PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner Selig: Yankee Stadium Could be Site of '08 ASG

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
According to a Sporting News Radio update just now, Bud Selig hinted that Yankee Stadium could play host to the 2008 All Star Game. EDIT: It would be in the current Yankee Stadium, as the new stadium for the Bronx Bombers is slated to open in 2009.

Meanwhile, San Francisco is hosting the 2007 ASG and I believe St. Louis will host it in 2009.

PKalltheway
07-12-2006, 01:49 AM
According to a Sporting News Radio update just now, Bud Selig hinted that Yankee Stadium could play host to the 2008 All Star Game. EDIT: It would be in the current Yankee Stadium, as the new stadium for the Bronx Bombers is slated to open in 2009.

Meanwhile, San Francisco is hosting the 2007 ASG and I believe St. Louis will host it in 2009.
That sounds about right because by 2008, the Yankees would have gone 31 years without an All-Star game. Only the Cardinals (1966), Mets (1964), and Royals (1973) have gone longer without hosting the Midsummer Classic. You could probably throw Washington in there too, since the last time the city hosted the All-Star game was in 1969.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2006, 02:22 AM
That sounds about right because by 2008, the Yankees would have gone 31 years without an All-Star game. Only the Cardinals (1966), Mets (1964), and Royals (1973) have gone longer without hosting the Midsummer Classic. You could probably throw Washington in there too, since the last time the city hosted the All-Star game was in 1969.

RFK Stadium is crap, though. There's no way Selig lets the Nats' host a game until they get a new stadium or make significant changes to the one they have.

TheOldRoman
07-12-2006, 02:59 AM
RFK Stadium is crap, though. There's no way Selig lets the Nats' host a game until they get a new stadium or make significant changes to the one they have.
I don't know if you missed it, but they got the stadium deal finalized. They are trying to get it built in time for the 2009 season.
And besides, Yankee Stadium is one of the biggest ****holes of them all. If that ugly, filthy, disgusting place gets to host a game, they might as well give it to RFK. I know they want to pay tribute to the park, but they should just wait for the new one to open.

I would imagine the Mets will get a game in either 09 or 10.

jenn2080
07-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I have no problem with the All Star game being in NY. They havent had it in YEARS so why not.

wdelaney72
07-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't know if you missed it, but they got the stadium deal finalized. They are trying to get it built in time for the 2009 season.
And besides, Yankee Stadium is one of the biggest ****holes of them all. If that ugly, filthy, disgusting place gets to host a game, they might as well give it to RFK. I know they want to pay tribute to the park, but they should just wait for the new one to open.

It can't be any worse then Fenway, and they hosted an All-Star game not that long ago.

I haven't been to Yankee stadium, but my Mom went in 2000 and said she found it be old, but felt it was well-kept.

SkeetSkeetAmit
07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
NY is fine by me.

But why is it in San Fran next year. They should rotate from AL to NL ballparks each year.

gobears1987
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
NY deserves one. After all, the Sox have had 2 since NY had their last one. (I bet we get the 2033 ASG.)

RKMeibalane
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM

Oh, okay. I didn't see that. That's good they'll have somewhere else to play.

areilly
07-12-2006, 06:25 PM
NY deserves one. After all, the Sox have had 2 since NY had their last one. (I bet we get the 2033 ASG.)

But the Sox hosted it in two different parks. Yankee Stadium hasn't changed a whole lot since 1977, save for the first part of the "__ Time World Champions" lettering getting painted over a few times.

bigfoot
07-12-2006, 06:35 PM

I can see the headline now........

Ozzie Guillen to Manage
Record 28th Consecutive All-Star Game

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

CLR01
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
But the Sox hosted it in two different parks. Yankee Stadium hasn't changed a whole lot since 1977, save for the first part of the "__ Time World Champions" lettering getting painted over a few times.

So only new parks that have never hosted one before should get the All-Star game?? Teams have to build new stadiums, or at least a major renovation, every 30 years to host one? Pissing into the wind makes more sense than that.

TheDarkGundam
07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I can see the headline now........

Ozzie Guillen to Manage
Record 28th Consecutive All-Star Game

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
Note the lack of Pipe-Dream-Pink
:thumbsup:

chisoxmike
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
NY is fine by me.

But why is it in San Fran next year. They should rotate from AL to NL ballparks each year.

The plan was to showcase the new ballparks.

areilly
07-13-2006, 01:11 AM
So only new parks that have never hosted one before should get the All-Star game?? Teams have to build new stadiums, or at least a major renovation, every 30 years to host one? Pissing into the wind makes more sense than that.

No, I was just pointing out a possible reason why the Sox would have hosted two since Yankee Stadium's most recent and upcoming ASG's. We all know Selig has been on a new-parks-or-else kick throughout his tenure, so it is apparent how this could've happened.

But off the top of my head I can think of Miami, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay as cities which have yet to host an ASG. Odd that two of those have hosted a combined three World Series though...

Max Power
07-13-2006, 01:04 PM
No, I was just pointing out a possible reason why the Sox would have hosted two since Yankee Stadium's most recent and upcoming ASG's. We all know Selig has been on a new-parks-or-else kick throughout his tenure, so it is apparent how this could've happened.

But off the top of my head I can think of Miami, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay as cities which have yet to host an ASG. Odd that two of those have hosted a combined three World Series though...

I'm surprised that Arizona hasn't hosted since they have a new stadium. I've never even heard them mentioned as being in the running to host. No chance the Marlins get it until they get a new stadium, in FLA or elsewhere. Tampa is stuck in the dome for another 25 years (if I remember the terms of their lease correctly). I'm sure MLB doesn't want to show off that awful stadium, but TB will have to get it eventually- dome or not.

ewokpelts
07-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised that Arizona hasn't hosted since they have a new stadium. I've never even heard them mentioned as being in the running to host. No chance the Marlins get it until they get a new stadium, in FLA or elsewhere. Tampa is stuck in the dome for another 25 years (if I remember the terms of their lease correctly). I'm sure MLB doesn't want to show off that awful stadium, but TB will have to get it eventually- dome or not.AZ is also being punished.
They threw out a major ally of Bud/Reinsdorf...Jerry Colangelo, and brought in an AGENT, Jeff Moorad, in to run them.
Plus, he did give AZ the WBC games most likely to sell well in the US: US vs Canada and Mexico.

San Diego probably wont get an ASG anytime soon because they got the WBC finals.

Gene

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I have no problem with the All Star game being in NY. They havent had it in YEARS so why not.

because they'll get to host it again in a few years in their new stadium. That's why not.

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2006, 02:23 PM
AZ is also being punished.
They threw out a major ally of Bud/Reinsdorf...Jerry Colangelo, and brought in an AGENT, Jeff Moorad, in to run them.
Plus, he did give AZ the WBC games most likely to sell well in the US: US vs Canada and Mexico.

San Diego probably wont get an ASG anytime soon because they got the WBC finals.

Gene

There's no doubt that AZ is being punished, however I've heard it was because of Colangelo, not because they got rid of him. I've read that Selig didn't like the fact that Colangelo wouldn't agree to move to the AL (Selig wanted them to move) and Selig also didn't like the fact that MLB had to guarantee a loan the D-backs took out to stay afloat, when Colangelo was in charge. This makes sense to me, because if Selig liked Colangelo, the D-backs would have been awarded the game a long time ago. There are already several stadiums that opened after the D-backs stadium, that have already hosted the game.

ewokpelts
07-13-2006, 02:55 PM
There's no doubt that AZ is being punished, however I've heard it was because of Colangelo, not because they got rid of him. I've read that Selig didn't like the fact that Colangelo wouldn't agree to move to the AL (Selig wanted them to move) and Selig also didn't like the fact that MLB had to guarantee a loan the D-backs took out to stay afloat, when Colangelo was in charge. This makes sense to me, because if Selig liked Colangelo, the D-backs would have been awarded the game a long time ago. There are already several stadiums that opened after the D-backs stadium, that have already hosted the game.
Colengelo may have been an ass, but getting Moorad was a BIG MISTAKE.

The best thing colangelo may have done was blocking Arte Moreno from owning a bigger stake in the Dbacks. By doing that, the angels (and thier fans) got a great owner.

Gene

ChiSoxLifer
07-13-2006, 03:04 PM
I was thinking, Chicago is making a huge push to host the 2016 Olympics. The requirement is to have stadiums large enough to host opening and closing events. By that time, The Cell or New Comiskey as you would call it, will be 25 years old. I'm not sure which ones, but I believe some stadiums have been replaced that were less than 25 years old. I would think the area south of Soldiers Field would be a fantastic place to put up a spanking new park for the White Sox. What do you guys think?

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Colengelo may have been an ass, but getting Moorad was a BIG MISTAKE.

The best thing colangelo may have done was blocking Arte Moreno from owning a bigger stake in the Dbacks. By doing that, the angels (and thier fans) got a great owner.

Gene

I'm not saying that I like having Moorad over Colangelo (because I don't). Colangelo is a great guy and has done some great things for the city of Phx. I was simply pointing out that Selig didn't like Colangelo and that's what has kept the A/S game away from Phx.

As much as like Colangelo, I do wish that if he knew he couldn't keep control of the team, he would have let Moreno buy him out instead of Kendrick (Moorad).