PDA

View Full Version : Start AJ

lukeman89
07-14-2006, 09:56 PM
every game for the rest of the year.

widger stinks

AJ is batting .299 against lefties this year, widger is batting an astounding .171 against lefties.
AJ is batting .329 against righties, widger is batting .250
AJ's defense and pitch calling are above and beyond anything widger could wish to have.

AJ just had 4 days off, so i dont know why he didnt start today.

JB98
07-14-2006, 09:57 PM

widger stinks

AJ is batting .299 against lefties this year, widger is batting an astounding .171 against lefties.
AJ's defense and pitch calling are above and beyond anything widger could wish to have.

Left-handed hitters can't touch Johnson. Did you see the weak ABs Thome had? That's why AJ didn't start. Widger homered off Johnson last year. Give it a rest. We didn't lose because of Widger. We lost because of **** relief pitching and bad umpiring.

Daver
07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
You can't start a cather six days a week, you'd kill him.

Soxgirl22
07-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Every game for the rest of the year? Are you kidding?

Even AJ needs a break every now and then. Widger is the only guy we've got. Give him a break.

oeo
07-14-2006, 10:04 PM

widger stinks

I'd rather have AJ play all 3 games in Detroit. And he's not going to do that if he plays every game this series. Stop whining, they didn't lose because of Widger.

I can't believe you just said to start him 'every game for the rest of the year'...wow.

JB98
07-14-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd rather have AJ play all 3 games in Detroit. And he's not going to do that if he plays every game this series. Stop whining, they didn't lose because of Widger.

I can't believe you just said to start him 'every game for the rest of the year'...wow.

As it stands now, I'm worried about AJ wearing down. He's played a ton this year. If anything, Widger needs to start more.

slobes
07-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I seeing Widge behind the plate as much as the next guy, but it's impossible for AJ to catch more than he is. The worst thing we could do right now is over play him. Save him for the playoffs.

IlliniSox4Life
07-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Forget starting him everyday at catcher, move AJ to the rotation and put Freddy behind the plate! Freddy's a big solid guy that I bet can catch pretty well and block balls in the dirt. He hasn't been throwing too well lately though. Aj's got a cannon and would be the piece were missing with our staff.

lukeman89
07-14-2006, 10:15 PM
just frustrated with widger, thats all. it seems every game he starts, we lose.

but i have a question for you baseball guru's about match ups

say you have a lefty hitter who has 50 hits in 100 at bats on the year against lefties. unrealistic? sure, but just for the sake of argument...and lets say he goes up against a lefty pitcher who on the year has a lefty BAA of .190. whose stat do you pay attention to and make the decision on?

kwolf68
07-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Widger has struggled, but we do have the 2nd best record in baseball with ONLY ONE starter carrying a sub 4 era.

If our arms get it going we'll be playing ball in October.

Daver
07-14-2006, 10:38 PM
just frustrated with widger, thats all. it seems every game he starts, we lose.

but i have a question for you baseball guru's about match ups

say you have a lefty hitter who has 50 hits in 100 at bats on the year against lefties. unrealistic? sure, but just for the sake of argument...and lets say he goes up against a lefty pitcher who on the year has a lefty BAA of .190. whose stat do you pay attention to and make the decision on?This has nothing to do with stats, if you have a lefty hitter that can hit lefty pitchers, you play him, but if your catcher is a lefty, you give him the day off.

Soxfanspcu11
07-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Umm.....I don't see the point of this thread.

AJ is our starting catcher, an all-star. He plays in pretty much every game. The only time he doesn't play is if it's the last game of a series and a day game, or if the oppossing starting pitcher has AJ's number. Other than that, he is out there.

Widger is our back-up catcher, he plays in back up situations. If you are truly expecting anything from Widger, then you need to get your head checked.

All that being said, Widger is a decent backup. He can have a really good game here and there. Let's not forget that Sox management and coaches chose him over Ben Davis, for a reason.

Again, AJ=Starter, Widger=Backup. Not much needs to be said.

getonbckthr
07-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Henry Blanco please.

JB98
07-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Henry Blanco please.

Teal?

getonbckthr
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Teal?
No because his bat is slightly better than Widger but I feel we wouldn't lose alot as far as defense and calling of a game.

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
No because his bat is slightly better than Widger but I feel we wouldn't lose alot as far as defense and calling of a game.

So you want to give up a prospect to address the backup catching situation? Sorry, but I can't go along with that. Chris Widger is the least of my worries. He only plays once a week, and he won't play at all in the playoffs. He's not hurting anything.

Henry Blanco is hitting .235, and the only reason his average is that high is because of one hot streak while Barrett was suspended. He's maybe a slight upgrade. MAYBE. And maybe is not worth giving up even a midlevel prospect.

getonbckthr
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
So you want to give up a prospect to address the backup catching situation? Sorry, but I can't go along with that. Chris Widger is the least of my worries. He only plays once a week, and he won't play at all in the playoffs. He's not hurting anything.

Henry Blanco is hitting .235, and the only reason his average is that high is because of one hot streak while Barrett was suspended. He's maybe a slight upgrade. MAYBE. And maybe is not worth giving up even a midlevel prospect.
Considering Minnesota has Liriano and Santana, Cleveland has Sabathia, we might see Johnson again later in the season. We are gonna see more top lefties this year so we should have a backup we feel good about.

HotelWhiteSox
07-15-2006, 12:14 AM
I would've liked to seen him start because experience against likely playoff pitchers can only help. He had 4 days off anyways

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Considering Minnesota has Liriano and Santana, Cleveland has Sabathia, we might see Johnson again later in the season. We are gonna see more top lefties this year so we should have a backup we feel good about.

I wouldn't feel any better about Henry Blanco than I do about Chris Widger. Again, I'm not willing to part with any prospects for such a minor upgrade.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Teal?
Henry Blanco is a billion times better than Widger right now.

Blanco handles pitchers better, can throw out runners, and his splits against LHP are way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, better than Widger's.

IF SOMEONE IN SOX MANAGMENT IS READING THIS, PLEASE RELEASE WIDGER!!!

Last year it was a great story for a softball catcher to be on a world series team, but this year he is awful and is HURTING the team.

Please kick his ass to the curb.

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Henry Blanco is a billion times better than Widger right now.

Blanco handles pitchers better, can throw out runners, and his splits against LHP are way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, better than Widger's.

IF SOMEONE IN SOX MANAGMENT IS READING THIS, PLEASE RELEASE WIDGER!!!

Last year it was a great story for a softball catcher to be on a world series team, but this year he is awful and is HURTING the team.

Please kick his ass to the curb.

ROTFLMAO. Ask the Cubs fans how they feel about the immortal Henry Blanco.

Widger plays once a week. He's destroying our team.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Chris Widger overall: .194/.277/.278 FOR A .555 OPS!!!
Chris Widger against LHP: .159/.205/.255 .460 OPS :o:

Henry Blanco Overall: .235/.280/.429/.709 OPS.
Henry Blanco against LHP: .316/.366/.553/ .919 OPS!!!
THAT'S A .459 ADVANTAGE IN OPS!!!

Blanco also has a much better arm, and handles pitchers better.

How exactly is this a "slight" upgrade? :?:

getonbckthr
07-15-2006, 12:28 AM

Thank you I was too lazy too look stats up.

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:30 AM

Henry Blanco had one hot streak while Barrett was suspended. All the damage he's done for the entire season came in one week's time. Other than one stinking week where he hit over .500, he has absolutely SUCKED this year. Let me repeat: SUCKED. His batting average was below .100 in late May.

You want to trade for that? *****. If the Cubs release Blanco and he costs us nothing, maybe I can see it. But I'm not giving up a prospect for that guy. I really don't care what numbers you post. You will not change my mind.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 12:32 AM
ROTFLMAO. Ask the Cubs fans how they feel about the immortal Henry Blanco.

Widger plays once a week. He's destroying our team.
They'd tell you he's a great defensive catcher who handles pitchers well and hits LHP tremendously.

Is it conicidental that Maddux, Prior and Zambrano prefer to pitch to Blanco over the offensive (in more ways than one) Michelle Barrett?

Our starting pitchers have not had a quality start with Widger behind the plate since June 15th. (Buehrle against the Rangers) The last time before that? May 20th (Garcia against the Cubs, a team he historically dominates.)

But a catcher who can only get two quality starts in a 3 month span out this starting pitching staff isn't hurting the team at all! :rolleyes:

Folks, it's time to wake up and realized Widger sucks.
Great clubhouse guy, but he sucks.
Great story last season, but he sucks.
He sucks, and he is hurting our team behind the plate, and is certainly not helping them at the plate either.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Henry Blanco had one hot streak while Barrett was suspended. All the damage he's done for the entire season came in one week's time. Other than one stinking week where he hit over .500, he has absolutely SUCKED this year. Let me repeat: SUCKED. His batting average was below .100 in late May.

You want to trade for that? *****. If the Cubs release Blanco and he costs us nothing, maybe I can see it. But I'm not giving up a prospect for that guy. I really don't care what numbers you post. You will not change my mind.
Yeah, those raw numbers and FACTS just have to get in the way of your argument don't they?

Blanco has hit in all of June (not just a week) and is off to a good start in July.

Get back to me when Widger has shown any signs of helping this team out.

Blanco has the much better track record, hits LHP better (which Ideally is when Ozzie would use him. How can you argue a .919 OPS vs. a .460 OPS?)

I'm not saying trade the farm for him, and I think he wouldn't cost that much because Chin Hendry gave him some pretty good dough ($2.4 million this year IIRC)

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:40 AM
They'd tell you he's a great defensive catcher who handles pitchers well and hits LHP tremendously.

Is it conicidental that Maddux, Prior and Zambrano prefer to pitch to Blanco over the offensive (in more ways than one) Michelle Barrett?

Our starting pitchers have not had a quality start with Widger behind the plate since June 15th. (Buehrle against the Rangers) The last time before that? May 20th (Garcia against the Cubs, a team he historically dominates.)

But a catcher who can only get two quality starts in a 3 month span out this starting pitching staff isn't hurting the team at all! :rolleyes:

Folks, it's time to wake up and realized Widger sucks.
Great clubhouse guy, but he sucks.
Great story last season, but he sucks.
He sucks, and he is hurting our team behind the plate, and is certainly not helping them at the plate either.

Contreras threw the ball great tonight. He just got beat by a couple of bad calls and a couple of bloops. Obviously, it was Widger's poor game-calling. Last season, our team ERA with Widger behind the plate was 3.30. Did Chris become stupid over the course of the offseason? I doubt it. Every single member of our starting rotation is having a weaker season than last year regardless of who is behind the plate.

Jesus, I'm not saying Widger is a great player. But Blanco sucks too. Get over it.

JB98
07-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Yeah, those raw numbers and FACTS just have to get in the way of your argument don't they?

Blanco has hit in all of June (not just a week) and is off to a good start in July.

Get back to me when Widger has shown any signs of helping this team out.

Blanco has the much better track record, hits LHP better (which Ideally is when Ozzie would use him. How can you argue a .919 OPS vs. a .460 OPS?)

I'm not saying trade the farm for him, and I think he wouldn't cost that much because Chin Hendry gave him some pretty good dough ($2.4 million this year IIRC)

I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for Henry Blanco, and I don't give a **** what his OPS is. Go work for Billy Beane. I'm done with this ****ing bull****.

Soxfanspcu11
07-15-2006, 12:48 AM
The last time before that? May 20th (Garcia against the Cubs, a team he historically dominates.)

:?: Widger caught the game where AJ got punched in the face? Maybe you mean something else that I'm not getting.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Widger. As I have said, and other posters as well, he is a back-up. He is not hurting us out there. He doesn't play enough to warrant ANY sort of trade.

I really hope that KW is focusing his strengths at EVERYTHING other then what Widger is doing. Widger has got to be the LEAST of our worries.

santo=dorf
07-15-2006, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't give a squirt of piss for Henry Blanco, and I don't give a **** what his OPS is. Go work for Billy Beane. I'm done with this ****ing bull****.
So Blanco handling a pitching staff better and having a better arm isn't noteworthy?

The fact that the Sox have had two quality starts in THREE months with Widger behind the plate means nothing to you?

You're right, I am completely wasting my time having this argument with you. :o:

You can have Widger and his crappy game calling, arm throwing, 4 extra base hits, and his inability to touch LHP.

I'll take the proven guy.

TDog
07-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I addressed this issue in the thread about starting lineups. I won't repeat myself here.

I firmly don't believe AJ or any catcher, should start every game through July, August and September. Maybe AJ could start at first some days and Konerko could catch, but you would probably dislike that more than Widger's presence. The Sox don't have the luxury of DHing AJ when they are resting him.

Demand a new backup catcher, but don't demand AJ to catch every day.

DSpivack
07-15-2006, 02:21 AM
What we need is a right-handed back up catcher who can hit lefties, calls games perfectly, has a good arm and is good defensively. If we found something like that, why wouldn't he be starting?

MISoxfan
07-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Exactly, it's a backup catcher. We're not going to find a superstar replacement. The Sox have been consistently beaten by left handed pitching long before Widger came along.

southsideirish71
07-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Sox record

7-13 when widger starts :angry:
50-19 when aj starts :D:

Chips
07-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I addressed this issue in the thread about starting lineups. I won't repeat myself here.

I firmly don't believe AJ or any catcher, should start every game through July, August and September. Maybe AJ could start at first some days and Konerko could catch, but you would probably dislike that more than Widger's presence. The Sox don't have the luxury of DHing AJ when they are resting him.

Demand a new backup catcher, but don't demand AJ to catch every day.

No way.

digdagdug23
07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Widger. As I have said, and other posters as well, he is a back-up. He is not hurting us out there. He doesn't play enough to warrant ANY sort of trade.

I agree, to an extent. I get a pit in my stomach when Widger is catching, but if Kenny makes any moves at all, it isn't going to be for a catcher. There are certain things about Widge that drive me batty. For instance, he is reluctant to calm down the pitchers, and his motions on catching the ball can seem beleaguered (his framing technique is attrocious), to name a few. Now, these items are miniscule, and may not add up to a hill of beans, but they drive me nuts when I watch him in the game.

AJ can NOT catch every game from here on out, to suggest so is on the brink of insanity. Widge doesn't do a BAD job, but he doesn't do well, either.

I think we look for reasons to explain away a loss, and Widge was not the key factor in this one. We played a good team, we lost by 1 with a great attempt at a comeback. Put it in the books, and look to the next game.

Chicken Dinner
07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
An upgrade in the back up catchers position couldn't hurt. Widger just isn't cutting it. He hasn't had a hit in the last 6 games he's played in, we've lost the last 4 in a row that he's caught, and he just beat out BA for the lowest average on the team. Take a look around Kenny. Last year you replaced Willie with Blum, this year who knows.

Chips
07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
An upgrade in the back up catchers position couldn't hurt. Widger just isn't cutting it. He hasn't had a hit in the last 6 games he's played in, we've lost the last 4 in a row that he's caught, and he just beat out BA for the lowest average on the team. Take a look around Kenny. Last year you replaced Willie with Blum, this year who knows.

I don't care too much for Widger. I don't like the way he calls the game, etc. But you cannot start AJ every game as the thread starter stated. There is a reason this guy was playing softball in 2004. Try and find new catcher.