PDA

View Full Version : Furcal now 23?

MattSharp
02-15-2002, 12:43 PM
It appears Rafael Furcal is actually 23, not 21? Originally didnt he say he was 19 when he won the ROTY? What a moron.....

Spiff
02-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
It appears Rafael Furcal is actually 23, not 21? Originally didnt he say he was 19 when he won the ROTY? What a moron.....

Funny quote in SI this week about Ramon Ortiz being 28, not 25. Angels spokesman Tim Mead said, "We're excited he's gained three years of knowledge."

Which, I guess, is about all you can say about these things. Just ridiculous.

RichH55
02-17-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Funny quote in SI this week about Ramon Ortiz being 28, not 25. Angels spokesman Tim Mead said, "We're excited he's gained three years of knowledge."

Which, I guess, is about all you can say about these things. Just ridiculous.

And this things goes both ways...wasnt Beltre(IIRC on LA) too young? Is it seriously that hard to keep real records on guys?

Dadawg_77
02-17-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

And this things goes both ways...wasnt Beltre(IIRC on LA) too young? Is it seriously that hard to keep real records on guys?

What is happening is MBL teams will only look at players 16, 17 or younger to sign. Most of these kids come poverty and they see their only hope to leave poverty is to become a major league baseball player. Thus you have 18,19, 20 year olds forging or assuming dead relative identities in order to become younger. "Real Sports" did a pretty good story on this a two year ago.

I don't know if I can really blame them for it, tell a little lie in order to have a chance to better their life. This maybe one of the few times every benefits from someone telling a lie.