PDA

View Full Version : Trading Season Begins: Huff to Astros

PushnThaEscalade
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
For a few minor leaguers. don't have a link yet, but it was discussed on ESPN 2 as breaking news.

Deuce
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
For a few minor leaguers. don't have a link yet, but it was discussed on ESPN 2 as breaking news.Looks like Houston is going to make another big second half push.

Baby Fisk
07-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Looks like Houston is going to make another big second half push.
They will be in the World Series again.

PushnThaEscalade
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure about that. maybe i'm fooled by the Mets and their dominance of the pathetic NL.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
wow, good deal for the 'stros. Huff's a good player and should really help them score some runs for Rocket/Oswalt.

That'd be awesome to see another Sox/Astros WS.

Randar68
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
For a few minor leaguers. don't have a link yet, but it was discussed on ESPN 2 as breaking news.

Where the heck is he going to play? 1B?

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure about that. maybe i'm fooled by the Mets and their dominance of the pathetic NL.

If the Mets and Astros face off in a seven game series, the Astros will come out on top. The Mets can't match Oswalt/Clemens/Pettitte.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 10:14 AM

Rightfield?? Doesn't matter where he plays, he awful in the field...

ondafarm
07-12-2006, 10:14 AM
The two minor leaguers are both AA players currently, but doing well and likely to be at AAA soon. It looks like Tampa is doing everything it can to strengthen its AAA franchise, the Durham Bulls.

spiffie
07-12-2006, 10:17 AM
http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2517046&name=FPT-2517046-071211&srvc=sz

Aubrey Huff goes to Houston for two minor leaguers. Interesting in that its the Devil Rays not demanding the entire farm for any one of their players. They could end up being bigger players this season than usual in trade discussions if this continues.

Edit: I see this thread was instead lurking in WTS. Please merge this.

Baby Fisk
07-12-2006, 10:17 AM
If the Mets and Astros face off in a seven game series, the Astros will come out on top. The Mets can't match Oswalt/Clemens/Pettitte.
Exactly. Unless the Mets trade for another elite pitcher, they don't have a strong enough rotation to win a playoff series.

champagne030
07-12-2006, 10:18 AM
wow, good deal for the 'stros. Huff's a good player and should really help them score some runs for Rocket/Oswalt.

That'd be awesome to see another Sox/Astros WS.

Damn, I was hoping the rumor of him going to the Kittens would've gone down. He's brutal in the field and his hitting is extremely overrated.

patbooyah
07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Damn, I was hoping the rumor of him going to the Kittens would've gone down. He's brutal in the field and his hitting is extremely overrated.

in the first half his hitting IS overrated. but in the second half there is no way i'd want to play against him.

walrus
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I think this is a great move for the 'Stros. They needed a bat, and dude will destroy NL pitching.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
in the first half his hitting IS overrated. but in the second half there is no way i'd want to play against him.

Since 2003...

pre-All Star Break: 278 AVG - 341 OBP - 453 SLG - 38 HR - 147 RBI
post-All Star Break: 306 AVG - 361 OBP - 546 SLG - 47HR - 156 RBI

He gets better in the second half. By way of comparison, Lance Berkman has very similar splits...

pre-All Star Break: 290 AVG - 420 OBP - 514 SLG - 39 HR - 151 RBI
post-All Star Break: 309 AVG - 431 OBP - 558 SLG - 40 HR - 130 RBI

I wonder what a move to the mighty NL Central will do for his hitting....

Dan Mega
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2517046

Jjav829
07-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Great move by the Astros. I've said it for years; Huff will flourish once he gets away from the Devil Rays.

russ99
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM

I hope so.... and lose to the White Sox again! :D:

Great deal for my second-favorite team. They really needed to do something they way they've been playing since the White Sox series.
They didn't give up much, either and Jason Lane sorely needed to go to AAA. I hope Ensberg stays, though. He's the big rumor target now with Huff at 3B.

Britt Burns
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
The two minor leaguers the D-Rays got are good, but niether are premium prospects. I note this only beacuse last year the Rays were shopping Huff for an insanely high price, something like him for BMac and/or Chris Young (can't remember which), and a couple of lesser prospects.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
The two minor leaguers the D-Rays got are good, but niether are premium prospects. I note this only beacuse last year the Rays were shopping Huff for an insanely high price, something like him for Fingernails on a blackboard and/or Chris Young (can't remember which), and a couple of lesser prospects.

The DRays had no intentions of re-signing Huff this off-season. Might as well get something for him while they could... Last year, he had a lot more value because he had an option for 2006 and was fairly cheap at 6 million. But you are right, the DRays rumored asking price was ridiculous.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Apparently the talk has also started about the Astros getting Soriano for some of their good minor league prospects. ESPN was reporting it this morning.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Too good a move for the Astros, they might try and jettison Jason Lane after this.

oeo
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM

I thought they would be there before this trade. Of all the NL teams we played, the Astros were by far the best one. They don't put up real big offensive numbers (Huff will help), but their pitching is unbelievable and they show a lot of fight on the offensive side.

I hope we have an Astros-Sox rematch.

PaulDrake
07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Who are the prospects and I wonder how Rays fans are taking this? Major League Baseball in Florida is a disaster.

Jjav829
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Who are the prospects and I wonder how Rays fans are taking this? Major League Baseball in Florida is a disaster.

I doubt they're taking it too hard. I think Rays fans have known for the better part of 2 years that Huff was gone once his contract ran out. It's not like this was a surprise. They knew it was just a matter of where and when.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM

What Rays fans? :cool:

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Seems like they are pretty happy with the deal, as much as they hate to see Huff leave town:
http://www.raysbaseball.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4897

SouthSide_HitMen
07-12-2006, 01:28 PM
They could have gotten a lot more last season if their former GM wasn't such a Putz.

Shouldn't this thread be in Talking Baseball now that it's official.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060712&content_id=1554133&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Craig Grebeck
07-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Jason Lane would look nice on the bench or in left field.

Tragg
07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
And let us notice that the Astros got one of the best hitters available AND got Tampa to pick up salary and the Astros gave up neither a)any of their best young players or b)any of their creme de la creme prospects.

Translation - we should be able to improve our club without silly stuff of trading McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, Sweeney or Broadway.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM

:tealpolice:

:rolleyes: Yea, that 200 batting average in the NL Central would trnsfer well into the AL Central...

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
And let us notice that the Astros got one of the best hitters available AND got Tampa to pick up salary and the Astros gave up neither a)any of their best young players or b)any of their creme de la creme prospects.

Translation - we should be able to improve our club without silly stuff of trading McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, Sweeney or Broadway.

This appears to be a pretty good trade for both teams. Houston gets a lefthanded slugger who can field a number of positions and solidifies the midle of their order - without giving up a whole lot.

Tampa Bay clears up a roster spot and can let some of their kids play the rest of the year. Now all they have to do is move Lugo and Upton/Young will be playing through the end of the year. That seems to be the talk over at the DRays site.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Yes, but that's because Huff will become a free agent this offseason.

Huff fits in with what the Astros do with Lamb, Berkman, et. al. He's a guy who can hit who can play a bunch of different positions; he can rotate among first, third, left and right.

Jjav829
07-12-2006, 04:07 PM

I wouldn't give up much for him, but Lane is almost the perfect guy to replace Gload and give us that right-handed bat with power off the bench. If he can be had for cheap, I would be all for Kenny getting Lane.

ma-gaga
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Some Twins fans are looking at Houston's roster with idea's of trying to swipe one of their 3rd basemen...

I would love to see a Torii Hunter for Morgan Ensberg deal for the Twins. I'm just not sure if the Twins front office has the balls to pull off a deal like that.

:gulp:

palehozenychicty
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM

Exactly.

rowand33
07-12-2006, 04:31 PM
man that's a good deal for the Astros.

Huff has really found it lately after a rough start.

hitting .367 since June 1st and a great second half player ever year.

Put him in the NL Central, playing half of his games at Minute Maid...

good stuff.

russ99
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't give up much for him, but Lane is almost the perfect guy to replace Gload and give us that right-handed bat with power off the bench. If he can be had for cheap, I would be all for Kenny getting Lane.
As the resident Sox/Astro fan, I'd say Lane would be a bad idea for the Sox until he gets some more hitting experience in the minors. He has had zero plate discipline all year, despite his occasional flashes of power, hence the .200 average.

The upside for Lane is that his career numbers have followed pretty much the same track as Berkman so far, until this current season.

Of all the Astros, the Sox would do best with a (formerly solid) bullpen guy like Dan Wheeler or Chad Qualls.

I know Willy Tavarez has been mentioned as a possible Sox acquisition, but his defense is suspect at best, his attitude has been a problem this season and his most of his hits last year consisted of bunts. He's always making wrong jumps in CF and trying to use his speed to make up for it. They rushed him to the majors. Brian Anderson is light-years further along in his development than Tavarez.

I'd love to see Torii Hunter on the Astros.

TDog
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Maybe they signed him to pinch hit in extra innings in the World Series.

russ99
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Maybe they signed him to pinch hit in extra innings in the World Series.
Huff will play 3B until Ensberg is recovered from his shoulder injury or is traded, and also 1B with Berkman getting some starts in the OF. The guy squeezed of at bats in this deal, besides Lane, is Mike Lamb (3B/1B).

Craig Grebeck
07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
:tealpolice:

:rolleyes: Yea, that 200 batting average in the NL Central would trnsfer well into the AL Central...
Well, he's hitting .205 and getting on base at .330, so his pitch selection has been incredible. Also, look at his splits, his Post All-Star Break OPS is .934.

Mohoney
07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Exactly. Unless the Mets trade for another elite pitcher, they don't have a strong enough rotation to win a playoff series.

If the Mets cruise in a 1st round sweep of whoever wins the Wild Card, and end up playing the Astros, they could hypothetically start Pedro in Games 1, 4, and 7, Glavine in Games 2 and 6, and give El Duque and Trachsel one start each. That's not too shabby, plus I would give Wagner the edge over Lidge.

I think that the Mets would actually take a series against the Astros.

SABRSox
07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I bet the Astros finally put Ensberg on the DL sometime after this trade. He's got some serious shoulder problems he's playing through, and it doesn't make sense to put him on the field when Huff is superior with both the bat and the glove.

champagne030
07-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I bet the Astros finally put Ensberg on the DL sometime after this trade. He's got some serious shoulder problems he's playing through, and it doesn't make sense to put him on the field when Huff is superior with both the bat and the glove.

:bong:

Huff at 3rd is the equivilant of Gload in CF. Ensberg is also a far better hitter than Huff. Huff is a DH in decline who should face righties only.