PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Chicago White Sox: Virtual Edition

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
2010 Chicago White Sox- Between the Lines

April 5: Opening Day: Fresh off a disappointing 82-80 finish in 2009, the revamped Chicago White Sox begin the ’10 season at Fenway Park, in a showdown with the Boston Red Sox. Behind a strong outing by Brandon McCarthy, the real Sox defeat the Red Sox 3-0 before a sellout Boston crowd. Brian Anderson drives in all three Sox runs with a bases-clearing triple in the fourth inning, and later helps out his pitcher by robbing David Ortiz of extra bases. Quote of the Day: Sox manager Ozzie Guillen: “I’m glad that we won, but sorry we made Chris Berman cry.”

Sox Opening Day Lineup: (vs. Josh Beckett)

2B- Brian Roberts
RF- Ryan Sweeney
DH- Paul Konerko
1B- Ryan Howard
CF- Brian Anderson
3B- Josh Fields
SS- Juan Uribe
C- Josh Bard
LF- Scott Podsednik

P- Brandon McCarthy

April 9: Sox Home Opener: Former White Sox star Frank Thomas, who retired the previous off-season, throws out the first pitch before the start of the Sox game vs. Tampa Bay. As part of the festivities, Thomas’ number is retired, and a statue is unveiled on the left field concourse featuring Thomas’ famous home run swing. The game features a celebration of its own, as the Sox pound out nine runs on fourteen hits to improve their record to 3-1 on the young season. New Sox first baseman Ryan Howard drives in four runs, three of which coming on a double that bounced off the top of the wall in center field.

April 10: In a game that saw Devil Rays’ manager Joe Madden ejected for arguing balls and strikes and shortstop Juan Uribe pulled because he was staring at five women seated near the Sox dugout, the Sox defeated the D-Rays 5-2 in the Pale Hose’s first night game of the season. Ryan Howard connected for his first Chicago home run, crushing a 3-2 fastball onto the fan deck in center field. The blast, which was estimated at 492 feet, left Sox announcer Ken “Hawk” Harrelson speechless. Harrelson’s call of the home run: “Way back! They look… (several seconds of silence)… that ball… (more silence)… and the Sox lead it, 4-2!”

April 22: Following 6-5 loss to the Cleveland Indians at Jacobs Field, Ozzie Guillen rips into his team. The primary target of his ire: Sox right fielder Ryan Sweeney, who finished the game 0-5 with three strikeouts and a crucial throwing error that allowed the Indians to score two in the ninth inning against Sox closer Bobby Jenks. “It pisses me off,” Guillen said. “This team is not as good as the two that won the World Series (in 2005 and ’06), yet there are guys on this team who think they can get away with not giving their best effort. I guess that’s my fault for not making that clear, but just so everyone knows, that’s how it’s going to be from now on.”

May 1: Following a sub-par April that saw the Sox finish 11-9, Ozzie Guillen tries to re-ignite his struggling offense by flip-flopping Ryan Howard and DH Paul Konerko in the lineup. The move pays off immediately, as Howard and Konerko slug back-to-back homers in the first inning off former Sox starter Javier Vasquez. The Sox later add on three more runs to knock off the Minnesota Twins 6-2 at the Metrodome. Quote of the Day: Howard, on playing his first game at the Metrodome: “I didn’t have a clue where the ball was hit when it was in the air. I was just hoping I didn’t have a catch a pop-up. This place is ridiculous.”

May 6: Ryan Howard continues to feel comfortable in the number-three spot, blasting his fifth and sixth homers of the season as the Sox crush the Seattle Mariners by the score of 19-3 before a sellout crowd at US Cellular Field. The victory improves the Sox record to 16-9 (5-0 in May), leaving them just two games back of the Detroit Tigers. Asked what he thought of the Sox recent surge, Sox GM Ken Williams replied, “Frankly, I think that’s a stupid question. Of course I’m going to be happy when this team wins. Winning is why I still have a job.”

May 11: Behind eight runs batted in from Joe Crede, the Sox win again, this time pummeling the Kansas City Royals 10-4. Crede’s heroics weren’t the game’s only fireworks, however. After left fielder Josh Fields was plunked in the fifth, Brandon McCarthy retaliated by throwing behind Royals’ DH Pat Burrell. Both benches were warned, prompting an enraged Jerry Manuel to emerge from the Royals dugout. The KC manager (and former Sox skipper) was ejected moments later, but not before throwing his cap to the ground and stomping on it, prompting the US Cellular crowd to sarcastically chant, “Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!”

May 18: Bothered by recurring back problems that forced him into a three-way 3B/LF platoon with Josh Fields and Scott Podsednik, Joe Crede is placed on the 15-day disabled list. Quote of the Day: Crede, on concerns that his back might force him into retirement: “I hope not, but that’s something every player has to live with. Every guy knows the risk he takes when he puts on that uniform. Right now, I just want to get healthy enough to where I can get out of bed in the morning and not feel sore. Baseball is the furthest thing from my mind.”

May 29: The Sox lose in extra innings to the rival Cubs, the Sox only run coming on a home run by Paul Konerko, who got a rare start at first base at Wrigley Field. Quote of the Day: Guillen, on National League rules: “I wish these ****ing morons would get with the times and use the DH. Watching my pitchers go up there and piss themselves trying to get a hit isn’t baseball.” Guillen was later fined for his remarks by Bud Selig.

June 3: The Sox notch their second come-from-behind win in as many days, squeaking by the Baltimore Orioles 4-3 at Camden Yards. Josh Fields fuels the comeback with a two-run homer in the eighth off Orioles starter Eric Bedard. Through fifty games, the Sox sit at 31-19, one and a half games back of the Tigers.

June 11: Facing the Phillies for the first time, Ryan Howard greets his former teammates in style, tying a career high by driving in seven runs in the Interleague showdown at US Cellular Field. Howard starts the game’s scoring with a three-run home run to left-center in the first, followed by a two-run shot in the third, which landed atop the concourse in right. Howard later added two more RBI with a seventh-inning single. Quote of the Day: Ken “Hawk” Harrelson calling Howard’s second home run: “And the 2-2 pitch from Madson… You can put it on the board, yes! A no-doubter, and it is 5-0! Mercy!”

June 15: The Sox see their contest against the Atlanta Braves delayed three-times by rain. The weather, a product of a nearby tropical storm, has the Sox slipping and sliding all over the field, as the Braves win easily 8-1. The lone Sox highlight: an inside-the-park home run by Brian Roberts.

June 30: Brian Anderson homers for the third straight game, as he continues his late push towards his first All Star Game appearance. After a slow start, Anderson has come on to hit .315 in May and .323 in June, raising his season’s average to .302.

July 4: As part of their first appearance on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, the Sox agree to wear their throwback uniforms from the Dick Allen era, taking the field dressed in red, which seems to ignite the Sox bats. Anderson homers again, and is later joined by Sweeney, Howard, Konerko, and Uribe. The Sox pound Oakland 14-5, but still find themselves two games behind Detroit, who can’t seem to lose.

July 13: Ryan Howard, Brian Anderson, and Brandon McCarthy represent the Sox at the 2010 All Star Game, held in Kansas City. Sadly, the National League wins 5-3, aided by an Albert Pujols grand slam.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 06:46 PM
July 16: No sooner do the Sox return to action following the All Star Break than they find themselves in the middle of yet another controversy. Following a home run by Paul Konerko, Brian Anderson is drilled by A’s starter Rich Harden, igniting a huge melee that delayed the game for more than twenty minutes after A’s fans littered the field with garbage. Once the slugfest ended, the Sox went work with their bats, pounding the ageless Paul Byrd for seven runs, three of which coming on a Howard home run that reached the upper deck in right field.

July 21: Ryan Sweeney ended an 1-22 slump in a big way, blasting a three-run homer off Angels starter Jared Weaver, only the fourth home run the Los Angeles staff ace has allowed all season. Brandon McCarthy worked more than six innings to win his twelfth game of the season.

July 29: Josh Fields, back in LF after the long-awaited return of Joe Crede, settled into his surroundings by going 3-4 with a homer and two RBI against the Tigers, though it wouldn’t be enough to overcome a six-run Detroit fifth as the Tigers won 8-4.

July 30: On the eve of the trade deadline, the Sox once again fall victim to the Tigers, this time 7-2. The Sox are now four games back of their rivals.

July 31: Another ugly Detroit loss, this one by the score of 4-0. Five games back. Things were so bad that the clubhouse was shut down after the game, as team captain Paul Konerko addressed his teammates. Konerko was unwilling to provide details, but hinted that what he said wasn’t nice. “It wasn’t a pretty picture in there,” he said. “I won’t elaborate, but there’s some definite frustration on this team right now.”

August 1: Prior to the Sox-Tigers finale, it is announced that the Sox have claimed outfielder Mark Kotsay off waivers from Oakland. Kotsay is expected to join the club when it returns home to face the Texas Rangers on Monday evening. The move comes not a moment too soon, as a recent hamstring injury to Ryan Sweeney and another DL-trip for Joe Crede had left the Sox shorthanded.

August 2-3: Kotsay is both in uniform and in the starting lineup for the Sox, playing LF. This however, is not the only adjustment manager Ozzie Guillen makes to his lineup:

2B- Brian Roberts
SS- Juan Uribe
RF- Ryan Howard
1B- Paul Konerko
CF- Brian Anderson
DH- Josh Fields
LF- Mark Kotsay
C- Josh Bard
3B- Pablo Ozuna

The decision to start Howard in RF was the result of a nagging ankle problem bothering Shields, who was relegated to DH-duty for the time being. Howard promptly commits two errors as the Sox lose a heartbreaker 5-2 to the Rangers. Guillen starts Ozuna in LF and Fields at 3B the following evening, allowing Kotsay to move to RF and Howard back to 1B. Still bothered by the ankle, Shields commits two additional errors, leading to another Sox loss.

August 11: With his team sitting three games back of the Tigers, Sox GM Kenny Williams lashes out at Chicago media members who believe that his team is “too left-handed.” “You guys get worse every year,” Williams said. “Next year, you’ll probably whine about us having too many former National League players on our roster.”

August 21: With his team trailing the Toronto Blue Jays 6-2 in the ninth inning, newly-activated Joe Crede delivers a dramatic pinch-hit grand slam off closer BJ Ryan to tie the game, sending Hawk Harrelson into a fit of uncontrollable sobbing on the air as he gives his home run call, “And Joe Crede… has tied this game… at six!” Moments later, Juan Uribe wins the game with a walk-off homer, with Darrin Jackson offering his own home run call: “Uh, oh… uh, oh… uh, oh! Sox win!”

September 4: With the Sox still three games behind the Tigers, their focus shifts to the AL Wildcard, as the Blue Jays are only a half game ahead of them. The Sox temporarily move into a tie with Toronto after beating Cleveland 5-1, but find themselves a half game back after the Blue Jays outlast the Orioles in an eleven-inning win.

September 7: Responding to criticism that he doesn’t pull the ball enough, Ryan Howard smashes his team-leading thirty seventh home run off the right field foul pole to give the Sox their only runs in a 3-2 loss to the Royals. The ball is hit so hard that it caroms off the pole and bounces back to first base where it is retrieved by Harold Baines, the Sox first base coach.

September 18: The Sox respond to owner Jerry Reinsdorf’s message that they be more aggressive at the plate, pounding out twelve runs on nineteen hits. The Pale Hose’s attack is led by Paul Konerko, who homers twice and drives in five runs. The victory leaves the Sox two games behind the Tigers, and tied with Toronto for the Wild Card.

September 19: Konerko continues pounding the ball, adding another homer and three RBI in a 4-3 Sox win over the Yankees. Toronto and Detroit win, as well, and nothing changes in the standings.

September 24: The Sox make their final trip to Minnesota amidst speculation that Ryan Howard will opt out of his contract at the conclusion of the season. Howard calls the rumors ridiculous, and then proceeds to make Twins pitching look ridiculous by collecting three hits and two RBI against Twins starter Boof Bonzer. The Sox win 5-1, keeping pace with Detroit and Toronto, who also win.

September 29: Two Sox wins and two Toronto losses place the Sox one game ahead in the WC standings with four games left for each team. The Sox face Minnesota at home, and the Blue Jays travel to Tampa Bay.

September 30: Both teams win.

October 1: Both teams lose.

October 2: Both teams win, and Detroit clinches the AL Central, leaving it up to the Sox to win in their final game to clinch, or face the possibility of a one-game playoff, which would take place at Rogers Centre in Toronto as decided by an earlier coin-flip.

October 3: Clinch! The Sox clinch the Wild Card by defeating the Twins 6-3, thanks to a walk-off home run by Ryan Sweeney off Twins closer Joe Nathan. Sweeney is mobbed by his teammates and by fans, who storm the field in their excitement over the outcome. More than fifty people are arrested following the game’s conclusion, and the Sox are fined by Major League Baseball for an inability to maintain crowd control. Final playoff seeds are determined, and the Sox travel to Boston to begin a five-game series with the Red Sox. The Tigers travel to Los Angeles to battle the Angels.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 06:47 PM
October 5: ALDS Game 1: The Sox postseason begins on the wrong foot, literally, as the Red Sox win convincingly 7-1 before a sellout crowd at Fenway Park. Ryan Sweeney is lost for the season after breaking his foot attempting to steal second base in the game’s second inning. The lone Sox run comes courtesy of Josh Fields, who homers in the eighth off Josh Beckett.

October 6: ALDS Game 2: The Pale Hose find themselves on the verge of elimination following another loss to Boston, this one a 4-0 shutout. The Sox manage just three hits, two of which coming off the bat of Paul Konerko. Afterwards, Ozzie Guillen has this to say to reporters: “We’re a terrible baseball team right now. I don’t know what these guys are thinking about, but it isn’t baseball. I think I’m going to have to keep them from sleeping with their wives. Maybe that will get things going again.” Guillen is later fined for his remarks.

October 8: ALDS Game 3: The Sox rebound before their home fans, winning 9-2 over the Carmines. Ryan Howard’s third inning grand slam proves to be the winning blow, as Neal Cotts, normally the Sox fifth starter, works eight innings to get the win.

October 9: ALDS Game 4: Brian Anderson rebounds from a poor showing the series’ first three games to go 2-4 with a home run, double, and three RBI in a 6-3 White Sox victory. Brandon McCarthy works seven and two thirds innings for the “W,” as the series shifts back to Boston for a decisive Game 5.

October 11: ALDS Game 5: Season Over! The White Sox 2010 season ends in disappointment, as the Red Sox win 7-5, thanks in large part to a walk-off home run from aging slugger David Ortiz. With the game tied at five entering the bottom of the tenth inning, Ortiz smashed a 2-1 Bobby Jenks offering into the center field bleachers to give the Red Sox the victory, and the chance to face Detroit, who swept the Angels in their playoff series.

lumpyspun
07-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm a little confused. What happened to the virtual 07,08, and 09 seasons? Did I miss those somewhere on this site?

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm a little confused. What happened to the virtual 07,08, and 09 seasons? Did I miss those somewhere on this site?

No, you didn't. I just arbitrarilly chose 2010 and wrote about it.

MrRoboto83
07-15-2006, 06:56 PM
No, you didn't. I just arbitrarilly chose 2010 and wrote about it.

It looks like a lot of work went into this production, I better read it.:D:

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Where the hell did Crede go???

MrRoboto83
07-15-2006, 06:59 PM

Seems like Pablo is the Sox 3rd baseman, he would be like 37 or 38 years young in 2010? Or i guess I see a split between Josh Fields and Pablo.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 07:00 PM

He's still around, but back problems have forced him into a platoon role with Fields and Podsednik occupying 3B/LF depending on pitching matchups.

lumpyspun
07-15-2006, 07:03 PM
He's still around, but back problems have forced him into a platoon role with Fields and Podsednik occupying 3B/LF depending on pitching matchups.

Crede would be better off as the sideline reporter on the radio crew with Farmer and Carl Everett...

TheDarkGundam
07-15-2006, 07:06 PM
April 9: Sox Home Opener: Former White Sox star Frank Thomas, who retired the previous off-season, throws out the first pitch before the start of the Sox game vs. Tampa Bay. As part of the festivities, Thomas’ number is retired, and a statue is unveiled on the left field concourse featuring Thomas’ famous home run swing. The game features a celebration of its own, as the Sox pound out nine runs on fourteen hits to improve their record to 3-1 on the young season. New Sox first baseman Ryan Howard drives in four runs, three of which coming on a double that bounced off the top of the wall in center field.
RKM, remind me to get tickets to this one. :cool:

DoItForDanPasqua
07-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I was hoping there would be robots or at least extraterrestrials playing.

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 07:13 PM
He's still around, but back problems have forced him into a platoon role with Fields and Podsednik occupying 3B/LF depending on pitching matchups.:(: I don't like the sounds of that.

SOXintheBURGH
07-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Have they implemented psych outs yet?

"Hey Sizemore, I hear your sister's going out with Squeak!"

DSpivack
07-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Brian Roberts? Ryan Howard? Me likey. :cool:

gbergman
07-15-2006, 07:47 PM
nice, but why couldnt you make it so we win the world series, now i will be depressed in 2010

schmitty9800
07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
That Crede stuff is chilling. However, I trust that Ozzie will keep him playing as much as he's comfortable so he doesn't have long term health problems to worry about.

Only problem was that your only pitcher mentioned was McCarthy...who else has potential to be around? I always have hope that Burhele will be a Sox lifer.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 07:50 PM
That Crede stuff is chilling. However, I trust that Ozzie will keep him playing as much as he's comfortable so he doesn't have long term health problems to worry about.

Only problem was that your only pitcher mentioned was McCarthy...who else has potential to be around? I always have hope that Burhele will be a Sox lifer.

I meant to include Mark. I may go back and edit a few of the dates to include something he did. I also invisioned Garland being around, and may add him as well.

WSox597
07-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Oh, boy, a time machine!! I want one! Where do I sign up?

:redneck

batmanZoSo
07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm writing a screenplay about RKMeibalane who travels through time for some reason. His best friend is a talking pie. Ron Howard is attached to direct.

RKMeibalane
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm writing a screenplay about RKMeibalane who travels through time for some reason. His best friend is a talking pie. Ron Howard is attached to direct.

Why is my friend a talking pie, instead of a talking pixi stick? :cool:

Edit: I can see it now...

A BatmanZoSo Production...

TimeSox

Starring Ravi Meibalane

Co-starring The Talking Pie, The Windock, and The Choice.

MrRoboto83
07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I was expecting Paul Konerko to hit his 400 career Home Run during your 2010 season.:cool:

Soxworldchamps
07-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Haha great job, way to go BA!

thomas35forever
07-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Nice job. Can you do a virtual edition of the rest of the '06 season?

BadBobbyJenks
07-16-2006, 05:54 AM
brian roberts........................................... .booooooooooooo