PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Closer Hit List

Gregory Pratt
07-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't post much here, but I do browse about.

Someone has a "White Sox Hitlist" of closers that we've beaten up on. I have been looking about for that poster, so I could look at his signature again, and I can't find him.

anyone know who I'm talking about? Please re-direct me.

Gregory Pratt
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Someone's gotta know.

ChiSoxGirl
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
It's HotelWhiteSox.

jabrch
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=5969

2006 Hit List: Eddie Guardado, Huston Street, BJ Ryan, Fernando Rodney, Bob Wickman, Brad Lidge, Ryan Dempster, counting...

Add Papelbon to that...

WSox8404
07-09-2006, 11:23 PM

2006 Hit List: Eddie Guardado, Huston Street, BJ Ryan, Fernando Rodney, Bob Wickman, Brad Lidge, Ryan Dempster, counting...

Add Papelbon to that...

Hey papelbon welcome to the club!

PAPChiSox729
07-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey papelbon welcome to the club!

The hype Papelbon is getting has been bothering me. I mean calling him the AL Cy Young favorite is just ridiculous, IMO. For a reliever to deserve that award, they have to have a year like Gange had a few years ago, very little to NO blown saves. I don't care how small his ERA is; 3 BS at the AS break just isn't Cy Young worthy.

WSox8404
07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
The hype Papelbon is getting has been bothering me. I mean calling him the AL Cy Young favorite is just ridiculous, IMO. For a reliever to deserve that award, they have to have a year like Gange had a few years ago; very little to NO blown saves. I don't care how small his ERA is; 3 BS at the AS break just isn't Cy Young worthy.

Agreed.

Chips
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
The hype Papelbon is getting has been bothering me. I mean calling him the AL Cy Young favorite is just ridiculous, IMO. For a reliever to deserve that award, they have to have a year like Gange had a few years ago; very little to NO blown saves. I don't care how small his ERA is; 3 BS at the AS break just isn't Cy Young worthy.

AL Cy Young favorite should be no other than Jose Contreras.

popilius
07-10-2006, 12:36 AM
And don't forget Armando Benitez, John Smoltz, and Billy Wagner a few years ago!

:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
07-10-2006, 01:00 AM
When I saw Papelbon pitch on Saturday, I expected a lot of strikeouts and broken bats from all the hype I heard about him. He was not impressive in terms of his stuff. He has a good fastball and slider and a mediocre splitter. When he can't locate the slider, I would think that his fastball would be pretty hittable. And when he can't locate his slider...well, we saw what happened today.

My guess is that he will fall back to Earth in the second half. He will not continue to have an ERA under .5 once teams realize he isn't all that he's hyped up to be. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but as PapChisox said, not Cy Young worthy.

oeo
07-10-2006, 01:22 AM
When I saw Papelbon pitch on Saturday, I expected a lot of strikeouts and broken bats from all the hype I heard about him. He was not impressive in terms of his stuff. He has a good fastball and slider and a mediocre splitter. When he can't locate the slider, I would think that his fastball would be pretty hittable. And when he can't locate his slider...well, we saw what happened today.

My guess is that he will fall back to Earth in the second half. He will not continue to have an ERA under .5 once teams realize he isn't all that he's hyped up to be. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but as PapChisox said, not Cy Young worthy.
Throw that first pitch fastball right down the heart one more time to Thome, and you're finished Papelbon. I also thought he was younger than 25...they said he was a young stud; that's young, but I was thinking more like 22.

I wasn't very impressed either.

TDog
07-10-2006, 01:32 AM
If I'm understating the number of times this has happened, it's because I lost count, but I think this was the third time a White Sox player has tied a 1-run game with a home run with 2 outs in the 9th. That doesn't include Iguchi's slam with 2 outs in the 9th to tie the Astros or AJ's 3-run homer with 2 outs in the 9th to give the Sox the lead against the Cubs.

The Sox didn't win all of those games, but this team has amazing character.

gobears1987
07-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Add Papelbon to that...I think Brad Lidge is the pitcher we beat up more than any other. I'm sure he pretty much would rather not see us again.

DoItForDanPasqua
07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/051024_sox_win_200.jpg

gobears1987
07-10-2006, 02:22 AM
http://www.thestar.com/images/thestar/img/051024_sox_win_200.jpg"And Brad Lidge has a new taste in his mouth."

DoItForDanPasqua
07-10-2006, 02:30 AM
"And Brad Lidge has a new taste in his mouth."

I don't think that taste is new; I think he is just tasting what he had for lunch.

TDog
07-10-2006, 02:51 AM
I just heard on the radio that Aaron Miles doubled in the winning run against Lidge in the Sunday night game.

Apparently the scouting report failed to warn Lidge that Miles was once in the White Sox system so he could pitch around him.

anewman35
07-10-2006, 06:20 AM
The hype Papelbon is getting has been bothering me. I mean calling him the AL Cy Young favorite is just ridiculous, IMO. For a reliever to deserve that award, they have to have a year like Gange had a few years ago, very little to NO blown saves. I don't care how small his ERA is; 3 BS at the AS break just isn't Cy Young worthy.

Even crazier, I've seen serious talk of him for MVP. I'm sorry, but I don't think ANY closer ever should be considered for MVP. The very best ones will save a few more games than an average closer, and I don't think they'd come close to having an impact on the team that a hitter could...

SoxFan78
07-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Even crazier, I've seen serious talk of him for MVP. I'm sorry, but I don't think ANY closer ever should be considered for MVP. The very best ones will save a few more games than an average closer, and I don't think they'd come close to having an impact on the team that a hitter could...

If Papelbon played for anybody west of Philadelphia, believe me, he wouldnt be getting half the hype hes getting now.

the gooch
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
If Papelbon played for anybody west of Philadelphia, believe me, he wouldnt be getting half the hype hes getting now.
he would be getting about as much hype as dustin hermanson did last year.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I think Brad Lidge is the pitcher we beat up more than any other. I'm sure he pretty much would rather not see us again.

Lidge is not only a member, he's the president!