PDA

View Full Version : Joey Cora hits Zambrano with a fungo bat; taken for X-Rays

Demafrost
07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/4040701.html

Chicago Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano had to be taken for X-rays and was deemed unavailable to pitch Tuesday after being struck on his throwing elbow by a fungo bat swung by Joey Cora.

You wish you could make this stuff up. Possibly some revenge for AJ-Barrett?

Viva Medias B's
07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
A quick search of Carlos Zambrano on the WSI forums did not yield this (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/4040701.html), but I apologize if someone did already post it. On the link, scroll to the "Fungo trouble" sub-headline.

Norberto7
07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I assume he snuck into the NL clubhouse to do this, or maybe while Zambrano was warming up in the bullpen...

gobears1987
07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Are you sure Cora didn't take a bite out of his leg?

I love Joey Cora. Best 3rd base coach in MLB.

DrCrawdad
07-11-2006, 11:36 PM
A quick search of Carlos Zambrano on the WSI forums did not yield this (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/4040701.html), but I apologize if someone did already post it. On the link, scroll to the "Fungo trouble" sub-headline.

Chicago Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano had to be taken for X-rays and was deemed unavailable to pitch Tuesday after being struck on his throwing elbow by a fungo bat swung by Joey Cora.

Was it an accident?

MrRoboto83
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow, i thought this was a joke.

WSox8404
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
I smell a few comical Tribune headlines coming my way......

Lyle Mouton
07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

QCIASOXFAN
07-11-2006, 11:41 PM
*****! That is so funny! I need to learn more about his story, he couldnt have picked a better jerk to do that to though.

Demafrost
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
This reminds me of Roberto Hernandez on Cal Ripken back in the mid-90's. The Sox like to show people who's the boss during the ASG :)

Demafrost
07-11-2006, 11:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungo

Joey Cora, White Sox 3rd-base coach used one to injure Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano.

:lol:

just a warning, it might be edited back by now seeing as its wiki

RKMeibalane
07-11-2006, 11:45 PM
He'll miss the rest of the season. Just watch. :cool:

Demafrost
07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
He'll miss the rest of the season. Just watch. :cool:

That seems to be how things go in Cubdom. Either that or Dusty will make him throw 140 pitches in his next start

jenn2080
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
what a shocker! isnt this this the story of the Flubs. It is probably going to be a big conspiricy with the Sox and the Cubs

jeremydavid
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Can somebody explain to me what a fungo bat is? How could something that sounds so untough cause an x-ray sort of situation?

HotelWhiteSox
07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Surprised that chicagosports.com isn't breaking/making a huge deal about this. Even this article wording is iffy. Obviously it was an accident or else it'd be a bigger deal by now, but the way they word it...

Speaking of chicagosports.com, top stories after the ASG: First story, a Dusty Baker at the Break story. Next, Mr. Diplomat, along the lines 'after a bunch of interviews Ozzie actually hasn't insulted anyone at the ASG'. No teal needed in the Write the Cubune Headline Thread

HotelWhiteSox
07-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Can somebody explain to me what a fungo bat is? How could something that sounds so untough cause an x-ray sort of situation?

From wikipedia, it is used "for practice purposes. The bat is not designed to hit thrown or pitched balls, rather it is designed to hit balls tossed up in the air. Typical fungo bats are 35-37 inches long and weigh 17-22 ounces. Coaches hit many balls during fielding practice and the weight and length allow for the coach to hit balls repeatedly with high accuracy".

Still wood, my cousin has one, but as that says, light and longer.

SpartanSoxFan
07-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Fungo" bat????

Joey, Joey, Joey...

First the alleged biting incident with Dempster, now this...

Hitmen77
07-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I hate Zambrano as much as the next guy, but I hope he's not hurt in a way that affects his pitching. To me, he's getting punished enough by being stuck on a loser franchise. I'm not going to gloat if he's hurt in a freak accident.

Also, if he is really hurt, that's all we need - more reason for the media to tar the Sox as "dirty cheaters".

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Mods, please merge.

DSpivack
07-12-2006, 12:02 AM

Thy should have followed the wiki link. A fungo bat is used in batting practice to shag flies.

nasox
I still don't get it. Was this done on purpose?

oeo
I hate Zambrano as much as the next guy, but I hope he's not hurt in a way that affects his pitching. To me, he's getting punished enough by being stuck on a loser franchise. I'm not going to gloat if he's hurt in a freak accident.

Also, if he is really hurt, that's all we need - more reason for the media to tar the Sox as "dirty cheaters".
I don't think anyone is gloating about it...just laughing about the irony. I wish no bad on him.

The Sox are "dirty cheaters" because of this? This story doesn't tell the whole story...I'm sure it was just an accident. I'm pretty sure Cora wouldn't be at the game if he hit someone with a bat on purpose. It also would have been a huge story.

DrCrawdad
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "Fungo" bat????

Joey, Joey, Joey...

First the alleged biting incident with Dempster, now this...

You don't know what fungo is? Here is what looks like...

http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/Watkins_FUNGO_BAT_Red.jpg

This is what a fungo is...

A fungo bat is specially designed bat used by baseball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball) and softball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softball) coaches for practice purposes. The bat is not designed to hit thrown or pitched balls, rather it is designed to hit balls tossed up in the air. Typical fungo bats are 35-37 inches long and weigh 17-22 ounces. Coaches hit many balls during fielding practice and the weight and length allow for the coach to hit balls repeatedly with high accuracy.

lukeman89
07-12-2006, 12:03 AM
you couldnt make stuff like this up.

you look at the title of the thread and you think "wow, does this bunghole think he is funny or something? put it in the cubune headline thread...holy crap its actually true."

slobes
07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Oh my God I just heard about this on the Score. You couldn't make this kind of thing up, it's that unbelievable.

santo=dorf
07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Surprised that chicagosports.com isn't breaking/making a huge deal about this. Even this article wording is iffy. Obviously it was an accident or else it'd be a bigger deal by now, but the way they word it...
George Knue and co. are currently working on an article linking Cora to Nancy Kerrigan.

Oh yeah, add Papelbon to your list. :cool:

soxfanreggie
07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Just wait til Cubs fans start complaining that it was "intentional". While it was a mistake, I'm sure, the big buffoon had it coming.

TornLabrum
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Thy should have followed the wiki link. A fungo bat is used in batting practice to shag flies.

If that's your idea of a good time....:redneck

DrCrawdad
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I smell a few comical Tribune headlines coming my way......

CARLOS GOT FUNGOED

:)

SOecks
07-12-2006, 12:26 AM
CARLOS GOT FUNGOED

Wouldn't it be more fitting, in typical internet nerd fasion to say "Carlos got fungOWNED"? :D:

CaptainBallz
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Wouldn't it be more fitting, in typical internet nerd fasion to say "Carlos got fungOWNED"? :D:

Did Cora point in the air afterwards?

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
ChicagoSports.com reports that Zambrano's x-rays were negative. Then again, Zambrano will tear his rotator cuff in his next start or two after Dusty makes him throw 167 pitches in six innings of work.

TornLabrum
07-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Wouldn't that be fungPWNED?

Dick Allen
07-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Flub fans probably wished it had hit him in the head, where it couldn't possibly have caused any damage.

Soxfanspcu11
07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Did Cora point in the air afterwards?

Yes. He then took his hat off, and screamed at Zamboner to "watch his elbow, and to keep his elbow under control."

Just then, Man Soo Lee came up and punched Carlos in the face, saying without hesitation, "I didn't have the ball bitch!".

And after that, the Tribune wrote a story with the following headline:

THE FUNGO BAT'S ANTICS HAVE GROWN OLD. EVERYONE AROUND THE LEAGUE IS SICK OF THE FUNGO BAT. JUST SITTING AROUND, ALL SKINNY, HITTING MEANINGLESS POP-UPS AND GROUND-OUTS FOR NO REASON. I THINK THAT MOST WOULD AGREE, THE FUNGO BAT HAS MORE THAN WORN OUT IT'S WELCOME.

DrCrawdad
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM

I was going for a play on the movie title, "Freddie Got Fingered."

Vernam
07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
From wikipedia, it is used "for practice purposes. The bat is not designed to hit thrown or pitched balls, rather it is designed to hit balls tossed up in the air. Typical fungo bats are 35-37 inches long and weigh 17-22 ounces. Coaches hit many balls during fielding practice and the weight and length allow for the coach to hit balls repeatedly with high accuracy".

Still wood, my cousin has one, but as that says, light and longer.Used to be made of willow, back in the day. I've seen metal ones.

Now do we have to endure a half-century of "Curse of the Fungo" hand-wringing? :rolleyes: Whining is Fungo, and Fungo is Whining. Okay, I'm reaching here . . .

Vernam

RKMeibalane
07-12-2006, 02:18 AM
That seems to be how things go in Cubdom. Either that or Dusty will make him throw 140 pitches in his next start

And then he'll definitely be headed for the DL. :cool:

RKMeibalane
07-12-2006, 02:18 AM

Not this again. Sorry about the double-post.

StatHead21
07-12-2006, 03:12 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1552640&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

If I were I Cub fan I'd consider jumping ship right about now.

KRS1
07-12-2006, 03:20 AM
already here

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74986

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-12-2006, 03:20 AM

IJay22
07-12-2006, 03:21 AM
"That goat is looking very real"- Mark Prior

LOL :D:

CLR01
07-12-2006, 04:14 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1552640&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

:rolleyes:

Do your time.

QCIASOXFAN
07-12-2006, 04:22 AM
"That goat is looking very real"- Mark Prior

LOL :D: That is hilarius that he said that. I called my Cubs buddy to tell him about the Zambozo and Cora incident and he pretty much said what Prior did (after he had to go read the story himself because he just couldn't believe it). Seriously though, it is unreal the dark cloud that hangs over that team.

Grzegorz
07-12-2006, 05:47 AM

Think wiffleball with that hard plastic bat; remember the bat control and batspeed you could generate?

As a Chicagoan, a fungo bat holds a special place in 16" softball. Though banned in most leagues, the bat is extremely useful because of its "whip" properties; a person can generate extremely high bat speed and thus drive the ball much better.

Mercy!
07-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Hands together. Tap-tap. Kiss-kiss. Point to the sky.

Uncle_Patrick
07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I still don't get it. Was this done on purpose?

Doesn't sound like it. Apparently, Zambrano was hit on Cora's backswing.

I guess there go the Cubs' playoff chances this year. Should we expect a bonfire of fungo bats at Harry Carey's in the offseason? Maybe Billy Corgan can write a song about it.

Hitmen77
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
The Sox are "dirty cheaters" because of this? This story doesn't tell the whole story...I'm sure it was just an accident. I'm pretty sure Cora wouldn't be at the game if he hit someone with a bat on purpose. It also would have been a huge story.

So, I take it you're not familiar with how the media tends to twist things. Were you on vacation or something when AJ was "blamed" for getting sucker punched?

Luckily, it sounds like this wasn't a serious injury at all and we can comfortably have a good chuckle about it.

Uncle_Patrick
07-12-2006, 09:27 AM

The ship has already sunk. If you've been a Cubs fan for this long, what's the point of jumping now?

Uncle_Patrick
07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
So, I take it you're not familiar with how the media tends to twist things. Were you on vacation or something when AJ was "blamed" for getting sucker punched?

Luckily, it sounds like this wasn't a serious injury at all and we can comfortably have a good chuckle about it.

A few Cubs fans on the net already have their tinfoil hats on and have concluded that this was done on purpose either to give the AL an advantage in the ASG or as retaliation for being 2-0 against the White Sox this year. :rolleyes:

Juice16
07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I have read that Zambrano backed into Cora as he was hitting infield but still the articles word the blame on Cora.

daveeym
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Where are the articles on how Zambono deserved it because of his reputation and antics?

SOXPHILE
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Unreal. I was driving home from a sports bar after watching the All Star Game, and I heard about this on the Score. Now, maybe I need to be fitted for a tin foil hat here, but.....I had been telling everyone that The Jackass would be on the DL or miss a start or two by the All Star break because of "arm soreness" or "stiff elbow", etc. His history of extremely high pitch counts, and past missed starts due to "using the internet too much" were what I based this on. They had been mentioning in the last couple of weeks that he had a "heavy arm", so I thought I might be proven right. But, alas, he made it to the break. Then this happens. Does anyone think the Cubs will use this as an excuse for him to now miss a start or two by over hyping this injury, to cover up any real problems he may be having with his arm ? I do. Also, what the hell was he doing standing so close to someone that was hitting balls for infield/outfield practice ?

SBSoxFan
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
If that's your idea of a good time....:redneck

Yeah, I'd rather use a glove to shag flies. :wink:

cbotnyse
07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Im still confused as to what happened here.:?: :?:

daveeym
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Im still confused as to what happened here.:?: :?:Cora was hitting grounders, Zambozo was doing an interview behind/around home plate. During the course of the interview Zambozo moved too close to Cora and got hit on the arm by Cora's backswing.

DaleJRFan
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Should we expect a bonfire of fungo bats at Harry Carey's in the offseason? Maybe Billy Corgan can write a song about it.

:roflmao: post of the week.

RowanDye
07-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Cora was hitting grounders, Zambozo was doing an interview behind/around home plate. During the course of the interview Zambozo moved too close to Cora and got hit on the arm by Cora's backswing.

I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. I read the MLB.com article, but I still dont see how this is even possible. It's just crazy, unbelievable that someone would do an interview right next to someone swinging a bat (a long, skinny one at that).

VenturaFan23
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Too bad Cora didn't finish the job Capone style.

FJA
07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
It's just crazy, unbelievable that someone would do an interview right next to someone swinging a bat (a long, skinny one at that).

You do realize who we're talking about, don't you?

MVP
07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Normally, I’m the last person to make light out of any player getting injured, but just the fact that it was Zambrano who got hit by a bat and that it was Cora who “accidentally” him is hilarious to me.

:rolling:

KMKsuburbannoise
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
I wonder if he hit his chest and ointed to the sky after he did this?

Uncle_Patrick
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't understand the words that are coming out of your mouth. I read the MLB.com article, but I still dont see how this is even possible. It's just crazy, unbelievable that someone would do an interview right next to someone swinging a bat (a long, skinny one at that).

The way I've read it, it just sounds like Zambrano was moving with the media and backed to close to Cora, who immediately beat him savagely.

:moron

"I tell you all about how that unstable homophobe Ozzie orchestrated this when I get back from my...uh, vacation."

minutia
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
They were talking about this on the Mike North show this morning and none of them could believe this story, it is too unbelievable. Mike said "just wait Zambrano will be throwing with a towel in the minors right next to Mark Prior"

miker
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Why stop at Zambozo? Take them all out!

Palehose13
07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Off topic, sort of, but did anyone catch this in the article?

It became clear something was off when Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo came in to pitch the fifth inning of the All-Star Game. Arroyo, who had pitched on Sunday and said he celebrated a little too hard upon his arrival in Pittsburgh, said he made it clear to Garner that he did not want to pitch on just one day of rest. "I just went out too hard the other night," Arroyo said before the game. "I told him if he can get by without me, get by without me."

http://cache.eonline.com/Gossip/Awful/Images2005/dm.arroyo.bronson.082405.jpg
"Um, Phil...seriously. I only came here to party. I really don't want to play."

TheDarkGundam
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Has anyone made a reference to how Joey always does nothing but wave his arms uncontrollably?
Maybe Cora just happened to be holding a fungo bat while practicing telling a runner to go from first to home on a single, while Zambrano just go to close.

Iwritecode
07-12-2006, 03:06 PM

It's the All-Star game. There were probably a whole lot of people on the field. A lot more than at a regular game.

Ol' No. 2
07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Am I the only one who thought this was another reference to an Onion article?

chopperjc
07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
CARLOS GOT FUNGOED

:)

:o:

Mercy!
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I'd rather use a glove to shag flies. :wink:I believe Mr. Labrum would correct your useage to say that, "I'd rather wear a glove while shagging flies.":redneck

TornLabrum
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I believe Mr. Labrum would correct your useage to say that, "I'd rather wear a glove while shagging flies.":redneck

If that's your idea of a good time....

rowand33
07-12-2006, 05:26 PM

I give the guy credit. Went out and celebrated being an allstar and still pitched a scoreless inning the next day against baseball's best (with some help from Sanchez on that Mark Loretta liner).

Still... :gulp:

nasox
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Off topic, sort of, but did anyone catch this in the article?

He also came to play the guitar.

Chicago
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/funzo.jpg

SBSoxFan
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I believe Mr. Labrum would correct your useage to say that, "I'd rather wear a glove while shagging flies.":redneck

Hey, I think you're splitting hairs there now! :D:

ChiSoxFan7
07-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Joey Cora hit Zambrano with fungo bat and it kept him out of the ASG

Chicago
07-12-2006, 07:52 PM
BREAKING NEWS :tongue:

CaptainBallz
07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Joey Cora hit Zambrano with fungo bat and it kept him out of the ASG

:?:

Mercy!
07-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey, I think you're splitting hairs there now! :D:Ya know, we may just be talking past each other at this point. Where's SoxEd when we really need a cunning linguist of the British persuasion?

zach074
07-13-2006, 12:45 AM

So a fungo bat is used to hit pop ups and soft ground balls? Are we sure the Cubs arn't using these to play their games?

areilly
07-13-2006, 01:21 AM
So a fungo bat is used to hit pop ups and soft ground balls? Are we sure the Cubs arn't using these to play their games?

Hey, alright, thanks folks! But seriously, this place is great. I'll be here all week, yes, so be sure tip the veal and try the waitresses!

Hey-o!

Seriously though, how about those Cubs huh? Oh they stink. Yeah, they stink so bad they had my gym socks running for cover! I mean, come on, they're getting their wins the same way I get my steaks: rare!

Thanks folks, seriously, it's good to see you all out here tonight, and one thing I always like doing getting to know the audience. Like you, miss, at the front table, you have such pretty eyes. What's your name?

Wait, sorry, I can't hear you - your dress is too loud!

Alright, I'm done. Artie, get me outta here, you've been great folks! Thanks very much and good night!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2006, 01:47 AM
could someone explain to me what cora is doing here?
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/1600/clowns.jpg

soltrain21
07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
He is pointing to the sky like Carlos does.

Slats
07-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Where can I buy the Official MLB Joey Cora Fungo Bat ™
Grandstand on 35st?

SBSoxFan
07-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Ya know, we may just be talking past each other at this point. Where's SoxEd when we really need a cunning linguist of the British persuasion?

Actually, my wife is a linguist. She would probably suggest that we drop it, and get on with the rest of our lives. :D:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2006, 08:01 PM
He is pointing to the sky like Carlos does.

haha, now i get it

Lyle Mouton
07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

bahahahaha, well done sir

obvious, yes, but well done nonetheless