PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Fact or Fiction.

Thome25
07-13-2006, 05:56 AM
I just got done watching Espn's Fact or Fiction. It had Tim Kurkjan and Orel Hershiser on it. They predicted that the Yankees would miss the playoffs because of the way the White Sox and Tigers are both playing in the Central.

The thing that I found most interesting is that they BOTH predicted that the Tigers WOULD NOT be able to hold off the White Sox in the Central. I found that to be SHOCKING because someone on ESPN actually had something good to say about the White Sox.

Kurkjan also called the White Sox the best team in baseball. He said that they have a great pitching staff that hasn't hit it's stride. He also predicted that the White Sox would beat the Mets in the World Series. Hershiser also predicted the White Sox in the WS as well.

Does anyone else find it shocking that someone (anyone) on ESPN would have such great things to say about our Sox? Thoughts?

spiffie
07-13-2006, 07:05 AM
It's not surprising. Pretty much everyone on their web site when writing up predictions for the year is saying the White Sox will be in the World Series. They don't know what to do with the Sox success so they acknowledge it when they have to but they don't ever go out of their way to interrupt the NYY/BOS lovefest.

WisSoxFan
07-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Not surprised at all. It seems to me that people in general tend to hear and remember only the negative things that are said about them or, in a fans case, their team. I know basketball coaches who require their players to say "rebound" after a coach says some constructive or negative to them in practice and "two points" whenever a coach says something positive. The players are stunned to find out they are saying "two points" much more than "rebound". Why? Because people tend to hear and remember the negative over the positive. It's human nature. I've grown up a White Sox fan and a Badger fan. We have a couple of things in common. We feel like we get no respect. Yet, from the Badger standpoint, every year our teams (football and basketball) start the year ranked no matter how many players return, but of course no one at ESPN like Wisconsin either.:cool:

I would imagine you could go to any board in the country and see the same threads - "ESPN Sucks", "We get no respect", etc etc.

Hitmen77
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Seeing as Boston took 2 of 3 from us and looked pretty impressive over the weekend, I'm surprised that ESPN isn't fully on the Red Sox World Series bandwagon.

ondafarm
07-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Orel Hershiser is a straight up guy. While if he was told, this show is about the Red Sox, he'd talk about the Red Sox, he wouldn't say, they'll be in the World Series, he'd say they are contenders. If he think the White Sox will be in the World Series that is exactly what he'd say.

Britt Burns
07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Uh-oh...if ESPN says something is going to happen, you can almost bank on the fact that they will prove to be wrong. Let's hope they get one right, for once.

Thome25
07-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Uh-oh...if ESPN says something is going to happen, you can almost bank on the fact that they will prove to be wrong. Let's hope they get one right, for once.

That's not true. Alot of the ass-clown talking heads that work for ESPN were predicting the White Sox would win vs. the Angels and Astros in the ALCS and WS.

Dibbs
07-13-2006, 10:24 AM
That's not true. Alot of the ass-clown talking heads that work for ESPN were predicting the White Sox would win vs. the Angels and Astros in the ALCS and WS.

I remeber 6 or 7 of 8 people on ESPN predicted the Angels would win the ALCS vs the Sox. Most were saying in 5 or 6 games too!

Thome25
07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I remeber 6 or 7 of 8 people on ESPN predicted the Angels would win the ALCS vs the Sox. Most were saying in 5 or 6 games too!

I think all three of the idiots on Cold Pizza picked the White Sox against the Angels and two of the three picked the White Sox vs the Astros. The "King of all ass-clowns" Skip Bayless picked the Astros.

I could be mistaken though.

PushnThaEscalade
07-13-2006, 10:30 AM
ESPN is useful for a lot of things, baseball analysis isn't one of them.

Thome25
07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
ESPN is useful for a lot of things, baseball analysis isn't one of them.

It's just nice to see us get some props from a national media outlet even though it is coming from "Red Sox Network". To me it means alot that Kurkjan said that after the Red Sox took two of three from us at home.

I think that 19-inning victory vs the Red Sawx sent a message over there that this is an awesome "never-say-die" team that doesn't give up or give in no matter what.

kobo
07-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Hershiser himself even said during that segment that he didn't think Rogers would hold up in the 2nd half for the Tigers.

Jerko
07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
:rolleyes: for what espn says. When they say something bad about the Sox, everybody gets pissed and says "they (ESPN) suck anyway, why do we care", but AS SOON as they say something good about the Sox, it's "DIDYA SEE THAT!! ESPN SAID THE SOX ARE THE BEST!!!!!". Same with the power rankings. Sox fall to 3rd or 4th, espn doesn't know what they're talking about. Sox reclaim #1, there's 8 threads about it saying how wonderful it is. I guess that's my long-winded way of saying "who cares what they think; we'll see what happens in October". :cool:

areilly
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM

This doesn't include Brantley, Kruk, or a few other choice ESPN commentators, but among ESPN.com's self-described "experts," only Jim Caple had the White Sox even getting to the World Series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2179945

JermaineDye05
07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
perhaps it's their way of telling white sox nation "we're sorry"

mccoydp
07-13-2006, 10:54 AM
perhaps it's their way of telling white sox nation "we're sorry"

:?:

What color are those Sox you're talking about?

Thome25
07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
perhaps it's their way of telling The White Sox ARMY "we're sorry"

There I fixed it for ya'!!:D:

Lip Man 1
07-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Who cares regardless of what they say, it's ESPN.

Read the story in today's Southtown that talks about how Sunday the Sox had Baseball Tonight on in the clubhouse when that moron Brantley, said the Sox would win the division because Konerko and Dye will put together some real offensive numbersin the second half...that Thome was 'carrying' the team.

:rolleyes:

Please...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/131sd1.htm

Lip

hi im skot
07-13-2006, 01:00 PM

Read the story in today's Southtown that talks about how Sunday the Sox had Baseball Tonight on in the clubhouse when that moron Brantley, said the Sox would win the division because Konerko and Dye will put together some real offensive numbersin the second half...that Thome was 'carrying' the team.

Please...

Lip

Thanks for the article, Lip!

miker
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM
ESPN is useful for a lot of things...
Live poker and pool tournament coverage?

RealMenWearBlack
07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm still not convinced that Kurkjian knows anything about our team. I was watching it yesterday and he said something complimentary about our bullpen that gave me the impression he didn't know what was going on.

Jose.Contreras
07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm still not convinced that Kurkjian knows anything about our team. I was watching it yesterday and he said something complimentary about our bullpen that gave me the impression he didn't know what was going on.

I actually like Tim Kurkjan. I think he is really underrated, actually. And he seems to have always been pretty fair to the White Sox

oeo
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Hershiser himself even said during that segment that he didn't think Rogers would hold up in the 2nd half for the Tigers.

I don't think anyone in that rotation will hold up. There's a whole bunch of mediocrity in that rotation. Sure, they've pitched great to this point, but I'll gladly eat my crow if Bonderman, Robertson, and Miner keep this up. Verlander is good, but I still think he was overworked in the first half and will run out of gas.

TDog
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
It doesn't take much creativity to pick the White Sox to repeat. Despite what we feel as fans, especially those of use who have endured just that one World Series title in decades of following the team, the Sox are winning at a higher rate than anyone but the Tigers. And if the Tigers stumble in August, as the 2005 White Sox did, they don't have that big lead to protect them. You look for the teams inexperienced at winning to fall back, and this year, for the first time in a long time, it isn't the White Sox.

I'm not predicting the White Sox will win the World Series. I can't predict the Series until I know who will be playing in it. A lot can go wrong (or right) in the post season, even if it doesn't in August and September.

If you work for ESPN, guessing is in your job description.

PeteWard
07-14-2006, 07:37 AM
It doesn't take much creativity to pick the White Sox to repeat. Despite what we feel as fans, especially those of use who have endured just that one World Series title in decades of following the team, the Sox are winning at a higher rate than anyone but the Tigers. And if the Tigers stumble in August, as the 2005 White Sox did, they don't have that big lead to protect them. You look for the teams inexperienced at winning to fall back, and this year, for the first time in a long time, it isn't the White Sox.

I'm not predicting the White Sox will win the World Series. I can't predict the Series until I know who will be playing in it. A lot can go wrong (or right) in the post season, even if it doesn't in August and September.

If you work for ESPN, guessing is in your job description.

I hate the idea of getting on any Boston bandwagon, but to me they are the biggest obstacle the Sox face. If the Sox take the Division, I see them dispatching whatever West team in 3 or 4 and then playing Boston, who I think would beat Detroit. They would be tougher than any WS team the NL vomits forth. If the Sox get the WC (which they won't--they'll pass detroit-- to stay-- within the next 15 games!) they would get Boston first, again, a much tougher assignement come plaoff time than Detroit or West Champ.
Let's face it, Boston handed the Sox asses to them and while the never say die last game may turn this year's rivalry around, they were an out away from being swept.

By the way why does everyone count on Kenny Rogers to fade in the 2nd half when his career ERA in the 2nd half is lower than his career first half ERA? :?:
Im counting on their young pitchers and defense to collapse!:cool: Oh and by the way, Boston's pitching will tank soon as well.

SoxFan76
07-14-2006, 08:56 AM

Please...

Lip

I read that story yesterday (the day you posted this) and I thought it was a great article. When I'm at work I look at 2 newspaper websites: the Cubune and the Daily Southtown. I look at the Cubune mostly to laugh at their Cub articles, but I go to the Southtown to see some real articles that took some actual thought to create.

Why can't the Tribune write articles like that...

sullythered
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Orel Hershiser is a straight up guy. While if he was told, this show is about the Red Sox, he'd talk about the Red Sox, he wouldn't say, they'll be in the World Series, he'd say they are contenders. If he think the White Sox will be in the World Series that is exactly what he'd say.
Orel is BY FAR my favorite baseball guy on that awful station.

PKalltheway
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Believe me, I think he knows plenty about the Sox. Our bullpen is decent (outside of Politte). Trust me, it could be a LOT worse and Kurkjian knows that. Just look at the Reds.