PDA

View Full Version : Fox to keep MLB TV rights, TBS also included

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball is expected to announce later Tuesday that Fox will retain the rights to televise the World Series, All-Star Game and one League Championship Series while Turner Broadcasting will carry the Divisional Series and, beginning in 2008, a Sunday afternoon game of the week.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002802978

SOXfnNlansing
07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
great, more buck and mccarver:(:

eriqjaffe
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
great, more buck and mccarver:(:But less Berman & Morgan!

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
7 more ****ing years of Saturday blackouts. MLB sucks.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2006, 03:51 PM
This is good. I get TBS on my "generic, ultra basic" cable, but not ESPN. I really don't want to have to pay extra for specific cable TV service.

(I do NOT steal cable TV service. I pay for cable internet service. It's run over the same cable as the "A" channels, which include the WGN and TBS superstations, Discovery, the local network affiliates, other local independent channels, Home Shopping channels, religious stations, the local weather radar, PBS, and local municipal and school district channels. So, I split the cable and have one cable go to my cable modem and the other to my TV. It's Comcast's own fault if they don't screen out these channels, but I don't see why they care since they channels I get aren't exactly high-demand channels.)

Now, if we could just convince Fox that DFW doesn't ALWAYS want to see Yankees and Red Sox games on Saturdays, but would like to see White Sox games too, all would be right with my world.
:D:

mrfourni
07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
With the division series games overlapping, will TBS be able to broadcast all of the games of the DS? ESPN was able to do it because they had ESPN and ESPN2.

Huisj
07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
This TBS Sunday afternoon game won't create a pathetic blackout issue like what FOX does with Saturday afternoon games, will it? That would really suck if it did.

Fenway
07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
great, more buck and mccarver:(:

Yup FOX goes to 26 Saturdays up from 18

No blackouts on the TBS Sunday games it appears

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 04:14 PM
This TBS Sunday afternoon game won't create a pathetic blackout issue like what FOX does with Saturday afternoon games, will it? That would really suck if it did.

Oh, crap! I hadn't even thought about that. :o:

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, crap! I hadn't even thought about that. :o:

it wont dont worry.

nasox
07-11-2006, 04:23 PM
So no Costas and NBC? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

BUCK ****ING SUCKS.

nasox
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Also, I don't have cable, so division games on cable sucks as well.

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
heres a better artical

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6351403.html

chopperjc
07-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Although it appears Sat. day baseball for those of us outside Chicago will not exist unless I want to watch the Marlins or a NY team. I hope MLB will reverse some of the arcane black out rules. I have DirectV and also subscribe to MLB for my 300 bucks a year I hope there are some concessions in this area.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fenway
07-11-2006, 05:47 PM
MLB confirms FOX part of contract

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060711&content_id=1551895&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 05:52 PM
sat blackout still in effect on fox. tbs will have a alternate game on sundays in those cities where are being broadcasted nationaly. tbs playoff games that over lap will go onto tnt.

buehrle4cy05
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe I missed something, but who will broadcast the other LCS series when Fox isn't?

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Maybe I missed something, but who will broadcast the other LCS series when Fox isn't?

hasnt been decieded yet.

bigfoot
07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
[quote=nasox]So no Costas and NBC? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Won't TBS be looking for a BIG NAME announcing crew? Costas doesn't have a lot to do at NBC, except acting like a game show emcee for the pitiful lineup of sporting events it still airs.

Viva Medias B's
07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
I guess NBC's Dick Ebersol is content with having poker tournaments, beach volleyball, and God knows what else on his network instead of baseball. I am a traditionalist who believes NBC should be the network for Major League Baseball. If I were Costas, I'd leave NBC.

Kogs35
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I guess NBC's Dick Ebersol is content with having poker tournaments, beach volleyball, and God knows what else on his network instead of baseball. I am a traditionalist who believes NBC should be the network for Major League Baseball. If I were Costas, I'd leave NBC.

costas is the pregame host for sunday night football on nbc. yes baseball does belong on nbc but costas had his oppritunity to move on from nbc when disney aquired the nba, but he declined. he was offerd the nba pregame hosting job and pbp for baseball iirc.

PKalltheway
07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002802978

:o: :o: :o: :o: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PKalltheway
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
hasnt been decieded yet.
Please be NBC, please be NBC, please be NBC!!!:praying:
:costas

whitesoxfan
07-11-2006, 11:44 PM

NBC lost NASCAR as well this past year. They did pick up the NFL for Sunday night games, and they do have the NHL. The only thing that I can think of is that they are waiting for ESPN/ABC's contract with the NBA, which runs until after the 07-08 season, to expire so they can try to get the NBA back. Besides that though, their sporting lineup is pretty awful.

Hitmen77
07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
With the division series games overlapping, will TBS be able to broadcast all of the games of the DS? ESPN was able to do it because they had ESPN and ESPN2.

TBS has TNT as a sister network to handle conflicting games.

MrRoboto83
07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
As a Fan we should have the right to watch any game we choose by any means possible. This blackout **** has to end.

CLR01
07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
As a Fan we should have the right to watch any game we choose by any means possible. This blackout **** has to end.

When you figure out a way to put $250 million/year into MLB's hand it will end.

ewokpelts
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
This TBS Sunday afternoon game won't create a pathetic blackout issue like what FOX does with Saturday afternoon games, will it? That would really suck if it did.i doubt it.....

ewokpelts
07-12-2006, 10:02 AM
So no Costas and NBC? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

BUCK ****ING SUCKS.there will be another broadcat partner announced soon...
gene

ewokpelts
07-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Here's my question:

Will I have to reschedule my wedding because fox wants the WS on a tuesday now?

I currently have my wedding scheduled for October 19th, 2007, the "old' day before the world series.
If the series gets pushe dupa few days, I could end up having my wedding during game 3.
Gene

doogiec
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Here's my question:

Will I have to reschedule my wedding because fox wants the WS on a tuesday now?

I currently have my wedding scheduled for October 19th, 2007, the "old' day before the world series.
If the series gets pushe dupa few days, I could end up having my wedding during game 3.
Gene

Just a wild guess, but I bet the World Series actually gets pushed back from Saturday to the following Tuesday.

Which would enable the division series to be seven games.

Which would mean more potential for November baseball. And snow.

nasox
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Fox isn't even on locally in some areas. I think t is on in 86% of the country, but I'm not sure.

chaerulez
07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
If Turner gets the other LCS, that's a joke, and Selig is a bigger moron than I thought. Both LCS should be on national television, this is the national pastime and shouldn't be relegated to cable like the NBA has.

Fenway
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
NY Times is reporting one other change to the FOX deal. Games will start at 3:30 Eastern now instead of 1.

Fox also announced at a news conference at PNC Park in Pittsburgh that it would continue to carry the World Series and the All-Star Game. It will extend its Saturday afternoon schedule from 18 to 26 weeks and move the starting time from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Eastern, when more people are watching television and the games can lead into local newscasts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/sports/baseball/12tv.html

Lip Man 1
07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
That actually make sense since 95% of the team's play Friday night games. It'll give the fans, players and front office folks a chance to get a decent night's sleep afterwards instead of having to get up so early for a 1PM Eastern start Saturday.

Lip

Fenway
07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
NY Times takes a second look at the deal

Sports Media and Business
Postseason Potluck May Return (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/14/sports/baseball/14sandomir.html)

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Shifting League Championship Series games to a cable network will deprive certain fans.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM

Postseason Potluck May Return (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/14/sports/baseball/14sandomir.html)

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Shifting League Championship Series games to a cable network will deprive certain fans.

Have to agree - Bud and Jerry my grab a few dollars more but I don't think the cost of 10% less viewers as far as how they will attend / watch games in the future is being given enough weight. To top it off even if you purchase their (MLB's) package online or via cable / satelite, you are still blacked out.

Maybe Bud and Jerry do not care about the long term as they will not be here much longer but other owners should have better sense then relegating the playoffs to cable like the lower tier NBA and NHL does (and they show some games over the air on weekends) for a few dollars more.

PKalltheway
07-14-2006, 03:22 PM

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Looks like either way you slice it, one of the LCS is going to go to cable because if ESPN gets the LCS, they may show games 1,2,6, and 7 on ESPN and games 3,4, and 5 on ABC.