PDA

View Full Version : 5th Starter: Guerrier?

doctor30th
02-14-2002, 08:29 PM
Manuel was on ESPN last friday, and he said that there are now 9 starters going into spring. I like Matt Guerrier, I think I'm picking him as my sleeper to get the fifth spot in the rotation, like Buehrle did last year.

Who do you think will get the 5th spot? I think it will be between these guys.

Glover
Biddle
Wright
Barcelo
Guerrier

And I'm picking Guerrier.

This list is based on the fact that they have said that Buehrle, Ritchie, Parque, and Garland will be 1-4 (even though I'm sure there is also competition for the 3rd and 4th spot too).

Daver
02-14-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Manuel was on ESPN last friday, and he said that there are now 9 starters going into spring. I like Matt Guerrier, I think I'm picking him as my sleeper to get the fifth spot in the rotation, like Buehrle did last year.

Who do you think will get the 5th spot? I think it will be between these guys.

Glover
Biddle
Wright
Barcelo
Guerrier

And I'm picking Guerrier.

This list is based on the fact that they have said that Buehrle, Ritchie, Parque, and Garland will be 1-4 (even though I'm sure there is also competition for the 3rd and 4th spot too).

Barcelo being mentioned as a possible starter is a mere courtesy in the media to help Lorenzo's ego,he is not a starter by any stretch,he has yet to prove he can pitch more than three innings at a stretch with his wounded arm.Out of that list I would take the best pure pitcher,and that would be Rocky.No he doesn't have overwhelming stuff,no he is not a pure control pitcher,but he does have what I consider to be the best fastball out of all the Sox pitchers,and he has the attitude and mound prescence to be a winning pitcher.Rich Gossage said it all in a radio interveiw when asked about pitching,"Give me a guy that shows no fear on mound,that is willing to go after the hitter no matter what the circumstances are,and I'll show you a winning pitcher."

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

OfficerKarkovice
02-14-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
Rich Gossage said it all in a radio interveiw when asked about pitching,"Give me a guy that shows no fear on mound,that is willing to go after the hitter no matter what the circumstances are,and I'll show you a winning pitcher."
:rocked
"You rang?"

Pete_SSAC
02-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

:rocked
"You rang?"

I gotta admit, that Rocky gained more respect from me last season than Buehrle did (and that's not a knock against Buehrle). I like most of you if I remeber correctly, had no idea why in the hell that Rocky was with the team after ST ended. He's a great pitcher (while he's healthy) and has a lot of guts.

I don't like the idea of Guerrier being the starter just because I don't like putting that much stock on a kid that's just coming up. I personally beileve that a pitcher should be slowly weened into the starting rotation via the bullpen (pitch an inning, if they do well, give them more until they are in long reilef/spot starting).

But, what do I- *hit by Daver's arrow*

- Pete

Vsahajpal
02-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Earlier I said Guerrier makes the team out of spring camp, I'm sticking to my guns. Get rid of Parque

Chisox_cali
02-14-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Earlier I said Guerrier makes the team out of spring camp, I'm sticking to my guns. Get rid of Parque

http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photo/ph_play_mugshot_407825.jpg
"I am the freakin MAN!"

voodoochile
02-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

I gotta admit, that Rocky gained more respect from me last season than Buehrle did (and that's not a knock against Buehrle). I like most of you if I remeber correctly, had no idea why in the hell that Rocky was with the team after ST ended. He's a great pitcher (while he's healthy) and has a lot of guts.

I don't like the idea of Guerrier being the starter just because I don't like putting that much stock on a kid that's just coming up. I personally beileve that a pitcher should be slowly weened into the starting rotation via the bullpen (pitch an inning, if they do well, give them more until they are in long reilef/spot starting).

But, what do I- *hit by Daver's arrow*

- Pete

I would bet that most of the young pitchers are going to get a chance to pitch in relief before they are handed a starters role. The relative success they have had with Garland and Wells would lead me to believe that most of these young guns will see at least some time in the pen.

kermittheefrog
02-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I would bet that most of the young pitchers are going to get a chance to pitch in relief before they are handed a starters role. The relative success they have had with Garland and Wells would lead me to believe that most of these young guns will see at least some time in the pen.

If you ask me they should break all young pitchers in through the pen.

voodoochile
02-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

If you ask me they should break all young pitchers in through the pen.

Sounds good to me...

I think Guerrier is going to be hard pressed to make the squad out of ST. All of the other guys have more experience than him.

Still I hold out hope that KW will make one more big trade landing the Sox a genuine top 3 pitcher and giving them a chance to make a run at the pennant this year...

:)

Pete_SSAC
02-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yeah, and if you noticed that when the brought up Kip and Jon last season, they had problems until they put them in the pen, and everything was gravy afterward.

- Pete

Vsahajpal
02-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Warrior!

That's what "Guerrier" means in french. How freaking a propos!

I knew my minor in french here at UM would come in handy.

Maybe we can adopt Warrior and throw it in the dictionary (not to overstep my pedestrian boundaries or anything...)

just a thought

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
02-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Maybe we can adopt Warrior and throw it in the dictionary (not to overstep my pedestrian boundaries or anything...)Geez, you give a guy an inch (LTP) and he'll try to take a mile. :D:

Vsahajpal
02-15-2002, 12:27 AM
lol.

:LTP
"Warrior? I like it!"

Chisox_cali
02-15-2002, 01:05 AM
Warrior!

That's what "Guerrier" means in french. How freaking a propos!

I knew my minor in french here at UM would come in handy.

Maybe we can adopt Warrior and throw it in the dictionary (not to overstep my pedestrian boundaries or anything...)

just a thought

So is his last name pronouced (phoenetically)"Gary-Air"*in snudy French accent* Or the American way "Grrrr-e-er"

Chisox_cali
02-15-2002, 01:12 AM
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/photo/2001_offseason/you_dont_know_him/guerrier_288_235.jpg
"GRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Vsahajpal
02-15-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

So is his last name pronouced (phoenetically)"Gary-Air"*in snudy French accent* Or the American way "Grrrr-e-er"

The french pronunciation was close enough, but over here its pronounced "Gurr-rare"

I thought it was Guh-ree-ur, but I was corrected.

FarWestChicago
02-15-2002, 02:20 AM

The french pronunciation was close enough, but over here its pronounced "Gurr-rare"
That's pretty close to "Grrrrrrrrrrr". :smile:

BlackSox
02-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Is Rocky Biddle going to be ready to go come April 1st? Is he even throwing yet?

He had his surgery much later than the other guys (Osuna, Barcelo, Parque), and I haven't heard any reports on Rocky's progress.

Randar68
02-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Personally, I don't think Parque is going to be completely ready by the start of the season, and the Sox will use it as an excuse to get a look at some of the young guys early and see what they can do. I would not be surprised if 2 of Glover, Guerrier, Biddle(if 100%) were your 4th and 5th starters, with Rauch as the outside sleeper, in my book....(although the organization doesn't seem to want to rush him, he has unquestionable ability when healthy)

cheeses_h_rice
02-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Help me out here, but didn't Guerrier make exactly 0 appearances on the Sox squad last year? How does that translate into a starting role this year?

RedPinStripes
02-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Help me out here, but didn't Guerrier make exactly 0 appearances on the Sox squad last year? How does that translate into a starting role this year?

Good point.

CerberusWG
02-15-2002, 11:31 AM
He posted an ERA of 3 in Charlotte's stadium which is quite small.

Also had a 118/50 K/BB ratio.

Meatpants
02-15-2002, 11:39 AM
I'd go w/ Danny Wright, though I'm not high on him.

Guerrier - too young
Biddle - still recovering
Barcelo - no way
Glover - may be started out in the swingman/Sean Lowe role

Randar68
02-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Meatpants
I'd go w/ Danny Wright, though I'm not high on him.

Guerrier - too young
Biddle - still recovering
Barcelo - no way
Glover - may be started out in the swingman/Sean Lowe role

*****! Guerrier is older than Garland, but he's our # 3, and Guerrier is too young?

Meatpants
02-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

*****! Guerrier is older than Garland, but he's our # 3, and Guerrier is too young?

Forgive me, I was referring to lack of big-league experience, not age.

It's their pattern to start pitchers slowly in the bullpen, so as stated above, it's unlikely they'd give someone w/ zero innings last year a starter's job.

voodoochile
02-15-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Meatpants

Forgive me, I was referring to lack of big-league experience, not age.

It's their pattern to start pitchers slowly in the bullpen, so as stated above, it's unlikely they'd give someone w/ zero innings last year a starter's job.

I agree, it would take one amazing ST along with several other pitchers either falling on their asses or being physically unready to pitch for Guerrier to get a job as a starter.

What's this kids makeup? What does he throw?

Pete_SSAC
02-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by BlackSox
Is Rocky Biddle going to be ready to go come April 1st? Is he even throwing yet?

He had his surgery much later than the other guys (Osuna, Barcelo, Parque), and I haven't heard any reports on Rocky's progress.

From when I remember when Biddle had his surgery, it was nothing like Ousna, Parque, and Barcelo. It was small and I think I heard that it doesn't take long to recover, and he should be long ready to go by now.

- Pete

cheeses_h_rice
02-15-2002, 12:57 PM
I just read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that Biddle would not be 100% by April 1, so not to plan on him being in the starting 5 rotation.

Pete_SSAC
02-15-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I just read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where) that Biddle would not be 100% by April 1, so not to plan on him being in the starting 5 rotation.

Ahhh... ok, so look at it as being a fight between Glover and Wright over that #5 spot, the loser taking Lowe's spot. (And possibly filling in for Parque that first month)

One day...

- Pete