PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte's Pitching Staff

Britt Burns
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Our pitchers at Charlotte are kicking some serious a**. Playing in a small ballpark notorious for favoring hitters, the five main starters have the following stats:
W-L ERA WHIP
Phillips 11-3 1.90 1.11
Haeger 10-2 1.95 1.20
Randolph 8-2 2.92 1.57
Redding 7-6 3.48 1.28 (with decent control-always his main problem)
Tracey 7-4 3.58 1.32

In addition, Lopez, Farnsworth, Montero, and even Boone Logan have been pitching well in relief.

So what should KW do? None of them would be considered top prospects in a trade (with the possible exception of Tracey). Phillips is sort of a Mark Buehrle-lite, Redding was a top Astros prospect with a few years of major league experience who lost and seems to have only recently found his command, Haeger is of course a knuckleballer, Randolph is probably too wild to be effective at the big league level, and we all know about Tracey.

With the 25 man roster pretty well set (and about to get more crowded with Hermie coming back, who, by the way, has also pitched well at Charlotte), should KW hang on and do nothing as insurance against injuries to the Sox staff? Does he go for the big trade that might break up the current roster and hope that Phillips/Tracey/etc. is ready to contribute at the big league level? Should KW pull the plug on Politte and work one of them out of the pen to see how they deal with playing for a major league pennant contender? It's a great problem to have, and with no game today I thought it might be interesting to kick around a few ideas. Personally, I like the club as is and would probably stand pat, with maybe the idea of getting a Brady Clark-like CF for Tracey and/or Phillips if BA struggles (and I am firmly in favor of letting Anderson work his issues out in Chicago, as it seems he is coming around).

CashMan
07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Personally, I like the club as is and would probably stand pat, with maybe the idea of getting a Brady Clark-like CF for Tracey and/or Phillips if BA struggles (and I am firmly in favor of letting Anderson work his issues out in Chicago, as it seems he is coming around).

You have MAck, this would be like playing Mack in CF. Here is my thing, I feel, maybe it maybe a step backwords to take a step forward, but keep Anderson in CF, instead of going through this agian next year. I look at it like, a pitcher hitting 9th for us.

ChiSoxLifer
07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Trade them all for Miguel Cabrera. It's really great to see that pitching is a strength on the top farm team. I can't remember exactly the rating but I believe BP had the Sox farm system in the lower third of all teams. After the success a lot of prospects are having, it will be interesting to see how the system is viewed at the end of the season.

Randar68
07-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Trade them all for Miguel Cabrera. It's really great to see that pitching is a strength on the top farm team. I can't remember exactly the rating but I believe BP had the Sox farm system in the lower third of all teams. After the success a lot of prospects are having, it will be interesting to see how the system is viewed at the end of the season.

We were ranked 12th best of the 30 MLB teams.

Tragg
07-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Our pitchers at Charlotte are kicking some serious a**. Playing in a small ballpark notorious for favoring hitters, the five main starters have the following stats:
W-L ERA WHIP
Phillips 11-3 1.90 1.11
Haeger 10-2 1.95 1.20
Randolph 8-2 2.92 1.57
Redding 7-6 3.48 1.28 (with decent control-always his main problem)
Tracey 7-4 3.58 1.32

A lot of trades, and for good players, are consummated with that level of pitching prospect....good, not great. We (some of our posters) seem to think you have to give several A++ prospects to get a good player, and you don't.
These players look like ideal trade bait to me. You certainly don't want to trade really grade A prospects if you can help it (like Broadway, Liotta appear to be). Few teams do.

ChiSoxLifer
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
We were ranked 12th best of the 30 MLB teams.

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought it was 18.

Britt Burns
07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
A lot of trades, and for good players, are consummated with that level of pitching prospect....good, not great. We (some of our posters) seem to think you have to give several A++ prospects to get a good player, and you don't.
These players look like ideal trade bait to me. You certainly don't want to trade really grade A prospects if you can help it (like Broadway, Liotta appear to be). Few teams do.

Agreed. The guy we traded for Charles Johnson in 2000 (figueroa?) was about the same as any of the five. However, we just aren't going to get Carl Crawford for Haeger, tracey, and Phillips, for instance.

Sox-o-matic
07-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Personally, I like the club as is and would probably stand pat, with maybe the idea of getting a Brady Clark-like CF for Tracey and/or Phillips if BA struggles (and I am firmly in favor of letting Anderson work his issues out in Chicago, as it seems he is coming around).

I'd say I like that idea because I think Clark could be a valuable asset off the bench, but then people all over this board would complain about him not starting (as if he belongs in centerfield anyway). I also wonder if Brian Roberts would be available and how much he'd cost.

I think if we can deal anyone in that rotation (except Tracey hopefully) for a back up centerfielder it would make this team even better.

caulfield12
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
There's no way we are going to even look at Brian Roberts.

As well as our AAA pitchers have done, none of them have much of a value besides Tracey and maybe Redding to a much lesser extent...Redding could be targeted by another team desperate for a 5th starter, but we're not going to receive MUCH in return for him. Maybe a Top 10-15 organizational level prospect, but definitely not Top 5.

Phillips is probably going to end up in another organization or in Japan ala Josh Stewart.

With Cotts and Thornton, there is simply no place for him. He's definitely not going to start for the White Sox over Haeger, Broadway, Lumsden, Liotta and a few others.

There's also the possibility that either Cotts or Thornton could become a starter. Both are interested in making the switch, although there has been no recent discussion because of their obvious, critical need to support the bullpen.

Tragg
07-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Agreed. The guy we traded for Charles Johnson in 2000 (figueroa?) was about the same as any of the five. However, we just aren't going to get Carl Crawford for Haeger, tracey, and Phillips, for instance.
But Crawford is a different sort of trade, one which really has no reason to be made under the gun in July anyway; Randy Winn has been mentioned...at MOST you'd give one of these guys for a mediocrity like Winn; you trade Anderson for Winn, and you've fitted yourself with a duncecap.

Beautox
07-13-2006, 12:23 AM
With the sox current luxury both at the ML and AAA level, I would like to see KW turn Cliff Politte/Tim Redding/Charlie Haeger/Heath Phillips/Ross Gload into Chris Denorfia (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chris%20Denorfia&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=456121) and Ryan Wagner (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ryan%20Wagner&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=429842) from the reds.

Denorfia would be the OF back up this year and take over in LF and be our future lead off man. We then can deal pods to some team thinking he will be the spark plug at the top of the order and willing to deal with his arb years and below average defense in LF. Denorfia doesn't appear to fit into the reds plans at this time. Their OF is locked up with Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, and they've got their lead off hitter in Freel. Denorfia will be 26 in a few days, much like Sean Tracey hes getting a little old to wear the prospect tag but I think he will be a great ML player. Denorfia is the reds best defensive OF prospect, and he has the best plate discipline in their system. He has a good arm not a RF arm per say but an above average arm for CF/LF.

Ryan Wagner has been absolutely bad at AAA, and is no longer on there top 20 prospect list hes only 23, he was the reds first round draft choice in '03. He reminds me alot of Matt Thornton in the sense that he has a ton of potential but its being wasted within the reds organization and hes faced ML hitting before (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=429842), much like Matt with the M's. Ryan's problems aren't mental, they're mechanical. This would be a classic Coop turn around special a la Thornton/Cotts/Jose. He features a 84-87 mph slider that tops out at an 80 on the scale, and also a 91-94 mph sinking fastball. You can read more about him here (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/reds.html).

If KW can turn Borchard/Lopez/Bajenaru/Marte into Thornton/Riske/Cintron/Mackowiak, I think he could make it happen.

kwolf68
07-14-2006, 08:55 AM
So no one is very high on Phillips?

I don't get it...He has a solid fastball, a good curve ball and is what? 23, 24 years old? And he is under 2 at a AAA hitters park.

I don't know much about him, but I'd think he has a chance.

rdivaldi
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
So no one is very high on Phillips?

I don't get it...He has a solid fastball, a good curve ball and is what? 23, 24 years old? And he is under 2 at a AAA hitters park.

I don't know much about him, but I'd think he has a chance.

Solid fastball? It's pretty much straight as an arrow at 87- 89 mph, not exactly solid. Heath reminds me pretty much of Mike Porzio, a left hander with decent location and very average "stuff". Maybe he'll become a long reliever one day, but I doubt much else.