PDA

View Full Version : TV Sox question for Central Illinois?

soxfan13
07-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Was down in Springfield this past weekend visiting the in-laws. At first wasnt so upset about the Sox games because Fri. was ESPN and Sat. was Fox. To my surprise neither of the games were on down there. Can anyone that lives down there tell me the reasons why? Saturday especially, because there was no baseball at all during the day.

Mr.1Dog
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Was down in Springfield this past weekend visiting the in-laws. At first wasnt so upset about the Sox games because Fri. was ESPN and Sat. was Fox. To my surprise neither of the games were on down there. Can anyone that lives down there tell me the reasons why? Saturday especially, because there was no baseball at all during the day.

I went to school in Champaign and it really seems like most people around central and southern Illinois prefer Cardinals games. Also, Insight, the cable provider, is just awful. It seems like even nationally covered games that should have been on down there never were.

doublem23
07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm sure Insight just doesn't "choose" not to air games, but it's probably got something to do with MLB blackout rules and what not.

I live in Peoria, which is pretty much 49.9% Cardinals, 49.9% Cubs, and then .1% Sox, and .1% other and we get a fair amount of Sox games down here through CSN and WGN Super Station. I probably miss about 30 or so games a year that are aired on WCIU or WGN (non Super Station), which isn't that bad.

If you want the Sox, you have to live in Chicago.

jamesto
07-10-2006, 03:55 PM

In champaign-urbana we get games that are on comcast, comcast plus, and wgn. We do not get wciu. If a game is on wciu and espn then we are blacked out of espn. With fox they will show us a cardinals game instead of the sox if they're carrying both games.

We couldn't see the games on the 5th, 7th, and 8th and fox will be giving us the cardinals instead of the sox on the 15th. Fox's website tells you what game you're going to get.

Fortunately, we're going to lots of games this year, but it's annoying to not get wciu games. Does anybody know how far north we would have to go to see a game on wciu? Do people in Kankakee get it?

rowand33
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
saturday we got the Cards game. we get our share of Sox games on Fox, saturday just wasn't one of them.

Friday we were blacked out on ESPN because the game was on the U. While we don't have the U, MLB blacked us out because they thought we were getting the local broadcast (which is ****ing ridiculous).

PennStater98r
07-10-2006, 05:03 PM
If you subscribe to Direct TV through a dish, they were really great about airing a "Comcast Plus" game when some of those games were unavailable.

WLL1855
07-10-2006, 06:27 PM
In champaign-urbana we get games that are on comcast, comcast plus, and wgn. We do not get wciu. If a game is on wciu and espn then we are blacked out of espn. With fox they will show us a cardinals game instead of the sox if they're carrying both games.

We couldn't see the games on the 5th, 7th, and 8th and fox will be giving us the cardinals instead of the sox on the 15th. Fox's website tells you what game you're going to get.

Fortunately, we're going to lots of games this year, but it's annoying to not get wciu games. Does anybody know how far north we would have to go to see a game on wciu? Do people in Kankakee get it?

My parents live out on the farm near Odell (about 40 miles south of Joliet on I-55) and it comes in pretty clear on the aerial antenna that we have that's left over from the days before Dish Network. I don't know which cable providers carry it outside of the Chicagoland area so I can't help there. I'm sure it is just a coincidence, but I usually happen to visit the folks when the game is on WCIU.

And yeah, MLB's broadcast rules blow and you better pray the Cards and Cubs are playing night games on Saturdays that Fox has the Sox if you live more than 30 miles or so south of I-80.

QCIASOXFAN
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
I got shafted the same way in Moline.

Zisk77
07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Springfield is about 50/50 Cards Cubs. If the Cards weren't playing at 4 you would have seen the Sox game. 2 weeks before I drove from Edwardsville to springfield to see sox/ astros because the chose Bosox/phils in STL. area.

ChiSoxLifer
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
i was pretty pissed off this saturday. i subscribe to the mlb.com internet feed. the game was blacked out in los angeles and nowhere to be found on cable. this is the third time this happened this year. ugh!

IlliniSox4Life
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, this doesn't really have anything to do with game selection being show, but I will share some frustrations with Insight in Champaign and the Sox. Opening night this year, the night I had been waiting months for there was a pretty bad storm in the area. After about an inning the Sox game blacked out. For some reason THE ONLY TWO CHANNELS THAT WERE KNOCKED OUT WERE ESPN AND ESPN2.

I still don't understand how this could happen. I was furious.

soxfan13
07-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys. I figured because there were 2 games on TV Friday down there, that was the reason for no Sox. Saturday was real frustrating because there was NO baseball at all on any stations during the day.

sox84
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
In Jacksonville, we dont get Comcast. I was under the impression Springfield's cable system carried Comcast and alot of the Sox games. I was also very perturbed at the lack of coverage. I see them when Fox or WGN carries them, other than that, I get the SCORE feed on mlb.com and XM. ESPN seems to have wider blackouts than Fox. We get Fox from Quincy and from St Louis, and the Quincy station sometimes carries the Sox when St Louis has the Cardinal game, but the Saturday you mentioned they both had the Cardinal game. :angry: