PDA

View Full Version : I stopped shopping at Trader Joe's.......

White Sox Randy
07-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I went there yesteday with my wife and as I was walking in I saw people leaving holding brown bags that underneath the Trader Joe's logo it said:

"Proud sponser of the Chicago Cubs "and had a big cub logo underneath it.

So, I wanted to leave then but after we had driven a good distance to get there, my wife (who loves the Sox but loves nutrition more) wanted to stay.

So, we get to the checkout and the girl starts to pull out those bags and I asked for different ones. She said that those were the only bags they have. I asked for no bags but my wife didn't like that idea. I threw the bags in the garbage the second I got home.

From now on, it's Whole Foods or someplace else for me.

I just thought I'd pass on the information. I think Trader Joe's is only in the North suburbs anyway but I could be wrong.

itsnotrequired
07-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Not shopping at a store becuase they are a Cub sponser?

:rolleyes:

hi im skot
07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
This just seems really silly.

My love for food is much stronger than any negative feeling for the Cubs.

Trader Joe's sponsoring the Cubs? My good friend Gary Coleman says:
:whocares

daveeym
07-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Not shopping at a store becuase they are a Cub sponser?

:rolleyes:I'm not giving up my 3 buck chuck.

Chip Z'nuff
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I am not shopping at Cub foods until they rename it Sox Foods

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I went there yesteday with my wife and as I was walking in I saw people leaving holding brown bags that underneath the Trader Joe's logo it said:

So, I wanted to leave then but after we had driven a good distance to get there, my wife (who loves the Sox but loves nutrition more) wanted to stay.

So, we get to the checkout and the girl starts to pull out those bags and I asked for different ones. She said that those were the only bags they have. I asked for no bags but my wife didn't like that idea. I threw the bags in the garbage the second I got home.

I just thought I'd pass on the information. I think Trader Joe's is only in the North suburbs anyway but I could be wrong.

WOW! Do you realize how pety your sound? I cant believe that you would stop shopping at a place because they are sponsors of the Cubs. Who cares. Does your life really revolve around a team you hate so much that you would go out of your way to not shop somewhere or not buy a product because the Cubs may have them as their sponsors.

I should probably quit my job since Bank of America is proud sponsors of the Chicago Cubs and all of MLB. I should probably not drink Bud Light either since they sell it at the park. But I should bank with LaSalle Bank since they are sponsors of the White Sox. While I am at it I think I will write a letter to the CEO of BOFA and tell him he should be a proud sponsor of the Sox before he loses customers and employees. Oh you should also watch CTA bus stops since there are some Cubs advertisements on there.

Tom~Attitude
07-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I shop at TJ's every week and am amused by the stupid bags. I have two solutions that work for me. There are plenty of empty wine boxes to use for packing up your stuff. Use them! In the event that they are out of boxes, I carry a Sharpie for the purpose of drawing a diagonal line through the offending emblem. Most clerks will be happy to do this for you if you politely mention your disgust before hand.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Again I say who cares. If they sponsor the Cubs they sponsor the Cubs.

Jerko
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Hangar is that you?

itsnotrequired
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
In the event that they are out of boxes, I carry a Sharpie for the purpose of drawing a diagonal line through the offending emblem. Most clerks will be happy to do this for you if you politely mention your disgust before hand.

Clerks really do this? If I was working there and someone asked me to do this, I would tell them to get flogged.

Hawkeroo1980
07-13-2006, 09:43 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA :D:

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Clerks really do this? If I was working there and someone asked me to do this, I would tell them to get flogged.

Seriously. I dont see why a bag that has a Cubs logo is really that disturbing esp since they sponsor the damn team and it baseball season. Besides you throw the bags away anyways it isnt like you are buying a keep sake item.

Uncle_Patrick
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
This is nothing. I remember last year someone asking if Sox fans should boycott "24" because of Tony Almeda's Cubs cup.

Jerko
07-13-2006, 09:47 AM
My buddy used to have the bartender take the Cubs label off off the beers he ordered.

soxfan13
07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Thats it I am done drinking Bud. At least that will stop me from getting yelled at by Sox fans that call me a bandwagoner because I am drinking Bud while tailgating

Tom~Attitude
07-13-2006, 09:52 AM

Most of the TJ clerks are just normal people with a sense of humor. If you keep your attitude light and friendly they will get the joke. Stupid stuff like that helps break up the monotony of the workday and gives them a story to tell about the "goofy Sox Fan customer" when they get home. Just have fun with it!

cheeses_h_rice
07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I've decided to move out of Chicago until there's no longer a Chicago Cubs team, too.

:rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I have to agree with most of the posters here in saying you're going overboard with the anti-Cubs thing. Throw the bags in the garbage when you get home if it's such a major deal.

TornLabrum
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I have to agree with most of the posters here in saying you're going overboard with the anti-Cubs thing. Throw the bags in the garbage when you get home if it's such a major deal.

Great idea.

"How is my Trader Joe's bag like the Chicago Cubs?"

"They're both garbage."

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I actually just called my lanlord and told him i was going to sublease my apt because it was on the northside and to close to wrigley.

Deuce
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
I think Trader Joe's is only in the North suburbs anyway but I could be wrong.There is a Trader Joe's in Orland Park as well.

jdm2662
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
The Vice President of IT at my work is a huge Cub fan and has many Cub items in his office.

That's it!!!! I quit.

slavko
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
A lot of those bags are going to wind up on people's heads in the stands at the Shrine this summer.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:11 AM
There is a Trader Joe's in Orland Park as well.

Also one on the northside...I think on Clybourn. Anyone up for going to stand outside and protest?

kobo
07-13-2006, 10:12 AM
This thread is hilarious.

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Apparently their pride at sponsoring the Cubs stops at the Illinois border. The bags out here are just plain ol' Trader Joe's bags.

And I'm sorry, but nothing would keep me from shopping at Trader Joe's.

DaleJRFan
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Cubs fans don't complain about all the Budweiser signage at Wrigley - considering "Busch Stadium" and the Bud ties in St Louis....

wilburaga
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes, I live on the east coast and I don't see any logos on the TJ bags. Anyway, I keep those bags for used kitty litter, which seems fitting.

W

kobo
07-13-2006, 10:30 AM
And I'm sorry, but nothing would keep me from shopping at Trader Joe's.
I'll second that. I could care less about corporate sponsorship. If I cared, then I would boycott Sox games since Chevy is a sponsor and I drive a Mustang.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:32 AM
I'll second that. I could care less about corporate sponsorship. If I cared, then I would boycott Sox games since Chevy is a sponsor and I drive a Mustang.

i think i may boycott chevy though just cuz of the pride crew

cbrownson13
07-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Thats it I am done drinking Bud. At least that will stop me from getting yelled at by Sox fans that call me a bandwagoner because I am drinking Bud while tailgating

People do that? That's rediculous! I can't believe someone would associate a person as being a Cubs fan or a bandwagon Sox fan because of the beer they drink.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
People do that? That's rediculous! I can't believe someone would associate a person as being a Cubs fan or a bandwagon Sox fan because of the beer they drink.

skotty chips and pdimas best stop drinking Bud then SELL OUTS!

White Sox Randy
07-13-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm not telling anyone what to do. But, I have NO PROBLEM shopping elsewhere.

Yes, I hate the flubs that much. I miss Hangar.:tongue:

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not telling anyone what to do. But, I have NO PROBLEM shopping elsewhere.

Yes, I hate the flubs that much. I miss Hangar.:tongue:

apparently a match made in wrigley heaven

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 10:52 AM

HA! Beat several of us to it, I see . . .

I know I should quit shopping at Cub, but the local Jewel has Cubs stuff displayed a little too prominently for my taste (probably because it doesn't appear to be selling--unless they want to promote their rival down the street?!?-- but why spoil a rant with logic?) . . .

Trader Joe's is also in Downers Grove (and I've got other issues with Whole Foods that I'm not going to discuss here that keep me from there . . .) . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
HA! Beat several of us to it, I see . . .

I know I should quit shopping at Cub, but the local Jewel has Cubs stuff displayed a little too prominently for my taste (probably because it doesn't appear to be selling--unless they want to promote their rival down the street?!?-- but why spoil a rant with logic?) . . .

Trader Joe's is also in Downers Grove (and I've got other issues with Whole Foods that I'm not going to discuss here that keep me from there . . .) . . .

whole pay check! That is my problem with whole foods

daveeym
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
My only problem with Trader Joe's is it makes alot of women raving lunatics. It's all they can freaking talk about.

Steelrod
07-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm not giving up my 3 buck chuck.
USTA BE 2 BUCK CHUCK BEFORE THEY SPONSORED!

spiffie
07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I see nothing wrong with Randy's position. The company made the conscious decision to support the Cubs. That money goes into the Cubs coffers and gives them more money to use. Whole Foods is not doing this because they love the Cubs and just like giving away money. They do it with the expectation that supporting the beloved Cubs will make them a more desireable shopping destination. As a consumer, you can either go there and thus support this idea, or not go there, and this is the key part, let them know why you're not shopping there. Yes, one Sox fan saying it will go into the crank file. 50 Sox fans would make some junior marketing exec. make a note somewhere about something to look into. 500 Sox fans would make that exec send an email to someone higher up. 5,000 Sox fans would make that senior exec read that email. 50,000 Sox fans would make that senior exec. ask why his company is spending money that is serving to alienate a large part of their possible consumer base.

Part of living in a capitalist society that depends so strongly on branding and corporate identity is the understanding that every purchase carries with it a tacit acceptance of the provider and their policies. Is this a major issue to get all stressed out about? Probably not. I don't shop there anyhow so it's no big deal to me. But I would say it is the little fights that we chose not to engage in over the last 20 or so years that helped make our team be considered the "second team" in town for a long time.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I see nothing wrong with Randy's position. The company made the conscious decision to support the Cubs. That money goes into the Cubs coffers and gives them more money to use. Whole Foods is not doing this because they love the Cubs and just like giving away money. They do it with the expectation that supporting the beloved Cubs will make them a more desireable shopping destination. As a consumer, you can either go there and thus support this idea, or not go there, and this is the key part, let them know why you're not shopping there. Yes, one Sox fan saying it will go into the crank file. 50 Sox fans would make some junior marketing exec. make a note somewhere about something to look into. 500 Sox fans would make that exec send an email to someone higher up. 5,000 Sox fans would make that senior exec read that email. 50,000 Sox fans would make that senior exec. ask why his company is spending money that is serving to alienate a large part of their possible consumer base.

Part of living in a capitalist society that depends so strongly on branding and corporate identity is the understanding that every purchase carries with it a tacit acceptance of the provider and their policies. Is this a major issue to get all stressed out about? Probably not. I don't shop there anyhow so it's no big deal to me. But I would say it is the little fights that we chose not to engage in over the last 20 or so years that helped make our team be considered the "second team" in town for a long time.

Would a better approach be to get them to sponsor the Sox as well? Somehow--I may be wrong--I think even 50K Sox fans bitching about a sponsorship of the Cubs are still going to the crank file (albeit a bulging one . . . ) . . .

RichFitztightly
07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I saw these bags a couple of weeks ago and almost posted a teal thread with these same comments. The key word is teal. I decided against it thinking it would be funnier when some chucklehead posted it for real. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:19 AM

ya great. however do you know HOW MANY things I and people in general would stop doing or using because someone may be behind something or the money goes somewhere else that we dont like. I wouldnt go buy a Chevy cuz they sponsor the Sox. I dont like Chevy. I am going to drink BUD light because I like the beer and could careless if the sponsor the Cubs and named their stupid bleachers the "Bud Light". I am going to continue banking with my company which is like I said Proud sponsors of the Cubs. Are you going to stop drinking coke or pepsi because they sell it at the park? Stop wearing Nike because they sell Cubs shirts or hats? Stop eating popcorn too because they sell it at the park and i am sure orville is banking off of that.

It is very pety. One day some Sox fans will stop caring so much about a team they hate.

PatK
07-13-2006, 11:20 AM
whole pay check! That is my problem with whole foods

My problem is the pretentiousness and hypocrisy of both the shoppers and workers.

I love the grief I get from both when I wan't bacon with preservatives rather than "organic" and they tell me I'm eating bacon with explosives in it (nitrates).

Meanwhile, all their organic vegetables carry more nitrates, and they leave yhe store in their environmentally un-friendly, gas-guzzling SUVs.

And by the way, the only way I'd stop going to Trader Joe's is if the Cubs actually bought them.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I think Trader Joe's is only in the North suburbs anyway but I could be wrong.

There are a few in the city. I usually bring my own canvas bag anyway.
Cubs sponsor or not, I love the place. It has good stuff and it is very reasonably priced. Much, much cheaper than Whole Paycheck.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Would a better approach be to get them to sponsor the Sox as well? Somehow--I may be wrong--I think even 50K Sox fans bitching about a sponsorship of the Cubs are still going to the crank file (albeit a bulging one . . . ) . . .

ya because it is stupid that 50K Sox fans would care that much about a ****ing grocery bag that you are going to throw away when you get home. It is very stupid to stop shopping there over a bag.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:23 AM
My problem is the pretentiousness and hypocrisy of both the shoppers and workers.

I love the grief I get from both when I wan't bacon with preservatives rather than "organic" and they tell me I'm eating bacon with explosives in it (nitrates).

Meanwhile, all their organic vegetables carry more nitrates, and they leave yhe store in their environmentally un-friendly, gas-guzzling SUVs.

And by the way, the only way I'd stop going to Trader Joe's is if the Cubs actually bought them.

And Dusty was the manager getting on the intercom saying clean up in aisle 2.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
ya because it is stupid that 50K Sox fans would care that much about a ****ing grocery bag that you are going to throw away when you get home. It is very stupid to stop shopping there over a bag.

Yep. And, to be honest, I'd rather Trader Joe's didn't sponsor the Cubs or the Sox or anybody else--I'd rather not pay additional marketing costs for them! But, yeah, and alas, I've got plenty other things in my life to upset me . . .

bryPt
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I bring my own bags to Trader Joes. The T Joes in Glen Ellyn have a few Sox fans that are ashamed with the bags.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
It really does baffle me, how people let that crappy team disturb them so much. I hate that team believe me but they dont control where I shop, where I eat, where I drink, or where I live. I live happily on the northside 7 blocks from the stadium. Sure it dont give me warm fuzzies to see the Wrigley Field fans walking home from the games what does give me warm fuzzies and makes me smile is coming home from the train every day and turning the corner and looking at my apartment window and seeing the HUGE WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS flag hanging in my window.

spiffie
07-13-2006, 11:35 AM
ya great. however do you know HOW MANY things I and people in general would stop doing or using because someone may be behind something or the money goes somewhere else that we dont like. I wouldnt go buy a Chevy cuz they sponsor the Sox. I dont like Chevy. I am going to drink BUD light because I like the beer and could careless if the sponsor the Cubs and named their stupid bleachers the "Bud Light". I am going to continue banking with my company which is like I said Proud sponsors of the Cubs. Are you going to stop drinking coke or pepsi because they sell it at the park? Stop wearing Nike because they sell Cubs shirts or hats? Stop eating popcorn too because they sell it at the park and i am sure orville is banking off of that.

It is very pety. One day some Sox fans will stop caring so much about a team they hate.
Yup, I am quite aware. And that's what companies that do sponsorships count on, is that they will get all the positive benefits of attaching their brand to a product without any of the negative fallout of consumers rebelling against their brand.

The only influence most of us can exert in this world is through our consumption. To make those choices in a considered manner is hardly petty. Every time a sponsor chooses to advertise with the Cubs instead of the White Sox that is money that could go towards this team. That's money that could go into payroll for upgrading the bullpen, or getting a 4th OF. This isn't about hating the Cubs. It is about the fact that in this city companies have the ability to choose to advertise their wares with one or both teams in this city. Every time they choose to go with the Cubs instead of the Sox it is a statement to the fans of the White Sox that this company does not feel you are desireable as consumers or worth spending their ad money on.

These companies know that most people are too lazy or unconcerned or attached to the brand to pay any real attention to such things. So things will go on as they are. If shopping at Trader Joe's means that much to you, go for it. But do it knowing that it is an implied endorsement of their sponsorship of the Cubs (and of anything else they sponsor).

spiffie
07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Not even close. And yes, sponsoring the Sox would be a fine idea. But seriously, if you think a business like Trader Joe's would not be rattled by such a thing, I believe you are incorrect. Maybe if you're dealing with a full-on multinational you could say that. But this is not such an entity.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Yup, I am quite aware. And that's what companies that do sponsorships count on, is that they will get all the positive benefits of attaching their brand to a product without any of the negative fallout of consumers rebelling against their brand.

The only influence most of us can exert in this world is through our consumption. To make those choices in a considered manner is hardly petty. Every time a sponsor chooses to advertise with the Cubs instead of the White Sox that is money that could go towards this team. That's money that could go into payroll for upgrading the bullpen, or getting a 4th OF. This isn't about hating the Cubs. It is about the fact that in this city companies have the ability to choose to advertise their wares with one or both teams in this city. Every time they choose to go with the Cubs instead of the Sox it is a statement to the fans of the White Sox that this company does not feel you are desireable as consumers or worth spending their ad money on.

These companies know that most people are too lazy or unconcerned or attached to the brand to pay any real attention to such things. So things will go on as they are. If shopping at Trader Joe's means that much to you, go for it. But do it knowing that it is an implied endorsement of their sponsorship of the Cubs (and of anything else they sponsor).

I actually have never shopped there before. I think I may go today and stock up though just because I care that little about the whole Cubs love fests in Chicago

Chip Z'nuff
07-13-2006, 11:40 AM
It makes sense, a national brand, upscale grocery store fits in perfect with the cubs fan base.

Now if County Fair or Calabria Imports were to sponsor the cubs then we'd see some boycotts.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Just curious - why would Trader Joes advertise with the SOX if there arent any Trader Joes on the SouthSide?
You're thinking way too much about this. It doesnt say the company feels we aren't desirable, it just feels the Cubs are more desirable for people to see their product. So what? Big deal.

pdr
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Please don't throw the bags in the garbage, they are recyclable. They can come back in another life as something better.

ewokpelts
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
WOW! Do you realize how pety your sound? I cant believe that you would stop shopping at a place because they are sponsors of the Cubs. Who cares. Does your life really revolve around a team you hate so much that you would go out of your way to not shop somewhere or not buy a product because the Cubs may have them as their sponsors.

I should probably quit my job since Bank of America is proud sponsors of the Chicago Cubs and all of MLB. I should probably not drink Bud Light either since they sell it at the park. But I should bank with LaSalle Bank since they are sponsors of the White Sox. While I am at it I think I will write a letter to the CEO of BOFA and tell him he should be a proud sponsor of the Sox before he loses customers and employees. Oh you should also watch CTA bus stops since there are some Cubs advertisements on there.

Lasalle Bank may be the official bank of the sox, but they also are a major sponsor of the Cubs.
Does that cancel it out?

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM

If somebody chooses not to shop at Trader Joe's because they're sponsoring the Cubs--not because they don't sponsor the Sox as well, but because they sponsor the Cubs, which was the original complaint--then I think it is about hating the Cubs.

Beyond that, yeah, for better or worse, I am too unconcerned about this to do anything about it (although I would sympathize with those who take the time to ask TJ's to sponsor the Sox as well). I watch baseball in general, and the Sox in particular, to be entertained. When I start worrying about whether TJ's has Cub bags, then, for me at least, it's gone beyond the point of entertainment to something less healthy . . .

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
It makes sense, a national brand, upscale grocery store fits in perfect with the cubs fan base.

Now if County Fair or Calabria Imports were to sponsor the cubs then we'd see some boycotts.

I wish there was a Calabria on the NorthSide.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Not even close. And yes, sponsoring the Sox would be a fine idea. But seriously, if you think a business like Trader Joe's would not be rattled by such a thing, I believe you are incorrect. Maybe if you're dealing with a full-on multinational you could say that. But this is not such an entity.

You may be right--50K probably would be too large a number to ignore. But if worrying about such stuff is what it takes to be a good Sox fan, then it may be time for me to find a new pastime . . .

Chip Z'nuff
07-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I wish there was a Calabria on the NorthSide.
I wish they were back in Blue Island :( They can't sell wine in Beverly.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
It doesnt say the company feels we aren't desirable, it just feels the Cubs are more desirable for people to see their product. So what? Big deal.

I've always thought Trader Joe's the perfect store for underpaid intellectuals--or, perhaps better put, intellectuals who think they're underpaid. Something about that says "Cub fan" to me:tongue: . . .

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I wish they were back in Blue Island :( They can't sell wine in Beverly.

Wow. Didnt know that. I've never been in the Beverly store. Is there one on 115th Pulaski now too? I was playing in a tournament over there and could of swore I saw one.

spiffie
07-13-2006, 11:52 AM
You may be right--50K probably would be too large a number to ignore. But if worrying about such stuff is what it takes to be a good Sox fan, then it may be time for me to find a new pastime . . .
Like I said, I am aware of what a small issue this is. I'll gladly note I have not in any way taken the time to write a letter. The problem is, and I'll not say much so as to try and keep this from moving to a dark place of the board, these sorts of situations happen all the time, and on issues of greater import than a trivial game of men playing a children's game for millions and millions of dollars. So the issue is one that sticks in my craw somewhat.

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I actually have never shopped there before. I think I may go today and stock up though just because I care that little about the whole Cubs love fests in Chicago

Beware, Jenn! If the Trader Joe's out there is anything like the ones here, you will be hooked! High quality, low prices, lots of organics and unusual items. Also, it's one of the few places I know of where it's possible to buy food items for one or two people instead of nine or ten.

Recommended: filet mignon, frozen creme brulee, frozen French onion soup. Not to mention 3 Buck Chuck (that's short for Charles Shaw, a fairly decent wine that goes for $2.99 a bottle).

And when I was in there last week, they were selling a 15-pack of Guinness Draught for $9.99. Now that is just plain silly! :D:

The Dude
07-13-2006, 11:53 AM
I also decided to quit my job at Walgreens Pharmacy because they are the official Pharmacy of the Chicago Cubs and they also have "Believe" bracelets and schedules at every register.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

monkeypants
07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Whole paycheck! That is my problem with Whole Foods
As a former employe of Whole Foods, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a problem with this company.

daveeym
07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I've always thought Trader Joe's the perfect store for underpaid intellectuals--or, perhaps better put, intellectuals who think they're underpaid. Something about that says "Cub fan" to me:tongue: . . . Trader Joes is for unemployed baristas.:cool:

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Lasalle Bank may be the official bank of the sox, but they also are a major sponsor of the Cubs.
Does that cancel it out?

DAMN IT! You got me there. We should probably ask Big Jer to take the sign down in right field since they sponsor the Cubs too. My life has been taken over by the Cubs. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
As a former employe of Whole Foods, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a problem with this company.

I went there for beer one day (closest store to my friends apartment) and A was shocked they had beer and B wasnt shocked when they told me the price for the beer. It was a good 5 bucks more then a normal store. They then asked me if I would sign over my first born before I left.

Beer Can Chicken
Beware, Jenn! If the Trader Joe's out there is anything like the ones here, you will be hooked! High quality, low prices, lots of organics and unusual items. Also, it's one of the few places I know of where it's possible to buy food items for one or two people instead of nine or ten.

Recommended: filet mignon, frozen creme brulee, frozen French onion soup. Not to mention 3 Buck Chuck (that's short for Charles Shaw, a fairly decent wine that goes for $2.99 a bottle).

And when I was in there last week, they were selling a 15-pack of Guinness Draught for $9.99. Now that is just plain silly! :D:

IMO - this is the best thing about Trader Joes.

Chip Z'nuff
Wow. Didnt know that. I've never been in the Beverly store. Is there one on 115th Pulaski now too? I was playing in a tournament over there and could of swore I saw one.

I think the 115th & pulaski is just a deli with take out, no grocery items not sure though. The Beverly Store is nicer than the old location with chairs for takeout and it fits in well with the other 103rd st shops just no alcohol. Now I got myself in the mood for a freddy with motz!

bludupree
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
You don't need to be obsessed with the Cubs to hate them. Why does everyone forget that? What is wrong with hating the Cubs? We should hate the Cubs.

Obviously people arguing the point about not shopping at the store because of the Cubs sponsorship can take it to an extreme and suggest we run our lives based on the Cubs, but there is such a thing as choosing your battles. There is a very simple alternative to shopping at Trader Joe's. If it is a toss up for you between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods why not choose the one that isn't pumping money into their organization? I don't think that is petty or obsessive. I think that is common sense.

Oh that's right, it is WSI culture to never talk about the Cubs so we must all fall in line and claim that you are an idiot and obsessive if you ever pay any attention to that team.

The Dude
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM

Hey wait a minute.....Flubsessed......Dump, is this your second screen name???:redneck

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 11:59 AM

I have been told that from a few of my friends that are LOYAL shoppers. I should probably make sure that is still the case due to the bags. It is hard for me to get there without a car and it not being close to the train or a convient bus to use. But next time my mom is up by me we will def go there. Since I live alone I throw alot of food away because it goes bad quicker then I can eat it. I also do like organic fruit but it is a bit pricy in most grocery stores, however sometimes you can get a good deal on Peapod.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I also decided to quit my job at Walgreens Pharmacy because they are the official Pharmacy of the Chicago Cubs and they also have "Believe" bracelets and schedules at every register.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fool! We need you undermining them from within . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
You don't need to be obsessed with the Cubs to hate them. Why does everyone forget that? What is wrong with hating the Cubs? We should hate the Cubs.

Obviously people arguing the point about not shopping at the store because of the Cubs sponsorship can take it to an extreme and suggest we run our lives based on the Cubs, but there is such a thing as choosing your battles. There is a very simple alternative to shopping at Trader Joe's. If it is a toss up for you between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods why not choose the one that isn't pumping money into their organization? I don't think that is petty or obsessive. I think that is common sense.

Oh that's right, it is WSI culture to never talk about the Cubs so we must all fall in line and claim that you are an idiot and obsessive if you ever pay any attention to that team.

"If it is a toss up for you between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods why not choose the one that isn't pumping money into their organization? I don't think that is petty or obsessive. I think that is common sense."

It is also common sense to not not spend the ridiculous prices on a piece of meat that could barely feed one.

Sure it is ok to hate them I dont think anyone is saying it is not. But to go out of your way to avoid something that has to do with them is a bit off the charts. Is it ok to point at someone in an airport who has a Cubs shirt on and say Hey look at that bandwagon fan wearing that Cubs shirt. While the Cubs fan comments back and the Sox fan says Hey we won a world series. I dont think not one of us liked/likes being called banwagon Sox fans cuz of the WS.

Should the Cubs fans boycott the Brownline and the occasional Red line that have the whole side of at least 4 cars that say WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
I think the 115th & pulaski is just a deli with take out, no grocery items not sure though. The Beverly Store is nicer than the old location with chairs for takeout and it fits in well with the other 103rd st shops just no alcohol. Now I got myself in the mood for a freddy with motz!

A Freddy. Man! In my 6 years on Northside living, I dont think I have ever seen a Freddy listed on ANY menu. Northside has better finer dining options but the Southside completely dominates the beef/hot dog stand/pizza place category.

bludupree
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
"It is also common sense to not not spend the ridiculous prices on a piece of meat that could barely feed one. "

That's why I said IF it is a toss up. I don't know the price comparison's between the stores.

"Hey look at that bandwagon fan wearing that Cubs shirt. While the Cubs fan comments back and the Sox fan says Hey we won a world series. I dont think not one of us liked/likes being called banwagon Sox fans cuz of the WS."

What does this have to do with anything? I said you can choose what to buy and where to shop, not pick fights in an airport an criticize people.

"Should the Cubs fans boycott the Brownline and the occasional Red line that have the whole side of at least 4 cars that say WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES"

That doesn't sound like something that would have a "toss up" alternative so the answer is obviously no.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:14 PM
"If it is a toss up for you between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods why not choose the one that isn't pumping money into their organization? I don't think that is petty or obsessive. I think that is common sense."

It is also common sense to not not spend the ridiculous prices on a piece of meat that could barely feed one.

Sure it is ok to hate them I dont think anyone is saying it is not. But to go out of your way to avoid something that has to do with them is a bit off the charts. Is it ok to point at someone in an airport who has a Cubs shirt on and say Hey look at that bandwagon fan wearing that Cubs shirt. While the Cubs fan comments back and the Sox fan says Hey we won a world series. I dont think not one of us liked/likes being called banwagon Sox fans cuz of the WS.

Should the Cubs fans boycott the Brownline and the occasional Red line that have the whole side of at least 4 cars that say WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

Thank you. I suppose in economic-speak I might say I don't see Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to be equivalents, and therefore can't substitute one for the other (although I suppose I could live without either) . . .

Beyond that, I know this is a shopworn topic, but for the record, I don't hate the Cubs. I don't care about the Cubs. I don't think anybody is less of a fan for hating the Cubs, but I don't see why I (or "we," as posted) "should hate the Cubs" to be a Sox fan (or fans)--especially to some of the points in this thread . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
"It is also common sense to not not spend the ridiculous prices on a piece of meat that could barely feed one. "

That's why I said IF it is a toss up. I don't know the price comparison's between the stores.

"Hey look at that bandwagon fan wearing that Cubs shirt. While the Cubs fan comments back and the Sox fan says Hey we won a world series. I dont think not one of us liked/likes being called banwagon Sox fans cuz of the WS."

What does this have to do with anything? I said you can choose what to buy and where to shop, not pick fights in an airport an criticize people.

"Should the Cubs fans boycott the Brownline and the occasional Red line that have the whole side of at least 4 cars that say WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES"

That doesn't sound like something that would have a "toss up" alternative so the answer is obviously no.

Sure it is you can take the bus cab or walk or even wait for a train that doesnt have the White Sox WS Champs on it.

bludupree
07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Sure it is you can take the bus cab or walk or even wait for a train that doesnt have the White Sox WS Champs on it.

Toss up means there isn't a downside. Walking takes time that some don't have, especially on the way to work, a taxi is much more expensive, and waiting for a train takes time. Therefore they are not "toss up" alternatives, just alternatives.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Toss up means there isn't a downside. Walking takes time that some don't have, especially on the way to work, a taxi is much more expensive, and waiting for a train takes time. Therefore they are not "toss up" alternatives, just alternatives.

whole foods is more expensive then trader joes as is a cab more expensive then train/bus.

bludupree

And if one train car is painted with cubs crap and the other isn't I will get in the other car.

cheeses_h_rice
You have to pick your battles, and the stupid "C" logo on the Trader Joe's bags isn't one of them, IMO.

Every time I drink an Old Style, I see that stupid "C" logo on the can, and occasionally an artist's rendition of the ivy or the Wrigley marquee depending on their latest promotion with the Cubs. I like the beer too much to stop drinking it over their association with the North Siders.

OTOH, I haven't bought a Tribune in years (except for the playoffs last year), and I haven't paid to get into the Urinal in years. That's a battle worth fighting.

Also, that jackass Rover on 105.9 plastered his ugly mug all over the city wearing a Kubbie Klown Blue hat. I ignored his show (OK, except a few times, to hear how bad it was). That's a battle worth fighting, IMO.

Let's face it, most businesses aren't truly loyal to the Cubs or Sox. All they care about is bang for the buck when they choose who and what to associate themselves with. For the most part, it's not personal. When it is personal (e.g. Rover and his lame-ass attempt to jump onto the Kool Kids Kubbie Klown Blue bus), then I might take action.

bludupree
07-13-2006, 12:22 PM
whole foods is more expensive then trader joes as is a cab more expensive then train/bus.

I stated that I wasn't aware of the price comparisons and that it was only valid IFit was a toss up.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
And if one train car is painted with cubs crap and the other isn't I will get in the other car.

Eh, it's a toss-up for me . . . specifically would the evangelical opportunities in the Cub car outweigh the embarassment of being seen in it?:wink:

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
You have to pick your battles, and the stupid "C" logo on the Trader Joe's bags isn't one of them, IMO.

Every time I drink an Old Style, I see that stupid "C" logo on the can, and occasionally an artist's rendition of the ivy or the Wrigley marquee depending on their latest promotion with the Cubs. I like the beer too much to stop drinking it over their association with the North Siders.

OTOH, I haven't bought a Tribune in years (except for the playoffs last year), and I haven't paid to get into the Urinal in years. That's a battle worth fighting.

Also, that jackass Rover on 105.9 plastered his ugly mug all over the city wearing a Kubbie Klown Blue hat. I ignored his show (OK, except a few times, to hear how bad it was). That's a battle worth fighting, IMO.

Let's face it, most businesses aren't truly loyal to the Cubs or Sox. All they care about is bang for the buck when they choose who and what to associate themselves with. For the most part, it's not personal. When it is personal (e.g. Rover and his lame-ass attempt to jump onto the Kool Kids Kubbie Klown Blue bus), then I might take action.

I'm actually more concerned about giving money to Anheuser Busch than to the Cubs through TJ's or Old Style . . . Busch could use the money smartly--e.g., to lure Buehrle away someday?--but I'm not sure the Cubs ever could:tongue: . . .

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM

I shop at both depending on what I'm buying. For example, Whole Foods has a much larger selection of spices, fruits, vegetables, etc. But as far as pricing goes, not even close.

Example: filet mignon. Trader Joe's-$14.99 lb.; Whole Foods-$24.99 lb. And IMO, Trader Joe's is better.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM

I'm getting in the one that's less crowded. Unless Ronnie Woo-Woo happens to be on it....

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm getting in the one that's less crowded. Unless Ronnie Woo-Woo happens to be on it....

I saw Ronnie actually in Millenium Park. Im gonna stop going now.

cheeses_h_rice
07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm actually more concerned about giving money to Anheuser Busch than to the Cubs through TJ's or Old Style . . . Busch could use the money smartly--e.g., to lure Buehrle away someday?--but I'm not sure the Cubs ever could:tongue: . . .

A-B doesn't own the Cardinals anymore.

DieTrying79
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM
And Dusty was the manager getting on the intercom saying clean up in aisle 2.

I'm gonna start calling you "butter", because you are on a ROLL!:tongue:

OMG, I just found out Whole Foods is sponsoring the Tigers this year, at this rate I might starve!

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 12:34 PM

He lives around Lawrence and Wolcott, about 4 blocks east of me. When I used to walk my dog, I had the misfortune of seeing him waaaaay too often.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:35 PM
A-B doesn't own the Cardinals anymore.

Whoops:redface: .

But that's good to know. I'll think of you with my next Bud:gulp: . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:37 PM
He lives around Lawrence and Wolcott, about 4 blocks east of me. When I used to walk my dog, I had the misfortune of seeing him waaaaay too often.

That actually would probably make me ill. I went to the Cubs Yankees game last year in NYC and somehow some way he was there. Even my Cub fan friends were disgusted.

norsepalehoser
07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm not giving up my 3 buck chuck.
its 2 dollars in cali:supernana:

davenicholson
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Seriously. I dont see why a bag that has a Cubs logo is really that disturbing esp since they sponsor the damn team and it baseball season. Besides you throw the bags away anyways it isnt like you are buying a keep sake item.
Not to mention the perverse pleasure I get when using these bags for "cleanup" when I take Winston the Wonder Dog for a walk. Oh, maybe I should turn them inside-out first so that the brown stuff gets all over the logo.:redneck

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
its 2 dollars in cali:supernana:

Probably because that's where the vineyard is.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-13-2006, 12:50 PM
they have this pepper flavored chips that are just great.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
We're getting very close to 100 with this . . . would somebody go find a tomato that isn't from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Cub Foods, nor the Jewel near my house with too much Cubs crap too prominently displayed in it, and that isn't transported by the CTA car with Cubs crap on it? I'd give you one from my garden, but they aren't ripe yet (and I got some gardening tips from a Cub fan friend . . .) . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 12:57 PM
We're getting very close to 100 with this . . . would somebody go find a tomato that isn't from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Cub Foods, nor the Jewel near my house with too much Cubs crap too prominently displayed in it, and that isn't transported by the CTA car with Cubs crap on it? I'd give you one from my garden, but they aren't ripe yet (and I got some gardening tips from a Cub fan friend . . .) . . .

You should be ashamed of yourself for getting gardening tips from a Cubs fan. Maybe you should go and dig it up.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself for getting gardening tips from a Cubs fan. Maybe you should go and dig it up.

He was the best man in my wedding, too!

Oh, well, he was drinking Old Style--or was it an A-B product?--at the time, so I figured any stupidity resulting from that would cancel out any latent Cubdumb stupidity he might have, and result in some good tips . . .

itsnotrequired
07-13-2006, 01:12 PM
How the hell is this thread up to 100 posts?

:?:

Edward
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I shop at Trader Joe's all the time and get these bags, It never bothered me. My roommate OTOH, hates anything Cub-related. His old man sent him out for a couple cases of Bud a few months back which were about $15 a piece (deal) After seeing the Cub logo on the case he got 2 18 packs and a 12er. It's like paying an extra $10 to de-cub your beer packaging. :rolleyes:

hi im skot
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
How the hell is this thread up to 100 posts?

All-star break + bored at work = :tomatoaward

Chip Z'nuff
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
He was the best man in my wedding, too!

Oh, well, he was drinking Old Style--or was it an A-B product?--at the time, so I figured any stupidity resulting from that would cancel out any latent Cubdumb stupidity he might have, and result in some good tips . . .

Was the Old Style in a commerative Cubbie can? The government should put health warnings on those things as drinking one is worse than eating a pound of lead paint chips.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I shop at Trader Joe's all the time and get these bags, It never bothered me. My roommate OTOH, hates anything Cub-related. His old man sent him out for a couple cases of Bud a few months back which were about $15 a piece (deal) After seeing the Cub logo on the case he got 2 18 packs and a 12er. It's like paying an extra $10 to de-cub your beer packaging. :rolleyes:

I just did a search on "de-cub" and was surprised to see it's never been used on these boards. Kudos, Edward, for what I'm sure many will find to be a useful verb:redneck . . .

Edward
07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I just did a search on "de-cub" and was surprised to see it's never been used on these boards. Kudos, Edward, for what I'm sure many will find to be a useful verb:redneck . . .

I'm here to help. :cool:

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
My only problem with Trader Joe's is it makes alot of women raving lunatics. It's all they can freaking talk about.

Trader Joe's isn't the cause of that.

(prepared to get slammed by women in 5.. 4... 3...)

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Nope, too easy.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Shame on you! Please go stand in the corner.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Reason #2 to like Trader Joe's - Lots o' ladies

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Now THERE ya go! :wink:

spiffie
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
So it's a place for meeting vapid people and girl watching.

I guess I was wrong, Trader Joe's should sponsor the Cubs. Going there sounds pretty akin to going to Wrigley.

miker
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Since Hangar's been run off it has become very fashionable on WSI to bully people who publicly admit to hating the Cubs.

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 01:50 PM

I guess I was wrong, Trader Joe's should sponsor the Cubs. Going there sounds pretty akin to going to Wrigley.

Vapid people? Hmmmm....

I shop regularly at Trader Joe's, but for some reason I am feeling oddly mellow today, so I will just treat this inane comment with the contempt it deserves. :cool:

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Come on, I love women. Some of my favorite people are women. Do I want to be a woman? No. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Actually, I found this thread a little silly so I figured...blah. nevermind.

Living in Cali, of course I don't have this issue with Cubs sponsorship. However, I am rather conflicted when I buy tickets to see the White Sox play the Angels. I have to see my White Sox, even if it means my money goes to the team trying to defeat them.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 01:53 PM

I like girls.

You're not one of those indie-Lincoln Square guys that do nothing but post missed connections ads on craigslist are you? :tongue:

CLR01
07-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Cub hater first, Sox fan second.

Now lets all tip a 40 in memory of Hangar and the cubsessed everywhere. Keep fighting the good fight.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Now lets all tip a 40 in memory of Hangar and the cubsessed everywhere. Keep fighting the good fight.

With apologies for my ignorance, may I please ask what "tip a 40" means? (I got quite a few hits on google, but no definition--probably meaning I'm even more ignorant than I realized:redface: .)

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

I would never waste good beer on him.

Chips
07-13-2006, 02:05 PM
I've never been to a Traders Joe's in my entire life.

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
With apologies for my ignorance, may I please ask what "tip a 40" means? (I got quite a few hits on google, but no definition--probably meaning I'm even more ignorant than I realized:redface: .)

pour a little out of a 40 oz of beer in memory of someone or something

dickallen15
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
My wife came home with one of those Trader Joe's bags with the Cubs emblem on it. I asked her what she thought she was doing with that bag. Now every time she goes to Trader Joe's she has the bagger put an X through the Cubs emblem with a black marker. I love her.

DumpJerry
07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Is this the off-season? This thread is wayyyyyyyyyy too big to read!

I don't if this comment was made, but when I first saw these bags (weeks ago) I thought:

"Wow. The Cubs are so bad, they are now a charity!":D:

I also told the store manager to look out for a guy wearing a Sox jersey with "Hangar 18" on the back. He might do something stupid to the store.....

White Sox Randy
07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the amazing response to the post.

One thing that I want to say is that I am not deciding between shopping at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I just used Whole Foods as an example.

I can shop at many different food stores or butcher shops. I definitely won't starve.

And, I don't want to sound like I'm up in arms over this. If you knew me, then you would know that I'm a pretty calm and laid back guy.

I just decided that I don't appreciate THIS stores BLATANT promotion of the flubs and ONLY the flubs.

I also shopped at Cub foods one day, with my wife, and noticed a beer display with flubs all over it. Half jokingly, I told my wife that we wouldn't be returning to this store.

Then, a few aisles over, I saw a display hanging high on the wall with a real cool cutout of Sox park and the playoffs (I don't remember all the details) and it was really nice. So, I jokingly told her it was ok to come back.

Anyhow, the bag thing just annoyed me. Plus, the fact that there was no choice of bag so that I WAS FORCED TO CARRY CHICAGO FLUB bags to my car.

And, that's about as excited as I'm going to get about this. But, until something changes, Trader Joe's will not get my money.

I'm not saying that they care but I feel better about it - and that is what matters.

Hitmen77
07-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Oh yeah, well I'm keeping my kids out of Cub Scouts until they rename them Sox Scouts.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
pour a little out of a 40 oz of beer in memory of someone or something

Oh, I get it . . . as in a pitcher, right?

Thanks.

SOXPHILE
07-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Unless they take steps to correct this situation, I am hereby announcing that I will no longer be patronizing either the Brookfield, or Lincoln Park Zoo(s). While visiting, I discovered that in THE SAME AREA AS THE BEARS, there are also bear Cubs. Not only that, but upon further investigation, I found they also have areas where Tigers are on display. I tracked down the head zoo keeper, and politely but sternly informed him that they would no longer be getting any of my money as long as this pro Cub and pro Tiger bias continued. I also demanded to know where the section for "White Sox around the world" was. He looked at me, puzzled, and I stormed out.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah, well I'm keeping my kids out of Cub Scouts until they rename them Sox Scouts.

Don't laugh too much (though I did) . . . one of the den leaders (whom I know to be a Sox fan) in my son's pack used to send "Dear Cub fan" letters to the parents. He doesn't do that any more . . . I don't know if he actually got a complaint about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if I were to learn he did . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh, I get it . . . as in a pitcher, right?

Thanks.

as in 40 oz bottle of beer.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
as in 40 oz bottle of beer.

Yowza. Not only am I more ignorant than I realized, I'm older than I realized . . .

daveeym
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
as in 40 oz bottle of beer. Rather a 40 oz bottle of malt liquor. Which I'd be surprised if you could find anyone claiming it was good. :tongue:

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Rather a 40 oz bottle of malt liquor. Which I'd be surprised if you could find anyone claiming it was good. :tongue:

True that. Like a 99 cent 40 of Old English....Magnum and god only knows what other **** I drank when I was in high school.
The thought of Malt Liquor makes me Ill!:puking:

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Rather a 40 oz bottle of malt liquor. Which I'd be surprised if you could find anyone claiming it was good. :tongue:

Thanks, dave. Just curious--is beer (rather than malt liquor) even sold in 40 oz. bottles? (I recall--maybe inaccurately but it seem like all too well--that it comes in quart bottles.) Maybe I should just check this out on my next visit to Sox Foods . . .

jenn2080
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks, dave. Just curious--is beer (rather than malt liquor) even sold in 40 oz. bottles? (I recall--maybe inaccurately but it seem like all too well--that it comes in quart bottles.) Maybe I should just check this out on my next visit to Sox Foods . . .

yes your can get 40 oz of miller lite i know that.

soxfan13
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
yes your can get 40 oz of miller lite i know that.

You can still get 40s in bottles:D:

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I saw one of Picasso's Cubist paintings at the Art Institute. I'll never go there again.

PatK
07-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This Calabria Imports sounds fascinating. Where are the locations?

And what's a Freddie? I'm hungry

Hitmen77
07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Unless they take steps to correct this situation, I am hereby announcing that I will no longer be patronizing either the Brookfield, or Lincoln Park Zoo(s). While visiting, I discovered that in THE SAME AREA AS THE BEARS, there are also bear Cubs. Not only that, but upon further investigation, I found they also have areas where Tigers are on display. I tracked down the head zoo keeper, and politely but sternly informed him that they would no longer be getting any of my money as long as this pro Cub and pro Tiger bias continued. I also demanded to know where the section for "White Sox around the world" was. He looked at me, puzzled, and I stormed out.

I think Brookfield Zoo got the message loud and clear. Check this out (you'll have to scroll down a bit on this page):
http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSection=10&PageID=194&nLinkID=283

We Love All of the White Sox! (http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/pgpages/pagegen.158.aspx)

We love all the White Sox. Yup, we are excited about the World Series, but here at Brookfield Zoo, we have our own team of pale fancy-footers. Our MVP is the okapi, a very secretive creature who is not bashful about sporting its favorite team colors. Find out more about this private pale hose.

Beer Can Chicken
07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
I saw Ogre sing karaoke (Lets Hear It For The Boy) at Trader Todd's. I guarantee I'll never go there again.

markopat
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
This is friggin hilarious!!! Just to throw "Fuel on the Fire"...Who else is a Cub sponser? Where can we find a list?? hee hee...this is classic!

:threadrules:

Chip Z'nuff
07-13-2006, 03:23 PM
This Calabria Imports sounds fascinating. Where are the locations?

And what's a Freddie? I'm hungry

It is an old school Italian grocery store, in the back they have a takeout counter where they make italian beefs, freddies, combos, chicken parmesan sammiches. go ona saturday and they have free tastings. 1905 w 103rd st

My favorite meal is some De Cecco penne and arrabiatta pasta sauce with Italian Sausage.

Freddie is an italian sausage patty smothered in red sauce and topped with roasted peppers and mozzarella cheese

PatK
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Nuts!! I was hoping it was in Blue Island. Beverly is out of the way.

SOXPHILE
07-13-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Brookfield Zoo got the message loud and clear. Check this out (you'll have to scroll down a bit on this page):
http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSection=10&PageID=194&nLinkID=283 (http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSection=10&PageID=194&nLinkID=283)

That is pretty funny. (I've seen those things before. What an odd looking animal).

That's fine, but they still show a Tiger in there. More anti-Sox bias.....

Reni
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I should probably not drink Bud Light either since they sell it at the park.

There are so many other good reasons not to drink Bud Light.....I can think of one, it's not very good! ;)

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Well as we know Mark CUBan is destined to buy that team. I believe one of the companies he owns is HDNet. Ironically enough, it has replayed the 2005 World Series video several times.

batmanZoSo
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Trader Joe's is great, I don't care what they have to do with the cubs. It's cheap, small and they have a lot of healthy stuff to choose from. Plus their store made stuff is really good.

eriqjaffe
07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
This is friggin hilarious!!! Just to throw "Fuel on the Fire"...Who else is a Cub sponser?

http://att.cubs.com

That's it, I'm not using the phone any more!

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
http://att.cubs.com

That's it, I'm not using the phone any more!

...well... you could always switch to...U.S. Cellular!

Frontman
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
So, wait, using this logic of not buying stuff from Cubs sponsors might hurt in the long run. Trader Joes, Budwiser, the Tribune. Come to think of it, true Sox fans won't read either Chicago paper, one because they own the Cubs, the other due to Morronotti!!!!!

http://mud.mm-a5.yimg.com/image/1438511796 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4Ofu7ZE3iwAlcSJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBkaWRnNHZ yBHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDc3I-/SIG=1fokpakae/EXP=1152912671/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo .com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253DStyx%2526sm%2 53DYahoo%252521%252BSearch%2526fr%253DFP-tab-img-t%2526toggle%253D1%2526cop%253D%2526ei%253DUTF-8%26w=200%26h=196%26imgurl=musicmoz.org%252Fimg%25 2Feditors%252Fpoppyseed%252Fstyx.jpg%26rurl=http%2 53A%252F%252Fmusicmoz.org%252FBands_and_Artists%25 2FS%252FStyx%26size=8.9kB%26name=styx.jpg%26p=Styx %26type=jpeg%26no=11%26tt=71,214%26ei=UTF-8)

"Is it any wonder that I've got too much, time on my hands!"

Oh, this is bad. Next thing you tell me that anyone who wears red, white and blue should be stoned for wearing Cubs colors........

Front

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSection=10&PageID=194&nLinkID=283 (http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/0.asp?nSection=10&PageID=194&nLinkID=283)

Well, fine, but did any of you who are Bears fans notice that the Lions are displayed more prominently on that page? And that after the measly first Bears picture there are two Dolphins pictures displayed before another Bears picture is displayed? I'm turning in my membership if I see a Viking display there . . .

Frontman
07-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, fine, but did any of you who are Bears fans notice that the Lions are displayed more prominently on that page? And that after the measly first Bears picture there are two Dolphins pictures displayed before another Bears picture is displayed? I'm turning in my membership if I see a Viking display there . . .

Hey, that's my reasoning for never going to the Art Institute! Large Lions on the steps, throwing support to Detroit........

Front

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey, that's my reasoning for never going to the Art Institute! Large Lions on the steps, throwing support to Detroit........

Front

Don't get me started on the Shedd Aquarium . . .

1951Campbell
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
I saw one of Picasso's Cubist paintings at the Art Institute. I'll never go there again.

As a Packer fan, I skip seeing the bears at zoos.

CLR01
07-13-2006, 04:52 PM
As a Packer fan, I skip seeing the bears at zoos.

You should go into the cage and beat them. Everyone else does.

CLR01
07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Well as we know Mark CUBan is destined to buy that team. I believe one of the companies he owns is HDNet. Ironically enough, it has replayed the 2005 World Series video several times.

When has HDnet aired the WS video?

Chisox003
07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
You should go into the cage and beat them. Everyone else does.
:cheers:
Well played.

Well played indeed.

MDF3530
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I just thought I'd pass on the information. I think Trader Joe's is only in the North suburbs anyway but I could be wrong.There's also one in Orland Park, across from Orland Square Mall. I've been by it, but never have been in it.

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
When has HDnet aired the WS video?

I've watched it out here twice in April and May.

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 05:26 PM
This is friggin hilarious!!! Just to throw "Fuel on the Fire"...Who else is a Cub sponser? Where can we find a list?? hee hee...this is classic!

:threadrules:

Sure there's such a list--they're called Tribune advertisers, no?

Just for kicks, I actually tried to, but couldn't, find a list of sponsors at cubs.com. Undoubtedly part of their subterfuge--or do I mean cubterfuge?--to get unsuspecting Sox fans to still support that team. I suppose with me it's like cheeses said all too many posts ago--many things may bother me, but some things aren't worth bothering with . . .

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
I knew there was something I didn't like about this place.

http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_map/cuba.gif

Lyle Mouton
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
How did your wife not slap you? It sounds like something a 14 year old would care about.

Trader Joes has great food, for what it's worth

MrRoboto83
07-13-2006, 08:21 PM

I don't understand why they have to put it on their shopping bag. Being a sponsor is one thing, but why brag about it, can't be good for business this year.

whitesoxwilkes
07-13-2006, 08:28 PM

I saw Ronnie in Jimbo's.

I stopped going.

chaerulez
07-13-2006, 09:05 PM

You actually asked for different bags? I could care less who sponsors what, just because a company sponsors a team I like I'm not going to be inclined to buy their product or vice versa.

nasox
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
So, are we boycotting Wrigley gum? :?:

lukeman89
07-13-2006, 09:32 PM
im glad everyone is finally coming around

i've been boycotting MLB ever since they starting making cubs apparel.

Cuck the Fubs
07-13-2006, 09:36 PM
12 pages?!?!?:?: :?: :?:

I think the all star break has left many Sox fans with waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much idle time:rolleyes:

Cellview22
07-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Never shopped at Trader Joes. How are the prices?

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 10:00 PM
So, are we boycotting Wrigley gum? :?:

Damn straight. And the Bud Light Bleachers.:cool:

Johnny Mostil
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM

I think the all star break has left many Sox fans with waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much idle time:rolleyes:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

DSpivack
07-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Trader Joe's? Pretty much my favorite grocery store.

Opening in the fall in Atlanta! :bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
07-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Didn't go through the whole thread, and I think that the original post is taking it a little too extreme (wanting a different bag part), but I really started disliking ATA after their campaigns to get Greg Maddux to sign with the Cubs, it was ridiculous

ChiSoxLifer
07-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Because of Jacques Jones and Juan Pierre, I will never buy another Renault. I will stop watching kung fu movies because of Derrek Lee. I will never injure myself because Kerry Wood and Mark Prior monopolized the disabled list. Lastly, I will move to London so I will never have to see the cubbie blue skies.

nasox
07-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Damn straight. And the Bud Light Bleachers.:cool:

What about the Wrigley building?

Johnny Mostil
07-14-2006, 06:40 AM

Do you really have to ask? Forget the name; it's right across the street from the Little Blue Empire Death Star . . .

jenn2080
07-14-2006, 07:31 AM

Actually the Wrigley Building and the Tribune building are my 2 favorite buildings in Chicago. Why couldnt they be built plain?

Frontman
07-14-2006, 08:20 AM

See the top of page 11. I completely agree.

BTW, I think this was the Tribune's plan all along. IF we boycott all things related to the Cubs, we can't watch Sox games on WGN.

Curse them, a pox upon them, we hates them, precious!!!

Front

Cat Thief
07-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I thought Trader Joes was a furniture store. :redface:

I guess I am flubsessed since I stopped buying Bubba Burgers after I seen their big advertisement behind home plate at the ****hole. I emailed them and let them know. They sent me some $1 coupons that ended up in the trash. Now I have to make my own burgers instead of slapping those frozen ones right on the grill.

This thread makes we want to get a 40. Maybe I will get a deuce deuce. (Which actually is 24oz.)

Reni
07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I knew there was something I didn't like about this place.

http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_map/cuba.gif

:D:
lol!

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and good baseball too! Too bad, I can't go back now......ahhh well.

--

in other news....my husband went to Trader Joe's last night for some dark chocolate and I paraded the bag around on my head......it then spontaneously combusted.

ws05champs
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I had a tough time going to Culver's when they were solely sponsoring the Cubs. I kept E-mailing them that they should also sponsor the World Champs and this year they do (not that I'm taking credit for making that happen).

We should do the same with Trader Joe's (unfortunately they do not have an online contact form). So if anyone cares enough to write them a letter, here is the address:

Trader Joe's Customer Relations
117 Kendrick Street
Suite 700
Needham, MA 02494

In the meantime here are some things you can do with the Cubs bags:

Use them to help start the Bar-B-Que
Wrap garbage
Recycle
Dart board targets
Airsoft BB gun targets
You can also bring your own bags.

This is way too many posts for a topic like this. Good thing the Sox resume play tonight.

esbrechtel
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM

:kneeslap:

SoxEd
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Anyone who hates the Cubs should NOT boycott stores/companies that sponsor them, and here's why:

If you keep buying from Cubs sponsors, they'll assume that their high revenue is partly down to sponsoring the Cubs, and continue to do it.

At the same time, Cubs management will realise that they can remain profitable without having to field a decent team, and the team will continue to suck, causing much jollity at their expense.

If, however, enough people boycott Cubs sponsors, their sponsorship will dry up, and the franchise lose revenues.

This MAY prompt a strategic rethink in the Front Office on the Northside, and the resultant construction of a Cubs team that is consitently better than the Sox.
:o:

Which would, I put it to you, be a result that no-one here wishes to see...

DumpJerry
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
We should do the same with Trader Joe's (unfortunately they do not have an online contact form). So if anyone cares enough to write them a letter, here is the address:

Trader Joe's Customer Relations
117 Kendrick Street
Suite 700
Needham, MA 02494

I think our chances are "remote."

ChiSoxLifer
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM

Wrap garbage
Recycle
Dart board targets
Airsoft BB gun targetsYou can also bring your own bags.

This is way too many posts for a topic like this. Good thing the Sox resume play tonight.

If for some reason you have to go to a cubs game, you can wear the bag over your head. If that doesn't work, you can get a cubs fan to wear it over his/her head and still use it as a Dart board target.

Johnny Mostil
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM

Wrap garbage
Recycle
Dart board targets
Airsoft BB gun targets

Just got back from a bike ride and I think I saw (kind of tough to tell in the dark) some homes doing 2 and 3. Are we making a difference?!?!?

Scottzilla
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
:D:
lol!

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and good baseball too! Too bad, I can't go back now......ahhh well.

--

in other news....my husband went to Trader Joe's last night for some dark chocolate and I paraded the bag around on my head......it then spontaneously combusted.

Jesse Helms = Sox fan????

Johnny74
07-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Does this mean I should get rid of my Cub Cadet lawn tractor?