PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez

RetireWoodys28
07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Seats on the left field line during today's game, within spitting distance of Manny Ramirez. No, as tempting as it was was I didn't actually spit at him. What I did instead was ride him for a solid 19 innings. Some of the lines I am proudest of:

"Hey Manny! Thanks for the fan appreciation! How's that knee?"

"Hey Manny! What are you doing Tuesday night? I'll hit you up, bro!"

"Hey Manny! Got weed?"

"Hey Manny! Ricky Williams called! He said he's got 'that one thing' for you!"

"Hey Manny! Deon Sanders called! He says you have a bad attitude!"

"Haircut! Haircut! Haircut! YOU SUCK!"

"Hey Manny! Great hair! Who does your nails Manny?"

For the emissaries Red Sox Nation in attendance today: "Hey Manny! When do you intend to sign with the Yankees? Damen misses you Manny!" and "Hey Manny! Your cellphone is ringing! It's Steinbrenner, Manny! PICK UP!"

After Ramirez let a ball drop in front of him that could have been played on the fly: "Hey Manny! Steinbrenner called again! He said forget it!"

After a hit by Podsednik: "Look Manny! A left fielder who hits and hussles in the outfield!"

"Hey Manny! Can Crede have your spot on the roster Tuesday night?"

"Pittsburgh here we come, Manny!"

"Nice play Manny! Why don't you just go ahead and take the rest of the week off, bud- YOU EARNED IT!"

Some Red Sox fans seated by us were a bit miffed at first, but eventually even they were laughing - and they later admitted that they can't stand that bum either. What a cretin!

chisoxmike
07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I hate Manny with a passion, he may be the worst left fielder in baseball, I hate how the Red Sox basically let him do whatever he wants. This All Star thing is bull****. If he isn't playing in the game, he shouldn't have played this weekend. He didn't look hurt to me.

I wish I was there to help give him ****.

jabrch
07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
That bum can hit...He'd be a perfect DH for someone. But I agree with your point. He's a lazy disrespectful turd.

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
And we have a Manny thread in the clubhouse ........why?

zach074
07-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Come on guys thats just Manny being Manny.

WSox8404
07-09-2006, 11:33 PM
And we have a Manny thread in the clubhouse ........why?

Good question although I did chuckle at a few of his little quirks.

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2006, 12:01 AM
I think Manny was one of the most underrated players when he was on the Indians. He was hurt alot during the beginning of his era of prominance.

I don't hate Manny. I feel that he is full of himself and appears a tad lazy at times, but he's the real deal; a pure hitter with power and has a great arm. He is still underrated defensively imo.

That said, I wouldn't want him on my team. I surely wouldn't be badgering him from the stands either. That's just me though. He is a credit to his craft.

doublem23
07-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Underrated defensively?

I guess, maybe he just "sucks complete ass" instead of "being ****ing terrible."

StatHead21
07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
I wish I were Manny, he's a huge slob, he's extremly lazy and he's a baseball god. Oh how I envy him.

chisoxmike
07-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I wish I were Manny, he's a huge slob, he's extremly lazy and he's a baseball god. Oh how I envy him.

Seriously, I wish I can go to my boss and say I want to leave, then change my mind and still have a job. Or not feel like working and still be around at the end of the day.

He's an ass, yes, his numbers are amazing and a he's a great hitter but screw him and ESPN for blowing a load everytime he steps into the batters box.

ChiSoxGirl
07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
He's an ass, yes, his numbers are amazing and a he's a great hitter but screw him and ESPN for blowing a load everytime he steps into the batters box.

:roflmao:! I think the reason this line is so funny to me is because I can just hear you saying it! You always speak the truth, Mike!

DSpivack
07-10-2006, 01:05 AM
First ballot HOF, Red Sox OF, hated by even many Boston fans, ridiculous career numbers, suspect defensively. Manny remind you of anyone?

BeefyD
07-10-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm not a fan of Manny at all, but I was at the game yesterday and must say I'm sure glad I wasn't sitting anywhere close to you. After a while yelling **** just gets old.

And those are just your "proudest"? Hate to hear how many you actually yelled...

Mod. Note: See what's in red? That was done using the language filter. Take an All-Star break for evading it.

C-Dawg
07-10-2006, 05:40 AM
First ballot HOF, Red Sox OF, hated by even many Boston fans, ridiculous career numbers, suspect defensively. Manny remind you of anyone?

He's the Sammy Sosa of the American League. Just once, I'd like to see him hit a home run, only to have the ball hit the wall, and he'll get thrown out at first when he takes too long removing his batting gloves before leaving the batter's box.

VenturaFan23
07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm not a fan of Manny at all, but I was at the game yesterday and must say I'm sure glad I wasn't sitting anywhere close to you. After a while yelling **** just gets old.

And those are just your "proudest"? Hate to hear how many you actually yelled...
You're kidding right? Manny deserves any taunts thrown his way.

itsnotrequired
07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Total, classic, Clubhouse thread.

Lyle Mouton
07-10-2006, 09:49 AM

Mod. Note: See what's in red? That was done using the language filter. Take an All-Star break for evading it.

noooooooooo kidding

seriously, i got annoyed just reading that...we get it, you don't like manny ramirez

move on

SOXPHILE
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Manny Ramirez is a Class A scumbag. Yes, he is an outstanding hitter. But he is one of the dumbest, laziest players I have ever seen, and he just doesn't care. We were yelling out "dirtbag" and "lazy S.O.B." every time he sauntered by on his way to and from the outfield. People were laughing when I yelled out "DON'T BE AFRAID MANNY ! IT'S JUST SOAP AND WATER ! YOU MAY WANNA GET ACQUAINTED WITH IT !" By the way, what the hell was he doing with his pants and shoes ? Almost every time he was out there at the start of an inning, he was fiddling around with the cuff of his pants or something. I know he likes to wear his uniform extra baggy to keep it real and all, but what was he doing ?

hi im skot
07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I can't stand Manny.

He helped the White Sox a few times yesterday by not hustling after flyballs, which I thank him for.

But yeah, definitely a scumbag.

I will, however, give him credit for tossing balls into the left field stands if he makes the final putout in an inning. Especially after the verbal crap he got the entire game.

QCIASOXFAN
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Wow, sounds like you laid into him pretty good! When I was at game 1 of the playoffs last year I was sitting in left field watching Manny and noticed that he never ever looked ready. He was just holding his glove in his right hand walking around even when the pitcher was going into motion.

SweetnesSox
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
he's probably the smartest hitter in the AL.

GregoryEtc
07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Last year in game three of the division series, Half-a-Manny Ramirez stood at home and admired his majestic home run for so long, I had time to get up and get the phone, cancel my Comcast service and pour myself a tall glass of THREE AND OUT before he reached first base

davenicholson
07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey, I'm 2/3 Manny--got the first two covered! I'll settle for 2/3 his salary.

RetireWoodys28
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I was at the game yesterday and must say I'm sure glad I wasn't sitting anywhere close to you. After a while yelling **** just gets old.

Sorry for offending your sense of compassion for one of the biggest slimeballs in professional sports. Clearly, you're in the right here: There is no room for "yelling ****" in baseball. In light of your comments, someone really ought to tell Carlton Fisk that he owes Neon Deon an apology.

Whatever man. It's baseball. Have fun with it! I wasn't cursing in front of the kids or getting into fights. And if this thread doesn't belong in the Clubhouse, my apologies. The Mods may feel free to move it wherever they believe it belongs. They don't require my approval - or anyone else's encouragement - to do so. I was just trying to share some of my experiences with those who were also at the game yesterday. It was a looooooooong game, and I was by no means the only one who occupied some of my time there by riding that lumbering oaf in Boston's outfield. With as many Red Sox fans as there were in attendance, I felt somewhat obliged to be as vocal as I could be. As a result, my voice is shot today!

FielderJones
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Clearly, you're in the right here: There is no room for "yelling ****" in baseball. In light of your comments, someone really ought to tell Carlton Fisk that he owes Neon Deon an apology.

:tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:47 AM
He's the Sammy Sosa of the American League. Just once, I'd like to see him hit a home run, only to have the ball hit the wall, and he'll get thrown out at first when he takes too long removing his batting gloves before leaving the batter's box.

That's just silly. Even at his best Sosa was no where near Manny in hitting ability. Manny did hit pretty well for a guy with a bum knee this weekend, tho. Guess the Knee kept all those doubles in the park....:D:

Mercy!
07-11-2006, 02:11 AM
No doubt about it - Manny's a lightning rod for criticism. I sure have some negative feelings about the way he plays the game. And I know lots of people feel that the price of their tickets gives them the right to spew abuse as loudly and long as they feel like it.

Here's my problem with that kind of behavior - when my ticket places me directly in front of a "fan" who's doing the screaming. Wow, it gets old in a hurry! I can't imagine 19 innings worth. :nuts:

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Manny Ramirez is a Class A scumbag. Yes, he is an outstanding hitter. But he is one of the dumbest, laziest players I have ever seen, and he just doesn't care. We were yelling out "dirtbag" and "lazy S.O.B." every time he sauntered by on his way to and from the outfield. People were laughing when I yelled out "DON'T BE AFRAID MANNY ! IT'S JUST SOAP AND WATER ! YOU MAY WANNA GET ACQUAINTED WITH IT !" By the way, what the hell was he doing with his pants and shoes ? Almost every time he was out there at the start of an inning, he was fiddling around with the cuff of his pants or something. I know he likes to wear his uniform extra baggy to keep it real and all, but what was he doing ?

Manny makes $20million/yr. I'm sure he laughed at you just as much as you laughed at your "witty" one liners. He pays more INCOME TAX in a year than you are likely to earn in your lifetime. Do you honestly think anything you say to the man makes a difference? There aren't many players that get Jeered more than AJ on the road, how far has that gotten 'em?

Seriously, I never did get the whole yelling at opposing players thing. Even as a kid it just seemed to be something the drunks did to amuse themselves. Manny gets that same sort of treatment in every ball park he plays in...doesn't seem to affect him much.

If it makes you feel better to jeer a great player, more power to ya. I'll take Manny over Pods in left in a heartbeat, tho. Offensively AND defensivley. Wouldn't you?

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:37 AM
No doubt about it - Manny's a lightning rod for criticism. I sure have some negative feelings about the way he plays the game. And I know lots of people feel that the price of their tickets gives them the right to spew abuse as loudly and long as they feel like it.

Here's my problem with that kind of behavior - when my ticket places me directly in front of a "fan" who's doing the screaming. Wow, it gets old in a hurry! I can't imagine 19 innings worth. :nuts:

AMEN. Nothing worse than some drunk in front of you screaming at a player, or his wife, or his kids, or his imaginary dog. I once bought a guy a beer to MOVE. Seriously.

SOXPHILE
07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Manny makes $20million/yr. I'm sure he laughed at you just as much as you laughed at your "witty" one liners. He pays more INCOME TAX in a year than you are likely to earn in your lifetime. Do you honestly think anything you say to the man makes a difference? There aren't many players that get Jeered more than AJ on the road, how far has that gotten 'em?

Seriously, I never did get the whole yelling at opposing players thing. Even as a kid it just seemed to be something the drunks did to amuse themselves. Manny gets that same sort of treatment in every ball park he plays in...doesn't seem to affect him much.

If it makes you feel better to jeer a great player, more power to ya. I'll take Manny over Pods in left in a heartbeat, tho. Offensively AND defensivley. Wouldn't you?

Some players it does, some it doesn't. A wife beating former right fielder for the Cubs had serious rabbit ears. I agree, I don't yell at opposing players the whole game. It IS annoying after a while, and most of the time, it's dumb. They're just guys on the visiting team doing their job, just like the ones on your team are. With Manny, I think he's either too stupid, or stoned to hear or care what ANYONE says. All we, and others did around us did, was occasionally yell out something to him as he trudged by, and it's mainly to get a laugh amongst yourselves, just like it is almost anytime anyone else does stuff like that at any sporting event. Actually, I believe the last time he struck out looking was a direct result of a bunch of people in our section imploring him to take a bath and check his hair for lice. It hurt his feelings, and it carried over to that at bat.:tongue:

Shoeless_Jim
07-11-2006, 10:11 AM
maybe he will get struck by lightning...i hope.

hi im skot
07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Wow...this is still in the clubhouse?

Thankfully, we don't have to think about Manny until the next time we meet up with the wrong Sox.

PushnThaEscalade
07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I wonder was Manny like this in Cleveland? Of what i do remember Manny in Cleveland, he didn't have half of the notoriety he has now, and from what i saw, he wasn't as lazy as everyone says he is.

batmanZoSo
07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Seats on the left field line during today's game, within spitting distance of Manny Ramirez. No, as tempting as it was was I didn't actually spit at him. What I did instead was ride him for a solid 19 innings. Some of the lines I am proudest of:

"Hey Manny! Thanks for the fan appreciation! How's that knee?"

"Hey Manny! What are you doing Tuesday night? I'll hit you up, bro!"

"Hey Manny! Got weed?"

"Hey Manny! Ricky Williams called! He said he's got 'that one thing' for you!"

"Hey Manny! Deon Sanders called! He says you have a bad attitude!"

"Haircut! Haircut! Haircut! YOU SUCK!"

"Hey Manny! Great hair! Who does your nails Manny?"

For the emissaries Red Sox Nation in attendance today: "Hey Manny! When do you intend to sign with the Yankees? Damen misses you Manny!" and "Hey Manny! Your cellphone is ringing! It's Steinbrenner, Manny! PICK UP!"

After Ramirez let a ball drop in front of him that could have been played on the fly: "Hey Manny! Steinbrenner called again! He said forget it!"

After a hit by Podsednik: "Look Manny! A left fielder who hits and hussles in the outfield!"

"Hey Manny! Can Crede have your spot on the roster Tuesday night?"

"Pittsburgh here we come, Manny!"

"Nice play Manny! Why don't you just go ahead and take the rest of the week off, bud- YOU EARNED IT!"

Some Red Sox fans seated by us were a bit miffed at first, but eventually even they were laughing - and they later admitted that they can't stand that bum either. What a cretin!

Jeez, givin' him a hard time, eh?

"Hey Manny! Here's your wife's pinky toe!"

"Hey Manny! Your children were delicious!"

*psycho....* :unsure:

FedEx227
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM

Offensively yes... defensively I'd rather have Jim Thome out in left then Manny.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I'll take Manny over Pods in left in a heartbeat, tho. Offensively AND defensivley. Wouldn't you?
In a word, no. I happen to be one of those people who think attitude, teamwork, and good clubhouse morale are worth a lot. Do you really think Manny would be a good fit in our clubhouse?

hi im skot
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
In a word, no. I happen to be one of those people who think attitude, teamwork, and good clubhouse morale are worth a lot. Do you really think Manny would be a good fit in our clubhouse?

:thumbsup:

MRM
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Don't know enough about the man to answer that. The trade demands aside I don't have any clue how well he gets along with teammates and the front office. I don't recall ever hearing about a team mate or ex-team mate bad mouthing him. And if you make the perception based solely on media reports then there is no way the Sox should have signed AJ, either.

And lets not forget Frank Thomas and Carl Everett have White Sox World Series rings, too.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Don't know enough about the man to answer that. The trade demands aside I don't have any clue how well he gets along with teammates and the front office. I don't recall ever hearing about a team mate or ex-team mate bad mouthing him. And if you make the perception based solely on media reports then there is no way the Sox should have signed AJ, either.

And lets not forget Frank Thomas and Carl Everett have White Sox World Series rings, too.

Well, I think the trade demands cannot be put aside; they are surely indicative of how he gets along with the front office. As for how he gets along with his teammates, unless you're one of them, you sort of have to rely on media reports. Of course, as I mentioned in another thread, when asked about Manny during last night's home run derby, Ortiz seemed somewhat ill at ease, like he wanted the subject changed.

Maybe Fenway can check in with a comment or two when he shows up.

Edit: One more thing: I think that blowing off the All-Star Game after your fans have done you the honor of voting for you says something about character as well. And I'm not buying the "bad knee" bit; he played all three games after his "bad knee" was revealed.

ajismyhero
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Manny over Pods? No way.

The only thing Manny is good for is amusement during a 19 inning game. "Let's see how many times Manny can adjust himself, his batting glove, or his belt while standing on second base." or "How many times will he step out of the batter's box during his at-bat." Seriously, I think that game would have been 6 hours long, not 6 1/2 had Manny not been wasting time.

The Southside has a reputation for hard-working ball players who play the game because they love it. Manny would be an insult to it.

kitekrazy
07-11-2006, 01:21 PM

Plus we have enough guys that take an eternity to go around the bases.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Plus we have enough guys that take an eternity to go around the bases.

Well, that's another good point. :smile:

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Well, I think the trade demands cannot be put aside; they are surely indicative of how he gets along with the front office. As for how he gets along with his teammates, unless you're one of them, you sort of have to rely on media reports. Of course, as I mentioned in another thread, when asked about Manny during last night's home run derby, Ortiz seemed somewhat ill at ease, like he wanted the subject changed.

Maybe Fenway can check in with a comment or two when he shows up.

Edit: One more thing: I think that blowing off the All-Star Game after your fans have done you the honor of voting for you says something about character as well. And I'm not buying the "bad knee" bit; he played all three games after his "bad knee" was revealed.

My understanding of the trade requests were his dislike of the city of Boston and lack of privacy, not any problem he was having with the front office or the team itself.

The all-star game thing, in some previous years I might have agreed with you but this year his manager was the one coming out saying he didn't want Manny to play because he's been nursing a sore knee. Obviously he's healthy enough to play, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a thing with his knee. Alot of guys are banged up this time of year. Sure they "can" play, but don't want to risk doing so in "meaningless" situations. I know the fans are disappointed and the Commish's office is none too pleased but I can't blame Manny or the Red Sox this time.

What does he owe the fans who voted for him more: 1) a couple of at bats in an exhibition game or 2) Trying to get as healthy as possible for the second half in a tight pennant race? I'd submit #2 is FAR more important and is why you won't see Contreras out there tonight, either.

The only thing I really recall with Manny happened a couple of years ago when he sat out a week or 10 days with some mysterious injury and people speculated he was well enough to play. Of course, the same thing happened with Frank and his foot...we all know how that turned out, he tried to play on it too soon and ended up spending the better part of two years on the DL.

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Manny over Pods? No way.

The only thing Manny is good for is amusement during a 19 inning game. "Let's see how many times Manny can adjust himself, his batting glove, or his belt while standing on second base." or "How many times will he step out of the batter's box during his at-bat." Seriously, I think that game would have been 6 hours long, not 6 1/2 had Manny not been wasting time.

The Southside has a reputation for hard-working ball players who play the game because they love it. Manny would be an insult to it.

I see...so Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle would be unwelcome on your team? Reggie Jackson need not apply. And how exactly did Frank Thomas last so long at 35th and shields being such an insult, and all?:D:

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 02:50 PM
My understanding of the trade requests were his dislike of the city of Boston and lack of privacy, not any problem he was having with the front office or the team itself.

The all-star game thing, in some previous years I might have agreed with you but this year his manager was the one coming out saying he didn't want Manny to play because he's been nursing a sore knee. Obviously he's healthy enough to play, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a thing with his knee. Alot of guys are banged up this time of year. Sure they "can" play, but don't want to risk doing so in "meaningless" situations. I know the fans are disappointed and the Commish's office is none too pleased but I can't blame Manny or the Red Sox this time.

What does he owe the fans who voted for him more: 1) a couple of at bats in an exhibition game or 2) Trying to get as healthy as possible for the second half in a tight pennant race? I'd submit #2 is FAR more important and is why you won't see Contreras out there tonight, either.

The only thing I really recall with Manny happened a couple of years ago when he sat out a week or 10 days with some mysterious injury and people speculated he was well enough to play. Of course, the same thing happened with Frank and his foot...we all know how that turned out, he tried to play on it too soon and ended up spending the better part of two years on the DL.

Take a look at Fenway's thread on this topic in Talking Baseball. As of last Friday, Manny was going to the All-Star Game and was looking forward to playing for Ozzie.

This is pretty typical "Manny Being Manny" stuff. He wants a trade/he doesn't want a trade; he's not playing/he's playing/he's not playing;
he needs to rest his knee but he plays every inning of all three games AFTER it's anounced he has a sore knee. Including a 19-inning marathon.

My point is, IMO, this guy is too high-maintenance and not worth the trouble he takes. At least not for the Sox. If we were some team that's struggling but still had hopes of making the playoffs, then maybe. But that definition does not fit the White Sox as they are currently constructed. Who needs him?

Fenway
07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Now Bud Light is mad at Manny

PITTSBURGH -- Baseball commissioner Bud Selig was still upset today about Manny Ramirez not coming to Pittsburgh for tonight's All-Star Game because of a tender knee.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Current Red Sox ownership got stuck with Manny when they bought the club when Dan Duquette was told to spend whatever it took in 2001 to win it for the Yawkey's. They even waived Manny so anybody could have taken him by just assuming his contract and all 29 teams laughed.

Luckily for both our teams the proposed 3 way trade involving Manny, A-Rod, Mags and Nomar fell apart as had it happened there is a good chance neither the Red Sox or White Sox would have won it all.

One thing about Manny however, he always puts up the numbers.

Soxgirl22
07-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, he was the leading vote getter. At least do the fans who are dumb enough to vote for you a favor and go.

MRM
07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
They even waived Manny so anybody could have taken him by just assuming his contract and all 29 teams laughed.

That's not exactly true. Baseball waivers don't work like other sports. If a team had spent the money to take him off the wire the Red Sox would have simply pulled him back and attempted to work out a trade with that team. The baseball waiver wire is little more than a way to gauge interest in a player. There is no way Boston was going to let him go to another team unconditionally. Reports are they could have traded him to three different teams this year and they refused because they weren't getting enough in return.

Fenway
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
That's not exactly true. Baseball waivers don't work like other sports. There is no way Boston was going to let him go to another team unconditionally

After the 2003 season the Red Sox put Manny on unconditional waivers. If any team claimed him he was gone, but the other team assumed the contract. The Red Sox wanted the Yankees to bite but they didn't.

NardiWasHere
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Anyone who says that they would rather have Podsednik over Manny is nuts. Sorry, but come on. Scotty isn't even a good left fielder either.

People are bashing the guy because he isn't playing in the all-star game.... Didn't Thomas do the same thing? (I remember some all-star controversy like that)

Why don't you guys call up Theo and Kenny and see who is the first to decline a trade of Pods/Manny straight up?

HINT: It isn't KW

I'd even install a little bathroom into the left field wall for him....

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Anyone who says that they would rather have Podsednik over Manny is nuts. Sorry, but come on. Scotty isn't even a good left fielder either.

People are bashing the guy because he isn't playing in the all-star game.... Didn't Thomas do the same thing? (I remember some all-star controversy like that)

Why don't you guys call up Theo and Kenny and see who is the first to decline a trade of Pods/Manny straight up?

HINT: It isn't KW

I'd even install a little bathroom into the left field wall for him....

Re-read the posts. People are bashing him for a number of things. And name-call all you want, but yes, I'd rather have an average outfielder who is a speedster on the basepaths than an average outfielder who, although a bopper, is slow as molasses.

Has recent history taught you nothing? We had the big bopper team. For several years. And we came up short every year. Last year, we mixed it up a bit. We still had the boppers, but we added speed and pitching. And look what happened. Fast-forward to 2006. We have plenty of boppers on this team; we've even added one. The last thing we need is to sacrifice speed on the basepaths for yet another one. And one who is an average outfielder at best.

Pass.

digdagdug23
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Re-read the posts. People are bashing him for a number of things. And name-call all you want, but yes, I'd rather have an average outfielder who is a speedster on the basepaths than an average outfielder who, although a bopper, is slow as molasses.

Has recent history taught you nothing? We had the big bopper team. For several years. And we came up short every year. Last year, we mixed it up a bit. We still had the boppers, but we added speed and pitching. And look what happened. Fast-forward to 2006. We have plenty of boppers on this team; we've even added one. The last thing we need is to sacrifice speed on the basepaths for yet another one. And one who is an average outfielder at best.

Pass.

Ummmm, ditto.

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Scott hasn't exactly been a "speedster". 29 SB against 12 CS. Him attempting steals is hurting more than it's helping.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Scott hasn't exactly been a "speedster". 29 SB against 12 CS. Him attempting steals is hurting more than it's helping.
Well, I don't have the stats right in front of me--and since I'm getting really tired of this entire topic--I'm not going to do the research, I would venture to guess that Scotty's 29 SB ranks at least in the top 10. And do you really believe that the value of a having a "speedster" on your team can be broken down into SB against CS? Again, intangibles. When Scotty is on first (or second), that plays hell with the pitcher. This is something that cannot be measured, but which Scotty and other speedsters bring to the table. So he gets caught stealing. How often does the pitcher make a mistake because he is dancing around out there?

Fenway
07-11-2006, 04:33 PM
SElig is even madder at Manny than the Boston Globe indicated, from the Boston Herald

http://sports.bostonherald.com/sportsColumnists/view.bg?articleid=147898

“The only thing I want to say in all fairness is that he’s the only player we had that problem with this year,” Selig said of Ramirez. “Everybody else has been terrific. Tommy Glavine does the right thing. He comes anyway. Of course he can’t pitch. But he comes anyway. And Reyes is also here and he can’t (play). But he’s here. This is an honor.
“Do you know how many people in life would give, would run through a brick wall to have this kind of honor?”
Selig then added, “I need a vacation too, but . . .”

Craig Grebeck
07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, I don't have the stats right in front of me--and since I'm getting really tired of this entire topic--I'm not going to do the research, I would venture to guess that Scotty's 29 SB ranks at least in the top 10. And do you really believe that the value of a having a "speedster" on your team can be broken down into SB against CS? Again, intangibles. When Scotty is on first (or second), that plays hell with the pitcher. This is something that cannot be measured, but which Scotty and other speedsters bring to the table. So he gets caught stealing. How often does the pitcher make a mistake because he is dancing around out there?
I don't know. I do know that Scott has recorded 12 outs on the basepaths, which is detrimental to the team. I love that he takes so many pitches and I fully expect him to end up around .275/.380, but he's running the team into outs.

Patrick134
07-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't know. I do know that Scott has recorded 12 outs on the basepaths, which is detrimental to the team. I love that he takes so many pitches and I fully expect him to end up around .275/.380, but he's running the team into outs.

He's stolen more bases than he's been caught. By your logic wouldn't that mean that he runs the team into more runs scored than he has outs ?

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM

And my point is that no matter how many outs he has recorded on the basepaths, he has most likely offset those numbers--probably bigtime--by wreaking havoc on opposing pitchers. This is an intangible and, as such, cannot be tracked.

Consider: If Scotty's on second and there's a runner on third and the pitcher whirls to try to throw Scotty out and throws the ball into center field and the guy on third scores, Scotty is credited with--what? That's right, nothing. Maybe they need to invent a "runs scored due to pest on base," but until they do, I want Scotty over another slow bopper--thus bringing us back to our regularly scheduled topic.

MarySwiss
07-11-2006, 04:45 PM
He's stolen more bases than he's been caught. By your logic wouldn't that mean that he runs the team into more runs scored than he has outs ?

:yup:

Fenway
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Bob Ryan captures "Manny Being Manny" better than any of us can

BOB RYAN (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/ryan/)
It's all part of Manny's being (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/07/13/its_all_part_of_mannys_being)

When play resumes tonight, Manny Ramírez will be batting fourth and playing left field. What did or didn't happen two nights ago in Pittsburgh no longer matters.