PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel

32nd&Wallace
07-10-2006, 02:28 PM
I was watching some of the Mets game the other day and noticed JM is now a bench coach. Along with Jose Valentine at 3b. Question - Is anyone surprised he has not gotten a managerial job. I dont think there has ever been a manger who has managed a longer tenure with a team, had winning record with that team and gone this long without getting an offer. Does anyone expect Manuel to get something in the future (Hal, I think I know your answer on this one!!)

RKMeibalane
07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I was watching some of the Mets game the other day and noticed JM is now a bench coach. Along with Jose Valentine at 3b. Question - Is anyone surprised he has not gotten a managerial job. I dont think there has ever been a manger who has managed a longer tenure with a team, had winning record with that team and gone this long without getting an offer. Does anyone expect Manuel to get something in the future (Hal, I think I know your answer on this one!!)

In a word, no.

Jerry Manuel's won-loss record as White Sox manager was the result of having a talented team, nothing else. If anything, Manuel did more to hurt the Sox then he did to help them. His constant tinkering with the lineup, misuse of the pitching staff, failure to communicate with players, and his constant chain-jerking of the team's stars (Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Mark Buehrle, for example) did not go unnoticed around Major League Baseball. Manuel is a bench coach with the Mets for a reason- Willie Randolph knows that he's incapbable of doing anything else.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I thought he'd take over after Bowa got fired since Philly would want a whole different personality. Well, I was close, they hired Manual instead of Manuel. :D:

Lip Man 1
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm not surprised...he's a lousy manager.

Lip

JohnBasedowYoda
07-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Manuel is a slim Baker without a toothpick.

I loved the chicken peck method of arguing with the umpires though.

hellenicsoxfan
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't know. Never underestimate the stupidity of some sports owners and GMs. If Tim Floyd could get another job in the NBA, anything is possible.

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

BainesHOF
07-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Manuel became a joke. In my opinion, he was worse than Bevington.

MILTMAY5
07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
These were two of Ron Schuler's (sp?) three choices for manager ( Gene " wake me when it's over " Lamont being the other ). Other than 1990, 1993 and part of 1994, these were some dark years.

hawkjt
07-11-2006, 02:10 AM
I think that is pretty much a bunch of revisionist history on Jerry. He took a young team and won a division with the best record in the league and then lost with a bunch of hurting pitchers and a cold hitting team.

Then he had injuries to some main guys like Wells, Frank, a ton of pitchers.

The sox were always competitive thru it all and were usually in second. Ozzie came in and got some better pitching and speed and it took off.

Manuel is far from bevington. manuel may not get another shot but I think he can do a decent job if he does.

StockdaleForVeep
07-11-2006, 03:11 AM

I dunno, when met with adversary, Manuel would sit alone and read from books to try and find some philosophical peace. Dusty just yells at you while chewin a toothpick and blames the sky

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/screenshots/lists/news_198.jpg

QCIASOXFAN
07-11-2006, 03:27 AM

I loved the chicken peck method of arguing with the umpires though.:rolling: :rolling: Damn, you took my thunder for this thread!