vs. Texas
7-21 Buehrle vs. Wasdin
7-22 Garcia vs. Koronka
7-23 Garland vs. Padilla

vs. Minnesota
7-24 Vazquez vs. Radke
7-25 Contreras vs. Santana
7-26 Buehrle vs. Silva

July 25th should be interesting. Glad the Sox are probably missing Liriano.

Also, looking at the Orioles rotation, it appears the Sox will miss Bedard when the Sox go to Baltimore at the end of the month.

cbrownson13
07-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Is there ever a series against Minnesota where we don't see Santana?

ohiosoxfan12
07-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't care if its only the first week week after the break, but the games against the Tigers is HUGE!! I really hope we can get at least 2 of 3. I still don't know how they are ahead of us, they are not that great.

QCIASOXFAN
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Is there ever a series against Minnesota where we don't see Santana? We aren't ever that lucky.

whitesoxfan1986
07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
If we're seeing Santana, then there is a good chance we're seeing Liriano too.

IlliniSox4Life
07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't care if its only the first week week after the break, but the games against the Tigers is HUGE!! I really hope we can get at least 2 of 3. I still don't know how they are ahead of us, they are not that great.

Look at their pitching stats. Look at ours.

sox1970
07-11-2006, 11:05 PM
If we're seeing Santana, then there is a good chance we're seeing Liriano too.

According to cbssportsline, the Twins will start Liriano on Thursday, the 13th. They have no off days, so he'll pitch on the 18th and 23rd. The Twins start their series with the Sox on the 24th. Ergo--no Liriano.

oeo
07-11-2006, 11:08 PM
We aren't ever that lucky.
If it lines up that we are going to miss him, Gardenhire shifts the rotation so we do face him. He's already done it once this year, and I'm sure he will do it every time. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they made a change so we had to face Liriano, as well.

ohiosoxfan12
07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Look at their pitching stats. Look at ours.

Okay, they have a ERA about a point less. The White Sox are far superior than the Tigers (Offensively and Defensively). They have little to no playoff experience and no bullpen. The best is Zumaya, who throws the ball fast, but doesn't have good control. I couldn't be suprised if they do not don't even make the playoffs. I hope that we can handle the other teams, we should be able to take the tigers head to head.

PaleHosed
07-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Okay, they have a ERA about a point less. The White Sox are far superior than the Tigers (Offensively and Defensively). They have little to no playoff experience and no bullpen. The best is Zumaya, who throws the ball fast, but doesn't have good control. I couldn't be suprised if they do not don't even make the playoffs. I hope that we can handle the other teams, we should be able to take the tigers head to head.

Come on! give credit where credit is due! I'm as big a Sox fan as most here, but you have to respect a good team when they're good.

Really, Detroit is real good. Their starters have been spectacular and that no bullpen comment you made is just completely wrong. Zumaya and Rodney have been a great one-two punch in the setup role and Jones has been serviceable as a closer.

Offensively, yes we have been superior, but that doesn't make Detroit's offense bad, and besides as we all should know here that pitching does win championships.

Defensively from the stats i could find, we have been on equal footing with Detroit so far this year. Inge has been impressive at 3rd and Granderson is looking really good in CF.

I expect Detroit to slip a bit in the second half and I still like our chances to take the division, but i still expect Detroit to be right there with us til the end of the season.

Mohoney
07-12-2006, 06:42 AM
If rotations hold up:

at New York
7-14 Contreras vs. Johnson
7-15 Buehrle vs. Mussina
7-16 Garcia vs. Wright

at Detroit
7-18 Garland vs. Robertson
7-19 Vazquez vs. Verlander
7-20 Contreras vs. Rogers

vs. Texas
7-21 Buehrle vs. Wasdin
7-22 Garcia vs. Koronka
7-23 Garland vs. Padilla

vs. Minnesota
7-24 Vazquez vs. Radke
7-26 Buehrle vs. Silva

Also, looking at the Orioles rotation, it appears the Sox will miss Bedard when the Sox go to Baltimore at the end of the month.

We need 2 wins out of Buehrle in his 3 games here. Not no-decisions that we win late, but actual wins.

Look at what the other teams here are throwing against Contreras. That's just plain nasty to have to come out of those 3 matchups with that win streak hanging in the balance.

kittle42
07-12-2006, 07:44 AM

*****. This is exactly the type of lack of respect our Sox received last year. The Tigers are for real.

chopperjc
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
The Tigers are for real a great pitching staff with solid players including some veterans with playoff and pennant race experience. For those of you who think they are going to dry up and blow away you are not being realistic. With this being said I believe a race is what is needed. I do believe in the end we have the best team and we will be there in the end. A good race will keep us sharp and once we make the playoffs in whatever capacity we can and will make another run. Remeber the playoffs are the first objective and we do have the second best record in baseball. The next 45 games will tell most of the tale. This is our toughest part of the schedule. Pitch better and we have no problems. Should we not pitch then we have many problems. No teams can really slug there way to a world series. I for one am very confident and am looking to a fun and rewarding second half.

:D: :D: :D:

Law11
07-12-2006, 09:13 AM
They have little to no playoff experience and no bullpen.

What playoff experience did we have? Or bullpen had marte and Viscaino in it last year as well..

That team is not goin anywhere. We could find ourselves 3/4 games back heading into Detroit if we dont take 2/3 in NY as Det plays KC.

They wrap up the season with 6 of 9 with KC while we have Oak, Anaheim and Minnesota...

The Division would be great but I'll take the WC the way our pitching has been the first half.

delben91
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
We need 2 wins out of Buehrle in his 3 games here. Not no-decisions that we win late, but actual wins.

Just out of curiousity, if the Sox win with Buerhle getting a no-decision...what's the harm?

He could go 7 innings giving up 1 run and we score 2 in the 8th...

Just not sure I see the reason, that's all.

batmanZoSo
07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Just out of curiousity, if the Sox win with Buerhle getting a no-decision...what's the harm?

That's the best case scenario there. A no-decision usually means a less than spectacular outing bailed out by offense and a lot of bullpen use. We just need the rotation to start delivering.

ohiosoxfan12
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Come on! give credit where credit is due! I'm as big a Sox fan as most here, but you have to respect a good team when they're good.

Really, Detroit is real good. Their starters have been spectacular and that no bullpen comment you made is just completely wrong. Zumaya and Rodney have been a great one-two punch in the setup role and Jones has been serviceable as a closer.

Offensively, yes we have been superior, but that doesn't make Detroit's offense bad, and besides as we all should know here that pitching does win championships.

Defensively from the stats i could find, we have been on equal footing with Detroit so far this year. Inge has been impressive at 3rd and Granderson is looking really good in CF.

I expect Detroit to slip a bit in the second half and I still like our chances to take the division, but i still expect Detroit to be right there with us til the end of the season.

We will agree to disagree. I have my opinion just as much as you have yours. I don't think the tigers will be a problem. If pitching is what your worried about in the division, then look at Minnesota. They have arguably the best two pitchers in baseball, and they are not going to win a championship. Pitching does not win championships it might get you to the postseason, you must be good all-round to win a ring.

soxfan13
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Only a point less thats nothing, I think all Sox fans would have learned after last year not to doubt any teams since we were doubted all year. I agree with a poster before, you have to give credit where credit is due. The Tigers are in it for the long haul. The young pitching they let get battered the last couple of years has finally shown its true colors.

Oops tagged the wrong quote I agree with palehosed

kittle42
07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
We will agree to disagree. I have my opinion just as much as you have yours. I don't think the tigers will be a problem. If pitching is what your worried about in the division, then look at Minnesota. They have arguably the best two pitchers in baseball, and they are not going to win a championship. Pitching does not win championships it might get you to the postseason, you must be good all-round to win a ring.

The Sox last year were 9th in runs scored in the AL. They were 12th in batting average and 8th in OPS. They won a ring.

The Tigers are middle of the pack in all those categories this season.

The Sox were 2nd in ERA and 3rd in (fewest) runs allowed last season.

The Tigers are far and away 1st in ERA this season and 1st in runs allowed.

The Tigers may not "scare you on paper," wither pitching or hitting-wise. Neither did the Sox last year, to many.

batmanZoSo
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
The Sox last year were 9th in runs scored in the AL. They were 12th in batting average and 8th in OPS. They won a ring.

The Tigers are middle of the pack in all those categories this season.

The Sox were 2nd in ERA and 3rd in (fewest) runs allowed last season.

The Tigers are far and away 1st in ERA this season and 1st in runs allowed.

The Tigers may not "scare you on paper," wither pitching or hitting-wise. Neither did the Sox last year, to many.

Good post. Hitting, schmitting. One stat that matters is wins and the other is pitching. The Tigers have edged us in both.

Thome25
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
If rotations hold up:

at New York
7-14 Contreras vs. Johnson
7-15 Buehrle vs. Mussina
7-16 Garcia vs. Wright

at Detroit
7-18 Garland vs. Robertson
7-19 Vazquez vs. Verlander
7-20 Contreras vs. Rogers

vs. Texas
7-21 Buehrle vs. Wasdin
7-22 Garcia vs. Koronka
7-23 Garland vs. Padilla

vs. Minnesota
7-24 Vazquez vs. Radke
7-26 Buehrle vs. Silva

The two games I'm worried about are highlighted in bold. And they're two of the most important. We'll see what happens.

Fred Manrique
07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
According to www.detroittigers.com (http://www.detroittigers.com) the rotation will begin with Bonderman, Robertson, Miner, and then Verlander pitching against the Royals on Sunday.

This means that we'd see Rogers, Miner and Bonderman in our three games (I'll be at the Bonderman and Miner ones). Now the Tigers might not want to wait a week to use Rogers, but I think mlb.com has a pretty good idea on their plans.

Fred Manrique
07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Yahoo has the same matchups except the Gambler going on Sunday meaning Verlander against us on Tuesday.

Mohoney
07-12-2006, 05:20 PM

I just don't see our offense getting shut down by Silva or Wasdin where a great outing ends in a no-decision. The Moose might shut us down, and that game is a complete toss-up, but Buehrle should out-pitch those other two.

07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws

This update shows that Johnson and Mussina have flipped in the Yankees rotation to start the 2nd half.

Friday - Jose Contreras @ Mike Mussina
Saturday - Mark Buehrle @ Randy Johnson
Sunday - Freddy Garcia @ TBA

chisoxmike
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
I'll bet Gardinhire will pull a Gardinhire and shuffle his rotation for the Sox series making his 3 starters Liriano, Santana, and Radke.

Deuce
07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Only stat I am concerned with is our win/loss record. Thirteen games this half will settle the difference between the Sox and the Tigers. And if things stay consistent, we can take the vast majority of those games.

Deuce