PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade for a top 3 pitcher?

voodoochile
02-15-2002, 01:21 AM
Say you could land another pitcher on the level of a Buehrle or Ritchie. A solid veteran pitcher who will eat some innings and make a run at 18 + wins...

What would you trade and how would it affect your thoughts on the upcoming season?

Well being really bad at figuring out trades (I tend to give away way too much), I believe that another pitcher like that would give the Sox an excellent chance to advance in the playoffs in 2002. So, how much would it be worth?

Parque, Howry, Ginter? Too much? Not enough?

Who might be available that would fit that description?

FarWestChicago
02-15-2002, 01:24 AM
:buddylee :versatile :gascan

If we could only find a GM dumb enough... :smile:

doublem23
02-15-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
If we could only find a GM dumb enough... :smile:

Unfortunately, he works for us.

:KW
Duh, I'm the captain of this ship!

FarWestChicago
02-15-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Unfortunately, he works for us.Where's :dumbash when you need him?

Chisox_cali
02-15-2002, 02:00 AM
but what about http://dodgers.mlb.com/la/photo/62x75/evans.jpg ?

duke of dorwood
02-15-2002, 08:54 AM
An everyday player will have to go for a top notch starter.

hold2dibber
02-15-2002, 02:05 PM
I think you'd have to give up a good every day player (Lee, Konerko or Valentin, most likely) plus a good pitching prospect, like Guerrier, Ginter, or Biddle, and maybe another minor leaguer (e.g. Dellearo (sp?)) to get a 200 innings, 18 win-potential kind of starter (unless, maybe, he is old or at the end of his contract).

pearso66
02-15-2002, 03:22 PM
possibly the everyday player could be Royce,
for the pitching prospect, maybe ginter or wright
or possibly parque

and for the minor leaguer, throw in any player that will be down in the minors for his career, or possibly a catcher, since supposedly we have a few that could be good, or give them the seasoned josh paul

cornball
02-15-2002, 05:30 PM
It all depends on who your trading with....we have prospects and everyday players and additional pitchers to trade for another starter and KW will as the spring goes along

NUKE_CLEVELAND
02-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
possibly the everyday player could be Royce,
for the pitching prospect, maybe ginter or wright
or possibly parque

and for the minor leaguer, throw in any player that will be down in the minors for his career, or possibly a catcher, since supposedly we have a few that could be good, or give them the seasoned josh paul

Hell, if we could get rid of Royce for a box of used baseballs I'd be the happiest guy in the world.

Daver
02-15-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Hell, if we could get rid of Royce for a box of used baseballs I'd be the happiest guy in the world.

A box of corndog wrappers even.............anything.

Soxheads
02-15-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

A box of corndog wrappers even.............anything.

I'd pay to get rid of him.

pearso66
02-15-2002, 11:38 PM
man, you guys have so much love for royce.

i wanna see him gone, id give up a minor league player to get rid of royce

voodoochile
02-16-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I'd pay to get rid of him.

They would probably have to. There is almost no way another team is going to take on his whole salary. Figure the price of getting rid of Royce is at least $2 million if you do it from the get go.

What decent everyday player should we consider as expendable? Assuming the Sox would be going for it all this year IF they make this trade, they cannot afford to part with a Lee, Durham or Konerko, which means Rowand might be included - that opens up the 4th OF slot for Simmons. Besides, next year Borchard comes up so at best Rowand is a bench warmer next year.

Howry, Rowand, Ginter? Probably not enough...

RichH55
02-17-2002, 02:07 PM
This all pretty much depends on any number of factors....but as for everyday guys with any type of value(sorry Royce)...>Konerko and Lee would probably head that list.....Frank can play 1B(and Lee can learn), plus Konerko is in the last year of his deal(IIRC)...Lee can be dealt since Rowand is there and LTP is on the horizon...not exactly the best time to deal either guy though...so im not really looking at this as a viable option