PDA

View Full Version : Yankees looking at Abreu (NY Daily News)

Fenway
07-12-2006, 08:11 PM
The Yankees have also gotten a strong recommendationon Abreu from his former manager Larry Bowa, who believes the 32-year-old right fielder would thrive in a situation where he doesn't have to be the top gun.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/434499p-366047c.html

Paulwny
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Interesting, in the article:

The Yankees are one of the few teams making waves here. For the third straight year, there were hardly any GMs at the All-Star Game, and the consensus is it's going to be another "down" market at the trading deadline. The have-not Pirates (Craig Wilson and Jeromy Burnitz), Royals (Reggie Sanders) and Devil Rays (Aubrey Huffand Julio Lugo) are all hoping to get top prospects for their expendable hitters,

RKMeibalane
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Interesting, in the article:

The Yankees are one of the few teams making waves here. For the third straight year, there were hardly any GMs at the All-Star Game, and the consensus is it's going to be another "down" market at the trading deadline. The have-not Pirates (Craig Wilson and Jeromy Burnitz), Royals (Reggie Sanders) and Devil Rays (Aubrey Huffand Julio Lugo) are all hoping to get top prospects for their expendable hitters,

I wasn't sure if you saw this, but the D-Rays have traded Huff to Houston. It doesn't appear as though they really asked for that much in return, as it was common knowledge that Huff would opt out of his contract after this season and test the market.

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Hmmm, BIG Reggie Sanders fan here. And we could use a back-up outfielder. It'd be nice to have him if--God forbid!--one of our guys went down. I know he's a right-fielder, but I can't remember if he's ever played center or left. Anybody?

MERPER
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Left=yes
Center=NO

RKMeibalane
07-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Hmmm, BIG Reggie Sanders fan here. And we could use a back-up outfielder. It'd be nice to have him if--God forbid!--one of our guys went down. I know he's a right-fielder, but I can't remember if he's ever played center or left. Anybody?

He did play CF during the first year or so of his career, when he was with the Reds.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Hmmm, BIG Reggie Sanders fan here. And we could use a back-up outfielder. It'd be nice to have him if--God forbid!--one of our guys went down. I know he's a right-fielder, but I can't remember if he's ever played center or left. Anybody?He's 38 (where does the time go?) and declining fast.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
He's 38 (where does the time go?) and declining fast.

That was my thought, as well. The Sox don't need to stockpile more of the OF/1B/DH type that they had during the Frank years.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2006, 05:27 PM
That was my thought, as well. The Sox don't need to stockpile more of the OF/1B/DH type that they had during the Frank years.http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_136766.jpg Why are you looking at me?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2006, 05:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_136766.jpg Why are you looking at me?

:roflmao:

MarySwiss
07-13-2006, 06:08 PM
That was my thought, as well. The Sox don't need to stockpile more of the OF/1B/DH type that they had during the Frank years.

I'm not saying "stockpile"; I'm saying "rent." If the price is right, you get a guy who is two years older than Griffey, Jr.--and without the injury history--as a back-up outfielder--which we need. And he has some pop, averages 28 HRs a year. Also extensive playoff experience.

So, depending on what the Royals would want, I think we could do worse.

Ol' No. 2
07-13-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm not saying "stockpile"; I'm saying "rent." If the price is right, you get a guy who is two years older than Griffey, Jr.--and without the injury history--as a back-up outfielder--which we need. And he has some pop, averages 28 HRs a year. Also extensive playoff experience.

So, depending on what the Royals would want, I think we could do worse.9 HR so far this year in 240 AB. And he's hitting .250. Nah.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
:redneck I'm not saying "stockpile"; I'm saying "rent." If the price is right, you get a guy who is two years older than Griffey, Jr.--and without the injury history--as a back-up outfielder--which we need. And he has some pop, averages 28 HRs a year. Also extensive playoff experience.

So, depending on what the Royals would want, I think we could do worse.
im pretty sure Reggie is under contract for next year too. How else were the Royals gonna get him?

SouthSoxFan
07-14-2006, 05:51 PM
:redneck
im pretty sure Reggie is under contract for next year too. How else were the Royals gonna get him?

Yep, signed a 2-year deal at $5 million per year.