest of the year.

rowand33
07-16-2006, 10:20 PM
None of those pitchers have sucked all year. Buehrle has been bad in his last three starts, which have inflated his numbers immensely. Freddy was very solid at the beginning of the year, as was Vazquez. I know this isn't Buehrle, he will bounce back. Freddy worries me a little bit because of that loss of velocity, and I still think people are a little harsh on wanting Vazquez out of here right now. I'm just hoping he can get us a good start on Wednesday and carry that on through the rest of the year.

Vazquez has been terrible all year long.

he's 8/18 for quality starts.

These are his quality starts:
4/8 @KC: 2 ER 7 IP 7 K
4/19 KC: 0 ER 8 IP 7 K
4/25 @Sea: 2 ER 6 IP 2 K
5/1 @CLE: 0 ER 6 IP 7 K
5/6 KC: 2 ER 7.2 IP 6 K
5/23 OAK: 3 ER 6 IP 3 K
5/29 @CLE: 0 ER 6 IP 4 K
6/20 STL: 2 ER 6 IP 3 K

What's the common trend there?
Those are all **** teams. Oakland is in first now, but they were bad in May. When he beat the Cards, we put up 20 runs. not a pressure situation. And they were on a real real rought streak.

against teams with a winning record, he's 3-3 with a 7.50 ERA in 30 IP.

That's terrible.

Buehrle has been just getting roughed up lately. I was incorrect to add him. And I have faith in Mark rebounding.

I'm not so sure about Javy...

markopat
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Lip

I have to agree Lip...I think it is about heart and intensity from the start of the game. Seems to me as though we are perpetually coming from behind. Down 3 runs in the first 2 innings...

I love this team and believe...we need more intensity!

rick smeitz
07-16-2006, 11:26 PM
yup

SpartanSoxFan
07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I have the faith that the pitching staff can turn it around. Why? Because they have shown before that they are good.

Unless these guys are all injured (I doubt that is the case), there should be a few tweaks here and there that they can use to figure out how to get back to kicking ass.

buehrle4cy05
07-17-2006, 12:03 AM
With all this negativity, did I suddenly go through a time warp and end up in August of 2005? Better check that post date...:rolleyes:

Look at those threads and now look at these. Then look at the one stuck at the top of the PTC board.