PDA

View Full Version : More jaythejoke.com

FielderJones
07-14-2006, 05:08 PM
The Plot to Get Mariotti (http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/hottype/060714/)

Peterson has a hunch that behind the site thereís a PR firm hired to destroy Mariotti. He notes that Jay the Joke posted a letter Reinsdorf and Cubs president Andy MacPhail jointly sent on March 28 to Sun-Times publisher John Cruickshank protesting a Mariotti column on baseball commissioner Bud Selig and steroids. How could Jay the Joke get that letter, Peterson wondered, unless there was collusion?

The facts as I now understand them donít advance Petersonís conspiracy theory, but they donít flatter Mariottiís enemies either. Iíll begin with jaythejoke.com. So far as I can tell, it was launched in April by a couple of young goofs, not a PR firm. The founder who allowed himself to be identified by Greenstein is Matt Lynch, a Northwestern grad student who lives near Wrigley Field. But Lynch says a buddy of his had the original idea. The buddy has a job in the entertainment industry on the west coast and wouldnít tell me his name on the record. He said his father is a major Chicago celebrity (and an occasional Mariotti antagonist), and he didnít want him implicated.

Hmmmmmm ....

patbooyah
07-14-2006, 05:09 PM
yeah, i run that site, so... :cool:

lumpyspun
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
spam :smile:

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
yeah, i run that site, so... :cool:The jig is up, Pat.

SBSoxFan
07-14-2006, 05:29 PM
The buddy has a job in the entertainment industry on the west coast and wouldnít tell me his name on the record. He said his father is a major Chicago celebrity (and an occasional Mariotti antagonist), and he didnít want him implicated.
Casey Harrelson???

DumpJerry
07-14-2006, 06:12 PM
****house in 3-2.............

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
:moron

Expect to be served with papers by the morning, Pat.

MarySwiss
07-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Why, Dump? He's not selling anything. And I'm pretty sure most of us had already figured that out anyway.

Of course, the windsock references probably will get it sent to the ****house.

BTW, who the hell is "Michael Miner?"

Johnny Mostil
07-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Why, Dump? He's not selling anything. And I'm pretty sure most of us had already figured that out anyway.

Of course, the windsock references probably will get it sent to the ****house.

BTW, who the hell is "Michael Miner?"

I hadn't known of Patbooyah's connection with jaythejoke.com, but I admit his name was the first I thought of when i read Miner's column.

Mary: Michael Miner is a long-time writer for the Chicago Reader and (obviously) the writer of its "Hot Type" column. He's been writing for the Reader probably as long as I've read it (intermittently for 20+ years not). He may be an acquired taste; once upon a time I didn't have it, but now I do. I'm sure he stays awake late at night worrying about my approval.

ewokpelts
07-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Peterson has a hunch that behind the site thereís a PR firm hired to destroy Mariotti. He notes that Jay the Joke posted a letter Reinsdorf and Cubs president Andy MacPhail jointly sent on March 28 to Sun-Times publisher John Cruickshank protesting a Mariotti column on baseball commissioner Bud Selig and steroids. How could Jay the Joke get that letter, Peterson wondered, unless there was collusion?
didnt whitesox.com post the joint letter as a press release?

HotelWhiteSox
07-14-2006, 08:44 PM
didnt whitesox.com post the joint letter as a press release?

Yes, this Peterson fellow should get off his high horse and actually do some homework.

FielderJones
07-15-2006, 12:30 AM

:o:

On what grounds? I thought it was interesting that a WSIer was involved. It's not political and it's not commercial spam. And Pat copped to it immediately :cool:

chaerulez
07-17-2006, 02:21 AM
chicagosports.com has reported this also...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060716teddy,1,4859064.column?coll=cs-home-utility

DaleJRFan
07-17-2006, 03:13 AM
chicagosports.com has reported this also...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060716teddy,1,4859064.column?coll=cs-home-utility

The last paragraph is either very telling, or really funny...

Mariotti, meanwhile, remains "on vacation." His last column ran June 26... Mariotti has continued to appear on ESPN's "Around the Horn" during his vacation, which, Sun-Times editor in chief John Barron told the Reader, will continue for "weeks and weeks and weeks."

russ99
07-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Mariotti, meanwhile, remains "on vacation." His last column ran June 26... Mariotti has continued to appear on ESPN's "Around the Horn" during his vacation, which, Sun-Times editor in chief John Barron told the Reader, will continue for "weeks and weeks and weeks."

It will be interesting if there's no column by Jay the Joke today, since the incident and the convenient July 4th holiday excuse are all long gone.

Plus, after Ozzie called him out, which Chicago athlete will ever take him seriously again? He obviously hasn't the guts to show up in a clubhouse.

I for one would rejoice if he's kicked out of town.

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Hmmm...could that mean he's on a three-week vacation?

DumpJerry
07-17-2006, 09:24 AM
I think he checked into a rehab center for the ethically challenged. I hear the group sessions are interesting. "Now Jay, how can the group trust you to be telling the truth?" "...."

wdelaney72
07-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, Pat, like many others here, I love the site. Great work!

Flight #24
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Oh please please please please. His jig is up, maybe his bosses finally got the stones to do something about it. Like I don't know, maybe get rid of him or if he's got a contract, shift him to political commentary or something.

I'm sure he'd just to a global search & replace of an old column swapping "Reinsdorf" for "Bush/Democrats" and "Sox" for "White House".

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Oh please please please please. His jig is up, maybe his bosses finally got the stones to do something about it. Like I don't know, maybe get rid of him or if he's got a contract, shift him to political commentary or something.

I'm sure he'd just to a global search & replace of an old column swapping "Reinsdorf" for "Bush/Democrats" and "Sox" for "White House".

Or he could replace that gal who does all the reports on parties, charity events, etc. (whose name, of course, I can't think of now, but I've heard her on the Dahl show). I'm sure with Jay's social graces he'd fit right in with that crowd.

DaleJRFan
07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Hmmm...could that mean he's on a three-week vacation?

:redneck Ha.. nice one Hal. The quote was "weeks and weeks and weeks" so does that mean a 6 week vacation?? I'd like one of those!!!

Plus, after Ozzie called him out, which Chicago athlete will ever take him seriously again? He obviously hasn't the guts to show up in a clubhouse.

Right on. The Windsock's racket isn't to produce insightful sports writing, e\rather only to ruffle feathers. I find it hard to believe any professional athelete takes him seriously. I absolutely loved what AJ had to say on PTI about the windsock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnHo1OOAwo

skottyj242
07-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Good picture in the Trib today Pat.

Flight #24
07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Right on. The Windsock's racket isn't to produce insightful sports writing, e\rather only to ruffle feathers. I find it hard to believe any professional athelete takes him seriously. I absolutely loved what AJ had to say on PTI about the windsock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnHo1OOAwo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnHo1OOAwo)

Well, I can't believe anyone in this town took him seriously before, and it's not like he was doing any actual game watching, interviews, etc - you know "journalism". So as long as the ST lets him, he'll continue to generate his vitriolic fiction.

As for him taking over as the social commentator, the only problem is that I think to do that, you need to actually get invited to those parties. Although it would be in keeping with Moron's style to just start writing about them without ever attending!

hawkjt
07-17-2006, 12:37 PM
heard jay doing an interview with north this am. He conceded that the paper and him needed a break from each other(LOL).

Sounds like an unofficial suspension to me. He says he will be back writing in a few weeks and everything will be back to normal. wish he would get to replace Bob Ryan at the boston globe who is retiring. Boston and Jay deserve each other.

patbooyah
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Good picture in the Trib today Pat.

my picture is in there?! what the jive!

Lip Man 1
07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Congrats Pat!!!

Lip

peeonwrigley
07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
heard jay doing an interview with north this am. He conceded that the paper and him needed a break from each other(LOL).

Sounds like an unofficial suspension to me. He says he will be back writing in a few weeks and everything will be back to normal. wish he would get to replace Bob Ryan at the boston globe who is retiring. Boston and Jay deserve each other.
I can't believe local media outlets are letting this guy on the airwaves. Oh wait, its North :rolleyes:

Oh and I should note I've actually bought the Sun-Times a few times lately to celebrate Jay's absence.

The Immigrant
07-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Pat - fantastic work!

Kudos to you and your buddy for getting this started. I've seen lots of good press on your site from the likes of Deadspin and other sports bloggers.

RadioheadRocks
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Pat - fantastic work!

Kudos to you and your buddy for getting this started. I've seen lots of good press on your site from the likes of Deadspin and other sports bloggers.

I concur, you da MAN, Pat! :cool:

skottyj242
07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
my picture is in there?! what the jive!

That's right, you probably can't see it on-line.

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't pick up that rag, so I didn't see it, but I'll add my congrats, too, Pat.

MarySwiss
07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
That's right, you probably can't see it on-line.

Nope. At least not on my computer.

henchmanUK
07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Heh, heh! Good work Pat.
GO GO CHAMPIONS!

miker
07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh please please please please. His jig is up,

This is not a criticism but a question -- shouldn't the phrase be his "gig is up?" Jig reminds me of an Irish dance...

BTW if the Windsock never appears in another Chicago newspaper, I will be more than satisfied that even the print media has standards, albeit low ones.

MarySwiss
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
This is not a criticism but a question -- shouldn't the phrase be his "gig is up?" Jig reminds me of an Irish dance...

BTW if the Windsock never appears in another Chicago newspaper, I will be more than satisfied that even the print media has standards, albeit low ones.

Okay. I guess I'm officially bored to tears!

It's "jig." Reason? According to The Word Detective (http://www.word-detective.com/121597.html) , an extended meaning of "jig" is a joke, jesting matter, trick or cheat.

5 more hours 'til game time. Yikes!

miker
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Okay. I guess I'm officially bored to tears!

It's "jig." Reason? According to The Word Detective (http://www.word-detective.com/121597.html) , an extended meaning of "jig" is a joke, jesting matter, trick or cheat.

5 more hours 'til game time. Yikes!
Well I thank your boredom for satisfying my curiousity.

Now, let's go beat the Tigers...