PDA

View Full Version : Best MLB pennant races of all time?

downstairs
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
So I'm bored with no Sox for 4 days...

I am curious... what do you all think the best regular season pennant races of all time are?

1951 NY Giants
1995 Seattle taking over California

Those two come to mind for me (I was not born in '51)

Fenway
07-10-2006, 07:12 PM
1967 American League

4 teams alive with 5 days to go Boston, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Aside from those already mentioned: 1908, both leagues.

goofymsfan
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
So I'm bored with no Sox for 4 days...

I am curious... what do you all think the best regular season pennant races of all time are?

1951 NY Giants
1995 Seattle taking over California

Those two come to mind for me (I was not born in '51)

I have to go with the M's in '95. They were 13 games out of first and made a run at the wild card but didn't stop there. They went on to tie the Angels and beat them in a one game play off. It was the first time the M's went to the playoffs.

RKMeibalane
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I have to go with the M's in '95. They were 13 games out of first and made a run at the wild card but didn't stop there. They went on to tie the Angels and beat them in a one game play off. It was the first time the M's went to the playoffs.

And they made much of their run without Ken Griffey Jr. He missed more than half the season with a broken wrist, and didn't make it back until August.

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2006, 02:13 AM
I do have to make a offer for this past season, for the simple fact at how the sox went thru that horrid august and the fear\dark cloudin that went on with the indians. I mean the Indians were the ones to blow it in the end and couldnt finish it off. I mean comeon, cleveland had 93 wins and didnt make the post season, how often has that happened since they split the divisions

TommyJohn
07-11-2006, 07:50 AM
To mention a different one-1964 National League. Phillies up by 6.5 with
12 to go and wind up blowing it. On the last day of the season both the
Phillies and Reds were 1 game in back of St. Louis.

Thome25
07-11-2006, 08:36 AM
1993 Giants-Braves. The Braves finished 104-58 and the Giants finished 1 game back at 103-59.

How do you win 103 games and miss the playoffs? Thank God for the new wildcard format. That has to be one of the greatest pennant races of all time.

soxfan13
07-11-2006, 09:59 AM
1993 Giants-Braves. The Braves finished 104-58 and the Giants finished 1 game back at 103-59.

How do you win 103 games and miss the playoffs? Thank God for the new wildcard format. That has to be one of the greatest pennant races of all time.

Beat me to it!!

mrfourni
07-11-2006, 10:24 AM
The astros second half run to the World Series deserves an honorable mention.

PaulDrake
07-11-2006, 11:01 AM
In 1964 the Phillies blew a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 to play, and lost the pennant on the last day of the season. In the AL the White Sox were eliminated the previous day and finished 1 game behind the Yanks. 1964 was much more frustrating for me as a young lad than 1967 ever was. That team had one of the best pitching staffs in my lifetime. Unfortunately they lost to the Yanks the first ten times they played them.

Johnny Mostil
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
'78 AL East? Red Sox had such a huge lead at one point that Reggie Jackson said not even Affirmed (Triple Crown winner that year) would catch them. Yankees finally do catch the Red Sox after the "Boston Massacre" in early September. But Red Sox win eight straight (games 155 through 162) to force Bucky Dent playoff game. Was that a pennant race or the baseball equivalent of an Ali-Frazier fight?

Johnny Mostil
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I mean comeon, cleveland had 93 wins and didnt make the post season, how often has that happened since they split the divisions

Mariners '03, Red Sox '02, and Reds '99 also won at least 93 but didn't make the playoffs, as I recall.

Has anybody mentioned the '48 AL race yet?

Lip Man 1
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I am absolutely shocked.

No mention of the GREATEST race of all time?????

The 1967 race for the American League pennant!

Gang going into the FINAL WEEK it was still possible for the A.L. to have to figure out how to break a FOUR WAY tie for the pennant.

Has that ever happened before? Answer: No.

That final week it was possible to go from first place to fourth place in a single afternoon.

The pennant wasn't actually decided until the final weekend when the Red Sox swept the Twins. The other teams involved that stirring summer were the White Sox (who despite a team season batting average of .241 led the league from June until mid August, then came back in September) and the Tigers.

Hands down gang there is no discussion about this question, it's 1967. And remember there were no divisions, no wild card's, it was win or go home.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
07-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I am absolutely shocked.

Gang going into the FINAL WEEK it was still possible for the A.L. to have to figure out how to break a FOUR WAY tie for the pennant.

That final week it was possible to go from first place to fourth place in a single afternoon.

The pennant wasn't actually decided until the final weekend when the Red Sox swept the Twins. The other teams involved that stirring summer were the White Sox (who despite a team season batting average of .241 led the league from June until mid August, then came back in September) and the Tigers.

Hands down gang there is no discussion about this question, it's 1967. And remember there were no divisions, no wild card's, it was win or go home.

Lip

You missed Fenway at http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1230396&postcount=2.

I wouldn't rank it with the '67 AL race, but the '73 NL East race had some of the same features you mention above, with five teams in the last week fighting for the divisional title. Then again, with 82 wins ultimately being enough to win the division, maybe the '73 NL East race was more of a train wreck than a pennant race. (Although, in fairness, I suppose I should also note the winner of that race later had a 3-2 lead in the World Series . . .)

Orta 4-6-3
07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I am absolutely shocked.

Lip

I agree. Four teams within 1/2 game of each other, and three teams alive on the last day. And it was a dogfight all summer. Despite the horrible ending, '67 no question.

Fenway
07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I agree. Four teams within 1/2 game of each other, and three teams alive on the last day. And it was a dogfight all summer. Despite the horrible ending, '67 no question.

Baseball was dead in Boston by 1966. Opening day of the 1967 season at Fenway the crowd was just over 8,000. The fans came back to Fenway in 1967 and they haven't left since.

Johnny Mostil
07-11-2006, 10:20 PM

I suppose it's all a matter of tastes. But for the sake of friendly discussion, let me make a case for '78.

Yeah, the '67 race was close all year, but the drama of what both the Yankees and the Red Sox did in '78 is very tough to beat. The Yanks came back from 14 down in July. Gutsy performance. The Red Sox, even after the Yanks had destroyed them in Fenway (aggregate score of 42-9), came back from 3.5 games with about two weeks to go, including an eight-game winning streak to finally tie the Yanks on the last day of the season. Another gutsy performance. And it was topped off by the Bucky Dent game.

There's no doubt in my mind that both the '78 Yanks and the '78 Red Sox were considerably better than any of the teams involved in the '67 AL race. Unlike the '67 Red Sox, the '78 Yanks won the World Series. In fact, I think the '78 Red Sox would have gone on to win the Series fairly easily had they gotten past the Dent game.

So what do you prefer? Two great teams battling ferociously down the stretch and each making very dramatic moves? Or several good teams hanging with each other all year? Put in horse racing terms, I'm hard-pressed to think of a greater race than the '78 Belmont, even though there were really only two horses involved, although I know there have been other races, maybe even that year, involving more horses with tighter finishes. And no, I don't think the lack of a win-or-go-home finish to the '78 AL East race really matters, because I'm fairly sure any knowledgeable observer that year realized that race really was for it all. (I think Bob Verdi even claimed same in Tribune the day after the Dent game, but my memory may be failing me and, anyway, I couldn't find a cite.)

I know a very good case can be made for '67--or for several other years mentioned in this thread. (I'm also somewhat partial to Fred Merkle and the '08 NL race.) But is there "no question" that '67 is "the GREATEST race of all time"? Well, I think you need a rather Soxcentric view to claim so. Not that there's anything wrong with that:wink: . . .

PKalltheway
07-12-2006, 12:12 AM
The Astros' second half comback last year was nothing short of amazing. 15-30 to start the season and coming back to win the Wild Card and the National League Pennant. IIRC, the Astros, at one point, were in LAST PLACE during last year.:o:

TheKittle
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
This is more the last three games of the year but in 1980 the Dodger and Astros battled it out for the NL West. The Dodgers were down to the Astros by 3 games, with three games to go against the Astros, at Dodger Stadium. Friday's game went in extra innings and ended with a Joe Ferguson HR. It wasn't called a walk off home run back then. Sat, the Dodgers beat Ryan and Sun they won another 1 one run game. They would lose the one game playoff becauseTommy decided to start Dave Goltz instead of Fernando.

The 82 race between the Braves and Dodgers was pretty good too.

Then that "fat tub of goo" Forester gave up a HR to Joe I CAN NEVER SHUT THE **** UP Morgan, of the Giants and cost the Dodgers the division.

FireMariotti
05-05-2007, 03:32 AM
http://www.baseballrace.com/main_racePlayer.asp

Good website to look up any pennant race. Somebody was talking about the 2002 race. The Twins ran away with it. We were close until about the midway point.

The 2005, 2000, and 1983 races are fun to watch. The 1967 one breaks your heart.

Fenway
05-05-2007, 08:28 AM
1951 National League has to be included as well.

Gave us the most famous radio call of all time

Brooklyn leads it 4-2...Hartung down the line at third not taking any chances... Lockman without too big of a lead at second, but he'll be running like the wind if Thomson hits one... Branca throws...
There's a long drive, it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're going crazy, they're going crazy! Ohhhhh-oh!!!'' Russ Hodges WMCA Radio October 3, 1951

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
The 1-game N.L. playoff when Roy Hobbs putting the pennant-clinching 2-run dinger into the rafters at old Knights Field against the Pirates.

:redneck

Hitmen77
05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
1967 American League

4 teams alive with 5 days to go Boston, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit

I am absolutely shocked.

Lip

So, what did Fenway do to earn a spot on your ignore list? :tongue:

Southsider101
05-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Best regular season race: 1967.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1967.shtml

Brian26
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM

And then beat the Yankees in a sensational 5-game ALDS with Game Five decided by a two-run double in the bottom of the 9th inning by Edgar (off Black Jack McDowell) with the M's trailing by one. I believe Griffey scored all the way from first on the play. The Kingdome was crazy at that point.