PDA

View Full Version : A question for out of town Sox fans.

Chips
07-10-2006, 06:35 PM
For those of you that do not live in the Chicago area, why did you become a Sox fan?

I suspect many of you moved from Chicago and kept your loyalties.

HartmanSox
07-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I was just intrigued by the Sox when I was 6 years old. The rest is history.

DSpivack
07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
There was a thread about this awhile back.

Xx i am error xX
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Frank.

1951Campbell
07-10-2006, 07:30 PM
My dad was a Sox fan, and growing up in Milwaukee we got WMAQ loud and clear, plus a fair amount of games on WGN. The Brewers were in the AL and Sox/Brewers game were a big deal. Being 8 years old in 1983 sealed it.

dividedsk717
07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
In this part of Indiana, you pretty much cheer for either the Cubs, Reds or Cardinals. I knew I didn't want to cheer for the Reds with more than a passing interest, and that cheering for the Cubs was out of the question ... the choice seemed logical (my dad being a Yankees fan taught me at a young age that the American League was superior to the National League). The rest is history.

soxjim
07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
My entire family was born in Chicago. They moved to Rockford in 1965. A year before I was born.

Pequod
07-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Genuine south sider currently in exile.

bigfoot
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Quite possibly by pure chance. When I was 6y/o the Little League I was in had a bus trip to Old Comiskey in mid/late August. A bunch of little kids from a small town in Indiana riding a yellow school bus on a sunsplashed Sunday morning. Walking, on air, through the gates to the spectacle of the greenest grass I'd ever seen, especially during an August dry spell. The sounds, smells and sights of the old park were more than enough to sell a young boy. The White Sox had a new fan for life! I would like to find out just who made the choice of the White Sox game and thank them personally, but I think that they must have had a good idea what they were doing. We went for 6 straight years and always to Comiskey.

MarySwiss
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
For those of you that do not live in the Chicago area, why did you become a Sox fan?

You got it, Chipsy. :D:

Zisk77
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Lived in Arlington Heights until I moved to ATL at 14. Parents came from South side (Burbank).

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I was just intrigued by the Sox when I was 6 years old. The rest is history.

That would pretty much apply to me. I didn't really start following the Sox for good until I was in sixth grade. Before then, I liked the Sox, but I just wasn't "hooked" so to speak.

OkStateSox
07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
My dad was a big Ventura fan (Robin played at OSU) so he started to root for the Sox when I was very young. He hasnt a serious fan or anything but I remember Sox games being on TV every once and a while as a young kid. I also liked the pinstripe uniforms (I didnt even know the Yankees had similar uniforms until I was like 7). It was just those little things that got me calling myself a Sox "fan". Then when I got a little bit older and started to play baseball and understand the game better I really became a fan.

ohiosoxfan12
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
The first game that I went to was the Sox vs. Indians, and everyone that I was with wanted the Indians to win, so i went for the sox. Loved them ever since. This was 10 years ago!

PeoriaSoxFan
07-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I am Sox fan, because I have superior intelligence to other people who live around here.

bluestar
07-10-2006, 10:42 PM
In 1977 I was a senior in HS in Bowling Green, KY. Most of my friends were Reds fans. I didn't want to like the Reds, because everyone else did. My Dad subscribed to some sports magazines, and I read something about the Southside Hitmen from the Chicago White Sox. I thought that sounded tough and cool. I also liked the fact that the Sox had a lot of history (although I didn't know much about it). I just more or less adopted them as my favorite team. I followed them as best I could mostly through the daily newspapers.

But it really wasn't until the early 90's after I moved to Nashville that I became the diehard fan I am now. By then it was easier to follow the team. I could watch some of the games on WGN, and I discovered I could even listen to games from Chicago when weather conditions were just right. I actually attended my first live game in Chicago in '93. The Nashville Sounds became the AAA affiliate of the Sox, so I bought season tickets and went to most of the AAA games during those years.

CRAW
07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Around the time Bo, yes Bo Jackson, was playing for us I thought "hey, nobody around here roots for the White Sox. Why don't I?" Then came The Big Hurt, and like someone else posted, the rest is history.

I love 'em!!!

Epark84
07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Born in evergreen park....parents from mt greenwood and oaklawn. Moved all over (wisc, iowa and now bleeping minnesota). Always a chicagoan at heart

NDSox12
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM

Your suspicion is certainly correct in my case. I lived in the Chicago area all the way through college. I moved to the DC area a month after I graduated and have been here since. Also, I was born a White Sox fan as my dad's family has always been Sox fans.

Thanks to MLB Extra Innings and WSI, its like I never left, because I watch and follow the team more closely than ever now!

Dolanski
07-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I grew up on the Northside, does that count as "out of town?" :D:

WSDaytonOH
07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
My Grandpa played in the Sox minor leagues. My Mom grew up at Addison and Western. My whole family are Flub fans. In '83 I asked my Grandpa if it would be OK to root for the Sox with him. I'll never forget watching those games with him.

Moved to Ohio in '99, my 3 year old son is definitly a Sox fan. He knows the words to "Take me out to the ball game" and sings Root root root for the White Sox. He also knows the words to "Go Go White Sox." This is one of my finest moments as a Father.

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:03 AM
My Grandpa played in the Sox minor leagues.

Ironic. My grandfather was a pitcher in the Cubs organization before WWII ended his baseball career. I, myself, had 4 different tryouts with the Reds. Also Ironic is that I lived in Dayton OH for four years, met my wife there and both of our kids were born there.

To answer the original question...I was born and raised on the South side. That in itself makes it a law to be a Sox fan.

kingpin_rcs
07-11-2006, 01:05 AM
I grew up in NWI. A friend tok me to a Sox game in 1984, Scott Fletcher (of all people) hit a homer and I was hooked. I moved out here in 1995 and my loyalties have never waned. The internet and satellite technology has really grown in that time so it is a lot easier to see or hear the games. Just as easy as if I was living in Chicago.

Howerver, It was really hard not being in Chicago in October.

QCIASOXFAN
07-11-2006, 02:41 AM
I was born in Chicago and then moved when I was 3 months old to Dubuque. My dad is in the Army and was away while I lived their until I was 2. We moved several places New York, San Antonio and Wisconson before settling in Davenport when I was 11. I then spent a lot of time in Dubuque because my dad was away at my aunt and uncles. This is where uncle Steve took me under his wing as a Sox fan. The rest is history. It would also piss me off when I was young because Dubuque got FC and Davenport did not.

TDog
07-11-2006, 03:00 AM
I grew up in Highland and Munster (mostly) In Northwest Indiana with an unfortunate stop in Dallas, Texas, in between. Since college downstate, my closest job has been in suburban Milwaukee. I did additionally root for the San Diego Padres when they were my home team and even went to the World Series in 1984 (thank you, Cubs), but cheering for a winner didn't mean anything until the Sox won.

Anyone can be a Yankees fan. For that matter, anyone can be a Cubs fan, as long as it is popularity you seek and winning that doesn't matter. It took a lot of character to be a White Sox fan, and the rewards at the end of last October were unparalleled in the annals of sport.

Thome25
07-11-2006, 05:51 AM
I was born in Chicago. My family and I lived in Bridgeport when I was very young. After that we moved to the southwest suburbs. I was born and raised in Chicago as a southsider.

3 years ago I moved to northeastern Maryland. I am a die-hard Sox fan and I will NEVER change my loyalties. I will be a Sox fan until the day I die. The area I live in is 99% Phillies fans. There is also a ton of Red Sox and Yankees fans here as well.

I am proud to say that I'm a Sox fan and I am helping "hold down the fort" for the Sox army here on the east coast.

White City
07-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I had just moved to a part of Virginia near the Maryland border, didn't adjust very well (I was nine), and it was Orioles-Sox in the '83 ALCS. Everyone was on the O train, so I decided, in spite, to go the other way.

I stuck around for Carlton Fisk. He was who I imagined I was whenever I played. And Howie Long was the same for football. They both went into their respective halls of Fame in the same week (or were named, maybe?). Great Week!

I have been to more White Sox road games (six?) then home games (1*).

* In 1990, a friend and I -- the summer after graduating high school -- drove a Mustang form Virginia to Chicago in hopes of seeing Fisk's record home run. Instead, we saw what was at the time the longest rainout in major league history. It was the last game against Texas in Chicago, and they didn't want to have to make it up on the road, so they waited until dark to call the thing. I got to see some of the players, saw that History of the White Sox video on the Jumbotron at least 15 times, and saw that Robin-punchin' jerk Nolan Ryan throwing footballs in the outfield. But no actual game. Got to sit in Old Comiskey, but have never been able to make it to the Cell. I've been to Chicago several times since, but the Sox have never been in town when I was. Some day. It was nice to see them in Atlanta, my new home, this spring.

stl_sox_fan
07-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Born and raised in Central Illinois. As a little kid I saw Harold Baines on TV and thought his high leg kick was cool. The rest is history. Been working in St Louis for six years and haven't changed sides yet.

WisSoxFan
07-11-2006, 08:02 AM
I was 8 years old in 1972 and my two best buddies (brothers that were my neighbor) dad was a huge Sox fan. He would have us sit by the radio and listen to Harry Cary. He also took me to first Sox game that year. Dick Allen, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Ed Herrmann, et al. Beat the Brewers in Comiskey. 6-1 I believe was the score. I seldom get to any Sox games. It's a 3+ hour drive one way, but I plan on taking my two boys (7 months and 23 months) when they are old enough to sit and watch a game. I can't wait!

chopperjc
07-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Moved from Chicago, went to my first game in 1967 and have been hooked since, Dad was a Sox fan and past it along. Live in Miami now but my passion is just as high. Will be making my yearly trip in September.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2006, 08:18 AM
I became a fan in 1983 when my family moved to the southwest suburbs. When I moved to Texas in 1999, I took my loyalties with me.

Here's a more interesting story: Although he's not strictly a White Sox fan (he also likes the Dodgers and Cardinals), my father-in-law was quite pleased when the Sox won it all. Apparently in the 1960s the White Sox had a minor league affiliate in the DFW area. Also, a local DFW-area radio station was part of the White Sox radio network in the 1960s. So, he grew up listening to Sox games on the radio (this was before the Washington Senators moved to Texas to become the Rangers). In 1970, he and his parents took the train to Chicago and he saw his first MLB game at Comiskey Park. Even though that team was perhaps the worst in White Sox history, the 1970 White Sox hold a special place in his heart. When I started dating his daughter (my wife) in 2000, it helped immensely that I was a White Sox fan. (It also helped that I grew up along the Rock Island railroad tracks in Mokena, since his favorite railroad was the Rock Island!).

CRAW
07-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Moved to Ohio in '99, my 3 year old son is definitly a Sox fan. He knows the words to "Take me out to the ball game" and sings Root root root for the White Sox. He also knows the words to "Go Go White Sox." This is one of my finest moments as a Father.

LOL - I taught my two year old son the same! Now he sings it for everyone. :smile:

Baby Fisk
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
When I was a kid growing up in Ontario, some of the darker matter in my brain decided that I should go through life as an alienated baseball fan, an outcast among my own people, alone in my passion. So the Fates opened my eyes and I saw... baseball players, in crazy sailor suit uniforms, navy blue with floppy collars and knee-high white hosiery. This would be my team. I picked my side and stuck with it. On October 26, 2005, the Fates returned and said: "Okay kiddo, you've earned this. Enjoy yourself!"

http://www.nfl-nba-mlb-nhl.com/images/baseball/sox10.jpg

INSox56
07-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Family, plain and simple. Grandfather, huge sox fan...so now all the family is! My cousin is who has season tix with me as a matter of fact. Someone mentioned about other parts of Indiana being...well, not sox fans...yeah, going to Purdue was rough; all lame crappy scrubs fans down there (or bandwagon Sox)

Paulwny
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Growing up in the Buffalo, NY area all yankmee games, as today, were available on the radio. Mel Allen turned me into a sox fan in 1955.

soxfanatlanta
07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
It was my destiny. My father, and grandfather grew up in Summit, which is Sox territory. My first game was against the Orioles back in 1467 AD or something, and I've never been to Wrigley (moved away before interleague). My dad went there...for Bears games. :smile:

Iwritecode
07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I've mentioned it before but it's because my best friend is a Cubs fan. :D:

We used to play baseball on Nintendo all the time. He would always pick the Cubs. I of course also wanted a "local" team so naturally I would always pick the Sox. It just kind of grew from there.

It didn't work so well when we tried to play a football or basketball game...

EastCoastSoxFan
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Growing up in Chicago, my dad was a Sox / Cardinals fan back in the days when the Chicago Cardinals played football at Comiskey Park, and he passed on his Sox fandom (and Cubs loathing) to my brother and me.

I've been living on the east coast for almost 16 years now, and I have never given the slightest thought to switching my sports loyalties.

Not that Philadelphia hasn't had a few good sports teams since I've been out here, but I guess since my Chicago sports fandom goes back to early childhood I could never seriously follow any other city's teams...

sox84
07-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I am smack in the middle of Cardinal/Cub territory. Not sure I could name you an AL player until a stint in the military. A cousin lived in the area when I was stationed in Southern California and got me started going to Angel games. When I got back here, distance and lack of news and ability to keep track of them eventually made Angels fade, but I never could get interested in NL teams again. Picked up on the Sox in their 83 division champion club and have been there ever since, though they really tested me letting Ventura walk, and bringing Albert Belle here. :o:

markopat
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Born in Streator, IL...:?:

Moved North to Rockford, IL area when I was 4...became a SOX fan at 5 because my Aunts in Chicago were all Scrub fans...I think it was originally just to get under their skin! :D:

Moved to AZ about 4 years ago and there are a TON of Scrub fans here. Seems like every other person I meet out here is from the Chicago area and most are Cub Fans. I get a lot of dirty looks when I wear my gear! Especially my C-hoked hat!

Sure has paid off though!!!

sox420fan
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Moved to Louisville 2 years ago. Lifelong Sox fan ever since my Father convinced me at a young age that wearing a Cubs hat caused brain damage.

In the process of coming home for good. Wish me luck!!!:bandance:

hawkjt
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
My parents were from NW Iowa and honeymooned in Chicago and took in a game cuz my dad played a lot of baseball as a youth before WW2. My dad became a sox fan and so even out in NW Iowa I followed. I became a second baseman cuz of Nellie, had a nellie bat and glove.

Then we went to Twins -Sox games in Minny. That sealed it for me.

Obviously- long time sox fan now living in chicago.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Born in Streator, IL...:?:

Moved North to Rockford, IL area when I was 4...became a SOX fan at 5 because my Aunts in Chicago were all Scrub fans...I think it was originally just to get under their skin! :D:

Moved to AZ about 4 years ago and there are a TON of Scrub fans here. Seems like every other person I meet out here is from the Chicago area and most are Cub Fans. I get a lot of dirty looks when I wear my gear! Especially my C-hoked hat!

Sure has paid off though!!!

Hmmmm, interesting. It doesn't seem to me as though I meet that many more Cubs fans than Sox fans, but that's probably because I hang around in a Sox-fan-owned sports bar.

However, one thing I cannot stand is that whenever you meet someone from somewhere else and they find out you're from Chicago, they automatically assume you're a Cubs fan. (I've straightened out a lot of people over the past 10 years on that score!) However, I'm not getting as much of that since they won it all, but that's probably because I'm always wearing Sox gear. :D:

hula
07-12-2006, 08:15 AM
What a fun thread! I grew up on the SW side and was there till college. Moved back twice and have been in NC now for nearly 18 years.

At the age of four I saw a baseball helmet on my cousin's desk with S-O-X written on it. He never wore it, it just sat there like a shrine. I knew it was something important...

In the mid '60's Louie Aparicio was my hero. Loved watching Melton, May, Wood, John, etc. too. In grade school I had a sweatshirt with White Sox on the front (red design with player swinging bat in the middle and a white sock on it) and ironed my name on the back with Louie's number 11 under it). When we'd play ball in the alley I'd wear it and always pretended to be Louie.

My first game was on July 19, 1970 for Louie Aparicio day. I was in heaven! I still have the commemorative program now on the wall in a frame in our rec room. I missed his celebration at Sox park the year he got in the Hall of Fame, but am coming to the Cell for the statue dedication for him and Nellie Fox on 7/23 .

I also have a brick with his name (with my initials between his first and last name) outside the Durham Bulls ballpark where I live. Yes, I know they're not a minor league Sox team, but it was closest I could get and a way to honor him. I talked with the marketing guy at the Charlotte Knights about doing a similar thing (dedicate a brick fund raiser) if they get the ok to build a new ballpark for the team in Charlotte, which right now is just across the border in Fort Mill, SC. He thought it was a great idea. Then I can put one there as well.

Yep, I'm a Whtie Sox fan, through and through and that'll never change! :D:

Deuce
07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I suspect many of you moved from Chicago and kept your loyalties.Bingo. And with the wife in the Air Force, it looks like I am going to be a traveling White Sox fan for a while. Funny enough, that is the rational I used to justify buying an away jersey instead of a home jersey last month. :D:

asindc
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Grew up in South Bend. Sox were the first team my brother and I rooted for, period, even before Notre Dame. My dad always took us to Comiskey, even though he is also a Cubs fan. Though baseball is not my favorite sport, the Sox have always been my favorite team.

Incidentally, I'm going to NY to see the Sox play on Saturday. I always tell Yanks fans in my office that the feeling we experienced last year cannot be described or compared. Only Boston fans can possibly relate. I'm not sure I'd trade the Yanks' history for ours at this point, given what the past 16 months have been like.

Kind of interesting note: I play poker up in Atlantic City about 3-4 times a year. I always wore my Sox cap at the table. Before last year, only on occasion would someone comment on it. Now, I always get comments about it, especially when Yanks and Boston fans are both at the table. The Yanks fan love rubbing it in the Boston fans' faces about us sweeping them last year. The Cubs fan out here, for the most part, want to avoid a conversation, for some reason.:cool:

ondafarm
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
My mother founded the Nellie Fox fan club and when she married my parents agreed to be unified on the three things in Chicago which seperate people: politics, religion and baseball. My mother picked first and since then all of her household are White Sox fans.

On the day I was born, Nellie Fox happened to be passing thru Chicago (he'd since been traded/ sold to the Houston Colt .45s) but he interupted his trip to visit my mother and I (on day one) at the hospital.

I've been a Sox fan since day one and location has never mattered. Arctic Circle, Antarctic Circle, all points in between, I am a Chicago White Sox fan. ((Although not always able to get to as many games as I want.))

SCarolina_Ron
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
While not born in the Chicago area, I went to grade school in Oak Park from '57-'63 (Yeah, I'm an old fart:cool: ) and the seed was sown. I loved Louie, Nellie and all the rest of the original Go Go Sox. I've lived many places since then but never lost my love for the Sox. I spent much time listening through the static to night games on whatever radio stations the Sox were on and continually tried to find good AM radios and antennas. When cable tv first came out they had a channel that streamed scores and I can remember just watching that to follow how a game was going. I went to Sox games in Detroit in 77-79 and in KC in 83-84.

I travel alot and watch the Sox on MLBTV.com. My work brought me to Chicago this year and got to go to 2 games (First time to USCF and first time to see a game in Chicago in 34 years.

I brought up my son as a Sox fan (he loved Big Frank) but he got real turned off after the strike in the mid-nineties. He's coming back around now though and will watch games with me.

Probably a whole lot more than needed to answer the question but that's my story.

credeistheman
07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
raised on the southside---college/law school/and now work in nyc.

markopat
07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
However, one thing I cannot stand is that whenever you meet someone from somewhere else and they find out you're from Chicago, they automatically assume you're a Cubs fan. (I've straightened out a lot of people over the past 10 years on that score!) However, I'm not getting as much of that since they won it all, but that's probably because I'm always wearing Sox gear. :D:

OMG...this is SO true out here! You can even be wearing SOX gear (which I do almost every day) and they still make the "cub" comment...It's like..."are you blind AND stupid?"

HAHAHA...great observation!

samram
07-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Right on, in my case.

TDog
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
OMG...this is SO true out here! You can even be wearing SOX gear (which I do almost every day) and they still make the "cub" comment...It's like..."are you blind AND stupid?"

HAHAHA...great observation!

I don't know what it is about people and the Cubs. It's like a suspension of reality overtakes them. In 1984 when I was back in Northwest Indiana for Christmas, a cousin was impressed that I had gone to the World Series in San Diego. She asked me what it was like and finally, being a Cubs fan, asked, "Wouldn't it have been something if the Cubs were in it?'

"Well, my tickets were for a game in San Diego," I said.

I talked to a former Juneau mayor who told me he was a Sox fan, despite growing up in Washington state. He said he liked Jim Rivera.

boiler up
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
southsider away at school

Thome25
07-13-2006, 06:07 AM

This happens to me ALOT.:angry: Whenever I meet someone for the first time and I get to talking to them and I tell them I'm from Chicago. Their first response is "Oh yeah? Are you a Cubs fan?" This was especially bad in 2003. When I tell them I'm a White Sox fan the response is usually "Oh"

My fiance is from Maryland and she was telling someone she works with recently that I'm from Chicago. What was their first response? "Is he a Cubs fan?" Luckily, she had the right response which was: "Noooooooo he HATES the Cubs. He's a White Sox fan."

2005gosoxgo
07-14-2006, 06:55 AM
I got into the Sox in 1990, when I was around 15. I saw Robin and Black Jack starting to show up and I was just interested by them. Since 1991, I have not missed one game at Yankee stadium when the Sox arrive:rolleyes: Even the Easter Sunday one they lost a few years back to Mussina. I also try to go down to Baltimore and up to Boston as well every season :)

GO SOX!

tlebar318
07-14-2006, 07:00 AM

I was born in the "shadow" of Old Comiskey and lived at 34th and Wallace to get my story started....It was in the blood from the beginning and still is all these 41 years later in Orlando! Go Sox! :bandance:

VASoxfan1
07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Both my parents grew up on the South Side, my mom's a sox fan and my dad's an indians fan (his dad was from cleveland). Made for a long august/september last year.....But because of the frequent trips to chicago/WGN i picked up on the sox instead of indians (excellent choice/luck on my part)

Two notes on being an out of town fan:
1) In telling people i'm a sox fan i've just about heard it all including:
"i've never heard of them, i thought the cubs were from chicago"
"why didn't you pick the cubs"
"oh" and my favorite
"i don't think i've ever met one before" (in reference to a white sox fan)

2) There's a guy from chicago in a bunch of my classes who's a cubs fan, he went on to make the assertion, "it doesn't count because your not from chicago" and "pretty much every sox fan i meet isn't from chicago" needless to say i haven't let him forget who won the world series

Britt Burns
07-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I suppose I am in the minority in that I have never lived in Chicago and am a lifelong Sox fan. My great-grandfather worked in the steel mills in Gary, and he used to go to Sox games as often as he could. He started taking my dad when he was old enough and got him hooked, and then my dad passed it on to me.

mccoydp
07-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I decided to become a baseball fan in the last few months of the 1990 season to vary my interests. New Comiskey Park, Frank Thomas, and Robin Ventura all grabbed my attention. I decided to choose the Sox as designated team to follow, although I remember getting caught up in the Braves and Oakland A's for a while too. My brother started watching baseball around the same time (~1991), and he was a big A's fan. Too bad he missed their glory years. We did catch the Braves at the right time, though...I stopped watching them when I tired of National League baseball.
I dedicated my fandom solely to the Sox in 1992 when I attended my first year of college at Illinois Tech, and I've been a fan ever since. I attended 13 games at the park from 1992-1993...would have done more, but I was a poor college student. :smile:
I've missed watching some of the seasons due to overseas military service (Korea, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia), and suffered though periods of no WGN on cable, but I've always kept up with them. If that meant reading boxscores in the paper, or reading recaps of the games, then that's what did.

Thank goodness for MLB TV :D:, and thanks to you guys for filling in details of games that I never got to see.

batmanZoSo
07-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't live out of town, but when I go out of town, I take my loyalties with me. Case in point, last night I went to Skokie...totally brought my Sox loyalties with me.

Sxy Mofo
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Like many sox fans (and bears fans i watch the game with) out here, I'm a transplant and loyalty is key.

MISoxfan
07-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Southwest Michigan is about a 50/50 split of Sox fans and Cub fans and my dad raised me a Sox fan.

I've heard they are adding a new stop to the South Shore to accomodate US Cellular. If you've ever taken the Southshore on a Sunday during football season you can see how many Bears fans there are riding that thing to the games. I hope the same thing can happen with the Sox.

soxfanreggie
07-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I grew up in a Sox household and fell in love at an early age. I have known many Sox players and personnel through family connections my entire life. One of my earliest memories is going to visit my uncle and having 4 Sox players top by for breakfast during golf.

markopat
07-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I grew up in a Sox household and fell in love at an early age. I have known many Sox players and personnel through family connections my entire life. One of my earliest memories is going to visit my uncle and having 4 Sox players top by for breakfast during golf.

Which players? Always cool to hear stories like this.

Tragg
07-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I became a Sox fan in 1967, within weeks after my parents gave me a radio for my birthday. The Sox were broadcast into Louisiana, compliments of "Friendly" Bob Adams and I listened to every game. To seal the deal, I was born on the southside of Chicago at the U of Chicago Medical Center (even though I only lived in Chicago for 6 months), so the Sox quickly became my team.

MikeW
07-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I have no Chicago ties whatsoever. I grew up in the most unlikely place to be a Sox fan(Elizabeth,New Jersey) and I don't know why I picked them,maybe it was because everyone else was a Yankee fan and in 1961 the Yanks were on top of the world. I used to trade my Mantle and Maris cards for Hershberger and Buzhardt ones. Saw my first game that year and have been hooked since. Could only follow the Sox through the Sporting News(when it was good) or when they played the Yankees. Finally saw the Sox in Chicago back in 1992.