PDA

View Full Version : Bud Selig's Q & A

SouthSide_HitMen
07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1552283&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

A White Sox fan asked if they would consider reducing the interleague schedule to enable more games within the league. Bud said he is the "Father of Interleague" and stated attendance was 18% higher. Comparing attendance for games played in late May / June vs. the first six cold weeks of the season is ludicrous.

His objective was to allow NL fans to see the Yankees and Red Sox (i.e. sell more Brewers tickets). :rolleyes:

Other Questions / Answers:

He is optimistic about the CBA (Good)
MLB considered instant replay and have rejected it (Good)
Steroids - Not a crisis because MLB has record attendance (Pathetic)
Division Playoffs will remain at 5 games (unless the season would be shortened which no owners want)
DH will remain split (until a dramatic geographical realignment takes place :o: )
They are pushing the "World Baseball Classic" to late March. (they should scrap it IMO). Another fan suggested moving this debacle to November since players should be preparing for the season in March. Bud Selig disagreed.
He tried to defend awarding home field to the All Star Game and failed miserably. He lashed out against Manny (not to mention his idiotic comment about pitchers being held out on the Sunday during another interview).
The Detroit Tigers is his favorite first half story. :rolleyes:
Someone asked if players should shake hands after the World Series (like the NHL). He said baseball people would be opposed to that.
The most ludicrous response was the MC stating the questions are becoming more positive each year (they cherry pick the email questions).
Should a floor exist for salaries? Bud says the union is opposed to it (he didn't address the fact that revenue sharing must be spent on players per the CBA)

jenn2080
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
HE is an idiot. I def think interleague should be shorter but it is fun to see new parks that you would not go to normally.

As far as the WBC It is dumb do away with it. Players should be getting ready for the season not the World Baseball Classics.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1552283&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

A White Sox fan asked if they would consider reducing the interleague schedule to enable more games within the league. Bud said he is the "Father of Interleague" and stated attendance was 18% higher. Comparing attendance for games played in late May / June vs. the first six cold weeks of the season is ludicrous.

His objective was to allow NL fans to see the Yankees and Red Sox (i.e. sell more Brewers tickets). :rolleyes:

Other Questions / Answers:

He is optimistic about the CBA (Good)
MLB considered instant replay and have rejected it (Good)
Steroids - Not a crisis because MLB has record attendance (Pathetic)
Division Playoffs will remain at 5 games (unless the season would be shortened which no owners want)
DH will remain split (until a dramatic geographical realignment takes place :o: )
They are pushing the "World Baseball Classic" to late March. (they should scrap it IMO). Another fan suggested moving this debacle to November since players should be preparing for the season in March. Bud Selig disagreed.
He tried to defend awarding home field to the All Star Game and failed miserably. He lashed out against Manny (not to mention his idiotic comment about pitchers being held out on the Sunday during another interview).
Someone asked if players should shake hands after the World Series (like the NHL). He said baseball people would be opposed to that.
The most ludicrous response was the MC stating the questions are becoming more positive each year (they cherry pick the email questions).
Should a floor exist for salaries? Bud says the union is opposed to it (he didn't address the fact that revenue sharing must be spent on players per the CBA)

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I really disagree with the WBC in november, its colder to play and coldness increases the risk of injury, and for the playoff teams, they are playing longer than expected. WBC can be viewed as competitive spring training

nasox
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM

What is wrong with that. They are a good story.

SoxFanPrope
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Oh how I loathe Bud Selig.

MYBOYAJ
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM

Agreed. It makes for a much more compelling season for us too, plus enriching the rivalry between the 2nd City and, er, whatever Detroit is.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-12-2006, 03:20 PM

In all fairness you (and Bud) are right on this one.

I'm glad it will remain a first half story as the season progresses. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I really disagree with the WBC in november, its colder to play and coldness increases the risk of injury, and for the playoff teams, they are playing longer than expected. WBC can be viewed as competitive spring training

Play the games in warm weather cities and/or domes. In fact, November typically is warmer in many U.S. cities than March. Or, better yet, do away with it.

SoxFanPrope
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Play the games in warm weather cities and/or domes. In fact, November typically is warmer in many U.S. cities than March. Or, better yet, do away with it.
Hmm, I like your ideas and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

RichFitztightly
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Agreed. It makes for a much more compelling season for us too, plus enriching the rivalry between the 2nd City and, er, whatever Detroit is.

Hmmmmm, Motor City?

mjmcend
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
The only thing that bothers me about that interview is his steroid comment. All that matters is attendence and the dollar? What about integrity? Honesty? Health? Respect for history? What an idiot and a tool. If her really believes things like that, it is really hard for me to believe that someone so devoid of human substance could really become such an important figure. He should go back to selling used cars. What a joke of a man.

MYBOYAJ
07-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Hmmmmm, Motor City?

Actually I meant population wise not nickname. I know it's #11 and Chicago has been #3 for many years. I know my comment was confusing.

tebman
07-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Separated at Birth?

Did Bud Selig really play Al Bundy? Take off the glasses and comb the hair back -- you be the judge!

http://www.planetamd64.com/uploads/post-2638-1127185515_thumb.jpg http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/selig_bud0520.jpg

What a mope that guy is. Clumsy disingenuousness, thy name is Bud. :D:

itsnotrequired
07-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Audio of the Q&A is available online (along with a Jim Leyland interview).

http://dds.mlb.com/mp3/mlbr_daily/071106_mlbr.mp3

SouthSide_HitMen
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Audio of the Q&A is available online (along with a Jim Leyland interview).

http://dds.mlb.com/mp3/mlbr_daily/071106_mlbr.mp3

Yes, I linked and summarized it above to save the site from having to listen to Bud Selig for close to an hour.

itsnotrequired
07-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, I linked and summarized it above to save the site from having to listen to Bud Selig for close to an hour.

Actually, Selig only talks for about 20 minutes in the mp3 file.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, Selig only talks for about 20 minutes in the mp3 file.

With Bud talking, it felt like an hour :D: (the version on my link is 27 minutes).