PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans in Orange County....

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey you guys,

I'm gonna be out in Newport Coast for the next 10 days. Where does a guy go to catch the Sox on TV?? I'm willing to travel a ways to go some place where there might be a few southsiders congregating. I was out during football season last year and I was told there is a sports bar in Irvine that has a retractable roof?? Any ideas on that joint? 2 big series coming up that I cannot miss, especially Tuesdays game with the Kitty-Klowns.

I know there are a few of you on here, MarySwiss is planning a trip [with a group of us Arizona folks] over to Anaheim and she has mentioned you.

Anyways, it would be good to sit down with a few displaced Sox fans like myself and partake in a few libations, especially in Angel country.

lumpyspun
07-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I too am travelling to Newport beach area for the next 7 days. I am getting married down there. I would love to sneak away and catch a few Sox games, but I have no idea about the area. I think my fiance might kill me, b/c I'm sure she has my schedule set for me for the next week. However, she is a huge baseball fan so she might understand....

Bump34
07-14-2006, 04:00 PM
I am in Anaheim now and went to ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney and watched some games last night... not sure how far that is from where you are...

ondafarm
07-14-2006, 04:04 PM
I too am travelling to Newport beach area for the next 7 days. I am getting married down there. I would love to sneak away and catch a few Sox games, but I have no idea about the area. I think my fiance might kill me, b/c I'm sure she has my schedule set for me for the next week. However, she is a huge baseball fan so she might understand....

If you watch them in this situation I've got only one word for you . . . cahonjes.

Sox rule.

markopat
07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I was in Anaheim for a year during the weekdays and always went to National Sports Bar on State College Boulevard in Anaheim....Right east of the 5.

Mikey is the bartender up front and a great guy! If the game wasn't on, they'd always find a screen to throw it on for me.

The stadium is about 2 blocks from the Angels park and the bar is insane busy for home games...also, not many drink specials on those days!

Just a heads up for ya...

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-16-2006, 06:39 PM
lumpyspun,

I'm gonna pm you my cell. I'm staying at the Newport Coast Marriott Villas. I hear there is a good sports bar by Fashion Island mall.

I plan on catching the Tuesday game with the Detoilet.

Anaheim is to far from south OC for me. Anyway, hit me up if you can make it.

TheKittle
07-17-2006, 02:29 AM
lumpyspun,

I'm gonna pm you my cell. I'm staying at the Newport Coast Marriott Villas. I hear there is a good sports bar by Fashion Island mall.

I plan on catching the Tuesday game with the Detoilet.

Anaheim is to far from south OC for me. Anyway, hit me up if you can make it.

It's been awhile since I've been to Fashion Island but I don't know of any sports bar down there.

Cheesecake Factory has some TV's but isn't a sports bar.

The sports bar you mentioned in Irvine is called the Fox Sports Grill at the Irvine Spectrum. Decent place, high prices. Parking can be a pain. From where you are it's about 15 miles or so.

http://www.foxsportsgrill.com/irvine/

There is a Yardhouse at the Spectrum too. 250 or so beers on tap.

If you drink too much, call a cab. Too many jerkoff cops with nothing to do in Irvine, Newport Beach area.

I'm exhausted from my trip to Chicago (Thanks for NOTHING WSI Drinking team) but if you set something up, let me know and I'll join you. Well assuming I'm invited. :)

You going to golf at Pelican Hill? That golf course should be right next to where you staying. Also if you like prime rib, The Five Crowns is close by. The best prime rib in OC. Owned by Lawry's. Pricey but well worth it.

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks 4 the info TheKittle. I heard Fox is as you say but it might be my only shot. I did hear there is a sports bar near Fashion Island, not in or at it. It was in a strip mall nearby. I will have more info from the desk guy tomorrow am. Pelican Hill is closed at the moment for construction of the new resort and yes, I am right across the street from there. Check back here for info.

And of course you're invited! Anybody with Kitty in their name is on my invite list!

TheKittle
07-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Thanks 4 the info TheKittle. I heard Fox is as you say but it might be my only shot. I did hear there is a sports bar near Fashion Island, not in or at it. It was in a strip mall nearby. I will have more info from the desk guy tomorrow am. Pelican Hill is closed at the moment for construction of the new resort and yes, I am right across the street from there. Check back here for info.

And of course you're invited! Anybody with Kitty in their name is on my invite list!

At the Irvine Spectrum there is also a Champs Sports Bar. I thought it may have closed due to Fox Sports Grill Opening up but it's still there, at least according to their site.

http://www.champps.com/

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Kittle and Lumpy,

I left both of you PM's. I'm heading to Rudy's in Newport. Met a local guy with a Bears shirt on today and he said that's where they go for football, he said they have all the games on.

Anybody else want in on some of the action, come on down.

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Update from last night at Rudy's. Great place! Watched the game with a Reds/Sox fan from Hyde Park and a table full of Michiganders.

It's on the beach side of the PCH on the corner of Newport Blvd and 32nd st. The place has a retractable roof! Sweet.

There were a bunch of Yankee fans there. They sent me 3 beers for the 3 losses. I was OK with that. As I was leaving I asked if any would like to touch the trophy on my t-shirt but told them it looked as though the World Series was almost certain to be back in New York come October. I then asked where a Sox fan like myself should stay when we played the METS.

To this I got a "Easy Second City" Which I responded, We've got 8 championships since '86 in the 3 real sports, how many you got? And yes you can count the Mets if you want. You guys have a nice evening."

Can't wait to get back there tonight.

Come on down OC guys, love to meet ya.