PDA

View Full Version : Contreras out Liraino in

SoxFan78
07-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Per Espnradio, Jose took himself out of the game on Tuesday. Franscico Liraino from the Twinkies takes his place.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Per Espnradio, Jose took himself out of the game on Tuesday. Franscico Liraino from the Twinkies takes his place.

Any reason or he feelin after pitchin yesterday, he really would like to rest?

Madvora
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Whoa. Is this because he just wants extra rest, or is there something wrong with him?

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Maybe he's going to spend a few days with Manny. :cool:

peeonwrigley
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Liriano is not a deserving All Star.

Seriously, maybe this will shut up some of the Twins fans.

Minnie Me
07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Contraras did not pitch well after that play that had him hopping around the mound. I hope his achilies tendon is ok.

TDog
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I predicted precisely this would happen in chat during the last inning Contreras worked in Sunday's game. Contreras not only threw more than 110 pitches, but it was in a tough game. He worked hard, and he shouldn't be throwing on the side until Wednesday.

Sargeant79
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Contraras did not pitch well after that play that had him hopping around the mound. I hope his achilies tendon is ok.

I was wondering after that play if he might have gotten hurt. He was cruising before it and pitched like garbage the rest of the inning, although he fortunately was able to deliver a couple more decent innings. I definitely think the extra rest is a good thing. Any word on whether he is still scheduled to start on Friday?

SoxSpeed22
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Makes sense, there's really no reason for Contreras to put any extra work after pitching yesterday.

Madvora
07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
A Sox fan on the Twins board is citing something on "Chicago Sports Radio" that Jenks (or even Buehrle) is being replaced by Liriano

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-twins&msg=18685.1&ctx=0

EDIT - That guy seems to just be an idiot because there are many more people reporting that it is Contreras. However, leaving Jenks out would make sense too, but it doesn't appear to be true.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 02:53 PM
A Sox fan on the Twins board is citing something on "Chicago Sports Radio" that Jenks (or even Buehrle) is being replaced by Liriano

EDIT - That guy seems to just be an idiot because there are many more people reporting that it is Contreras. However, leaving Jenks out would make sense too, but it doesn't appear to be true.

I wouldnt be surprised if dye dropped out of the derby today due to yesterdays game

NUCatsFan
07-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Seriously, maybe this will shut up some of the Twins fans.

You mean, the entire team ESPN broadcasters?

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Jenks said he'd be ready to go Tuesday. I guess it's different for a reliever who is used to pitching every couple of days.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I was wondering after that play if he might have gotten hurt. He was cruising before it and pitched like garbage the rest of the inning, although he fortunately was able to deliver a couple more decent innings. I definitely think the extra rest is a good thing. Any word on whether he is still scheduled to start on Friday?
What play was that?

peeonwrigley
07-10-2006, 03:00 PM
You mean, the entire team ESPN broadcasters?

yes

soxfan13
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
What play was that?

Shot right back at him in 4th or 5th inning

Sad
07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Jenks said he'd be ready to go Tuesday. I guess it's different for a reliever who is used to pitching every couple of days.

sounds like Jenks'll be used as a setup man anyways-
Ozzie said on ESPN 1000 interview this morning Mariano Rivera would close if that scenario should occur...

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
What play was that?

A line drive came low at him, he caught it and sort of twisted his ankle as he backed off the mound gettin it

rocky biddle
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Here's a link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar06/news/story?id=2515402) to the ESPN story. It's actually just a few paragraphs, no real insight into why Jose dropped out.

TDog
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm a Sox fan and I don't want to see any Sox pitchers pitch Tuesday night.

IlliniSoxFan
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I know ESPN reported yesterday that Glavine was taking himself out of the ASG because he started the game Sunday. My guess would be that Contreras is using similar reasoning.

Does he still get credit as an All Star, or does this move take that away, as well?

SouthSide_HitMen
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Shot right back at him in 4th or 5th inning

That was a key play - he didn't look good the rest of the inning giving up a home run to Lowell and allowing the next four to reach (losing his control in the process including hitting Loretta to force in a run on an 0-2 count) before getting Ortiz to fly out to deep right to end it.

He pitched well in the 5th and 6th and I think he should be OK in his next start but there is ZERO reason to play him in a meaningless exhibition on one days rest - even if he didn't suffer the 4th inning scare. He probably should have been left off along with Shilling due to the fact neither would be available after their Sunday starts but maybe Contreras was in line for an All Star Bonus.

Can't wait until Thursday (and Friday for White Sox baseball).

I agree with TDog - I hope Ozzie can rest our staff and if not go one or two innings at most (say Jenks and Buehrle). Position players should be fine in the game but the ASG forces pitchers to pitch in an unfamiliar scenario (off their normal schedule, starters with different warm up routines before a start having to rush warming up to relieve, etc.).

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
A line drive came low at him, he caught it and sort of twisted his ankle as he backed off the mound gettin it

Thanks. And Soxfan13 too.

There were a couple of instances yesterday where gameday had the "injury delay" tag. It's sort of ominous since there's no other info with it.

hawkjt
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree completely; the sox pitchers are all overworked anyway.

I just hope that Jose is not really hurting. The way the rotation is set up he is going to be facing the yanks and tigers right out of the box. We need him to be on his game with a tough stretch coming up.

Iwritecode
07-10-2006, 03:11 PM
He probably should have been left off along with Shilling due to the fact neither would be available after their Sunday starts but maybe Contreras was in line for an All Star Bonus.

He was voted in by the players.

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't like guys from my team playing in All-Star games. Too risky for a season-ending injury.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
He was voted in by the players.

I don't follow any of it. All I know is I am glad he is resting for four days. He is old and can use the rest.

I agree with the Dump. I'd like Ozzie to play / pitch all the Red Sox, Yankees and Tigers players for the entire game. If someone questions him, he can say "this time it counts". :rolleyes:

Iwritecode
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree completely; the sox pitchers are all overworked anyway.

I just hope that Jose is not really hurting. The way the rotation is set up he is going to be facing the yanks and tigers right out of the box. We need him to be on his game with a tough stretch coming up.

Actually, if Ozzie keeps the rotation the same as it has been all year, Jose will only face the Yankees and miss the Tigers. It will be interesting to see if he keeps it the same or if he moves Contreras up to the number 1 or 2 spot.

Since the start of the year it has been:

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Vasquez

07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I know ESPN reported yesterday that Glavine was taking himself out of the ASG because he started the game Sunday. My guess would be that Contreras is using similar reasoning.

Does he still get credit as an All Star, or does this move take that away, as well?

He'll be at the game and announced, they will say something like "Selected but physically unable to perform"

Zisk77
07-10-2006, 03:20 PM
I predicted this would happen about a week ago. Its just smart. Jose should not pitch on one days rest. Sure he would normal throw a side session on that day, but that is far less stressful than pitching to real batters (let alone all-stars) in a real game. Its too easy for Jose to get hurt throwing in a near meaningless game. An average pitching week for starter goes something like this:

Pitch game

Day 1 next day run, stretch, lift weights (works out tendonititus) - Pitchers have specialized routine.

Day 2 Throw side session working on throwing all pitches out of Stetch/wind to all appropriate areas - Some believe this should be a long toss day instead (arm strength. Maybe PFP (pitcher fielding practice). Rag toss if you are a Cub.

Day 3 Throw side session a little longer and a little harder.

Day 4 Prestart routine

Day 5 Make start (or throw simulated game if you are a Cub).:rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Actually, if Ozzie keeps the rotation the same as it has been all year, Jose will only face the Yankees and miss the Tigers. It will be interesting to see if he keeps it the same or if he moves Contreras up to the number 1 or 2 spot.

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
VasquezFrom what I've heard, Ozzie is going to juggle the rotation to start with Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia against the Yankees. That would set the Tigers up for Garland, Vazquez and Contreras.

CHIsoxNation
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Vasquez

I'm pretty sure the rotation has already been changed. I think Ozzie wants Contreras to start against NY on Friday and then throw the third game of the Detroit series.

Johnson vs Contreras.....I'll be there and can't wait!!

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 03:25 PM
It was announced a week or so ago that Contreras is the new Number 1 in town as of this Friday.

MERPER
07-10-2006, 03:30 PM

Burly
Garcia
Contreras
Garland
Vasquez

Already has been announced that the rotation is changing... Contreras will move to the front of it with the Buehrle and Garcia dropping back... This way Contreras can face the Yankees in game 1 and the Tigers in game 3

oeo
07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
From what I've heard, Ozzie is going to juggle the rotation to start with Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia against the Yankees. That would set the Tigers up for Garland, Vazquez and Contreras.

Maybe Javy will catch lightning in a bottle and we can sweep those Tiggers.

thomas35forever
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
At least Ozzie won't have to worry about using him in the game now. If he's pitching two regular season games in a row, it's probably best he doesn't go. Liriano deserved to go anyway. Anyone who's leading their league in ERA does.

Cue Timberwolf's return and "gloating" on Liriano finally going to the game and Contreras being a big baby because he can't take pitching three times in six days like a man.:smile:

Iwritecode
07-10-2006, 03:44 PM
From what I've heard, Ozzie is going to juggle the rotation to start with Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia against the Yankees. That would set the Tigers up for Garland, Vazquez and Contreras.

That will actually work out pretty well. Barring injury, one of the top three starters will go against a division rival 27 times. That includes 9 of the 13 remaining games against the Tigers and 8 of the remaining 12 games agianst the Twins.

Contreras, Burly and Garcia would pitch the final series of the season which would set up the post-season nicely as well, assuming they make it. :wink:

norsepalehoser
07-10-2006, 03:46 PM
i would like to see Jose game 1 against yankees and javy game 3 that way we could potentially have 2 former yankees beat there old club in NY

Iguana775
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Good for Liraino. he deserved it. Probably a good thing that Jose pulled himself out. he just pitched last nite.

miker
07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I'd rather see Jose get the time off and I think Liriano deserves to go.

So if Kenny Rogers is pitching the first 10 innings, when will Ozzie use Liriano?

Ol' No. 2
07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Maybe Javy will catch lightning in a bottle and we can sweep those Tiggers.This guy drives me nuts, even more than Garland used to. The guy has 5 good pitches, all of which he can throw for strikes. He should be winning 20 games every year. If he starts clicking, he's going to be unbeatable.

rightsox
07-10-2006, 03:58 PM
sounds like Jenks'll be used as a setup man anyways-
Ozzie said on ESPN 1000 interview this morning Mariano Rivera would close if that scenario should occur...
Jenks is my hero (who wouldn't be after saving the winning game of the WS!), but this is a no-brainer.

The AL bullpen is unbelievably filthy this year. I think they'll make the NL lineup look like they're in high school. Jenks, Rivera, Liriano, Papelbon, Halladay, and Santana!? That's just not even fair. Hopefully Papelbon shakes off the blown save yesterday...

I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see ozzie ride Rogers for like 150 pitches just to wear him down a little. :smile:

kittle42
07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
MLB All-Star game = NFL Pro Bowl more and more every year.

peeonwrigley
07-10-2006, 04:02 PM
This guy drives me nuts, even more than Garland used to. The guy has 5 good pitches, all of which he can throw for strikes. He should be winning 20 games every year. If he starts clicking, he's going to be unbeatable.

He can throw them for strikes, but he does not well enough. Maybe he needs to simplify his repertoire for the time being. Often he is pitching from behind the whole game. The by-product is good pitches to hit for opposing players and a triple digit pitch count by the 5th or 6th inning.

I agree, highly frustrating.

TDog
07-10-2006, 04:05 PM
MLB All-Star game = NFL Pro Bowl more and more every year.

Do they use the Pro Bowl to determine who will host the next Super Bowl instead of giving it to the team with the best record?

Lip Man 1
07-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Jose is 'out' simply because he pitched Sunday and wouldn't even be able to go an inning on Tuesday. HE IS NOT HURT. Ozzie wanted and needed an extra arm.

I hope (and expect) that Jose will at least be there to be announced but we'll see.

Lip

MRM
07-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Jose is 'out' simply because he pitched Sunday and wouldn't even be able to go an inning on Tuesday. HE IS NOT HURT. Ozzie wanted and needed an extra arm.

I hope (and expect) that Jose will at least be there to be announced but we'll see.

Lip

Yep. He threw over 110 pitches yesterday AND he's starting on Friday. No way he could pitch tomorrow. I'm THRILLED He's not going and I'm happy Liriano is, not only because he deserves it, but to give Ozzie another rested arm off the bench. Home field advantage IS a big deal. (Even if determining it this way is the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard of)

Mohoney
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
That will actually work out pretty well. Barring injury, one of the top three starters will go against a division rival 27 times. That includes 9 of the 13 remaining games against the Tigers and 8 of the remaining 12 games agianst the Twins.

Contreras, Burly and Garcia would pitch the final series of the season which would set up the post-season nicely as well, assuming they make it. :wink:

Plus it assumes ZERO rain-outs. I hope you're right, but I don't know about all that...

Lip Man 1
07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
It appears Jose will be at the game and will be introduced with his six other teammates:

"Yesterday was a good game -- a long game -- and I made 117 pitches and I'm very happy to be here at the All-Star game. I wish I could pitch, but it's more important I be ready for Friday to help my team win."

Lip

Hitmen77
07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
When I first saw this thread, I thought that Jose was injured again. I am so relieved that he isn't. WHEW!!!! If the Sox hope to get their starting pitching back on track in the 2nd half, Contreras HAS to be healthy.