PDA

View Full Version : time to make some serious decisions

BainesHOF
07-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Saturday's loss drops us four games behind Detroit and now New York is closing in on our wild-card position. We have 72 games remaining. It's no longer early, folks. It's time to shore up our problems and make a strong stretch run.

With that in mind, what would you do? Here's what I would do:

- Politte needs to go immediately. He's a beaten man at this point and we don't have the luxury to give him any more time.

- Find a major-league center fielder as soon as possible. After failing to back up our left fielder Friday (a strangely re-occuring problem with this rookie), Anderson misplayed a ball and then failed miserably to advance a runner on Saturday. It's time to cut our losses with him this season. We're two weeks into July and he's still hitting in the .100s and he's making mental mistakes in the field. Enough is enough. Allowing our offense to carry his weak bat isn't good enough when we're four games out of first place. We don't need someone to be carried. We need someone to help us win. It looks like a game or two over the next couple months could make a big difference. Find a competent center fielder with the bat and glove. Anderson can try to win the job in 2007.

- Our regulars need to play more. Of course they still need to be wisely rested, but Podsednik, Pierzysnki, Iguchi, Crede and Uribe have to play more and guys like Ozuna, Widger and Cintron need to play less. Not only are our subs weaker offensively, but more importantly they're not nearly as good defensively. With our starting pitching struggling, we need to field our best defensive team.

- Monitor our starting pitchers closely for the next two, three weeks. If someone is consistently failing to do the job, move McCarthy into the rotation.

chisoxmike
07-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Don't be shy...the Royals will lose tonight...it will be 4.5 out.:D:

MrRoboto83
07-15-2006, 04:59 PM
BA in center suits me fine, there are no other options that wouldn't break the bank(farm system and Sox roster)

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Saturday's loss drops us four games behind Detroit and now New York is closing in on our wild-card position. We have 72 games remaining. It's no longer early, folks. It's time to shore up our problems and make a strong stretch run.

With that in mind, what would you do? Here's what I would do:

- Politte needs to go immediately. He's a beaten man at this point and we don't have the luxury to give him any more time.

- Find a major-league center fielder as soon as possible. After failing to back up our left fielder Friday (a strangely re-occuring problem with this rookie), Anderson misplayed a ball and then failed miserably to advance a runner on Saturday. It's time to cut our losses with him this season. We're two weeks into July and he's still hitting in the .100s and he's making mental mistakes in the field. Enough is enough. Allowing our offense to carry his weak bat isn't good enough when we're four games out of first place. We don't need someone to be carried. We need someone to help us win. It looks like a game or two over the next couple months could make a big difference. Find a competent center fielder with the bat and glove. Anderson can try to win the job in 2007.

- Our regulars need to play more. Of course they still need to be wisely rested, but Podsednik, Pierzysnki, Iguchi, Crede and Uribe have to play more and guys like Ozuna, Widger and Cintron need to play less. Not only are our subs weaker offensively, but more importantly they're not nearly as good defensively. With our starting pitching struggling, we need to field our best defensive team.

- Monitor our starting pitchers closely for the next two, three weeks. If someone is consistently failing to do the job, move McCarthy into the rotation.

I agree with everything EXCEPT getting a CF. Anderson has a great glove and just because he makes a few mishaps (just as every fielder does) doesn't mean we should trade for or spend a few million to get a CF for the remander of the season. That money should go into pitching help, which seems to be the biggest problem this season.

MarySwiss
07-15-2006, 05:00 PM
No, but...

...oh, what the hell is the use? :rolleyes:

Domeshot17
07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
I think Brian has earned his job IMHO. Batting Average is up a good 20-30 points over the last month. Hes playing great D, the real Brian Anderson has stood up.

But I agree with some of the others. I think its time to sell high on freddy. His fastball is 86, his curve has no bite, I think its time to dump him for a ton of talent before we end up dumping him for nothing later.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Brian Anderson in the month of July: .333/.360/.458

Find a different dead horse to bash.

This team needs some minor tweaking.
Dump Politte and get Hawkins, or Gordon if the braindead Phils GM is willing to eat some more money. I love Flash, but he isn't worth the extra 2 years $15 million committment at this point.

Cut Widger and get Henry Blanco. I can stress this enough. Widger is an automatic loss as he sucks behind the plate and blows at the plate. Blanco is a little pricey and the Cubs probably wouldn't ask much for him as they have a minor league catcher (Soto?) they could give some time to. Play Blanco twice a week, preferably only against LHP.

Don't trade a starting pitcher unless we are getting a major name back in the trade. If it means having to give up a guy like Fields, Haeger, and/or Rogowski along with Vazquez/Garcia/Garland to get back Abreu or Tejada fo go for it. Don't trade a starter for prospects or an "veteran" middle reliever. We've been down that road too many times before with Mike Jackson, Jeff Nelson, and Jose Paniaqua. Our "veteran" reliever is in AAA right now.

Have Ozzie kick each player except Konerko/Thome/Dye in the ass.

Jjav829
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Just find some pitching help. I wouldn't mind a centerfielder if one is available and can be had for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't waste our available resources on getting a centerfielder. Kenny's focus should be on acquiring some pitching help.

Politte does need to go. I don't understand why he is still around. I know, he's a good guy and probably a good teammate. I'm sure everyone loves him. Unfortunately, he gets paid to gets batters out, not to be a good teammate, and this entire season he has failed to get the job done. After today's outing, Politte's ERA stands at 8.70. That is beyond awful. There isn't another pitcher in Major League Baseball who has pitched as many innings as Politte and been as bad as Politte yet still has a job in the big leagues. Something has to be done now. If he's hurting, DL him for the rest of the season and Politte can stick around with the team. If he's just bad, then it's time for him to go. I honestly don't understand what is taking so long.

And he's costing us chances to win, too! I know Politte is only pitching mop-up duty at this point, but we still had a chance to come back. We were only down 5 when Politte entered the game. By the time he completed one inning we were down 8. Montero or Tracey could do better than this.

Blueprint1
07-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Just find some pitching help. I wouldn't mind a centerfielder if one is available and can be had for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't waste our available resources on getting a centerfielder. Kenny's focus should be on acquiring some pitching help.

Politte does need to go. I don't understand why he is still around. I know, he's a good guy and probably a good teammate. I'm sure everyone loves him. Unfortunately, he gets paid to gets batters out, not to be a good teammate, and this entire season he has failed to get the job done. After today's outing, Politte's ERA stands at 8.70. That is beyond awful. There isn't another pitcher in Major League Baseball who has pitched as many innings as Politte and been as bad as Politte yet still has a job in the big leagues. Something has to be done now. If he's hurting, DL him for the rest of the season and Politte can stick around with the team. If he's just bad, then it's time for him to go. I honestly don't understand what is taking so long.

And he's costing us chances to win, too! I know Politte is only pitching mop-up duty at this point, but we still had a chance to come back. We were only down 5 when Politte entered the game. By the time he completed one inning we were down 8. Montero or Tracey could do better than this.

I pretty much agree with most of this post. I actually am happy with the job that Anderson has done in center in the last few weeks. With a rookie like him you can't look at the season numbers you have to look at what he has done in the last few weeks. In the last few weeks he has done a great job. Politte is done its time to move on. Lets bring someone up or look for a trade. He has cost us a chance to come back in a few games. I think that we might have won the last series of the cubs game if they didn't put Politte in .

What is amazing to me is the the starting pitching. I know that these guys can pitch great. Its amazing to me that they have all drooped off at the same time. I just hope that we can turn it around. it seems as though there is no room to lose any games this year.

2ndCitySox
07-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Have Ozzie kick each player except Konerko/Thome/Dye in the ass.

Right on!

TheDarkGundam
07-15-2006, 05:20 PM
The only major move I think NEEDS to be done is to get rid of Politte.
As much as I want to respect the time honored White Sox tradition of having one really ****ty relief pitcher, I'm starting to get sick of this.

Oh, RE: My sig, it's called irony folks. Just clarifyin'.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
It's pitching folks...pitching, pitching, pitching.

These guys are tired and I think (and I'm not blaming them for this..it's human nature) they felt 'hey we're scoring all these runs, we can take it a little easier and not have to bear down on every pitch like last season.'

Ozzie needs to explode in the locker room immediately.

Lip

2ndCitySox
07-15-2006, 05:25 PM

These guys are tired and I think (and I'm not blaming them for this..it's human nature) they felt 'hey we're scoring all these runs, we can take it a little easier and not have to bear down on every pitch like last season.'

Ozzie needs to explode in the locker room immediately.

Lip

I disagree. They're not tired. Their pitch counts are down, while their ERA's are way up. They're not tired that's a pretty lame excuse, especially right after the break. Does anyone expect it to get easier from here on out? Although I agree, that maybe they've become complacent. I hope Ozzie is kicking their ever-loving asses right now...

Brian26
07-15-2006, 05:29 PM
This team needs some minor tweaking.
Dump Politte and get Hawkins

No no no. I don't want Hawkins anywhere near this team!!!! UGH!

CHISOXFAN13
07-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I disagree. They're not tired. Their pitch counts are down, while their ERA's are way up. They're not tired that's a pretty lame excuse, especially right after the break. Does anyone expect it to get easier from here on out? Although I agree, that maybe they've become complacent. I hope Ozzie is kicking their ever-loving asses right now...

It's not a lame excuse. Everyone in the rotation, with the exception of Vazquez, putched far above their previous career highs last seasons.

Throw in the WBC performances of Freddy and Javy, and you have a very tired staff. I'm buying what Lip is selling.

Brian26
07-15-2006, 05:30 PM

These guys are tired
Lip

The starting pitchers are definitely showing signs of being tired, especially Buehrle.

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Have Ozzie kick each player except Konerko/Thome/Dye in the ass.I think Crede is exempt from the ass kick also.

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 05:33 PM
The starting pitchers are definitely showing signs of being tired, especially Buehrle.I noticed that also recently, its like hes aged 10 years this season.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Just yesterday in the Tribune they had comments from two major leagues scouts saying the starters look tired especially Buehrle. Take it for what it's worth, those guys are paid for their judgements.

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
07-15-2006, 05:36 PM
I think Crede is exempt from the ass kick also.\

What did AJ do wrong?

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 05:40 PM
What did AJ do wrong?He didn't tie the game yesterday off that joke of a closer the Yankees have. Sorry, I forgot about him.

nug0hs
07-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Why not use a six man rotation from here on out? We have almost one off day every-other-week, so this would allow for some extra rest for our guys. Do a little experimenting!

Lip Man 1
07-15-2006, 05:57 PM
The Sox have few days off in August and September.

Lip

Sox-o-matic
07-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Why not use a six man rotation from here on out? We have almost one off day every-other-week, so this would allow for some extra rest for our guys. Do a little experimenting!

That might not be so bad of an idea if we were able to trade prospects for a couple relievers, but that IMO would be very unlikely for two reasons:

1. Ozzie would never do it
2. Acquiring a couple relievers such as Tom Gordon and Saloman Torres (why everyone is pining for Roberto Hernandez is beyond me) would cost too much in terms of prospects. I'd have no problem trading Sweeney or Fields but not in a package for a reliever.

Sox-o-matic
07-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I think we need:

1. A backup CF who can play CF, preferrably someone with a left handed bat who can hit righties.

2. A RH set up man and a veteran to anchor the last spot in the pen who can also go 2-3 innings if necessary. I know I'm probably the only one here that will say this, but I'd love to have El Duque back for that role.

3. McCarthy in the rotation if for no other reason than to shake things up a bit.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 06:38 PM
No no no. I don't want Hawkins anywhere near this team!!!! UGH!
Why? You didn't like his work as a setup man in Minny?

He flopped with the Cubs because he was thrown in the closer's role.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Don't be shy...the Royals will lose tonight...it will be 4.5 out.:D:

Which officially eliminates us with 72 games remaining.

QCIASOXFAN
07-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Why? You didn't like his work as a setup man in Minny?

He flopped with the Cubs because he was thrown in the closer's role. :rolleyes: Thats about all I want to say about getting Hawkins.

2ndCitySox
07-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Call it anything you want, again, I don't by the BS "tired" excuse. Nonsense - the Sox aren't playing to win, they're playing not to lose. Tell me, has anyone else noticed the call 1st strikes? Everyone is taking them - it's TIME TO GET ****ING AGRESSIVE!

oeo
07-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Don't we already have 10 of these threads?

I hope you don't come back after they go on a winning streak and tell us how great this team is. They've lost a couple of games, boohoo, it's not the end of the world. It's July 16, we stand 4.5 games behind a team that has played over their heads all year long, and are yet to hit a bad stretch. The Tigers are not invincible...and the Tigers are the reason the majority of you are freaking out.

getonbckthr
07-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Call it anything you want, again, I don't by the BS "tired" excuse. Nonsense - the Sox aren't playing to win, they're playing not to lose. Tell me, has anyone else noticed the call 1st strikes? Everyone is taking them - it's TIME TO GET ****ING AGRESSIVE! Isn't that avoiding censors??

RedPinStripes
07-16-2006, 01:23 AM
The Sox have few days off in August and September.

Lip

Are you going to post at all when the the pitching staff thes their **** together? Yeah, they look like ****, but I'm seeing your same shipwreck posts from last year.

FarWestChicago
07-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Isn't that avoiding censors??Yes, and you get a couple days for quoting it. You also avoided the filter.

Meninho
07-16-2006, 01:33 AM
I really think BrAndo needs to go. Anderson ranks 2nd in the AL for defensive win shares for OF with 2.7, a pretty accurate SABRmetric stat for defense. The problem is, you don't need defensive win shares from an outfielder, they just don't see the ball that often to prevent runs. Beltran leads all OF with 4.7, and I-Rod leads all players with 6.6. Compare that to 16.2 offensively for El Caballo or 20.9 for Pujols , and then I see that BrAndo is only contributing 2.3 WS overall, (seeing as how he has -.4 WS with the bat), ranking out of the top ONE HUNDRED overall among all Major League outfielders, behind such luminaries as Emil Brown and Steve Finley. His -.4 ranks 177th (***?!) in offensive WS for OF. That's just pure garbage! Mackowiak has FIVE and he's not even an everday player. This might be too stathead for some, but i think that WS are accurate and comprehenisve way of determining a player's value, and BrAndo has almost none. Send him back, give him some confidence, and pick up some shlub off the waiver wire at least. His hair is resplendent, but resplendent locks does not an AL Central win.

Mercy!
07-16-2006, 04:09 AM
You got that right, Boss, that there SABRmetric falderol is just too dang stathead for my poor little brain.:redneck

I'm content to trust KW and Ozzie, and be very happy with BA's .333 average so far in July. Anybody want to bet that he won't end the regular season at .250 or above?

VenturaIsAGod
07-16-2006, 04:39 AM
First of all, we do not need that same exact SABRmetric post on two different threads. And we don't need numbers to see that Brian doesn't win us many games. What Ozzie has been saying all year is that Brian has not been the cause of a single one of our losses, and if that's all Ozzie wants out of him, then that's enough for me. And no one can deny the fact that he's coming around offensively. It killed me to see him ground out in the 6th inning of Saturday's game because a hit would have probably put him at .200, and that's a number that will make some people ease up on him.
Secondly, I do think there's something to the idea of a new back-up catcher, because I don't see Widger as a positive piece of our team right now. It would delight me to see Kenny bring back Miguel Olivo, one of my all-time favorite Sox players, to fulfill that role. My guess is he wouldn't cost more than a couple of average prospects and at the very least he could work with Freddy to stop the ridiculous number of stolen bases he gives up.

Mercy!
07-16-2006, 05:03 AM
.... It would delight me to see Kenny bring back Miguel Olivo, one of my all-time favorite Sox players, to fulfill that role. My guess is he wouldn't cost more than a couple of average prospects and at the very least he could work with Freddy to stop the ridiculous number of stolen bases he gives up.
Funny you mention Olivo, as he was one of the youngsters I picked to root for in 2003. He did like to show off that arm of his, didn't he? Almost everytime I see Juan Uribe flail at a pitch low and away off the plate I think of dear Miguel.:(:

BainesHOF
07-16-2006, 06:10 AM
It would delight me to see Kenny bring back Miguel Olivo, one of my all-time favorite Sox players, to fulfill that role. My guess is he wouldn't cost more than a couple of average prospects and at the very least he could work with Freddy to stop the ridiculous number of stolen bases he gives up.

Olivio was awful with pitchers. I have it on good authority he was as bad as it gets. He has no chance of coming back.

The only person who can hold people on better when Freddy pitches is Freddy.

Grzegorz
07-16-2006, 06:22 AM
It would delight me to see Kenny bring back Miguel Olivo, one of my all-time favorite Sox players, to fulfill that role. My guess is he wouldn't cost more than a couple of average prospects and at the very least he could work with Freddy to stop the ridiculous number of stolen bases he gives up.

Miguel Olivo might cost a little more now because he has performed well.

Splits as of July 16th (courtesy of MLB.com):

vs. Left: .288 vs. Right: .285
Home: .273 Road: .297
Day: .317 Night: .273
Grass: .286 Turf: .286
Current Month: .263
Last 30 Days: .317

The problem with Garcia regarding base runners begins and ends with Garcia; he needs to work on his delivery. Without a pitcher doing a credible job of holding a runner on base it is very difficult for a catcher to throw a runner out.

ondafarm
07-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Olivio was awful with pitchers. I have it on good authority he was as bad as it gets. He has no chance of coming back.

The only person who can hold people on better when Freddy pitches is Freddy.

I saw Olivo when he was catching at B'ham. He won MVP of the Southern League (AA) that year. The manager was calling the pitches because Olivo was clueless.

While I don't think Widger is helping right now, I don't think Olivo is the answer.

EMachine10
07-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Brian Anderson's defense has been spectacular...as good as any other center fielder in the majors, in my opinion. every center fielder makes mistakes, and it is well known that the ball hit right at the center fielder is the hardest ball to judge. Every CF makes mistakes and brian is an easy target because he is a rookie and has been slow to get things going at the plate. He's been hitting a lot better as of late, and the bashing should stop...

remember when aaron rowand and joe crede first came up from the minors? They were terrible at the plate. Rowand struggled the first half of his first two seasons, but was hot the 2nd half...just as anderson is. Give him time to progress and you'll be happy you did in another year. Brian is not losing games for us right now. Our offense has been better than last year, it is our pitching that is the concern. Getting another center fielder will not help us win more games.

Now, maybe you trade a starter if the deal is appropriate. I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia or Garland go, if we received some nice compensation (maybe some nice stud prospects or something). Even Contreras...who knows how old he is, and maybe you can sell him really high for something extremely valuable. At the same time, the only glaring concern you have on this team is maybe another strong bullpen arm, and you don not trade a front end starter like contreras for a set up man.

So, I'd say we are just fine. We're losing a few games, but every team has their bumps and bruises.

AJTrenkle
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Most simple thing is putting McCarthy in the rotation where he belongs. I posted a longer article about this on my site, but here are the stats for this year, I think they speak for themself.

Name G IP H HR BB K WHIP ERA
Garland 18 109 130 19 25 55 1.42 5.37
Vazquez 18 108 118 10 28 86 1.35 5.07
McCarthy 30 49 45 8 15 32 1.22 4.22

BainesHOF
07-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Brian Anderson's defense has been spectacular...as good as any other center fielder in the majors, in my opinion...Getting another center fielder will not help us win more games.

Anderson's defense is definitely his strong suit. (How can it not be when you're hitting in the .100s?) He gets great jumps, but he still has A LOT to learn defensively. He's failed too often at basic things like backing up our left fielder and throwing to the right person. Spectacular? Hardly.

Offensively, Anderson has improved, but big deal. He's still bad. Even with his little "hot" streak he's still below .200. What really aggravates me about his offense is his inability to advance runners or lay down a sacrifice bunt. His low average is even weaker that it looks.

Of course getting a competent major-league center fielder who can hit would help us win more games.

I've been surprised at how many people seem to be more worried about Anderson's career than our season.

Droso5
07-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Why must you people keep hoping on the"Bash Brian" bandwagon? Every time there is a post about what to do to fix the sox etc, there is always a talking point about "We need a major league centerfielder"..blah blah blah. Its become a cliche and is just a non-starter as far as i'm concerned.The fact is that he was terrible at the beginning of the season, he was awful at the plate and inconsistent on defence. But he has improved leaps and bounds from that point. He minimized his strike outs, is hitting doubles and sac flies and at the very least making solid contact, and his defense has improved. He has displayed huge leaps and will only get better. Rowand was bad in his 1st 2 seasons and everyone was calling for Credes head last year too...and look what happened there. If he hits .250, which I would bet on, will you quit the tired cliche ridden whinning about getting a "major league" center fielder? With a rookie in his first FULL year , if he was batting .150 earlier this season and now is batting .200 and gets to .250 do you see a full point as improvment? I sure do. Because he could have packed it in and imploded and totally played himself back to AA-AAA but he didnt, he chose to improve. And if you cant see that you have to judge rookies at how they improve over the course of a season just stop commenting on him. It's old.

Jurr
07-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Why must you people keep hoping on the"Bash Brian" bandwagon? Every time there is a post about what to do to fix the sox etc, there is always a talking point about "We need a major league centerfielder"..blah blah blah. Its become a cliche and is just a non-starter as far as i'm concerned.The fact is that he was terrible at the beginning of the season, he was awful at the plate and inconsistent on defence. But he has improved leaps and bounds from that point. He minimized his strike outs, is hitting doubles and sac flies and at the very least making solid contact, and his defense has improved. He has displayed huge leaps and will only get better. Rowand was bad in his 1st 2 seasons and everyone was calling for Credes head last year too...and look what happened there. If he hits .250, which I would bet on, will you quit the tired cliche ridden whinning about getting a "major league" center fielder? With a rookie in his first FULL year , if he was batting .150 earlier this season and now is batting .200 and gets to .250 do you see a full point as improvment? I sure do. Because he could have packed it in and imploded and totally played himself back to AA-AAA but he didnt, he chose to improve. And if you cant see that you have to judge rookies at how they improve over the course of a season just stop commenting on him. It's old.

The "Bash Brian Bandwagon" is a tired game. It's the same old song and dance. The "Crede sucks" and "Rowand needs to go" groups have also made their ignorant, impatient cases before. Not every player in the league is Albert Pujols. It takes time to learn. Professional baseball isn't easy.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 04:48 PM
The "Bash Brian Bandwagon" is a tired game. It's the same old song and dance. The "Crede sucks" and "Rowand needs to go" groups have also made their ignorant, impatient cases before. Not every player in the league is Albert Pujols. It takes time to learn. Professional baseball isn't easy.

Whaddaya mean? These guys are making millions playing a child's game!

ondafarm
07-16-2006, 04:51 PM

News flash!!!

Rowand is gone.

soxwon
07-16-2006, 04:55 PM
counting the 15-11 loss to the Cubs
the sox have lost 7 of 11 games
been outscored 80-66
ok ill do my best into buying into ITS JUST A SLUMP
But we better get it together in detroit, and a few trades are warrented.

Lip Man 1
Red Pin Stripes:

My post was to correct an earlier poster who said the Sox had a number of off days so they could juggle to rotation and maybe give the starters an addition day off.

In fact they don't. They lost an August off day and have to play now I think 20 straight days.

Sorry my posting bothers you but I've made over 11,000 of them so your comment about me not being around when they get their stuff together holds no water.

Feel free to research my comments when they played very well for a stretch in April and for a longer stretch in June.

Lip

buehrle4cy05
Most simple thing is putting McCarthy in the rotation where he belongs. I posted a longer article about this on my site, but here are the stats for this year, I think they speak for themself.

Name G IP H HR BB K WHIP ERA
Garland 18 109 130 19 25 55 1.42 5.37
Vazquez 18 108 118 10 28 86 1.35 5.07
McCarthy 30 49 45 8 15 32 1.22 4.22

I don't think stats tell the whole story. Yes, Javy has struggled lately, but he has 9 wins. His last three starts have been bad, but then again, so have Buehrle's. Give Javy some time. Now, if Javy continues to struggle up until the last few days of July, then Kenny has to serioulsy consider trading him.

As for Garland, in his last 2 starts, he has been pitching inside more often. Against the Cubs he went 6 strong, allowing only 2 runs. Against Baltimore he went 7, only allowing a run. When Jon pitches inside, he's a great pitcher. If he keeps pitching inside, there's no reason to think that he will have success in the second half.

BanditJimmy
07-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Brian Anderson is not the problem.

I don't want to here about Griffey, Hunter, A. Jones, etc.

The ROTATION is the problem. We have 1 good pitcher right now.

We will only go as far as our rotation will take us.... right now they are not taking us too far.

BainesHOF
07-16-2006, 05:14 PM
A couple more things:

While not THE problem, Anderson most definitely is A problem. Just because our starting staff as a whole isn't living up to expectations doesn't mean Anderson gets a free ride. We've had plenty of close losses where he hasn't contributed anything.

I agree on Garland. I said it at the break and this series has only confirmed it: He's our second-best starting pitcher at the moment. In fact, right now, I'd go with Contreras, Garland and probably McCarthy. It might be better to move McCarthy into the rotation sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, with our starters struggling so much, that leaves Contreras having to deliver just about every time out. I think he's up to the challenge. And I think Garland will step up too. I'm not so sure about Vazquez, who I believe is mentally weak, and Buehrle and Garcia, whose problems are not just location but velocity too. I tend to doubt they're suddenly going to be able to start throwing harder. That could lead us into quite a bind. Hopefully we'll turn to McCarthy soon if their velocity troubles continue. I wouldn't expect him to be our savior, but he might be a big enough improvement to get us over the hump with an effective Contreras and Garland and a strong bullpen.

Somewhere along the way it became en vogue to bemoan our bullpen. That's sort of old news. It can be strengthened, but Jenks, Thornton and Cotts are pretty darn good, and Riske is certainly serviceable. I believe it's all going to come down to how our starting pitchers perform.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:38 PM
A couple more things:

While not THE problem, Anderson most definitely is A problem. Just because our starting staff as a whole isn't living up to expectations doesn't mean Anderson gets a free ride. We've had plenty of close losses where he hasn't contributed anything.

I agree on Garland. I said it at the break and this series has only confirmed it: He's our second-best starting pitcher at the moment. In fact, right now, I'd go with Contreras, Garland and probably McCarthy. It might be better to move McCarthy into the rotation sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, with our starters struggling so much, that leaves Contreras having to deliver just about every time out. I think he's up to the challenge. And I think Garland will step up too. I'm not so sure about Vazquez, who I believe is mentally weak, and Buehrle and Garcia, whose problems are not just location but velocity too. I tend to doubt they're suddenly going to be able to start throwing harder. That could lead us into quite a bind. Hopefully we'll turn to McCarthy soon if their velocity troubles continue. I wouldn't expect him to be our savior, but he might be a big enough improvement to get us over the hump with an effective Contreras and Garland and a strong bullpen.

Somewhere along the way it became en vogue to bemoan our bullpen. That's sort of old news. It can be strengthened, but Jenks, Thornton and Cotts are pretty darn good, and Riske is certainly serviceable. I believe it's all going to come down to how our starting pitchers perform.

I agree with everything here except for the part about Anderson. While Brian was part of the problem offensively, since June 11th he has been hitting .292 with a .347 OBP. I think just about everyone here has been waiting for and expecting him to show some consistency, and for more than a month he has been showing it.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I agree with everything here except for the part about Anderson. While Brian was part of the problem offensively, since June 11th he has been hitting .292 with a .347 OBP. I think just about everyone here has been waiting for and expecting him to show some consistency, and for more than a month he has been showing it.

One more thing I forgot to add:

Brian is currently on a 6 game hitting streak and has hit in 8 of his last 10 ballgames.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:43 PM

In the next "Fallen Arches" column I make note that when the vote of confidence was given to him on June 9, Anderson was hitting .158. There are too damn many people around here talking as if that's what he is still hitting.

The Garland posts bug me, too, since he's pitched pretty well since June 1. I guess to some people around here, only April-May stats matter if someone was going bad at that point, no matter what they are doing now.

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
In the next "Fallen Arches" column I make note that when the vote of confidence was given to him on June 9, Anderson was hitting .158. There are too damn many people around here talking as if that's what he is still hitting.

The Garland posts bug me, too, since he's pitched pretty well since June 1. I guess to some people around here, only April-May stats matter if someone was going bad at that point, no matter what they are doing now.

I think a lot of people are getting so excited over the prospect of bringing Rowand back (why, I have no idea) that they are refusing to pay attention to the fact that Brian's batting average keeps creeping up toward .200.

rowand33
07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't think stats tell the whole story. Yes, Javy has struggled lately, but he has 9 wins. His last three starts have been bad, but then again, so have Buehrle's. Give Javy some time. Now, if Javy continues to struggle up until the last few days of July, then Kenny has to serioulsy consider trading him.

Javy has been attrocious. He only has 9 wins because we score 8 runs a game when the guy plays. "Give Javy some time...." he has 17 starts. That's time. The fact of the matter is, this guy has sucked for the last few years and he's a career .500 pitcher.

This season, he has one quality start against a good team, and that's the Cards in the game we scored 20 runs... so I don't even know if that counts (he also had one against Oakland, but while they're in 1st now, they were terrible in May).

I think it's time to start accepting that he probably will not be turning it around. I hope he does. I hope 06 Javy is the 05 Contreras, but 05 Contreras was no where near this bad at this point in the season.

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I think a lot of people are getting so excited over the prospect of bringing Rowand back (why, I have no idea) that they are refusing to pay attention to the fact that Brian's batting average keeps creeping up toward .200.

And, in fact, is sitting at .200 even as we speak.

EMachine10
07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Anderson's defense is definitely his strong suit. (How can it not be when you're hitting in the .100s?) He gets great jumps, but he still has A LOT to learn defensively. He's failed too often at basic things like backing up our left fielder and throwing to the right person. Spectacular? Hardly.

Offensively, Anderson has improved, but big deal. He's still bad. Even with his little "hot" streak he's still below .200. What really aggravates me about his offense is his inability to advance runners or lay down a sacrifice bunt. His low average is even weaker that it looks.

Of course getting a competent major-league center fielder who can hit would help us win more games.

I've been surprised at how many people seem to be more worried about Anderson's career than our season.

The reason that BA is not very successful at laying down sac bunts is because he has been a middle of the order force for his entire carreer up until now...that is kind of like saying that konerko or thome can't bunt...that's because they never had to...i know that BA to Thome or Konerko is a far stretch for comparison, but Anderson has never been relied on to bunt, so he prolly has never spent much time on it

Sox-o-matic
07-16-2006, 05:55 PM

Wow, I didn't even realize that!

Congrats, Brian!!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :supernana:

Next stop, .250!

TornLabrum
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
The reason that BA is not very successful at laying down sac bunts is because he has been a middle of the order force for his entire carreer up until now...that is kind of like saying that konerko or thome can't bunt...that's because they never had to...i know that BA to Thome or Konerko is a far stretch for comparison, but Anderson has never been relied on to bunt, so he prolly has never spent much time on it

WCSF members will be able to read Ozzie's comments on exactly that issue in the summer newsletter, out in a couple of weeks (I hope).

BainesHOF
07-16-2006, 07:09 PM

M-V-P! M-V-P!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really do hope Anderson continues his offensive improvement of late.

rick smeitz
07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
yup yup