PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Closer Rankings

danman31
02-14-2002, 05:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/closerschart2002.html

Foulke #2 behind Rivera, that's high praise because when it comes to closers it's obvious that it's a race for 2nd. Foulke won.

pearso66
02-15-2002, 03:09 PM
i was about to post the same thing. but the only reason rivera is # 1 is cuz he's a yankee. granted they said he had all these stats yeah sure, i know. but they said he would be # 1 anyway. if foulke had more save opportunities, he would have been first in that category, plus he should get some slack, because he is a ground ball pitcher, he doesnt get many strikeouts. but that isnt so bad, he also doesnt give up many runs, as you can tell, he is # 1 in ERA. and that stat is even padded, when you think about it, he had 1 or 2 outings where he gave up more than 5 runs, i believe. in my oppinion, foulke should be # 1, and thats not even a biased oppinion

NUKE_CLEVELAND
02-15-2002, 08:40 PM
I'm in agreement that Foulke is better than Rivera. The bias shown toward the Yankee players in the last 5 or so years is just stupid. I know they're a dominant team, but all the press they get tends to overshadow a lot of great talent elsewhere in the leauge.
With the way a lot of the sports media have their collective heads up the yankees ass it made it that much sweeter that the D-Backs won the series.

Tragg
02-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Under their methodology, there is a big gap between foulke and the third best closer.

Weren't 2 of foulke's 3 blown saves in the twinkiedome? Those should be factored out for general bogusity.

KempersRS
02-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
I'm in agreement that Foulke is better than Rivera. The bias shown toward the Yankee players in the last 5 or so years is just stupid. I know they're a dominant team, but all the press they get tends to overshadow a lot of great talent elsewhere in the leauge.
With the way a lot of the sports media have their collective heads up the yankees ass it made it that much sweeter that the D-Backs won the series.

It was based on statistics.

voodoochile
02-16-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Under their methodology, there is a big gap between foulke and the third best closer.

Weren't 2 of foulke's 3 blown saves in the twinkiedome? Those should be factored out for general bogusity.

Dude... is that a word? But, I agree with your sentiment.