PDA

View Full Version : AJ stole Dye's spotlight

07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
God knows I love Aj, and it's not his fault, it was ESPN, but when i was watching Dye hit last night, it seemed like there was more focus on the AJ interview and less focus on Dye at bat...

FedEx227
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
What did you expect from ESPN or any national media for that matter. To talk about whats actually going on apparently doesn't equal ratings. But dwelling on the past, beating a dead horse and attempting to stir up controversy does.

It wasn't also hard to tell that Ortiz was the absolute front and center character on the entire broadcast and even when he was knocked out of the competition the announcers pulled a Poochie.

Thome25
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't see what the big deal is with the AJ interview during Dye's at-bat. I saw it as ESPN doing something right for once.

What's wrong with interviewing AJ while his teammate is batting? I'd much rather hear AJ talking during Dye's at bat than one of the ass-clown talking heads that ESPN employs.

We must be a little bored because the Sox are off for 3 more days. If we don't have anything better to do than complain about this.

Get a life.

AJ is the man. Interviewing him was a good thing.

twsoxfan5
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't see what the big deal is with the AJ interview during Dye's at-bat. I saw it as ESPN doing something right for once.

What's wrong with interviewing AJ while his teammate is batting? I'd much rather hear AJ talking during Dye's at bat than one of the ass-clown talking heads that ESPN employs.

We must be a little bored because the Sox are off for 3 more days. If we don't have anything better to do than complain about this.

Get a life.

AMEN!

07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Get a life.

Get a life? Hey it was just an opinion, take it easy

Harry Potter
07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Whats the Score?

Uncle_Patrick
07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't have a problem ESPN interviewing AJ during Dye's at-bat. However, I am waiting for someone to take AJ's comments (which were obvious jokes) out of context for the latest installment of "AJ is Evil" that is being perpetuated by the media and stupid baseball fans who hate AJ without being able to tell you why.

07-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I probably titled this wrong, I should have said Bad timing by ESPN...I just wanted them to give more props to Dye and it seemed like his at bat was ignored for the most part

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM

To me, that whole thing came across as indicative of the terrific, playful relationship our players have with each other. (Contrast that with Ortiz's appparent discomfort when being asked about Manny.) Also, if AJ had not been up there during JD's at bat, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that all we would have heard was those knuckleheads comparing JD's every move unfavorably with "Big Papi." (As it was, if I had heard "Big Papi" one more time, I was going to hurl.)

AJ's side comments were refreshing, and I think his having his daughter on his lap--together with his references to his wife--probably did a lot to soften his image among those who dislike him.

MERPER
07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
I personally thought it was great for 3 reasons:

1-- The entire nation got to see how close-knit our guys are and how they can joke around so much while keeping focused on winning

2-- Put White Sox players front and center for those 15 minutes at the ALL-STAR game, another perk that comes with being champion!

3-- Put Dye out of the spotlight AGAIN, probably the exact way JD wanted it...

Soxgirl22
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
AJ's side comments were refreshing, and I think his having his daughter on his lap--together with his references to his wife--probably did a lot to soften his image among those who dislike him.

Exactly what I was going to say. That's really one cute kid.

1951Campbell
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
3-- Put Dye out of the spotlight AGAIN, probably the exact way JD wanted it...

Agreed. Not that I've ever sat down and talked to Dye, but he certainly comes across as a fellow who is modest, reserved, and quiet and prefers to let the bat and glove do the talking, much like Harold Baines.

buehrle4cy05
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
It was good because we didn't have to listen to Berman while JD was hitting.

itsnotrequired
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Agreed. Not that I've ever sat down and talked to Dye, but he certainly comes across as a fellow who is modest, reserved, and quiet and prefers to let the bat and glove do the talking, much like Harold Baines.

...and that's what he'll do the rest of the season. He'll go back to work, people will forget about him and then look at the end of year stats and say "Wow, who's this guy with 45 HRs, 130 RBIs and a .315 average?"

:cool:

slobes
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
AJ was just interviewed on Cold Pizza a couple minute ago. Unfortunately, from the questions that I saw, ESPN is focusing solely on the punching incident. Their questions were like "If you were in a tag team fight, who would you want on your team?" and "If you were to get in a steel cage fight, who would you want to fight?". These guys don't seem to realize that he's a good player too, not just a catcher with a steel jaw.

ajismyhero
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
I didn't think AJ stole the spotlight from Dye too much.....at least he just had the little corner in the top left hand part of the screen. My gripe of the evening was how they interviewed "Big Papi" during Howard's first round at bat, especially since Howard ended up winning the whole thing!

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
The way that Renolds and Berman were drooling over Ortiz, I thought they might give him sexual favors.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
AJ was just interviewed on Cold Pizza a couple minute ago. Unfortunately, from the questions that I saw, ESPN is focusing solely on the punching incident. Their questions were like "If you were in a tag team fight, who would you want on your team?" and "If you were to get in a steel cage fight, who would you want to fight?". These guys don't seem to realize that he's a good player too, not just a catcher with a steel jaw.

Well, sure. Further proof that ESPN is clueless, even about what goes on on their own network. You would think that--given this is the All-Star break--they would have followed up his appearance last night and his selection to the All-Star team with something that was at least slightly relevant to the topic at hand.

But then, they wouldn't be ESPN.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I didn't think AJ stole the spotlight from Dye too much.....at least he just had the little corner in the top left hand part of the screen. My gripe of the evening was how they interviewed "Big Papi" during Howard's first round at bat, especially since Howard ended up winning the whole thing!

Would not surprise me in the least to see a "Big Papi" reality show on ESPN in the not-too-distant future.

Rob190
07-11-2006, 12:56 PM
I had to laugh when Dye hit one out, and I heard AJ say the bat is corked.

FedEx227
07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Would not surprise me in the least to see a "Big Papi" reality show on ESPN in the not-too-distant future.

He's already got a video game

http://www.videopac.bas-ditta.info/images/software/braziliaans/frogger.jpg

Fake Chet Lemon
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM

you stole my thunder...............

MsSoxVixen22
07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
To me, that whole thing came across as indicative of the terrific, playful relationship our players have with each other. (Contrast that with Ortiz's appparent discomfort when being asked about Manny.) Also, if AJ had not been up there during JD's at bat, there is not the slightest doubt in my mind that all we would have heard was those knuckleheads comparing JD's every move unfavorably with "Big Papi." (As it was, if I had heard "Big Papi" one more time, I was going to hurl.)

I agree....though I never had a "poor image" of AJ! :D: His daughter was absolutely adorable though....and so were Dye's little guys!

MsSoxVixen22
07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
The way that Renolds and Berman were drooling over Ortiz, I thought they might give him sexual favors.

I said the exact same thing to my Dad, while we were watching. Well kinda the same. I said Geez, if you like Ortiz so much, why don't you ask him out?!

MikeLove
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
i do think the spotlight was taken off JD which is a shame. Not really AJ's fault though, the espn guys kept asking him stuff. This stuff is all just for fun anyway, and aj going up to the booth while his teamate is batting is all in fun too

edit: I love how ESPN wouldnt **** about how clutch ortiz is (well really it was just Berman) but dont even give a nod to the ****ing reigning world series mvp that just so happened to save a game TWICE against the beloved fakesox just one day prior. I give them a pass for not knowing hes been clutch all year long cause ESPN doesn't actually watch sox games, but he did it TWICE one day before and in the world series and they should know bout that

rookie
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Anyone else think it was funny that during the press conference to announce the starting line-ups, that Ozzie got a lot more questions than Phil Gardner? True it was because some of the questions were from spanish speaking publications, but still it was funny. Phil must have wondered why he was at the press conference at all.

Personally I think that the media doesn't know what to make of the Sox. With all the on field/off field stories - they feel like they need to keep us within eye sight in case the Sox "do" something newsworthy again. Though you can tell that they are not used to having to do this.

(Oh, and the kids - JD & AJ, and even Ortiz's with that all those curls - were adorable to watch.)

thomas35forever
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Hallelujah!

Mots09
07-11-2006, 01:18 PM
:redneck I thought it was priceless when Berman errr jag bag stated he picked Dye to win it all and Aj said, "You have got to be kididng me. Never would have guess that Berman."

TornLabrum
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelrod
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
AJ was good. enjoyed listening to him. Anything SOX is all good.

kevin57
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I didn't mind AJ's commentary during the Dye's HR derby at all. That whole HR thing is kind of lame anyway.

nebraskasox
07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
AJ was good. enjoyed listening to him. Anything SOX is all good.

That's how I felt. I thought there was a lot of focus on the Sox and I enjoyed all the attention my team was getting. I particularly enjoyed several references to the "World Champion" White Sox. I noticed there were a couple references to "the Sox" without "White" in front (and they were not referring to Boston). Maybe they're catching on?

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
That's how I felt. I thought there was a lot of focus on the Sox and I enjoyed all the attention my team was getting. I particularly enjoyed several references to the "World Champion" White Sox. I noticed there were a couple references to "the Sox" without "White" in front (and they were not referring to Boston). Maybe they're catching on?

Wow, that's interesting! I missed that completely, probably because I always assume White Sox. In fact, the first time I saw "Cheers" and Carla said something about "the Sox," I couldn't figure out why she was talking about the Sox in a Boston bar! Seriously. To me, there is only one "Sox" and the color is White.

ws05champs
07-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Is AJ is becoming the darling of the media? He was on Jim Rome yesterday too. AJ really has a great sense of humor and seems like a great guy to interview.

I've heard the media is getting nervous because Ozzie hasn't said anything stupid yet in Pittsburgh. Maybe the reporters will have to focus on the game.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Is AJ is becoming the darling of the media? He was on Jim Rome yesterday too. AJ really has a great sense of humor and seems like a great guy to interview.

I've heard the media is getting nervous because Ozzie hasn't said anything stupid yet in Pittsburgh. Maybe the reporters will have to focus on the game.

And wouldn't that be unique?

Actually, AJ has been on Rome many times over the past few years. More national exposure sure couldn't hurt.

jenn2080
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I thought AJ was funny. Better then having to listen to the ESPN idiots talk about Manny and Deebo AKA David Ortiz. Thankfully I tivoed the HR Derby so forwarded threw alot of it....David Ortiz and most of the commentary.

vegyrex
07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
AJ didn't steal anything.