PDA

View Full Version : Pawtucket 7, Charlotte 4 - game report

A. Cavatica
07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
This one was a disappointment. Sean Tracey was the scheduled starter, but he was replaced by Valerio de los Santos due to being called up; I probably would've gone to tomorrow's game if I'd known. But de los Santos actually pitched pretty well, locating his 91-mph fastball consistently during his five-inning stint. (What's his pedigree, anyway? I know nothing about him.)

With the Knights up 4-1 in the seventh I thought this one was in the bag and went out to right field, where you can stand practically in the visiting bullpen and talk to the pitchers. Hermy was warming up, looking a little bit dissatisfied with his stuff (though for all I know he always looks this way when preparing to come into a game). When he stopped throwing I thanked him for last year -- pointing out that if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be wearing the Sox WS Champions cap I had on -- and wished him luck on his rehab. He gave me a nod and a half-smile but clearly had his mind on business. Then he came into the game and got hit around a bit, getting two outs but loading the bases. Jeff Farnsworth relieved and let two (three?) of Hermy's runners score, and then gave up the lead for good.

Meanwhile I asked Agustin Montero and Boone Logan why Tracey was scratched. They knew he'd been called up but didn't know what roster move the Sox had made. I think Montero was surprised I knew who he was (and that he'd been called up twice this year). I wished both of them luck and told them I hoped to see them back on the Sox in September (if not before). Logan was really nice and gave my son a baseball!

The Knights' hitters put on a show in BP (especially Fields) but didn't do much during the game. Sweeney hit a couple of singles and looked good in CF, with one laser throw to the plate that nearly got a runner.

whitesoxfan
07-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the report...bummer on not being able to see Tracey. Sounds like you had a good time with Logan giving your kid a ball :smile:

maurice
07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Montero is a real nice guy. When he's done warming up, he makes a point to give the ball to a kid near the bullpen . . . even on the road . . . even when he's being heckled (or what passes for "heckling" in an I.L town).