PDA

View Full Version : ESPN really hates the Tigers

DumpJerry
07-14-2006, 04:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking?season=2006&week=16&preview=true

ESPN cannot say anything nice about the Tigers week after week in the power rankings. Whomever puts this together really seems to think the Tigers are keeping first place in the AL Central warm for the Sox. If ESPN said stuff about the Sox they are saying about the Tigers, we'd see the return of Hangar18 to these parts!

Sox-o-matic
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Whomever puts this together really seems to think the Tigers are keeping first place in the AL Central warm for the Sox.

That's because they are. Finally, I can agree with ESPN about something.

patbooyah
07-14-2006, 04:52 PM
whoever puts that together has the yankees listed as the third best team in baseball. that pretty much ruins all credibility right there.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-14-2006, 04:54 PM
That's because they are. Finally, I can agree with ESPN about something.

AHHHHH! *Cat Screaming* *Thunder Clap* *Broken Window* :o:

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I think they do this **** just to get people to pay attention.

buehrle4cy05
07-14-2006, 04:58 PM
whoever puts that together has the yankees listed as the third best team in baseball. that pretty much ruins all credibility right there.

Bingo. There's no way the Yankees are a better team than the Red Sox, Mets, and Blue Jays.

SoxFan76
07-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Bingo. There's no way the Yankees are a better team than the Red Sox, Mets, and Blue Jays.

But aren't the Power Rankings based on the past week? Not the whole season.

edit

And looking at the standings, the White Sox, Yankees, and Tigers are all 6-4 in their last 10. The Red Sox and Blue Jays are 5-5. So if I did remembered correctly, that would make more sense.

PKalltheway
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Of course, the Tigers need to make the playoffs first.
Wow. ESPN just needs to accept the fact that the Tigers are going to make the playoffs. By the Wild Card though.:cool: ESPN just needs to take a hint: either the Red Sox or Yankees are going home this year. Both of them aren't going to make it like they have the past three years. It's either Boston or New York. Just accept that fact right now.

gbergman
07-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Thank God we won't be seeing Hangar18 in these parts

StockdaleForVeep
07-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Wow. ESPN just needs to accept the fact that the Tigers are going to make the playoffs. By the Wild Card though.:cool: ESPN just needs to take a hint: either the Red Sox or Yankees are going home this year. Both of them aren't going to make it like they have the past three years. It's either Boston or New York. Just accept that fact right now.

No one is guarenteed a playoff spot and stranger things have happened. Hell, sox ran a considerable risk and coulda missed the playoffs last year. Should be a very interesting and entertaining second half. Sox win the division by 34 games :)

nasox
07-14-2006, 05:39 PM
IMHO, this is what's the score material.

DumpJerry
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
IMHO, this is what's the score material.
Why? It's not a discussion of the Cubs or rumors.

buehrle4cy05
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM
But aren't the Power Rankings based on the past week? Not the whole season.

edit

And looking at the standings, the White Sox, Yankees, and Tigers are all 6-4 in their last 10. The Red Sox and Blue Jays are 5-5. So if I did remembered correctly, that would make more sense.

If they were based on the past week/10 games, then what about the week when the Royals went 8-2? When the Marlins went on that little streak?

doublem23
07-14-2006, 06:23 PM

Not the Red Sox, maybe the Blue Jays, but the Yankees are definitely better than the Mets.

itsnotrequired
07-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Not the Red Sox, maybe the Blue Jays, but the Yankees are definitely better than the Mets.

Agreed. The Mets sure as heck wouldn't be a division leader if they played in the AL.

Britt Burns
07-14-2006, 07:50 PM

I noticed that also. The Yank$ don't even come close to having the team Boston has, and they are behind the Mets as well. Stupid.

DSpivack
07-14-2006, 08:36 PM
I noticed that also. The Yank$ don't even come close to having the team Boston has, and they are behind the Mets as well. Stupid.
I gotta agree with the last few posts; the Mets rotation consists of Pedro and Glavine, who let's say would be just as good in the AL. Steve Trachsel and the rest? Ouch. Yanks have a much better lineup than the Mets, and the bullpens may be more or less equal, with a slight edge to the Mets. If the Mets were in the AL, though, I think they'd be right around Toronto, if not a couple games back. Since they're in the NL, they're favorites to go the Series.

TheOldRoman
07-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Are you kidding? ESPN loves the Tigers.
Last year all we heard from ESPN was that the Sox were a huge fluke, they were a mediocre team, and they would collapse. They spewed the same **** the entire year, up until we clinched. The Tigers got off to a hot start, and after two weeks ESPN was bending over backwards to praise the Tigers, saying they were so great, calling them the "best team in baseball" at every turn, and giving us daily explanations why the Tigers were so good and would stick around. The 2005 Sox (which was a much better team from a talent standpoint than these Tigers) was a fluke the entire time, but the 06 Tigers were the "real deal" after two weeks? *****.

FloridaTigers
07-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Are you kidding? ESPN loves the Tigers.
Last year all we heard from ESPN was that the Sox were a huge fluke, they were a mediocre team, and they would collapse. They spewed the same **** the entire year, up until we clinched. The Tigers got off to a hot start, and after two weeks ESPN was bending over backwards to praise the Tigers, saying they were so great, calling them the "best team in baseball" at every turn, and giving us daily explanations why the Tigers were so good and would stick around. The 2005 Sox (which was a much better team from a talent standpoint than these Tigers) was a fluke the entire time, but the 06 Tigers were the "real deal" after two weeks? *****.

I don't think you and me watch the same ESPN. All I ever hear on BBTN is "The Tigers have the best record, blah blah blah, but they won't make it". Did you see last week's The Sports Reporters? When talking baseball division races, they mentioned the Sox and TWINS more then the Tigers. But they mentioned the Sox and Yanks alot more then any of the three AL Central teams combined. You gotta stop that "Woe is me, ESPN hates us" crap. Since when does ESPN manage the Sox or any other team? Who cares what they say? Thats the approach I take to them. If they talk about us, alright. If they don't, thats ok too.

100 Year Itch
07-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Since when does ESPN manage the Sox or any other team? Who cares what they say? Thats the approach I take to them. If they talk about us, alright. If they don't, thats ok too.

Yeah, I'm getting a little nervous now that the consensus opinion among the national sports guessers, er, analysts seems to be our Sox over the Mets in the World Series. Has the consensus opinion ever been correct when it comes to predicting WS match-ups halfway through the season? Don't they usually fall flat on their face; meaning currying favor from the national mediots is typically the death knell for the fans of any team with deep playoff plus aspirations?

And what drives the motivation behind these prognostications, specifically the herd mentallity where most national analysts line up and seemingly reach a consensus? Is this being driven out of Vegas-- do they start pushing lines / bets by using their minions in the media to popularize them?

whitesoxfan1986
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I dunno about that. the Yankees are kicking our ass right now. So maybe they are better than you think.