PDA

View Full Version : Just turn it off

bryPt
07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I read a lot on this board about how ESPN got something wrong about the Sox, or how they focus on the Yanks and BoSox, or how they just plain suck in general. Why bring grief on yourself? If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a sound?

remember this call:

"Iguchi, Konerko, and the Boston Red Sox dream to repeat as World Series Champions has ended!" - Chris Berman on the call of the last out of the Sox / BoSox series last year.

The second I heard that, and after about 4 hours of partying, I went to my DirecTV settings and turned off ALL ESPN channels. Best thing I ever did in my life. I no longer have to hear or see the overly bias coverage that they provide the country.

I say BOYCOTT ESPN. TV, RADIO, everything. You will not miss anything and you will feel much better for it.

Just turn it off!

Seriously, what would you miss if you followed my lead? World Poker challenge? Professional womens billiards? An occasional baseball game without the yankees or Red Sox?

bryPt
07-10-2006, 01:07 PM
oh crud, I thought I posted this in the other forum. Hey Mods, please move! THANKS!

skottyj242
07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
WOW! Finally a revolutionary idea.

TDog
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM

The second I heard that, and after about 4 hours of partying, I went to my DirecTV settings and turned off ALL ESPN channels. Best thing I ever did in my life. I no longer have to hear or see the overly bias coverage that they provide the country.

I say BOYCOTT ESPN. TV, RADIO, everything. You will not miss anything and you will feel much better for it.

Just turn it off!...

What's the size of the refund you get for blocking ESPN? Or do you still pay for it?

voodoochile
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
What's the size of the refund you get for blocking ESPN? Or do you still pay for it?
Just because you choose to block a station, doesn't mean you cannot watch it anytime you want to by releasing the block. Why would they give you a refund?

Also, while I understand not watching the talking heads on ESPN, they still have some solid sports programming and I for one cannot picture going without it. Living in NC, ESPN is often one of the few times a year I get to watch the Sox on my regular TV.

buehrle4cy05
07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I still watch some ESPN. Down the stretch, it's the only place where you can get in-progress highlights of the teams that are contending against the Sox. Whatever guys like Brantley or Berman say on there, I put no stock into. Once you learn how to tune out those guys, it's actually not all that bad.

0o0o0
07-10-2006, 01:49 PM
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a sound? Depends on whether Sports Nite is on or not.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Living in NC, ESPN is often one of the few times a year I get to watch the Sox on my regular TV.Likewise; and by the way, I thought that Jon Sciambi and Steve Stone (Friday night) were one of the better broadcasting teams I've heard in a while on any station.
Now if only they could be promoted to postseason duty and Berman permanently removed...

itsnotrequired
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you had to PAY to have it removed. ESPN is a standard channel on Expanded Basic cable and they won't give you back squat.

Why block it anyway? Just don't watch it if it bugs you so much. I'm not a religious watcher of ESPN but am always down to watch a ball game or skateboard contest or whatever.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I hardly watch the ESPN. Sometimes I flick it on to see scores at the bottom and I'll watch tonight for the HR derby. But who the hell wants to see the paintball champs anyway?!

cbotnyse
07-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I am a faithful watcher of PTI. Michael Wilbon is a breath of fresh Chicago air on that network.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I thought last night when they lost the audio feed of Miller and Morgan the announcing improved 300 percent when the spanish guys took over. :D:

zmz723
07-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I hate espn. Paintball and Dominoes??? who the hell wants to watch that? Anyone remember the scrabble tournament?

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I read a lot on this board about how ESPN got something wrong about the Sox, or how they focus on the Yanks and BoSox, or how they just plain suck in general. Why bring grief on yourself? If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a sound?

remember this call:

"Iguchi, Konerko, and the Boston Red Sox dream to repeat as World Series Champions has ended!" - Chris Berman on the call of the last out of the Sox / BoSox series last year.

Just turn it off!

Seriously, what would you miss if you followed my lead? World Poker challenge? Professional womens billiards? An occasional baseball game without the yankees or Red Sox?
Right cuz its wrong to be interested in baseball in general as well. Baseball tonight is the only source where i can check out other games

also 2 words: college football

TheDarkGundam
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I hate espn. Paintball and Dominoes??? who the hell wants to watch that? Anyone remember the scrabble tournament?
I saw that. Now those are athletes. :tongue:
I remember there was a kid from like Thailand or something who couldn't speak a word of english but became a scrabble champ by studying the dictionary.
How can you NOT watch that? :redneck

Mr.1Dog
07-10-2006, 03:00 PM
ESPN News is a great channel though. It's always great to flip to and not have to wait long for important scores and they aren't as biased as regular ESPN. It's also great to fall asleep to and wake up to Mike and Mike in the morning.

MeteorsSox4367
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Four more words: Bill Raftery, college basketball

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I saw that. Now those are athletes. :tongue:
I remember there was a kid from like Thailand or something who couldn't speak a word of english but became a scrabble champ by studying the dictionary.
How can you NOT watch that? :redneck

Dont forget the spelling Bee

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM

How about the miniature golf tournament?

mrfourni
07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
It's also great to fall asleep to and wake up to Mike and Mike in the morning.

They are on ESPN 2 now.

TDog
07-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Just because you choose to block a station, doesn't mean you cannot watch it anytime you want to by releasing the block. Why would they give you a refund?

Also, while I understand not watching the talking heads on ESPN, they still have some solid sports programming and I for one cannot picture going without it. Living in NC, ESPN is often one of the few times a year I get to watch the Sox on my regular TV.

My question was rhetorical. I don't get even basic cable because I don't want to pay for all of the stations I wouldn't watch. I know they won't give me a discount if I were to have stations removed.

The only way to "boycott" ESPN is to not subscribe to a cable service that offers it.

wolcott10
07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I only watch ESPN for the Hot Dog Eating Contest.
:redneck

Dan Mega
07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
I enjoy PTI. Wilbon and Kornheiser admit that ESPN is biased, because they're in the "ratings game".

Uncle_Patrick
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I think the real key is to not take everything the "analysts" say too seriously. There are some people here who seem to drawn to every negative article or comment about the White Sox. Everyone has their biases and prejudices. It becomes pretty evident pretty quickly who has what bias. I take it all with a grain of salt and a belief that, just like in 2005, the haters will have to eat their words come October.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-10-2006, 04:54 PM

remember this call:

Just turn it off!

It's funny, because I just watched the game from my World Series Box Set, and was equally as angry when I heard that call at the very end.

LuvSox
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
ESPN rules during college football season. None better.

FedEx227
07-10-2006, 06:50 PM
ESPN rules during college football season. None better.

Exactly.

Nothing like getting up way earlier then you should on a Saturday morning to watch Corso, Herby and Fowler do their thing. I watch almost nothing but ESPN during college football season.

WizardsofOzzie
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Anyone else see the segment a few minutes ago about how sad it is that Sammy, Palmero, and McGwire are gone? How is it sad that baseball is rid of 2 proven cheaters and one more than likely cheater again??? :?:

RadioheadRocks
07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Anyone else see 1st and 10 today? Skip Bayless kept bellyaching about AJ causing yet another "controversy" when he threw his hands up while breaking up that double play yesterday. He kept bitching and moaning about how the inning should have been over and the BoTox should have won the game because AJ "grabbed the fielder by the belt and interfered with the play". Woody Paige basically told Bayless he was full of **** (not using those words, of course), went over the ground rules covering breaking up double plays (and that there was no clear cut violation on AJ's part) and called Bayless out because he was a Red Sox fan and wanted them to win. When Bayless persisted in his pointless argument (I thought he was going to cry at one point! LOL) they did a freeze-frame of where AJ allegedly "grabbed the fielder by the belt" (which he clearly didn't do) and it showed he had already thrown the ball to first base when AJ's hands went up. Bayless (knowing that his argument went down in flames by this point) finally retorted rather weakly with "well that's why everyone hates AJ anyway".

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2006, 10:58 PM

Playing cards somehow became a sport too. Guess I missed the memo on that one.

Chisox353014
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
How about the miniature golf tournament?

I'd rather watch that than the NBA, especially if Stephen A. Smith is somehow involved with the broadcast.