PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Padres player(s) killed in car wreck

cheeses_h_rice
02-15-2002, 10:34 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/02/15/padre_accident_ap/

Wonder who it is?

Meatpants
02-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Valenzuela said the driver and front-seat passenger were not wearing seatbelts and were ejected and killed.

The injured man was in the back seat and was wearing a seat belt and was treated and released at the scene, Valenzuela said.

Can someone explain what is so hard about wearing a seat belt??????

cheeses_h_rice
02-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Padres MB on ESPN sez it's Mike Darr:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6231

CerberusWG
02-15-2002, 11:02 AM
Very sorry to hear that, but if you are stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt then bad things WILL happen to you eventually.

CerberusWG
02-15-2002, 12:36 PM
More info:

Valenzuela said Darr was the driver of the vehicle and it appeared the accident was alcohol-related.

The vehicle apparently drifted into the dirt center median, then the driver over-corrected, Valenzuela said.

It rolled across all three westbound lanes of the freeway and crashed through a fence, coming to rest on a frontage road.

Valenzuela said Darr and Johnson were not wearing seatbelts and were ejected and killed.

Howard was in the back seat and was wearing a seatbelt, Valenzuela said.

Darr, 25, was San Diego's opening day center fielder in 2001, his first full big league season.

He was moved into the starting lineup after Ruben Rivera was released in spring training, but eventually made way for Mark Kotsay, who was obtained from Florida just before opening day.

Darr made 24 starts in center and 45 in right, where Tony Gwynn hardly played because of leg injuries.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Darr was good defensively but didn't have much power, hitting just two homers last year. However, both were game-winners in the Padres' last at-bat. He batted .277 with 34 RBI.

Darr was the Padres' minor league player of the year in 1997 after being obtained from Detroit with another player for second baseman Jody Reed late in spring training that year.

Howard played last season for the Padres' affiliates in Mobile and Lake Elsinore.

Drunk-Driving, shame.

WinningUgly!
02-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Very sorry to hear that, but if you are stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt then bad things WILL happen to you eventually. That's a bit harsh.

Spiff
02-15-2002, 02:18 PM
"Valenzuela said Darr was the driver of the vehicle and it appeared the accident was alcohol-related."

Will this world ever find a way to change...

CerberusWG
02-15-2002, 02:39 PM
That's a bit harsh.

So, I rarely have sypmathy for idiots who can't take simple precautions for themselves.

czalgosz
02-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG

So, I rarely have sypmathy for idiots who can't take simple precautions for themselves.

Well, rumor has it that he was drunk driving, so that's really more the issue, IMO.

pearso66
02-15-2002, 03:15 PM
so he was driving drunk, and no seat belt???

i have no sympathy for people who do that, they put other people's life in danger. we are all lucky he didnt kill any pedestrians

Huisj
02-15-2002, 03:49 PM
or other people in other cars that he could have hit.

driving drunk is a very dangerous thing and a very selfish thing. You put everyone near you at danger, but you don't care and can't do much about it because you're drunk. It's terrible. And yes, it's terribly sad that he died, but many drunk driving accidents can turn out much more tragic than that, especailly when totally innocent people are killed in them because of the selfishness of the drunk driver.

longshot7
02-15-2002, 04:19 PM
Take a moment from your self-righteousness to realize that regardless of how it happened, a man is dead. Two, actually. And that is a sad thing.

And a good guy too, by all accounts.

Soxheads
02-15-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
so he was driving drunk, and no seat belt???

i have no sympathy for people who do that, they put other people's life in danger. we are all lucky he didnt kill any pedestrians

I don't have much sympathy for people that drink and drive either.

Huisj
02-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Take a moment from your self-righteousness to realize that regardless of how it happened, a man is dead. Two, actually. And that is a sad thing.

And a good guy too, by all accounts.

I'm not trying to be self righteous--I agree that it's terrible that these people died in this accident. Death is very serious and sad.

The extremely sad thing about these kinds of deaths is that they are totally avoidable if people wouldn't have such poor judgement in their actions. Drunk driving is illegal for a reason, that being that it is extremely dangerous to operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. These peoplr broke a law that is in place totally for the safety of themselves and others, and unfortunately, the consequences in this case were fatal. I want to feel sympathetic, but at the same time I keep struggling with the idea that they were asking for trouble by doing what they were doing. It's a very difficult situation to deal with. And if it's hard for people like us, who had no connection to these players at all, think about how difficult it must be for those people's family's?

SOXSINCE'70
02-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/02/15/padre_accident_ap/

Wonder who it is?

Outfielder Mike Darr.Could be a case of Drinking and driving.