PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-11

Lip Man 1
07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
'Four' play indeed!

July 11, 1950- The All Star Game returns to Comiskey Park and sees the National League win 4-3 in 13 innings on a home run by the Cardinals ‘Red’ Schoendienst. The Sox representative on that day was pitcher Ray Scarborough.

July 11,1990- During a series with the Brewers, the Sox have a promotion that actually works. Rob Gallas is the driving force behind "Turn Back The Clock" day. The promotion recreates the scene as it would have been during the 1917 season. Sox players wear replicas of those uniforms, the scoreboard is turned off and operated by hand, vendors and stadium personnel are dressed in period clothes and photographers are allowed on the field. The promotion is copied by teams in all sports and an offshoot promo comes to pass in coming years, it’s called "Turn Ahead The Clock." (In the ensuing years some have claimed Gallas 'stole' the idea from a young fan who mentioned it to him. I have no way of proving this one way or another so I mention both in this factoid)

July 11, 1995- At the All Star Game in Texas, Frank Thomas turns a special double play. Thomas wins the home run hitting contest before the actual game, then becomes the first Sox player to ever homer in the game itself, when he connects off the Reds John Smiley.

July 11, 2000- Sox starting pitcher James Baldwin wins the All Star game for the American League in Atlanta. Baldwin throws an inning in the A.L.’s 6-3 win.

Lip

Britt Burns
07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
That first turn back the clock day was the best-hands down-of any, no matter what team or stadium. And I was there at the ASG in Arlington, got to see Frank's jack!

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Isn't that '50 All-Star Game the one where Ted Williams broke a collar bone or something crashing into the wall?

Lip Man 1
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hal:

He shattered his elbow crashing into the Comiskey Park outfield wall (which was unpadded) making a catch. I think it was in the 9th inning.

Lip

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Hal:

He shattered his elbow crashing into the Comiskey Park outfield wall (which was unpadded) making a catch. I think it was in the 9th inning.

Lip

I knew it was something like that. And yeah, the Comiskey walls were brick with no ivy to cushion the blow. OUCH!

Chez
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
'Four' play indeed!

July 11, 1950- The All Star Game returns to Comiskey Park and sees the National League win 4-3 in 13 innings on a home run by the Cardinals ‘Red’ Schoendienst. The Sox representative on that day was pitcher Ray Scarborough.

Lip

How did "Scarborough faire?" :D: Sorry, couldn't resist.

MYBOYAJ
07-10-2006, 10:48 AM
How did "Scarborough faire?" :D: Sorry, couldn't resist.

ROFL! That's funny. BTW, how could Gallas steal an idea from a fan? Perhaps it was merely a suggestion. Should he have given credit? Regardless, he's the one who made it happen because he was in a position to make it happen.

Over the years I've came up with good ideas; others have had the intestinal fortitude, marketing and production skills to carry them out, but I'm not crying over them. Gimme a break.