PDA

View Full Version : One Year Ago ...

comet2k
07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
... the Sox were 57-29 at the All-Star break and nine games ahead of the Twins.

This year, they're 57-31, so they're nearly on the same pace.

After the All-Star break last year, the Sox went 42-34 (.553 winning pctg.), so there's definitely upside potential this year, especially if the pitching improves.

On the other hand, the next 12 games are against teams with winning records. In August, 19 of the 28 games are against winning teams. That means the pitching has to improve.

Fasten your seat belts for the second half.

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Last year was last year, it's history. Last year has no bearing on this year whatsoever. That's pretty much the message Ozzie sent at Spring Training.

I don't care what last year's team did at this point or some other point in time as far as this year's team is concerned. Last year's team cannot help this year's team win, they have to do it on their own.

And they will.

Sox-o-matic
07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Last year's record doesn't mean anything because we won the division with a 99-63 record. It might take 105 wins to take the thing this year.

TDog
07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Last year's record doesn't mean anything because we won the division with a 99-63 record. It might take 105 wins to take the thing this year.

A Twins fan could have posted something similar a year ago. But every season is different.

It's possible to win a division on the strength of your first-half play if you get off to a big lead (see White Sox, 2005; Tigers, 1984). Neither the 2006 White Sox or Tigers have accomplished that in 2006. When the Tigers fanscompare their team's 2006 record to 1984, it fails to take into account the lack of any challenge from the AL East. When the White Sox fans compare this year to last, it fails to account for the race being created late in the season by one team winning more often than even the Sox did when they got off to their big lead.

What Sox fans should have learned from last year, as well as over the weekend, is that winning games suddenly can become not so easy.

Enjoy the pennant race.

batmanZoSo
07-10-2006, 04:24 PM

We're basically right there with '05, which won 99 games and played just above .500 in the second half. Take away the final 5 game winning streak and the team was 37-34. It bodes well for our chances to eclipse 100 wins. Last year doesn't mean anything, but who said it did? 100 wins does mean something because it's never gonna take much more than that to win the division and it usually takes less. The '05 team is just a good benchmark.

Mohoney
07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Mark your calendars. This is what this division will come down to:

July 18-20th @ Comerica, August 11th-13th @ US Cellular and 21st-24th @ Comerica, and September 18th-20th @ US Cellular.

If we can win 9 of these 13 games, I highly doubt that the Tigers can be that good against the rest of the league to beat us. If we win 8, we're still in good shape, as this erases the current 2 game deficit with a game to spare.

I don't see how anybody can play .688 road ball for an entire 6 months, but if the Tigers do, then just tip you're hat.

MsSoxVixen22
07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Last year was last year, it's history. Last year has no bearing on this year whatsoever. That's pretty much the message Ozzie sent at Spring Training.

I don't care what last year's team did at this point or some other point in time as far as this year's team is concerned. Last year's team cannot help this year's team win, they have to do it on their own.

And they will.

Well said! I'm not worried about this team. We're better than we were last year. I can't to see the Sox come back from break and kick the Skanks and Kittens ass! :bandance:

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Well said! I'm not worried about this team. We're better than we were last year. I can't to see the Sox come back from break and kick the Skanks and Kittens ass! :bandance:
Thanks for the props Vixen! This year's team will probably not have a skid for 5 weeks or so like last year's team since there are significant changes this year (Thome, the bench is 1,000% better and experience). Remember the stress we felt last year even when the Tribe was 10 games behind us? Think of how the Tigers feel with us constantly 1-2 games back and showing no signs of going away?

Minnesota does not have me too worried. They have two stud starting pitchers and I noticed Mauer's BA is down 20 points-maybe he's returning to Earth and the league is learning how to pitch him.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
one year ago I was so happy with the sox record but didn't really expect a WS win. Now I am happy with their record and do expect them to do well in the playoffs. Are we as sox fans now expecting too much out of a team who hadn't previously won a title in 100 years?

TDog
07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
one year ago I was so happy with the sox record but didn't really expect a WS win. Now I am happy with their record and do expect them to do well in the playoffs. Are we as sox fans now expecting too much out of a team who hadn't previously won a title in 100 years?

Maybe it seemed like 100 years, but it wasn't that long. No MLB team has gone for a century of play without winning a World Series.

And if a team did, I'm sure America would find it loveable.

batmanZoSo
07-10-2006, 05:12 PM

What does the former 88 year drought have to do with this year? Why should that affect our expectations?

LuvSox
07-10-2006, 05:16 PM

It was 88 years, and we expect winning because this team has all the talent in the world.

MRM
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Mark your calendars. This is what this division will come down to:

July 18-20th @ Comerica, August 11th-13th @ US Cellular and 21st-24th @ Comerica, and September 18th-20th @ US Cellular.

If we can win 9 of these 13 games, I highly doubt that the Tigers can be that good against the rest of the league to beat us. If we win 8, we're still in good shape, as this erases the current 2 game deficit with a game to spare.

I don't see how anybody can play .688 road ball for an entire 6 months, but if the Tigers do, then just tip you're hat.

The Tigers have gotten to where they are by beating the teams they should beat. Against winning teams they are only 2 games over .500. The Sox losing multiple games to the likes of Kansas City and Seattle Is what has them 2 games back. Detroit simply did a better job of beating up on the bad teams.

I also give no credence to their "superior" pitching staff for a couple of reasons. 1. They play in one of the most pitching friendly parks (Chavez Ravine is probably the only better place to pitch) in MLB while the cell may be the best hitters park in the game. 2. Quest Tech is just adding to the offensive advantage on the South Side. Put the Tigers staff on the South side and they wouldn't have nearly the numbers they have. When you damn near have to put the ball in the middle of the plate to get a strike called you are going to get hit, I don't care who you are.

While I'm on the Quest Tech rant...I think this is why Uribe and B.A. have struggled much more than the other hitters. They have no patience at the plate, thus they don't often get into good hitters counts. Uribe especially will swing at anything that isn't thrown into the press box. Just a theory.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
i was be a little sarcastic about the 100 years but I mentioned this because We really never had too high of expectations for the Sox before, Lets put it this way a year ago people didn't mention the sox and world series in the same sentence. Now that is all you hear. I just don't want to be let down if the sox don't win another WS.

Daver
07-10-2006, 05:26 PM
:iron

The past is for cowards and losers.

MRM
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM

It hadn't been 100 years but I get your point. It may as well have been since none of us was alive when it happened. That team 8 miles north might make it to 100 years, tho :D:

As far as expecting too much...how? Won it last year and improved the team over the off season. How is it expecting too much to think this team should be poised to make another run at it? It's all about staying healthy at this point. Every player in the game is playing with one ache or another. This is why Ozzie keeps harping on "it's not how you start but how you finish". The game is much easier in April than it is in August. It's not that wins mean more in August. Just like every other year, injuries will be on the rise over the second half and will probably affect more than one division race. Playing baseball every day in the heat and humidity is NOT easy on the body.

DSpivack
07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
i was be a little sarcastic about the 100 years but I mentioned this because We really never had too high of expectations for the Sox before, Lets put it this way a year ago people didn't mention the sox and world series in the same sentence. Now that is all you hear. I just don't want to be let down if the sox don't win another WS.

If the next Sox title comes in 2093, I'll be pretty upset.

MRM
07-11-2006, 03:55 AM
If the next Sox title comes in 2093, I'll be pretty upset.

No you won't.