PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Derby tonight!!!

VIKINGS630
07-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey all,

Don't forget about tonights Home run Derby in which big JD will be representing our beloved White Sox. It starts at 7:00 pm central time and is shown on ESPN. Also, they are offering a FREE live webcast for it as well! How many you all think JD will Hit ???

rookiewhitesox
07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
maybe around 15 HR

itsnotrequired
07-10-2006, 08:51 AM

Lyle Mouton
07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
after yesterday's marathon, he might go mike piazza and draw the collar

but i hope not

SOXPHILE
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Every year, I say I'm not going to watch it, and every year, I wind up watching it. This year, no different. I just hope Dye doesn't screw up his swing or anything by participating. I think it's starting to become like the NBA Slam Dunk Contest though. I haven't looked at it the same way since the late 90's, when I watched with raised eyebrows, as players like Sosa, Bonds, Giambi, McGwire, and others, juiced and blown up like some cartoon characters started launching balls 450 feet, all the while another puffy cartoon character named Berman The Blowhole screamed "OHHHHH !!! THAT'S A MOON SHOT ! I THINK IT LANDED SOMEWHERE IN HOBOKEN !!!"

hi im skot
07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Every year, I say I'm not going to watch it, and every year, I wind up watching it. This year, no different. I just hope Dye doesn't screw up his swing or anything by participating. I think it's starting to become like the NBA Slam Dunk Contest though. I haven't looked at it the same way since the late 90's, when I watched with raised eyebrows, as players like Sosa, Bonds, Giambi, McGwire, and others, juiced and blown up like some cartoon characters started launching balls 450 feet, all the while another puffy cartoon character named Berman The Blowhole screamed "OHHHHH !!! THAT'S A MOON SHOT ! I THINK IT LANDED SOMEWHERE IN HOBOKEN !!!"

That's my biggest concern as well.

CHIsoxNation
07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey all,

Don't forget about tonights Home run Derby in which big JD will be representing our beloved White Sox. It starts at 7:00 pm central time and is shown on ESPN. Also, they are offering a FREE live webcast for it as well! How many you all think JD will Hit ???

I'm hoping for zero. I hope he decides to back out at the last minute. I'd hate to see one of our best players in the first half doing anything to mess up his swing or hurt himself.

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I've never watched it and don't plan to start now. I think it's a lot of bunk to sell cars and beer. The contest means nothing. Does not help a team get to the World Series, does not help a player get the MVP at the end of the season.

Lyle Mouton
07-10-2006, 09:46 AM
The dunk contest has fallen off the interest level way more than the HR Derby

But then again, I hate the NBA and have no interest in it

tstrike2000
07-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Not only do I hope Dye doesn't screw up his swing, I just hope he doesn't injure himself. He went through a spell with KC and Oakland where he had some freak injuries. I haven't looked at the HR derby the same either, since it was what we now know was the 'Roids Derby. Although Abreu put on a good show last year. Unless you get a lineup like Big Papi, Thome, Glaus, or Sexson there's not as much power like those 90's early 2000's doped up derbies.

0o0o0
07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I honestly think a pitcher's homerun derby would be more entertaining

Dan Mega
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM

If a pitcher hit 1 he would automatically advance. If he hits 2 he would be in the fina.

If he hits 3 he wins.:redneck

lths06
07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
:jon

"Ill show the N.L. how it's done."

SweetnesSox
07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm hoping for zero.

cheeses_h_rice
07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
It's just not the same without Sham-ME*...

sox1970
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping for zero.

I wouldn't say I'm hoping for zero, but I am hoping for a first round exit.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Can't wait to see JD out there. Pujols is not going to be there or is he? not sure?

rowand33
07-10-2006, 04:13 PM
better question than how many HRs Dye will hit is how many clever puns on his name will Chris Berman use?

I say 30+.

ArkanSox
07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
In an interview on tv this morning, Jim Thome said that he's often seen JD get on a homerun ball roll in batting practice. He said that along with all the other White Sox players, he will be pulling for Dye and so will I. I'd love to see him win it.
GO SOX!!!

CHIsoxNation
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
better question than how many HRs Dye will hit is how many clever puns on his name will Chris Berman use?

I say 30+.

That's a good call. I'm sure we could expect a decent amount for Wright as well.

rowand33
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
That's a good call. I'm sure we could expect a decent amount for Wright as well.

oh good god... I hadn't even thought of that.

I was all geared up for Jermaine "live and let" Dye...

he has almost limitless potential with Wright's name.

may heaven help us all.

CLR01
07-10-2006, 04:38 PM
That's my biggest concern as well.

I don't know how he can screw up his swing, he's already swinging for the fences everytime up. Ozzie needs to get this team back to not relying on the longball to win.

FedEx227
07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
oh good god... I hadn't even thought of that.

I was all geared up for Jermaine "live and let" Dye...

he has almost limitless potential with Wright's name.

may heaven help us all.
And god forbid Berman looks at a map of the surrounding Pittsburgh area.

ALL THE WAY TO TURTLE CREEK!!!

I don't know how he can screw up his swing, he's already swinging for the fences everytime up. Ozzie needs to get this team back to not relying on the longball to win.

Agreed 100%, as much as I love Jim Thome he has changed the psyche of the entire team turning us into a much more homer-happy team, one reminesent of the 2000-2004 days. The only difference is we have the talent to change that, when in those years we had guys that were all that type of player.

MRM
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping for zero. I hope he decides to back out at the last minute. I'd hate to see one of our best players in the first half doing anything to mess up his swing or hurt himself.

Never have and never will buy the "it messed up his swing" nonsense. That's sports mediot crap. It's a couple of hours of trying to hit the ball out of the park. Not like it's gonna screw up his muscle memory or something. A MLB player takes many thousands of swings in the cage over the course of a year. Slightly changing his approach for, perhaps, 50-70 swings on one day isn't going to undo that. These guys are professional hitters...do you really believe any HR hitting contest is going to screw up their swing?

I worry more about a guy hurting his back overswinging, which is exactly why I'm glad Thome isn't participating even though he'd have a great chance to win it in that park. Here's hoping Jermaine stretches ALOT before the contest :D:

I don't know how many of you remember it, but the Sox used to stage their own HR hitting contests before games on occasion against that night opponents. I watched Luzinski and Kittle combine for 7 roof shots at old Comiskey during one such contest against Milwaukee in '84. As I recall Baines was the 3rd participent and the Sox won the contest something like 20-5. Don't let the mediots overanylization (is that a word?) worry you.

Cat Thief
07-10-2006, 04:58 PM

:rolleyes:

Your kidding right? If not, we must have 2 differnet views on what swinging for the fences is.

MRM
07-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't know how he can screw up his swing, he's already swinging for the fences everytime up.

Where do you get that from? The guy is hitting .320. If "swinging for the fences every time up" is responsible for that B.A. then he needs to keep on keeping on because it's working.

Boozer
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't see how anyone can say he is swinging for the fences every time, c'mon.

I don't buy into that messing up their swings either, but I do worry about the injury side of it & am thankful Thome decided to sit it out. But as far as Dye is concerned, good luck and kick ass!:gulp:

CLR01
07-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Where do you get that from? The guy is hitting .320. If "swinging for the fences every time up" is responsible for that B.A. then he needs to keep on keeping on because it's working.

I never said he was doing it all season. This whole team the last week or so has been doing it. Take a look back at the Boston series and the Sox pathetic performances with the base loaded.

Andy T Clown
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I think Berman wants to have Big Pappi's baby.

Xx i am error xX
07-10-2006, 09:49 PM
was that Man Soo Lee catching?

jenmcm76
07-10-2006, 09:58 PM
was that Man Soo Lee catching?

Sure was - for the final round only. I noticed that, too. :D: