PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie comments

hawkjt
07-15-2006, 12:14 PM
on his pre-game interview did mention the non-strike call on Posada from Jose. Said it changed the game. Said Jose had his best stuff in a while.

On the umpiring- I know Hawk fuels it but really doesnt it seem to be happening a lot this year. I saw that fat piece of crap Froemming out there at first and I knew we were in for yet another bad umpiring crew. Runge sucked last nite.

Then I happened to catch a little of Chet Coppock on ESPN1000 last nite and he was saying that hawk is demeaning the game by implying that the umps are fixing the games.

I just think the umps are unconsciously favoring the home team or want to put ozzie in his place or just go with the underdog.

The two pitches to Thome high and outside called strikes and then Jose would thow to the exact same spot and he did not get the call the next inning on a pitch. And the posada pitch was so obvious.

Thornton got squeezed, that ball four call was just mailed in by Runge. Is it just hawk and us that see the trend?

veeter
07-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I think it goes from game to game. The Sox being the favored team sometimes. I just think most umps flat out suck. The calls on the bases are usually excellent, but balls and strikes...really bad.

Juice16
07-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I see it all the time in every sport. In baseball, I may be the only fan of the quest tech system. I have grown tired of watching umps do a very poor job behind the plate. I'm not talking about a guy missing a call here and there. I'm speaking of umps who dish out consistent garbage throughout an entire game... like last night.

Hawk is not accusing umps of fixing games, all he is saying is what every Sox fan is thinking while they watch the game. I have no problem with announcers calling out umps if there is a consistency of bad calls.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-15-2006, 12:28 PM
I see it all the time in every sport. In baseball, I may be the only fan of the quest tech system. I have grown tired of watching umps do a very poor job behind the plate. I'm not talking about a guy missing a call here and there. I'm speaking of umps who dish out consistent garbage throughout an entire game... like last night.

Hawk is not accusing umps of fixing games, all he is saying is what every Sox fan is thinking while they watch the game. I have no problem with announcers calling out umps if there is a consistency of bad calls.

Humans grading other humans....there are bound to be errors.

That's what makes it interesting. I don't see alot of posts about the calls the Sox have gotten in the past that's won them ball games....so it does go both ways.

Juice16
07-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Humans grading other humans....there are bound to be errors.

That's what makes it interesting. I don't see alot of posts about the calls the Sox have gotten in the past that's won them ball games....so it does go both ways.

I'm talking about it going both ways. There is a designated strike zone in the MLB rule book. Why is it so hard to follow it?

Soxfanspcu11
07-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Last Sunday vs. Boston, the 19 inning game, Jose got squeezed, Schilling got everything.

Yesterday vs. New York, Jose got squeezed, Johnson got everything.

If it is random human "error", than we are very unlucky.

BainesHOF
07-15-2006, 12:37 PM
The home plate umpires have been poor for about the past six, seven games.

aryzner
07-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I think I actually got up out of my chair last night on the Posada "ball" and yelled "what the **** kind of call is that?!?!"

That one was RIDICULOUS. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect strike RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE. I was in awe of that call.

cbotnyse
07-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I think I actually got up out of my chair last night on the Posada "ball" and yelled "what the **** kind of call is that?!?!"

That one was RIDICULOUS. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect strike RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE. I was in awe of that call.I rarely complaint about umpiring, but that was horrible.....Jose threw a perfect pitch there, and then on the next one threw a cookie out of frustration I believe and Posada nailed it to take the lead. very bad call.

But stuff like that is bound to happen.

MarySwiss
07-15-2006, 01:18 PM

That one was RIDICULOUS. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect strike RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE. I was in awe of that call.

I did too. Scared the hell out of my dogs...and husband. I think he thought I was going to throw something through the TV screen.

WSox8404
07-15-2006, 01:33 PM
on his pre-game interview did mention the non-strike call on Posada from Jose. Said it changed the game. Said Jose had his best stuff in a while.

On the umpiring- I know Hawk fuels it but really doesnt it seem to be happening a lot this year. I saw that fat piece of crap Froemming out there at first and I knew we were in for yet another bad umpiring crew. Runge sucked last nite.

Then I happened to catch a little of Chet Coppock on ESPN1000 last nite and he was saying that hawk is demeaning the game by implying that the umps are fixing the games.

I just think the umps are unconsciously favoring the home team or want to put ozzie in his place or just go with the underdog.

The two pitches to Thome high and outside called strikes and then Jose would thow to the exact same spot and he did not get the call the next inning on a pitch. And the posada pitch was so obvious.

Thornton got squeezed, that ball four call was just mailed in by Runge. Is it just hawk and us that see the trend?

Your first problem is listening to anything Chet Coppock says. **** him and ESPN 1000.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Gang umpiring does not win or lose a game except in very rare circumstances.

You win games by getting folks out period.

Blaming umpires for the team's shortcomings is a pathetic excuse.

Instead of blaming umpires try pitching better or score more friggin' runs then the other guys.

Lip

SOXfnNlansing
07-15-2006, 04:44 PM
maybe the home plate umpire can wear a headset that is linked to an official umpire in one of the press boxes. The 'official' can watch the tv and tell the home plate ump what the pitch is and then the ump can call balls and strikes that way.

I know I never blow calls from my couch. It's so obvious to me what a ball and strike is. :redneck

Dick Allen
07-15-2006, 05:58 PM
The umpiring on balls and strikes seems to have been going downhill for some years now. It seems to get worse every year. It can completely determine the course of games and force otherwise decent pitchers to make adjustments that they're maybe not so good at making. I guess the best pitchers are the ones who make the best adjustments.

MarySwiss
07-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Maybe it's just me, but it always seems as though he is auditioning for jobs that are not yet available. (IIRC, he also ripped Steve Stone about his reporting during the infamous "Bartman incident.")

Please God, NEVER let this guy NEAR a Sox booth. I'd rather have North!

SBSoxFan
07-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Gang umpiring does not win or lose a game except in very rare circumstances.

You win games by getting folks out period.

Blaming umpires for the team's shortcomings is a pathetic excuse.

Instead of blaming umpires try pitching better or score more friggin' runs then the other guys.

Lip
It's hard to beat people by outscoring them. :?:

schmitty9800
07-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Chet Coppock's an idiot.

That said, we're not facing a conspiracy. When an Ump gets into Yankee stadium, Fenway, or any sold out park with passionate fans there's a little intimidation that goes on. When an Ump hears that "BOOOO" after a close pitch something gets into his head, and he'll start unconsciously changing calls. Umps do get influenced by the crowd just like the players are.

All we can do is keep coming out to the Cell and supporting the team with the best home record in the majors!

bayzbol44
07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Sox fans are complaining about umpires after what happened in the ALCS????

TheOldRoman
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Sox fans are complaining about umpires after what happened in the ALCS???? :rolleyes: Yeah, because, a call went our way on an extremely close play that even super slow-motion zoom-in replays couldn't determine.

Look, there is a conscious effort from the umpires to screw the Sox. There has been for a while. Umpires are like a fraternity, and they don't like when you mess with one of their own. They are stupid, lazy, and it doesn't matter if they blow a call - you don't question them.

In 2004 Ozzie got thrown out by the Froemming/Wendlestedt crew for arguing Carlos Lee being thrown out stealing second. I was at the game, Ozzie was tossed before he even crossed the third base line. The lazy piece of **** Froemming had beached his roughly 450 lbs of excrement behind second base. When the play was developing, he was too stupid and lazy to move and position himself so he could see the play (he was blocked by the SS). He called Lee out, although he was never tagged. Missing a strike call here and there is human, but there is NEVER an excuse for blowing a call because you are to lazy to position yourself. Of course, when Ozzie started yelling, he was told by Froemming and Wendlestedt to "shut the **** up, you don't know what the hell you are talking about." Ozzie told the media word for word what happened, and was supsended. The umps publically called Ozzie a liar. He responded, and was suspended again.

Wendlestedt screwed the Sox again the first series in Oakland last year. This crew allowed the A's to bean and batter our players in the first two games. They injured two of our players via HBP, and even hit one of the Sox AFTER warnings were issued, without getting tossed out. Of course, warnings were issued before game 3. In game three, his strikezone was horrible. Wendlestedt ordered Crede to go back to the plate after he was hit by a pitch. When Ozzie came out to argue, he was tossed out. Wendlestedt was fined, but only because Comcast cameras picked him up saying "shut the **** up. Shut your ****ing mouth, you don't know what you are talking about."

Since the first incident, the Sox have been screw by the umps repeatedly. They don't like when you call out one of their own, no matter how incompetent they are. We have been squeezed time and time again. It isn't fixing the games. It is just a concerted effort to screw over Ozzie Guillen by certain umpires who are pissed he called them out for being stupid and lazy. It isn't every umpire, and it isn't every night. However, we have seen it time and time again. You have to play the game and ignore the umpires, but it is hard to win when your pitcher has to throw into a teacup and the opponent has a 4'x4' strikezone.

RadioheadRocks
07-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Your first problem is listening to anything Chet Coppock says. **** him and ESPN 1000.

Friends don't let friends listen to Coppock. :cool:

TheOldRoman
07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I just wanted to clarify my above post. I am not blaming the umpires for the Sox playing horribly lately. The players apparently don't care right now whether they win or not. It is the players' fault that they have played like **** of late, but it is impossible to ignore the horrible calls we have received.

mwc44
07-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Hawk said it best about Conteras, "If he let it get in his head, shame on him."

TornLabrum
07-15-2006, 11:49 PM
players apparently don't care right now whether they win or not.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read here in ages.

oeo
07-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I just wanted to clarify my above post. I am not blaming the umpires for the Sox playing horribly lately. The players apparently don't care right now whether they win or not. It is the players' fault that they have played like **** of late, but it is impossible to ignore the horrible calls we have received.
Yeah, they don't care.

That's why you can see the emotion when they popout or strikeout, make a bad play. Do you have evidence that they don't care, or you just assume so because they lost a couple of games? Because I've seen numerous times in the last two days that AJ has thrown his bat to the ground because he popped out. Maybe they aren't playing well, but to say they don't care...:rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
07-16-2006, 12:12 AM
This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read here in ages.
That was posted in anger, and I am probably overreacting a little. However, my comment was based on AJ's comments to the affect of "We are having such a great year. The fans need to lighten up on us a little because we can't win every game." The Sox haven't played solid, fundamental baseball all year. The pitching has been shakey, the defense has been inconsistant, and we are not moving runners along like we should.
I don't want our players smashing things after losses, but I don't think they should be pleased with their performance to date. There is a lot of room for improvement.