PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Crap Talk

Madvora
07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I got two ideas from reading the same Tribune article today.

Point #1 - The Sox are likely to catch up to Detroit because the Sox have the playoff and big game experience that the Tigers don't.
Why this is crap? - That was the exact same reason they gave last year about why the Sox wouldn't do anything in the playoffs. Why would this be any different for Detroit?

Point #2 - A certain scout would have reservations about getting Jason Schmidt (Giants) on the Sox because of him being an NL pitcher in the AL.
Why this is crap? - Well, you also hear the same thing when people talk about trading hitters to another league... "he can't be traded to that league because he's never seen the pitching." So why do they use the same excuse when a hitter or a pitcher changes leagues?

It seems as time goes by, "analysts" or writers or even managers and GMs still don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to baseball. Everyone thinks they can figure out the trends, but after a while everything they say contradicts something else and nothing makes sense anymore.

So.... what other baseball crap talk is out there?

Baby Fisk
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM

Point #1 - The Sox are likely to catch up to Detroit because the Sox have the playoff and big game experience that the Tigers don't.
Why this is crap? - That was the exact same reason they gave last year about why the Sox wouldn't do anything in the playoffs. Why would this be any different for Detroit?

Crap:
"I'm not worried because the Tigers will fade."

It's time to stop believing that the Tigers will fade. For that to happen, Cleveland and Minnesota will have to put the boots to them, and I can't see that happening. The Jndians are demoralized right now because some people were handing them the division this spring, and they have not lived up to the hype. Minnesota cannot be trusted to do the Sox any favours.

The season is half over and the Tigers haven't faded. They won't fade, therefore they must be BEATEN. This division is looking like it will be decided in head-to-head series, Sox vs. Tigers. Neither team is going to fade away, because they can both sense the division title within reach. The Sox's 2005 experience will be helpful, yes, but only in demonstrating that the Sox are capable of winning it all. Hopefully, they can do it again. Thanks and Go Sox!

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM

Point #2 - A certain scout would have reservations about getting Jason Schmidt (Giants) on the Sox because of him being an NL pitcher in the AL.
Why this is crap? - Well, you also hear the same thing when people talk about trading hitters to another league... "he can't be traded to that league because he's never seen the pitching." So why do they use the same excuse when a hitter or a pitcher changes leagues?

It seems as time goes by, "analysts" or writers or even managers and GMs still don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to baseball. Everyone thinks they can figure out the trends, but after a while everything they say contradicts something else and nothing makes sense anymore.

So.... what other baseball crap talk is out there?I'm pretty sure Scout B was referring to the fact that the AL is the much stronger league, and Schmidt's numbers will take a big hit, so to speak.

PKalltheway
07-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I know it's fun to talk crap about the NL, but I hope that if and when the Sox make it to the World Series, I hope they don't look at their NL opponent as some sort of pushover. I don't want to see a devastating upset much like 2003, 1990, etc.

Madvora
07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Scout B was referring to the fact that the AL is the much stronger league, and Schmidt's numbers will take a big hit, so to speak. Aha... now that's a very good point.

Crap - All the lefty/righty matchup stuff and going by the book in all situations involving a lefty or righty hitter or pitcher. This situation was at it's worst at the end of Harold Baines' career. A guy who was that had such a good career really should have hung it up before that last year. It was VERY painful to watch him up there at the plate for the 2001 team and Jerry Manuel would keep putting him up there in lefty/righty situations.
Truth - If you have a better hitter on the bench... use him instead. Don't use a guy who sucks just because he's a lefty or righty.

Crap - When a current bench player shows that he has the ability to hit and is not given a chance to play regularly because he is labeled "not an everyday player. " This drives me crazy. A lot of times a guy has done everything possible to show that he's an "everyday player" but will never be played because of that stupid label.

Sox-o-matic
07-14-2006, 04:53 PM
The Tigers are playing, and have been playing, over their heads all year. Bonderman and Verlander may be good for a long time, but Rogers and Roberts will come back down to Earth. On the other hand, the Sox staff has underperformed, especially in their 3-5 spots, and still are only 2.5 games out of it. The Sox staff, even if they have a second half as poor as their first half, are still going to be right there at the end and probably catch the WildCard. If the rotation begins pitching to its potential then the Sox are going to go ahead of Detriot without ever looking back.

fquaye149
07-14-2006, 05:35 PM
The Tigers are playing, and have been playing, over their heads all year. Bonderman and Verlander may be good for a long time, but Rogers and Roberts will come back down to Earth. On the other hand, the Sox staff has underperformed, especially in their 3-5 spots, and still are only 2.5 games out of it. The Sox staff, even if they have a second half as poor as their first half, are still going to be right there at the end and probably catch the WildCard. If the rotation begins pitching to its potential then the Sox are going to go ahead of Detriot without ever looking back.

yup

sullythered
07-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I just seem to remember an awful lot of people saying the same kind of stuff about us last year. If the Tigers go .500 from here on out, they win 96 games. I think they're gonna be better than .500. It is gonna be a race. I think we could have two 100 win teams in one division.

One thing I'm relatively confident in, though, it that the AL East will finally have to settle for one playoff team.

CallMeNuts
07-15-2006, 09:24 AM
. . . .
. . . .

At his point:
AL = MLB
NL = AAAA