PDA

View Full Version : The Jumbotron + Replays at USCF

Mr. White Sox
07-11-2006, 01:35 AM
What are the rules governing which replays are shown and which are not at USCF? It seems like the only plays shown are those that positively impact the Sox. It's incredibly frustrating to see an amazing defensive play by the opposing team not show up on the jumbotron, or a close play that negatively impacts the Sox not show up as well.

It seems like whoever runs the Jumbotron system just assumes that plays that aren't positive towards the Sox aren't worth showing, and they assume incorrectly.

twentywontowin
07-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I forget what the rules are, but they are all the same at every MLB park, not just at The Cell. I'm checking Google now for the specific rules.

Garland_IS_God
07-11-2006, 01:39 AM
My guess would be they cant show the close calls that go against the Sox cause then they would be showing up the umpires.

Edward
07-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#ReplayPolicy)

CLR01
07-11-2006, 02:00 AM
What are the rules governing which replays are shown and which are not at USCF? It seems like the only plays shown are those that positively impact the Sox. It's incredibly frustrating to see an amazing defensive play by the opposing team not show up on the jumbotron, or a close play that negatively impacts the Sox not show up as well.

It seems like whoever runs the Jumbotron system just assumes that plays that aren't positive towards the Sox aren't worth showing, and they assume incorrectly.

Do you really want to see multiple replays of (insert opposing player here) driving in a run/hitting a HR?

Mr. White Sox
07-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Do you really want to see multiple replays of (insert opposing player here) driving in a run/hitting a HR?
Thanks for the link, edward. From what I could tell, force plays (not at second) can be shown, as can any other ball put into play. Close plays must be shown at regular speed.

No, I don't need to see multiple replays of Ortiz crushing a 400 foot HR or anything, but a play akin to what Alex Cora did on Sunday was commendable, and even if it completely killed the Sox's inning, it was still a hell of a play to see. I wouldn't have minded seeing that more than once if I was at that game.

Wsoxmike59
07-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I wrote Brooks Boyer an email a couple of years ago regarding this very subject and he said he had received numerous letters and emails saying the same thing.

The gist of my letter was I wanted to see more replays on the jumbo-tron than what was currently shown. I hated the corporate "mind set" that if it was a play that negatively affected the Sox that it wasn't shown.

I brought up replays for the opposition. I said if I'm at a game and the opposing team makes a great play in the field.....show it. I assured him we as Sox fans could handle it.

I also mentioned that most every play should be shown on replay at the game as a courtesy to fans. Sometimes you might be talking to someone and miss a play, or the people around you could be getting up or buying something from a vendor causing you to miss a play...so I said "even if it's a routine grounder to SS, show it"

Last week I was at one of the Sox-Balt games and when Baltimore RF Nick Markakis made a diving catch, the Sox showed a replay of it!

P.S. There is a league edict from MLB that controversial or close calls cannot be shown, because if the ump blew the call it could incite the crowd and threaten the safety of the umpires. That's why you never see a close play on the bases shown, or a fair or foul ball call replayed on a stadium jumbo-tron.

DumpJerry
07-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Long story short:
I was at a Twins/Tigers game in Minny in 1984. Big game-with the Angels' loss earlier in the evening, the Twins needed a win to pull within one game of first in the West. We all know what the Tigers did that year.

Game went to the 10th inning. Kirk Gibson was on First when Chet Lemon hit a long single to Left. Gibson was waved Home and Tim Engle (Twins Catcher) blocked the plate with the ball and collided with Gibson, holding onto the ball. Gibson kept running past Home and turned around to step on Home when Engle tagged him with the ball in his bare hand. Still no call from the Ump. Gibson then stepped on Home and was called safe! They showed the replay repeatedly during the ensuing 20 minute argument. No penalties to the Twins for showing the replay. The ump (Vic Voltaggio) saw his crew go to the postseason without him that year.

Law11
07-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Not so much replays but the Sox need to do what St.Louis has done at their new place. They have a CF patio area and in the area where the field is not viewable (behind the batters eye) they have a large plasma screen showing the game live like any of the suites would have.

The sox could very easliy pull this off and make the game even more enjoyable for those walking the concourse in CF.

That and as an earlier post back in the beginning of the season mentioned putting screens on the sides of the fan deck for those seated in the outfield.

Fans in the RC and LC have no view of the Scoreboard or whats on it.
Simply show on these smaller screens whats on the main scoreboard
almost use as auxiliary screens for ths in the outfield.

INSox56
07-11-2006, 09:49 AM
P.S. There is a league edict from MLB that controversial or close calls cannot be shown, because if the ump blew the call it could incite the crowd and threaten the safety of the umpires. That's why you never see a close play on the bases shown, or a fair or foul ball call replayed on a stadium jumbo-tron.

Not to mention balls and strikes....they're forbidden as well, close calls or not

TheOldRoman
07-11-2006, 11:12 AM
And I don't agree with that rule. They show replays in football, and the crowd always goes nuts when they see that the ref got it wrong. But other than boos, nothing bad happens, and football crowds are a lot rowdier then baseball crowds. I don't think people would be throwing stuff or attacking the umpires if they saw a replay.

Shakey Bonez
07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Football shows close plays because it gives the head coaches a chance to CHALLENGE the play.

You'll rarely see a close play that could be overturned that hurts the home team shown on the Jumbotron at football stadiums because they want to force the opposing coach to rely on someone in the booth.

chisoxmike
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
There are still people that go to games that when there is a close play or a controversal ball or strike, they look to the jumbotron for a replay.

It's unbeliveable sometimes.

TheOldRoman
07-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Football shows close plays because it gives the head coaches a chance to CHALLENGE the play.

You'll rarely see a close play that could be overturned that hurts the home team shown on the Jumbotron at football stadiums because they want to force the opposing coach to rely on someone in the booth.
No, they always showed them. Even before the reinstated instant replay. And they show all bad calls, not just ones that could be challenged.