PDA

View Full Version : A Slow Week - Book Review - Sox in the City

MYBOYAJ
07-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Has anyone else read Sox in the City by Richard Roeper? I thought I'd pick it up this week, and hopefully keep me occupied this week. Problem is, that I finished it too quickly. It's pretty good book, skips around a bit ala Pulp Fiction. I like Roeper, and his recollections being a Sox fan mirror my own. It's an easy read written in a very casual manner. I recommend it.

chisoxmike
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I have 3 issues from scanning through the book the other day at Borders...

1) Roeper writes the final score of Game 1 of the ALDS White Sox 13 Boston 2....we all know it was 14-2

2) The last chapter is called "Curse is Reversed" Memo: THERE WAS NEVER A CURSE!!!!!!!

3) He references the Sox/Cubs game where the Sox came back from being down 8-0 and winning the game. While this is true he also puts in that same game Osuna striking out Sosa with a runner at third base and then doing his twist. The "Osuna Sosa Strike Out Twist" was the following day. He has it in the same game.

JB98
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I have 3 issues from scanning through the book the other day at Borders...

1) Roeper writes the final score of Game 1 of the ALDS White Sox 13 Boston 2....we all know it was 14-2

2) The last chapter is called "Curse is Reversed" Memo: THERE WAS NEVER A CURSE!!!!!!!

3) He references the Sox/Cubs game where the Sox came back from being down 8-0 and winning the game. While this is true he also puts in that same game Osuna striking out Sosa with a runner at third base and then doing his twist. The "Osuna Sosa Strike Out Twist" was the following day. He has it in the same game.

Yeah, I noticed the Osuna thing when I read the book. He has some factual inaccuracies, but if you're a Sox fan, the book is a fairly entertaining read.

chisoxmike
07-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I noticed the Osuna thing when I read the book. He has some factual inaccuracies, but if you're a Sox fan, the book is a fairly entertaining read.

Yeah, overall its a pretty good book. I enjoy Roeper's writing in general.

JB98
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, overall its a pretty good book. I enjoy Roeper's writing in general.

It only took me a couple of evenings to finish the book. I enjoyed his recollections of being a Sox fan in the 1960s and 1970s. That was before my time, so it was educational to read what he had to say about that era.

Chips
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Here is an earlier thread about it (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73260)

barryball
07-13-2006, 10:47 AM
I really enjoyed the book and sent Richard a note, see below:

Hi Richard,

I just finished your book “Sox in The City” and enjoyed it immensely. We are similar in ages and in background to some extent. I was born in August of 1960 on the South Side (79th and Phillips) but we moved to Des Plaines when I was 4 due to “White Flight”. I now live in SW Michigan. Your stories bring back fond memories of my youth playing fast-pitch off-the wall baseball everyday and being a pretty good little league pitcher from ages 9 to 16. I also tried out for semi-pro team but didn’t have the time to play. I did play on a NABA team in my 30’s for a few years

I remember going to games with my family bringing sandwiches and sitting in the left-field grandstands. We would always park in the neighborhood for free and always get there early for BP. I remember going to Bat and Helmet days in 70, 71 and 72 the crowds were always large for those events. I remember Harry Caray in the bleachers as well. Dick Allen was my favorite but I also remember Bee Bee Richards, Walt Williams. Buddy Bradford and of course Carlos May who lived in my neighborhood in Des Plaines. The 1972 team was awesome; it was great to be a Sox fan that year.

As a kid (13) to young adult (25) I sold souvenirs at stands outside both Wrigley and Comiskey Park from 1974 to 1985. My stand at Comiskey was outside Gate 9 and at Wrigley it was at “Yum Yum Donuts” and where “Sports World”. As usual my dad was a life-long Sox and I inherited the same fanaticism. I had a wonderful time as a kid since I went to almost every White Sox game from 1974 to 1981 I would get it through the “press gate” as I knew all the Andy Frain’s and Cops who worked the games. The 1977 South Side Hit-Men was the most fun it was just great to be at those games. It seemed like we won every game 10 to 8 being done by 3 or 4 going into the 7th or 8th innings. I probably sold you one of the South Side Hit Men” shirts. Harry would get out in front of my stand before the games and I remember Jorge Orta taking cabs to the game. One time he must have won a Color TV and he needed help getting it in the car. The players lot was right next to gate 9 so it was seeing all the players like Zisk, Gamble etc…One of the best parts of working the games is I would typically go in for BP and always get a ball or two. In addition foul balls always came over into the parking lots by Gate 9. I also was able to get foul balls at Wrigley.

I was at the “Disco Demolition” game, the cops made us close up the stand since the crowds were getting wild. I would say there was 50,000 outside and 50,000 inside. I remember people climbing the walls by climbing the fences by the player’s parking lot but as you said for the most part people were fairly tame.

In 1983 I was NIU watching the Britt Burns game at the “Jungle” and couldn’t believe we lost. I went to the first play-off in 1993 scalping tickets for the upper deck but as you know we lost. In 2000 I had tickets for game 5 if they made it back from Seattle and second tickets if they got that far, you know the story there. For the past few years I have shared in a season ticket plan section 121 row 19. I had tickets to the 2003 All-Star game but sold them for a nice profit. In 2005 I was on vacation in the Bahaman’s just like you (Atlantis) for the World Series games, I had game 6 tickets if it came back. I did get to go to the game 2 of the ALDS (Gaffanino grounder and Tadahito 3 run homer) and ALCS (AJ’s dropped third strike hustle). Right before the AJ dropped third strike play I looked up to the sky and said to my dad in heaven (he died in January 1998) we need some help right now and what do you know AJ gets on and Crede comes through with what I thought was a HR as well!!!

I rooted for the Padres in 1984, The Giants in 1989. In 2003 I was very scared the Cubs would make it the WS and the Sox would essentially shrivel up and die but faith worked out and the Cubs are where they belong and the our Sox are on-top.

Thanks for sharing and reliving al the memories!

A Fellow Sox Fan,

Barry Michaels

bryPt
07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
he was on with North yesterday, and said that this will be a book with many revisions. He knows of a few things that he needed to change, so they are going to do a second pressing or whatever to correct the errors.

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
he was on with North yesterday, and said that this will be a book with many revisions. He knows of a few things that he needed to change, so they are going to do a second pressing or whatever to correct the errors.

Phil Rogers's book, "Say It's So" also had some errors. This most likely is because these books had to be rushed out after the World Series. I haven't read "Sox in the City" yet, but the errors in Rogers's book didn't prevent me from ultimately enjoying it.

WS in 05
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Phil Rogers's book, "Say It's So" also had some errors. This most likely is because these books had to be rushed out after the World Series. I haven't read "Sox in the City" yet, but the errors in Rogers's book didn't prevent me from ultimately enjoying it.

off subject but what did you think of say its so?

tacosalbarojas
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Phil Rogers's book, "Say It's So" also had some errors. This most likely is because these books had to be rushed out after the World Series. I haven't read "Sox in the City" yet, but the errors in Rogers's book didn't prevent me from ultimately enjoying it.Rushed out may be valid for Phil but I can't give Roeper that excuse. It's been long enough already. Calling Lance Johnson 'Lamar' was one mistake that caught my eye, jeepers!

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Rushed out may be valid for Phil but I can't give Roeper that excuse. It's been long enough already. Calling Lance Johnson 'Lamar' was one mistake that caught my eye, jeepers!

Yeah, that's pretty bad! :o:

And WS in 05, I liked Phil's book. I bought it in Chicago the night before I returned to Phoenix, meaning to read it on the plane, but once I started it, the memories from last season came flooding back. I couldn't stop, and I read it in one sitting. (I read fast.)

WS in 05
07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that's pretty bad! :o:

And WS in 05, I liked Phil's book. I bought it in Chicago the night before I returned to Phoenix, meaning to read it on the plane, but once I started it, the memories from last season came flooding back. I couldn't stop, and I read it in one sitting. (I read fast.)

worth purchasing same for roepers book?

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 12:36 PM
worth purchasing same for roepers book?

I haven't read Roeper's, but plan to buy it. I paid $24.95 for Phil's book, but that was at the B&N in Old Orchard. I'm sure it's cheaper through Amazon, or you can wait to see if a paperback version comes out, if all you want it for is a read. I wanted the hardcover because it's a souvenir of the best summer I've ever had. :cool: