PDA

View Full Version : Dye for AL MVP.

It's Time
07-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Is there anything this man isn't doing? Clutch on Offense and defense. He's got my vote.

MYBOYAJ
07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Ditto.

Jjav829
07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Dye has been great this year. However, the AL MVP is Jim Thome. What he has done for this lineup has been amazing.

Chips
07-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Dye has been amazing this year. However, the AL MVP is Jim Thome. What he has done for this lineup has been amazing.

Dye is ****ing awesome, however Thome is ****ing awesome as well.

It's Time
07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Dye has been amazing this year. However, the AL MVP is Jim Thome. What he has done for this lineup has been amazing.

But he does not play defense. Dye has been insane this year. Catch after amazing catch and big hit after big hit. Thome is great but JD has been sick.

Beer Can Chicken
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Agreed. Dye is having his awesome year due in large part to Thome hitting 2 batters ahead of him.

Britt Burns
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
League MVP? I can't even decide who our team MVP is...Dye, Thome, Konerko, Jenks, sometimes I think it might even be Crede for his solid offense and triple-plus gold glove defense. I suppose JD has had the best all-around season so far, but they have all been so clutch it's hard to pick one.

flo-B-flo
07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
If he kept it going all year and unless Thome put up ungodly numbers, Dye would have a shot. Sunday was an unreal performance and he's been pretty much doing it all year. Nice showing tonight in the HR contest.

Chisox003
07-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Thome's been great, but JD's defense has been nothing short of ****ing spectacular this year.

That does it for me. He's the AL MVP.

Edit: And I should add, in a big situation, the first guy I want up there is Jermaine.

Jjav829
07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
If he kept it going all year and unless Thome put up ungodly numbers, Dye would have a shot. Sunday was an unreal performance and he's been pretty much doing it all year. Nice showing tonight in the HR contest.

I'm not sure if you meant to make it, but that's a good point. We're talking about one half so far. Thome is more likely to continue to put up the numbers he is putting up. Dye has never hit more than 33 HRs in his career, whereas 40-45 HRs is a pretty regular thing for Thome.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Lets play 74+ more games and then talk about it.:smile:

MERPER
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Dye has my vote.... the offensive numbers are a wash to me...

Dye's defense is nearly impeccable in right field....

Furthermore, whenever we seem to be on a slide or not showing max effort, Jermaine does something to light a spark with his play or turns into the silent leader of how the game should be played...

Since putting on a White Sox uniform Jermaine has done nothing but good things, represented our organization with class and given 110%

JD for MVP all the way!!!

flo-B-flo
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if you meant to make it, but that's a good point. We're talking about one half so far. Thome is more likely to continue to put up the numbers he is putting up. Dye has never hit more than 33 HRs in his career, whereas 40-45 HRs is a pretty regular thing for Thome. Indeed. Dye and Thome have shined in front of the blosocks media. Now, on to Nyork. The yankee series is shaping up to be a huge thing for both teams. The quick start and all that in the second half.

Bobbo35
07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
You look at what Jermaine has done for the team this year and you have to say that he is the teams MVP to this point. The Sox do not get much love in the awards area so odds would be against him to get AL MVP if the year he is having continues.

Beer Can Chicken
07-10-2006, 11:18 PM
You look at what Jermaine has done for the team this year and you have to say that he is the teams MVP to this point. The Sox do not get much love in the awards area so odds would be against him to get AL MVP if the year he is having continues.
If Thome and Dye maintain their current pace, Thome would get more votes. He is one of a handful of players in MLB that strikes regular fear in the opposition. As good as Dye is, there is a different feeling when Thome is batting and swinging away. Thome is a prototypical superstar and the national media salivates over that type of thing.

oeo
07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
If Thome and Dye maintain their current pace, Thome would get more votes. He is one of a handful of players in MLB that strikes regular fear in the opposition. As good as Dye is, there is a different feeling when Thome is batting and swinging away. Thome is a prototypical superstar and the national media salivates over that type of thing.

Dye is the more dangerous hitter of the two, IMO. Thome is great, but he's still a pull hitter. Dye can take the ball anywhere, and can also take it deep.

Thome is a huge reason Dye is having such a great year, but I would take Dye over Thome in a situation to win a game.

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:26 AM
NO NO NO NO. If Jermaine wins MVP it'll just make him that much harder to re-sign for next year. He needs to continue to be over looked by the national media and finish somewhere around 20th in MVP voting. Thome can win it, he's already signed for next year :D:

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Has any player won the MVP and comeback player in the same year? Unless something dreadful happens(knock on wood) Thome has that award locked.

BV2005
07-11-2006, 03:04 AM
If Thome hits over 60 homers, with a .300 avg. i will say he should be the mvp, because that is the only way a DH should even be considered for the award. Otherwise I say Dye because of his outstanding hitting and fielding.

MRM
07-11-2006, 03:06 AM
If Thome hits over 60 homers, with a .300 avg. i will say he should be the mvp, because that is the only way a DH should even be considered for the award. Otherwise I say Dye because of his outstanding hitting and fielding.

So you agreed with Giambi winning over Frank?

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2006, 03:16 AM

All drug usage aside with giambi, they did put up very similar numbers, giambi i wanna say did play 1B while frank was majority DH

WhiteSox1983
07-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Dye has a nice 320 average, close in homeruns and rbis..... dye is a gold glove caliber defender as well. If they are gon give a rod the mvp last year over papi, then dye should get the al mvp this half season over thome and papi.

QCIASOXFAN
07-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Dye has my vote.

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2006, 03:21 AM
NO NO NO NO. If Jermaine wins MVP it'll just make him that much harder to re-sign for next year. He needs to continue to be over looked by the national media and finish somewhere around 20th in MVP voting. Thome can win it, he's already signed for next year :D:

I think he'd be hard to resign anyway. The reason we got JD is cause he was unreliable in the season. He had gotten the reputation of being damaged goods and unable to stay healthy in the season. Last season he was fully healthy and we saw what JD could do. But who knows, will the sox resign or try to get someone from the minors up.

TDog
07-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Sometimes I think Dye is the team's MVP. Sometimes I think Crede is the team's MVP, and thoughts occasionally drift toward Konerko. Mostly though, I think Thome is the MVP.

What makes this team special is that it's not just one or two guys. Anderson hit one of the 2-out ninth-inning game tying home runs. Iguchi hit the 2-out ninth-inning game tying slam. AJ hit the 2-out ninth inning game reversing home run against the Cubs. Look to the bench and Cintron has been the offensive star in a couple of games, as has Ozuna. This has been an incredible team. I had a literature professor in college who said you had to be over 40 to understand Shakespeare's King Lear. Maybe you have to be nearly 50 to understand just how good the White Sox are to compare them with the low point of the franchise. This team is what we used to dream of. For that matter, it's what Yankees fans sometimes dream of.

When the season's over, and I hope that won't be until late October, I'll have time to think about an MVP.

MRM
07-11-2006, 03:49 AM
I think he'd be hard to resign anyway. The reason we got JD is cause he was unreliable in the season. He had gotten the reputation of being damaged goods and unable to stay healthy in the season. Last season he was fully healthy and we saw what JD could do. But who knows, will the sox resign or try to get someone from the minors up.

The Sox got him because he had a hand shake deal with Kenny. Several other teams offered him more money before he actually signed and he turned them down because he had already agreed to sign with the Sox. This isn't a guy chasing dollar signs. If the Sox treat him fair, he'll re-sign. Kenny owes him a big pay day and Reinsdorf knows it. Unless someone offers something ridiculous for a mid-30's outfielder, he'll sign another 2 year deal with the Sox for something close to Konerko money. The offer better be there, at least. The Sox owe him that much, IMO.

TDog
07-11-2006, 04:06 AM
The Sox got him because he had a hand shake deal with Kenny. Several other teams offered him more money before he actually signed and he turned them down because he had already agreed to sign with the Sox. This isn't a guy chasing dollar signs. If the Sox treat him fair, he'll re-sign. Kenny owes him a big pay day and Reinsdorf knows it. Unless someone offers something ridiculous for a mid-30's outfielder, he'll sign another 2 year deal with the Sox for something close to Konerko money. The offer better be there, at least. The Sox owe him that much, IMO.

I trust the Sox won't use his good character to try to take advantage of him. I know some teams would. Every day I seem to hold Dye in even higher esteem. Others here must feel the same way. I haven't heard reference to the "Dye experiment" in about a year.

MRM
07-11-2006, 04:17 AM
I trust the Sox won't use his good character to try to take advantage of him. I know some teams would. Every day I seem to hold Dye in even higher esteem. Others here must feel the same way. I haven't heard reference to the "Dye experiment" in about a year.

He's the epitome of what the Sox are all about. High quality player, even higher quality person/team mate. He's one guy I wouldn't mind seeing "over" paid to keep him around.

Boozer
07-11-2006, 05:41 AM

I agree with this. I believe an MVP should play the field too. A DH would have to put up sick numbers to even be considered. Thome does have that chance though, but so far this season I have to give it to DYE!:gulp:

HerzogVon
07-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I had a literature professor in college who said you had to be over 40 to understand Shakespeare's King Lear. Maybe you have to be nearly 50 to understand just how good the White Sox are to compare them with the low point of the franchise.

Just what was the low point of the franchise? The Old Man was born in 1917. As bad as things were to occasionally become in parts of the 60s and 70s, it's hard to imagine a worse time to be a White Sox fan than during the period from 1920 to 1949. I was lucky. The 50s were a time of revival and witnessed the birth of the "Go Go Sox".

So much for digression. As nice a guy as he is and as much as he's done, it's hard for me to place my faith in a HR hitter like Thome. Dye would be my MVP right now. Consideration also has to go to Crede, the "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal MO." of "Damn Yankees" legend if ever there was one. And of course, there's AJ: What chemical reaction ever really takes place without a catalyst?

Jjav829
07-11-2006, 08:27 AM

We don't have to sign Dye for next year. We hold a $6 milliom option on him, though it's likely that the Sox would look to sign Dye for another 2-3 years.

rocky biddle
07-11-2006, 09:58 AM
A writer from Fox Sports agrees that JD is the first half MVP. His choices-
1- JD
2- Ortiz
3- Thome

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5772478?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8393)

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:13 PM
We don't have to sign Dye for next year. We hold a $6 milliom option on him, though it's likely that the Sox would look to sign Dye for another 2-3 years.

Isn't that a mutual option? If so Dye would have to agree to it and no agent worth a flip would let him.

slobes
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
I would love it more than anything if JD won AL MVP. It would throw most of the baseball nation into depression. It'd be great so see a guy as modest and unassuming as Dye win the award.

kravdog
07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Isn't that a mutual option? If so Dye would have to agree to it and no agent worth a flip would let him.

club option - $6mil, 1.5 buyout

Fake Chet Lemon
07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Love Thome, but he seems to strike out in key situations much more than Dye. Dye is the man, and the MVP.

hawkjt
07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
The one thing about Big JIm is that like any lefty he can be pitched to by a lefty reliever easier than a righty can control JD.

Granted , Jim got to Lopez on Sunday after whiffing on Sat. but the fact remains that lefty on lefty is much tougher than righty on righty which is why I like JD up #1 in any do or die situation.

As for MVP- Dye by an eyelash at this point due to defense and batting average.

As for next year- it is a great relief to know the sox can just exercise the option and guarantee that they will retain JD.

Long term? Not sure how many years the sox can hold off Sweeney and Owens but if JD keeps playing like this those guys may be trade bait.

TDog
07-11-2006, 03:05 PM
... Granted , Jim got to Lopez on Sunday after whiffing on Sat. but the fact remains that lefty on lefty is much tougher than righty on righty which is why I like JD up #1 in any do or die situation. ...

Really, that depends on both the pitcher and hitter. Some pitchers have more difficult motions and nastier breaking stuff. I don't believe Damaso Marte with the Sox, for example, got out as many left-handed hitters as he needed to, for whatever reason. Some right-handed hitters have as much trouble against southpaws as left-handed hitters do.

The reason a lefty-lefty situation is usually more to the pitcher's advantage than a righty-righty situation is that right-handed hitters see more right-handed pitchers than left-handed hitters see left-handed pitchers. Thome is going to be better at hitting lefties he has expereinced with than good lefties he hasn't seen.

That being said, Dye is probably a tougher out to more pitchers than Thome is.

BV2005
07-11-2006, 03:14 PM

well no, but i might be a bit bias because im a sox fan. I definatly think Giambi's MVP should be taken away because he admitted to using steroids. Frank Thomas did start at first base 30 games with a fielding % of .996, so he wasn't strickly a DH like Thome is this season, or Ortiz.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Somebody ought to make a poster or a grinder rule or something about our "power trio" of Thome, Konerko, and Dye and how the "Cream" rises to the top.
Then again, somebody has probably already thought of that...

MRM
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
club option - $6mil, 1.5 buyout

Cool. That's very unusual these days. Most option years are mutual at two different figures. If it's a club option there's no question the Sox will be exercising it.

MRM
07-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Really, that depends on both the pitcher and hitter. Some pitchers have more difficult motions and nastier breaking stuff. I don't believe Damaso Marte with the Sox, for example, got out as many left-handed hitters as he needed to, for whatever reason. Some right-handed hitters have as much trouble against southpaws as left-handed hitters do.

The reason a lefty-lefty situation is usually more to the pitcher's advantage than a righty-righty situation is that right-handed hitters see more right-handed pitchers than left-handed hitters see left-handed pitchers. Thome is going to be better at hitting lefties he has expereinced with than good lefties he hasn't seen.

That being said, Dye is probably a tougher out to more pitchers than Thome is.

Thome is and always has been a MUCH MUCH better hitter against right handers. This year:

Vs. lefties 109ABs 28hits 4HRs .257BA .776OPS
Vs. Righties 180ABs 58hits 26HRs .322BA 1.239OPS

That's a home run every 27.25 ABs against lefties and every 6.9 ABs against righties.

For his career He has hit .245 with a HR every 22.7 ABs and a .770OPS against lefties. Contrast that with .298 HR every 11.5 and 1.059OPS against righties.

Looking at those numbers, he's not just mediocre, he'd down right bad against lefties considering he's a power hitter. Too bad they couldn't have kept Frank to platoon against lefties:D::D:

RealMenWearBlack
07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Kevin Blackistone just said on Around the Horn that Jermaine Dye was his first half MVP. It's good to know that some of the national media is taking notice of Dye's season.