PDA

View Full Version : Favorite All-Star Game Moment in the last 40 years

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
What's your favorite All-Star Game moment of the last 40 years? Feel free to throw in anything else I may have forgotten.:smile: Even though I'm too young to remember, I've always enjoyed seeing clips of Reggie Jackson's home run in Tiger Stadium.

LuvSox
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Pete Rose is a jerk.

That game in Detroit could've been the best ever.

PK should have been MVP in Milwaukee.

I voted for Fred Lynn.

eriqjaffe
07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
2005: Mark Buehrle wins All-Star game, secures home-field advantage for Sox in World Series.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
2005:

:cubune

Iwritecode
07-11-2006, 10:03 AM
What, no choice for this?

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-01-09-inside-selig.jpg

KMKsuburbannoise
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
what about Randy Johnson throwing that ball over Kruk's head? That happened in the allstar game right? oh, and what about that fight that Piazza almost got in?

RKMeibalane
07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
what about Randy Johnson throwing that ball over Kruk's head? That happened in the allstar game right? oh, and what about that fight that Piazza almost got in?

The John Kruk incident happened in 1993, at Camden Yards.

The Piazza-Clemens fight happened in the 2000 World Series.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
The John Kruk incident happened in 1993, at Camden Yards.

The Piazza-Clemens fight happened in the 2000 World Series.

oh yeah, I remember why I thought it was the allstar game. I remember the announcers making a big fuss about Clemens facing Piazza in the allstar game. They were wondering if something was gonna happen. Ofcourse nothing did.

Uncle_Patrick
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Fred Lynn has also been a personal favorite for me. My first baseball glove was a Fred Lynn autographed model. My parents thought I was left-handed. Turns out I wasn't.

SOXPHILE
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
What, no choice for this?

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-01-09-inside-selig.jpg

That's actually my choice. Who's Your Bud and all his incompetence
exposed for all the world to see. Even though I was kinda pissed that the game would end in a tie, I also kept reminding myself that, hey, it's still a meaningless exhibition game/popularity contest. Mr. Swindling Used Car Salesman looked like quite the raging ass clown there, and it always made me laugh.

Iwritecode
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
That's actually my choice. Who's Your Bud and all his incompetence
exposed for all the world to see. Even though I was kinda pissed that the game would end in a tie, I also kept reminding myself that, hey, it's still a meaningless exhibition game/popularity contest. Mr. Swindling Used Car Salesman looked like quite the raging ass clown there, and it always made me laugh.

That would be a good choice but of course it led to one of the worst decisions in the history baseball in making the AS game "count".

Of course he still hasn't solved the problem of what to do if the game ends in a tie again. I would love to see that happen just to see what they do.

SOXPHILE
07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
That would be a good choice but of course it led to one of the worst decisions in the history baseball in making the AS game "count".

Of course he still hasn't solved the problem of what to do if the game ends in a tie again. I would love to see that happen just to see what they do.

True. I would like to see another tie, or what will he do if it rains for the next 3 days in Pittsburgh ?! Oh, the possibilities !:rolling:

Viva Medias B's
07-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I voted for Fred Lynn, but I want to give an honorable mention to Magglio hitting the HR off Jon Lieber in Seattle.

buehrle4cy05
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Ripken. I was a huge Ripken fan at the time (and still am), and that home run was awesome. That was the first All-Star game that I decided to watch beginning to end, and it was worth it (also seeing Maggs go deep off Lieber).

Frontman
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM

That was hilarious, but for me, what I loved was the A-rod giving over Shortstop to Ripken for an inning. THAT was a great moment, reminded me that even the big buck guys can have a lot of heart.

Front.

SoxFanPrope
07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Ripken. I was a huge Ripken fan at the time (and still am), and that home run was awesome. That was the first All-Star game that I decided to watch beginning to end, and it was worth it (also seeing Maggs go deep off Lieber).
Exactly the reason why I also voted for the Ripken moment.

TDog
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Pete Rose is a jerk. ...

But he played hard. Heck, he probably had money on the game.

Orta 4-6-3
07-13-2006, 10:46 AM
The Lynn slam. Probaly because I saw it in person at Old Comiskey. I can still see Dale Murphy taking a couple of steps back, then watching the ball land in right center, and the standing O Lynn got taking the field the next inning.

Hitmen77
07-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I think Pete Rose slamming into Ray Fosse is a LOWLIGHT of the last 40 years in A-S history. Making such a dangerous play in a showcase exhibition shows how little class he has. Don't give me this "he's hardnosed" crap. The games didn't even count back then.

Ironically, years later, when Pete Rose was sent to prison, he served his sentence in Ray Fosse's hometown.

Frontman
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
I think Pete Rose slamming into Ray Fosse is a LOWLIGHT of the last 40 years in A-S history. Making such a dangerous play in a showcase exhibition shows how little class he has. Don't give me this "he's hardnosed" crap. The games didn't even count back then.

Ironically, years later, when Pete Rose was sent to prison, he served his sentence in Ray Fosse's hometown.

I grew up in a baseball household. Most of my cousin's and brother played ball, and the biggest one was my uncle who played for the Cubs farm system back in the 50's as a catcher. I can count on one hand the amount of times I ever heard him get angry when talking baseball, and those few times have always been about the Pete Rose/Ray Fosse incident. To me, to see a man who played the game get pissed off over that play decades later tells me how classless Rose was in playing that way. Period.

Front

TheKittle
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM
The only thing that Pete Rose did wrong was standing over Fosse, who was clearly in pain, and taunting him. Running his ass over is part of the game and shows how much the AS used to mean to players, not because of money or home field but because of professional pride. Something that is very lacking in baseball right now.