PDA

View Full Version : Sox to play Rockies in Hall of Fame game

Jjav829
02-14-2002, 02:48 PM
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Old will meet new on July 29 in Cooperstown when the Chicago White Sox, one of the American League's original eight franchises, play host to the 1993 National League expansion Colorado Rockies in the 56th annual Hall of Fame Game at Doubleday Field.

First pitch is slated for 2 p.m. with pregame activities - including the popular home run derby -- scheduled to commence at 1 p.m. The Rockies will make their maiden voyage to Cooperstown, while the White Sox bring a 1-6-1 Hall of Fame Game record in eight appearances, last playing in 1992, when they were one-hit in a 3-0 loss to the Mets. The only Sox victory came when future Hall of Famer Al Lopez managed his squad to a 13-4 victory over the Cardinals in 1957.

The over-the-counter ticket sale for the 56th annual Hall of Fame Game will take place on Saturday, May 4, at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. Tickets are limited to four per customer. Prices are $11.00 for first and third base reserved seats, while outfield reserved seats are $10.00.

Doubleday Field was built in 1939.

Hall of Fame Weekend will take place July 27-28-29 in Cooperstown's picturesque village. The Induction Ceremony will start at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, July 28th. Hall of Fame electee Ozzie Smith is this year's lone enshrinee and will be joined on stage by some 40-50 returning Hall of Famers, J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Joe Falls, and Harry Kalas, the Ford C. Frick Award winner. There is no admission fee for the Ceremony.

Hall of Fame Game Ticketing

Over the Counter: On May 4, half of the available ticket allotment for the Hall of Fame Game will be sold in the Hall of Fame's Museum Shop beginning at 9 a.m. The sale will continue until 5 p.m., or until the allotment has been exhausted. Acceptable forms of payment include cash or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express). As always, President's Circle and Benefactor level members of the Friends of the Hall of Fame may pre-purchase two tickets by calling 888-HALL-OF-FAME or 607-547-0397.

White Sox v.s Rockies in HOF Game (http://www2.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020214_hofgame _news&team_id=mlb)

yyz
02-14-2002, 02:55 PM
I suppose this is good PR for the team, but I would prefer that they spend that day resting up before the three game series at Minnesota.

harwar
02-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by yyz
I suppose this is good PR for the team, but I would prefer that they spend that day resting up before the three game series at Minnesota.

I couldn't agree more.An off day at the end of july that is taken away can be difficult on those not mentally tough and those that are nursing nagging little injuries.Maybe i just worry too much but i don't like it one bit.Also,not a big fan of ozzie smith.