PDA

View Full Version : Play GM: fine-tune the team

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
OK, it's the All-Star Break, and this team is pretty much living up to expectations. The team isn't getting as many breaks as last year, the pitchers aren't as dominant, but the lineup's way better, the bench is way better, and the 2006 Sox are looking like favorites to repeat.

So: what moves would you make to fine tune this team?

You can bring up Andruw Jones or John Smoltz or Ken Griffey or Jason Schmidt if you want to, but I don't really like any of those deal rumors. This team isn't going to pull a near-collapse like last year's team did, because we've got the championship experience now and because we're actually in a race with the Tigers. I think we're headed for 100+ wins and a WS berth, even if we coast into the playoffs via the wild card. And there's no reason to overspend (in cash and prospects) and shake things up.

However, there are a few obvious fine-tuning opportunities. Here are my suggestions.

1. Now is the time to deal a starter and get McCarthy into the rotation. This is not a panic move, it's been preordained. Contreras (still undefeated!) is probably off limits, but it's time to listen to offers for the rest -- even Buehrle! -- and make a move that improves us now and for the future. For example, we gave up an end-of-the-line starter, a decent reliever, and a blue chip prospect for Vazquez; maybe we can get a topnotch reliever and a couple of top prospects back. The Mets might be a good fit.

2. We're thin at catcher. If A.J. gets hurt in a bar fight, I don't think Stewart is sufficient to back up Widge. We should trade a spare part who has some value (Gload, Politte) for some veteran depth.

3. As great as our bench has been, we need someone else who can flash the leather in CF. Some of you pine for Jones or Griffey, thus making B.A. the backup, but I'm encouraged by the way Anderson has been playing and I'm willing to stay with him. I just don't want to see two of Pods, Ozuna, Mack, and Gload in the same outfield again.

4. We should be looking for two solid righthanded relievers (one to possibly replace Politte, one to replace McCarthy). We should get a very good one back when we trade a starter, but the second one will probably be Hermanson, Montero, Tracey, Haeger, Farnsworth, or Redding. I don't expect the '05 Politte or '05 Hermanson back, so I'd roll the dice with Haeger; he'd be a different look for hitters, and he could eat innings.

That's it...a short list.

DaleJRFan
07-09-2006, 10:17 PM
1. Let Brian Anderson play CF and stop platooning him with Mackowiak.

2. Trade for a decent right-handed batting forth OF (example: Juan Rivera) and DFA Gload along with and his constant raking of the batter's box dirt with his spikes.

3. Trade for a servicable right-handed relief pitcher. I'm not talking Scot Shields here, more along the lines of LaTroy Hawkins (shudders), though not specifically. Someone with FA coming this offseason who won't cost much more than a AAA piece or a B prospect (IE: David Riske). If this occurs, DFA Politte.

4. Shorten the leesh on the starters. If they are getting shelled with one out in the 5th inning, don't leave them in to "see if they can get out of it and eat innings" - it's killed numerous games this season.

5. NEVER, EVER again, allow Podsednik to bunt.

NOTE: #s 2, 3, 4 & 5 are VERY distant from #1.

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 10:22 PM
4. Shorten the leesh on the starters. If they are getting shelled with one out in the 5th inning, don't leave them in to "see if they can get out of it and eat innings" - it's killed numerous games this season.

Nice list, overlaps mine in most respects. In order to pull off #4 we need relievers who can pitch more than an inning.

DaleJRFan
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Nice list, overlaps mine in most respects. In order to pull off #4 we need relievers who can pitch more than an inning.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_435221.jpg

"...your what hurts???"

BainesHOF
07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
1. A decision needs to be made in CF. Either play Anderson everyday or trade for an upgrade.

2. Look for a backup catcher with a reputation of calling a good game. Widger is throwing off our pitchers. In his last two or three starts his pitch-calling has been really poor, and he's not doing anything with the bat anymore.

3. Find a backup outfielder who can handle CF defensively. We can trade one of our many utility infielders.

4. Keep an eye open for a righty reliever upgrade of Politte.

gf2020
07-09-2006, 10:37 PM
2. Trade for a decent right-handed batting forth OF (example: Juan Rivera) and DFA Gload along with and his constant raking of the batter's box dirt with his spikes. I know he doesn't bat right handed, but Mack is hitting .309. Who are we going to get that is better? Gload is hitting .288 in very difficult circumstances with very sporadic ABs.

Tragg
07-09-2006, 10:43 PM
However, there are a few obvious fine-tuning opportunities. Here are my suggestions.

1. Now is the time to deal a starter and get McCarthy into the rotation. This is not a panic move, it's been preordained. Contreras (still undefeated!) is probably off limits, but it's time to listen to offers for the rest -- even Buehrle! -- and make a move that improves us now and for the future. For example, we gave up an end-of-the-line starter, a decent reliever, and a blue chip prospect for Vazquez; maybe we can get a topnotch reliever and a couple of top prospects back. The Mets might be a good fit.

2. We're thin at catcher. If A.J. gets hurt in a bar fight, I don't think Stewart is sufficient to back up Widge. We should trade a spare part who has some value (Gload, Politte) for some veteran depth.

3. As great as our bench has been, we need someone else who can flash the leather in CF. Some of you pine for Jones or Griffey, thus making B.A. the backup, but I'm encouraged by the way Anderson has been playing and I'm willing to stay with him. I just don't want to see two of Pods, Ozuna, Mack, and Gload in the same outfield again.

4. We should be looking for two solid righthanded relievers (one to possibly replace Politte, one to replace McCarthy). We should get a very good one back when we trade a starter, but the second one will probably be Hermanson, Montero, Tracey, Haeger, Farnsworth, or Redding. I don't expect the '05 Politte or '05 Hermanson back, so I'd roll the dice with Haeger; he'd be a different look for hitters, and he could eat innings.

That's it...a short list. I agree with your preamble....Smoltz, Jones, Schmidt are overkill and won't help long-term.

I like your #1, although it would be risky; but I'm all for giving McCarthy more quality time.

Re 3, I don't think we need to trade for a top-grade defensive CF and the usual suspects would be ridiculously expensive overkills that we really don't need (andruw jones is an offensive clone of what we have/had....Lee, Dye, Konerko, and we're stuck with the contract with a fine young player behind him);

We could use another solid bench bat in the OF.

We probably need a middle reliever

It would be an interesting and gutty move to trade a starter - but, it could provide a couple of upgrades. Might move Rob M or Osuna (his bloops and grounders won't find holes forever) too.

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I know he doesn't bat right handed, but Mack is hitting .309. Who are we going to get that is better? Gload is hitting .288 in very difficult circumstances with very sporadic ABs.

Mack has a role, though he's certainly not untouchable.

The problem with Gload is there just isn't enough work for him. Konerko's a good enough 1B that he doesn't need a defensive replacement. Sure, you can pinch run for him, but that can backfire (as we saw today). So Ozzie plays Gload in the outfield occasionally just to get him work, and that's an even worse idea than Ozuna in left or Mack in center.

Chips
07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Trade Cliff Politte for anything.

Keep Brian Anderson the starting centerfielder for the rest of the damn season.

MySoxAreClean
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Bring Rowand Back! Bye Bye Anderson!

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Re 3, I don't think we need to trade for a top-grade defensive CF and the usual suspects would be ridiculously expensive overkills that we really don't need (andruw jones is an offensive clone of what we have/had....Lee, Dye, Konerko, and we're stuck with the contract with a fine young player behind him);

We could use another solid bench bat in the OF.

Job description: Utility outfielder, reliable enough to play CF, capable of batting .250-.260 with doubles power and not afraid to draw a walk. Right-handed bat preferred.

santo=dorf
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Trade for Latroy Hawkins, see if AJ can straighten him out or give one of our farmhands like Farnsworth a shot.
DFA Politte and Widger.
Trade for Henry Blanco.

Tell Ozzie to put Mack in the lineup for Pods some time.
Ask Ozzie to make sure these guys know how to bunt.

chisoxmike
07-09-2006, 11:06 PM
1) Keep Brian Anderson STARTING CF.

2) If Politte works a scoreless inning, do not bring him out for a second.

3) Trade for a right handed relief pitcher.

4) When Vazquez is imploding, dont let him work out of it, pull him!!

oeo
I know he doesn't bat right handed, but Mack is hitting .309. Who are we going to get that is better? Gload is hitting .288 in very difficult circumstances with very sporadic ABs.
You're not replacing Mackowiak, so what's the difference. Mackowiak is not a centerfielder...if you pick up a real outfielder that can play centerfield, then you don't have defensive problems when Anderson gets days off. Mackowiak can play the corners, but he's terrible in center...get a real outfielder to fill that hole. I'm going to puke when I see Mackowiak and Ozuna in the same outfield. Another outfielder not only keeps Ozuna out of the outfield, but it also keeps the Mackowiak/Ozuna tandem, out of the outfield.

Gload can play...firstbase. That's it...there's really no need for him. Ozuna and Mackowiak can both play first (as well as Thome).

What would be really sweet is if that Chone Figgins rumor came true. That makes for an AMAZING bench. I'll keep him in my dreams with Crawford, though.

chisoxmike

No.

SABRSox
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
The CF situation needs to be addressed. A platoon isn't going to work from here on out. I say give BA a few starts after the break, and get it into his head that what happened in the 1st half, stays in the 1st half.

oeo
07-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Don't look now, but Anderson is batting .192 on the season. .308 in the last week with 2 RBI's and a stolen base. 3 hard hit balls against Curt Schilling today...don't tell me he can't hit big league pitching, because Schilling is one of the tops.

gf2020
07-09-2006, 11:20 PM
You're not replacing Mackowiak, so what's the difference. Mackowiak is not a centerfielder...if you pick up a real outfielder that can play centerfield, then you don't have defensive problems when Anderson gets days off. Mackowiak can play the corners, but he's terrible in center...get a real outfielder to fill that hole. I'm going to puke when I see Mackowiak and Ozuna in the same outfield. Another outfielder not only keeps Ozuna out of the outfield, but it also keeps the Mackowiak/Ozuna tandem, out of the outfield.

Gload can play...firstbase. That's it...there's really no need for him. Ozuna and Mackowiak can both play first (as well as Thome).
You place a premium on center field defense as you should. But why don't you value defense at first? It's almost as important with how many balls need to be picked out of the dirt. Obviously, we are fine if Konerko is healthy, but what if he goes down? Do you really want to risk Thome by giving him time there? Look at what happened to the Cubs when they didn't have a replacement for DLee. Ozuna and Mack holding first down for any extended period of time would be a disaster. Konerko needs an emergency defensive replacement. Anderson very clearly doesn't.

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Job description: Utility outfielder, reliable enough to play CF, capable of batting .250-.260 with doubles power and not afraid to draw a walk. Right-handed bat preferred.

Willie Bloomquist would fit this description well enough. Seattle also has relief pitchers (Putz, Soriano). They wouldn't want our surplus starter but they'd probably be interested in Josh Fields.

oeo
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
You place a premium on center field defense as you should. But why don't you value defense at first? It's almost as important with how many balls need to be picked out of the dirt. Obviously, we are fine if Konerko is healthy, but what if he goes down? Do you really want to risk Thome by giving him time there? Look at what happened to the Cubs when they didn't have a replacement for DLee. Ozuna and Mack holding first down for any extended period of time would be a disaster. Konerko needs an emergency defensive replacement. Anderson very clearly doesn't.
An outfielder, a real outfielder...not an infielder, to play the outfield. The Flubs are a disaster with or without Lee.

You can say the same thing about the outfielders. What if Anderson and Dye both went down...then we have an outfield of Pods, Mackowiak, and Ozuna/Gload. :puking:

Of course losing Konerko would be bad (that's just like the Red Sox losing Manny, the Angels losing Vlad, etc.), but I would still rather have a real 4th outfielder in case one of our outfielders (or more) go down.

Chips
07-09-2006, 11:48 PM

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gif

jabrch
07-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Package Uribe, Fields and Sweeney (is that enough?) to the Os for Tejada and Britton or Ray.

Imagine that lineup...

And I am squarely in the KEEP BRIAN ANDERSON camp. His D is spectacular. And his hitting is coming along. The kid has hit at every level he has ever played in. I have no reason to believe he can't hit in the majors.

DaleJRFan
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM

Who are we going to get that is A) righthanded and B) better than Gload or Mackowiak defensively in the outfield? Juan Rivera.

By the way, Mackowiak is hitting .216 against lefties. Rivera is hitting 288 against lefties. Mack's a great bench player who can fill in at many positions in the event of an emergency, but he is not a guy I want to see pinch hit in the 7th/8th/9th inning and remain in on defense. He's a great situational player and that's that. This is the AL central, not the NL central.

I'd start by making a trade for Hawkins. He was pretty damn good with Minnesota and tanked in Wrigley and has been a solid 6th guy for Baltimore ala Vizcaino last season. He won't cost much and can't be worse than Politte (3.86 ERA vs 8.09 ERA).

The more I think about this stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go get Olivo from the Marlins or even Sandy Alomar from LA and reduce Widger's role to bullpen catcher duties. Florida is probably going to want a lot for Olivo since he is young and is having a great year so far (286 10/35 in the canyon known as Pro Player). Alomar is old but he is a gamer, great defensively and can hit a little bit, too.

Starting lineup and rotation stay the same. Bench changes a little and the BP get stronger.

BP:
McCarthy - long relief
Hawkins - 6th & 7th
Cotts - 6th & 7th
Riske - setup
Thornton - setup
Jenks - duh!

Bench:
Rivera - OF
Cintron - IF
Mackowiak - 3B or corner OF
Ozuna - IF pinch runner
Alomar/Olivo - C

Domeshot17
07-10-2006, 12:38 AM
(1) Brian Anderson is our starting CF. Let him play, and play entire games. However, our OF Depth SUCKS. Trade for Heager and a B spec to Tampa Bay for Gathright and either Toby Hall or Josh Paul. Now we get a real back up CF, a speedy guy, a good bunter, and a solid back up catcher. Paul should be available with Navarro now in tampa.

(2) We either need a right handed set up man, or a right handed middle reliever. Riske cant be both and the fact hes in a different role can only hurt him. As much as I hate Latroy, I think Latroy back in the AL Central, back with AJ, and back to setting up is a VERY GOOD ROLL OF THE DICE.

Other RP I would roll the dice on:
Mota-Cleveland
Borowski-FLA
Rauch/Majewski-Wash
Hernandez/Capps/Torres-Pitt

(not saying get um all, but getting 2 of that group would be HUGE). all should be relatively cheap.

(3) KEEP Gload. He gives you great contact off the bench. Good Glove at first and a better corner OF then pablo.

(4) If you deal an SP, deal Freddy. Vaz has the stuff, potential, to be good, even if hes sucking lately, garland too, Freddy has lost a lot. His heater isnt there and his bite on his breaking balls arent as strong. I know he is ozzie's boy, but he showed up his team when Mack missed that ball, and that doesnt fly. Freddy used to be so cool under pressure, let him know he either finds that, or hes getting a plane ticket.

Especially with Freddy if you could deal him, get a package of something like pelfry and chad bradford for Freddy and politte, that would be awesome.

DaleJRFan
07-10-2006, 12:40 AM
(1) Brian Anderson is our starting CF. Let him play, and play entire games. However, our OF Depth SUCKS. Trade for Heager and a B spec to Tampa Bay for Gathright and either Toby Hall or Josh Paul. Now we get a real back up CF, a speedy guy, a good bunter, and a solid back up catcher. Paul should be available with Navarro now in tampa.

Neither Gathright nor Toby Hall are on Tampa Bay any longer. They were both traded away, Gathright to KC and Hall to LA.

And why on earth would you want Josh Paul back in a Sox uni?

WSox8404
07-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Nothing. The pitching will come around and BA is starting to come out of his slump. Leave it alone. If it weren't for Detoit playing out of our minds we would have the best record in baseball. As it stands we have the second best. Leave it alone.

StatHead21
07-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Andruw Jones would be a perfect fit, and I would be willing to give up McCarthy and either Anderson or Fields

Tejeda would also fit extremly well but the O's would probably ask for way too much.

Griffey can't play defense anymore and is injury prone, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot poll.

Juan Pierre would be the easiest CF to get and I would take him. He's starting to heat up and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes off once he leaves the Cubs.

Right handed reliever can be found anywhere and it won't kill them if they don't find one.

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2006, 12:55 AM
I say do nothing and we can't go wrong

chisoxmike
07-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Andruw Jones would be a perfect fit, and I would be willing to give up McCarthy and either Anderson or Fields

Tejeda would also fit extremly well but the O's would probably ask for way too much.

Griffey can't play defense anymore and is injury prone, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot poll.

Juan Pierre would be the easiest CF to get and I would take him. He's starting to heat up and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes off once he leaves the Cubs.

Why get these guys when you have Juan Uribe and Brian Anderson?????

chisoxmike
07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Sometimes the best moves are the ones you dont make...

case in point, last year the Griffey deal was just about done, it would've sent Jose Contreras to the Reds for Jr.

Domeshot17
07-10-2006, 01:04 AM
hmm, didnt know Gathright got dealt, forgot about Hall. Then get bako and gathright from KC lol. I think the big thing was the relievers, you pick up ANY 2 of those relievers, and I think the pen could strive.

StatHead21
07-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Why get these guys when you have Juan Uribe and Brian Anderson?????

Brian Anderson isn't good he might be some day but not this year, Andruw Jones may be a future HOFer.

Uribe has struggled on D this season and like Andruw, Miguel Tejeda is possibly a future HOFer

Pierre isn't the best player, but he's Ozzie's boy and he's won a WS before and he would come cheap.

Domeshot17
07-10-2006, 01:20 AM
and how do we pay for this newly acquired 35 mil in payroll

getonbckthr
07-10-2006, 01:24 AM
1) Leave Brian Anderson alone. His defense more than makes up for his offense, and he is starting to hit.
2) Package Uribe, Vazquez and Fields for Tejada. Slide Mccarthy into the 5th spot, we only need 4 starters for the playoffs. Put Tracey in the long relief role.
3) If Pollitte continues to struggle hope Hermy is ready if not go after Roberto Hernandez. He will come cheap.
4) Find a an outfielder to replace Pods in the 8th and 9th.
5) Make Mack purely a backup infielder.
6) Rid the team of Gload, we don't need him.

A. Cavatica
07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Who are we going to get that is A) righthanded and B) better than Gload or Mackowiak defensively in the outfield? Juan Rivera.

Rivera is not quite good enough defensively. Our backup OF will probably see more time in center than left.

The more I think about this stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go get Olivo from the Marlins or even Sandy Alomar from LA and reduce Widger's role to bullpen catcher duties. Florida is probably going to want a lot for Olivo since he is young and is having a great year so far (286 10/35 in the canyon known as Pro Player). Alomar is old but he is a gamer, great defensively and can hit a little bit, too.

Olivo's an interesting name to bring up, but Alomar? He was washed up two years ago. He's not fit to be our AAA backup catcher...

A. Cavatica
07-10-2006, 01:27 AM

Right handed reliever can be found anywhere and it won't kill them if they don't find one.

There is no "perfect fit" making $10M+ a year...it's easy to suggest these guys, but it's not realistic.

thomas35forever
07-10-2006, 01:27 AM
1. Trade for Brady Clark. We need a more reliable backup centerfielder than Mackowiak. Don't go after Carl Crawford. The D-Rays will ask for too much.

2. Trade for some more bullpen help. Maybe Roberto Hernandez. It would give us more of a veteran feel on our pitching staff. That's what El Duque did for us last year.

3. Don't let Ozuna play leftfield anymore. It's not a wise decision if you're looking for good defense. Limit his fielding time to the left side of the infield.

cws05champ
07-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Sox are 1st in the league in runs scored!! We don't need to be too concerned about adding bats. We need decent relief:

Rafael Soriano for Sean Tracey, Politte and Cash(to pick up Politte's salary)
> Tracey will not have a place in the rotation any time soon, and may be passed by Broadway, lumdsen others...

Roberto Hernandez for Casey Rogowski
> He is having a good year and has a lot of experience..Rogo's got no where to go on the MLB roster.

Bobby Howry for Corwin Malone (AA) & Francisco Hernandez(Kannapolis)

oeo
07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Brian Anderson isn't good he might be some day but not this year, Andruw Jones may be a future HOFer.

Uribe has struggled on D this season and like Andruw, Miguel Tejeda is possibly a future HOFer

Pierre isn't the best player, but he's Ozzie's boy and he's won a WS before and he would come cheap.

Wait...Brian Anderson is NOT good, but Pierre is? No thanks on Pierre, he sucks.

And do you not want a farm system after these trade proposals. Who will the Sox have left after getting Jones and Tejada, WHO THEY DON'T EVEN NEED.

Look, Brian is swinging a good bat lately. As much as you'd hate to admit it, he's turning it around. Brian is going to be huge for us down the stretch and into the playoffs, both with his glove and with his bat.

For some reason, you'd hate to admit that he's turning it around, and I hope you enjoy your crow.

Mohoney
07-10-2006, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a 4th OF, preferably a right-handed bat, that has some speed and can play a decent CF on days that Anderson, who goes back to a starting role, needs off. He would also play LF on days when Pods needs off. Then Mackowiak can be used the way he should be: backing up the corners in the IF and OF (Pods, Dye, Konerko, and Crede can get much-needed breathers here and there, plus this can sometimes sneak another good lefty bat in against some righties).

The true backup OF takes Gload's spot because we get much more versatility; Gload can only play one position (I NEVER want to see him in the OF again, same goes for Ozuna), and it's a position that we have an ironman at. Mackowiak can play any fill-in time at 1B that we might need, but only if we start Anderson and get a true backup CF.

As far as the starting pitching goes, I say leave this rotation intact through the end of not only 2006, but 2007 as well. Since Kenny Williams went and aggressively locked up both Contreras and Garland over the offseason, and has a no-brainer club option for Buehrle (I say just exercise the thing right now), I want 2 shots at another title with this starting 5. I know that they're inconsistent right now, but I won't ever forget those 4 complete games (3 on the road, no less) that stymied the Angels and won us a pennant that was 46 long years in the making. I think that they deserve the chance to three-peat together, plus I think that the new arrival of the group deserves more than 3 months to prove himself. Think about it: where would we be if we gave up on Contreras after August and September of '04 and April of '05? We would probably be begging Kenny Williams to overpay for Jason Schmidt.

As for the bullpen, Cliff Politte's spot definitely needs to be upgraded. If the coaching staff thinks that he can turn it around, then give him until the deadline. If he strings together quite a few scoreless outings, then great. If he doesn't, then a trade absolutely must be made. No Tracey, no Montero, no Logan, no farmhand of any kind. We're already gambling with starting a rookie in CF, so I don't think that we can afford to do it in the bullpen. You can either have a rookie in CF or a rookie in the bullpen, but to have a rookie in both of these key roles is asking way too much. Therefore, since Anderson's upside is way higher than any of our minor league relievers, and his defense is already there, the choice isn't that hard at all. We wait for the other dimension of his game to come around.

Thome25
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I'd get Brady Clark from Milwaukee or Chone Figgins from the Angels to platoon in CF with BA.

I'd also get another reliever. Probably Latroy Hawkins from Baltimore (AJ has worked with him before in Minnesota.) or maybe Rafael Soriano from Seattle.
In a perfect world, I'd probably end up with both of these guys to shore up the bullpen.

russ99
07-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd get Brady Clark from Milwaukee or Chone Figgins from the Angels to platoon in CF with BA.

I'd also get another reliever. Probably Latroy Hawkins from Baltimore (AJ has worked with him before in Minnesota.) or maybe Rafael Soriano from Seattle.
In a perfect world, I'd probably end up with both of these guys to shore up the bullpen.
In a perfect world, we could get Figgins. He could spell both Iguchi and all 3 outfielders, and would be our perfect #2 hitter.

Otherwise, get a decent defensive CF, with some speed and can make contact. Mackowiak stays and subs for Pods and Crede. Gload could stay or go. Keep the rest of the bench, a extra catcher would be nice, but I'm not giving up on Widger (yet). Under no circumstances should they trade Fields. Crede is gone after next season (unless he ditches Boreass) and by then Josh should be ready to take over.

Bullpen - McCarthy - go or get off the pot. We're wasting his potential as a long reliever. He needs to start. Either here or prep him for his role next year in AAA. Maybe move Vazquez to the pen for a few starts to work out his kinks?
Politte - gone
Cotts - gone at the right price. Neal doesn't really have things going this year. Maybe trade him while he has value?
Riske, Thornton, Jenks - keep

We need both a lefty and a righty reliever, and why not shoot high and get a closer or a former closer to set up? That would keep Jenks on his toes and have someone ready in case Bobby gets injured or flames out. Don't count on Hermanson. Stopgap only.

Everyone in the minors except Fields, Sweeney and Broadway is tradeable. The goal of this organization is to win (again) now.

Tragg
07-10-2006, 09:25 AM

Pierre isn't the best player, but he's Ozzie's boy and he's won a WS before and he would come cheap. Jones, Tejada and Pierre would all be defensive downgrades from what we have. Anderson is just a little better than Jones, Tejada has no range (which is why Balt is playing him at DH a good bit), and Pierre is simply terrible....Ozzie manages this team, but doesn't pick talent.
Tejada and Jones bring offensive upgrades - at an immense price - to a team that is doing fine offensively.
Jones for McCarthy and Anderson??? That price for a Carlos Lee level hitter (no obp, good power) who's been hard used in his career? He's a hall of famer in the mind of Skip Carey, perhaps, but otherwise, a good player.

Howry? If he pitched like he did for the Cubs on the Sox, people would want to dump him...period.

Fine tune, don't make-over the team with the 2nd to best record in the game.

Minnie Me
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Wait...Brian Anderson is NOT good, but Pierre is? No thanks on Pierre, he sucks.

And do you not want a farm system after these trade proposals. Who will the Sox have left after getting Jones and Tejada, WHO THEY DON'T EVEN NEED.

Look, Brian is swinging a good bat lately. As much as you'd hate to admit it, he's turning it around. Brian is going to be huge for us down the stretch and into the playoffs, both with his glove and with his bat.

For some reason, you'd hate to admit that he's turning it around, and I hope you enjoy your crow.

BA is turning the corner. He started right before his suspension then had to sit for five games. Took him a couple of games to get going again and he has been much improved the past few games. Now he has to sit again because of the AS break. Look for him to get hot after the Yankmee series when we play the tigers.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I too would have Anderson starting every day in center field.

I proposed this elsewhere, but I'm of the mind to make an admittedly deeppink deal for this year that also sets us up for the future: Acquire Dontrelle Willis from the Florida Marlins for their choice of any three players in the organization not on the 25-man roster. If three is not enough, than any four. Or any five. Fields, Sweeney, Broadway, Haeger, Tracey, Liotta, etc. et. al. are all available.

Politte goes back on the 15-day DL for his bone spurs.

This moves Vazquez to the long relief role, giving the Sox two starter-quality pitchers (Vazquez and McCarthy) who can pitch 3+ innings out of the pen. This move also gives the Sox the best top of the rotation in the AL Central, vaulting us back over the Twins and Tigers who have closed ground.

Then, this offseason, use Garcia and Vazquez to engineer a three-team deal to acquire Carl Crawford and middle relief help. This way, the Sox are set with an inexpensive yet extremely strong rotation of Buehrle, Contreras, Willis, Garland and McCarthy for 2007 and beyond as they embark on a minimum eight-peat. And for that quest they also are set offensively, with a lineup of Crawford (LF), Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ, Crede, Uribe and Anderson (CF), with a bench of Pods, Cintron, Ozuna, Mackowiak and Widger.

ondafarm
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I think Hermanson will be back before long and that will add some stability in the pen. Politte may be gone (released) before the end of the season. If the Sox were in a bigger dogfight I might try to upgrade the rotation but I don't see it happening. The Sox do need someone better than Pods leading off, but that will probably wait until next year. I think Garland, Garcia and Vazquez are all trade bait next year, but only one will be gone.

WSox597
07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Personally, I'd rather not acquire any of the Cubs players. Leaving off any anti-Cub bias, they would take quite a bit to lose the habits they picked up over there.

About the only star they have that I would like to have is Derek Lee, and as the line goes, where's he gonna play?

Pierre is a light hitter, and has been below par this year. Blanco? He can't even start over there competing with Barrette.

Their infield is a joke, and as for the outfield, the only team Jones hits great against is the White Sox. He homers against the Sox all the time. Putting him on the Sox would cost him quite a few home runs. Probably the best outfielder they had is now on Baltimore, though nobody suspected it at the time.

Let's leave the Cubs to the Cubs, and keep Anderson in CF. His hitting will come around. Mack is a good bench player, but keep him out of CF. Pods needs to get his head in the game more, he seems to have lost his focus.

If any starter was to be traded, my choice would be Vazquez or Garcia. Just my opinion.

Politte needs to go somewhere else, maybe he'll re-discover his talent. Gload, especially after the bone-headed running yesterday, sayonara.

Hitmen77
07-10-2006, 02:05 PM

For those of you not paying attention, Anderson turned his season around a month ago - on June 11. As you may recall, this was 2 days after he appeared headed for AAA but instead got a vote of confidence from Ozzie. From that game forward, BA has been hitting .281.

StatHead21
07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Rumor central on ESPN.com says the Sox could get Jason Schmidt from the Giants for McCarthy and Anderson.

I'd assume they'd swing Garland or Vazquez for a CFer after the move if it happens.

wassagstdu
07-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Gload and Widger for Liriano and Mauer. Can't get that done? Then stand pat. I like this team's chances. Anderson in CF every day from here on, and don't even think about Uribe for Tejada -- or anyone else.

digdagdug23
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
In a perfect world, we could get Figgins. He could spell both Iguchi and all 3 outfielders, and would be our perfect #2 hitter.

So what are you saying here? The world is not perfect? Next thing you will be telling me that I am not getting a pony for Christmas, and damn you for even making the suggestion!

MRM
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
OK, it's the All-Star Break, and this team is pretty much living up to expectations. The team isn't getting as many breaks as last year, the pitchers aren't as dominant, but the lineup's way better, the bench is way better, and the 2006 Sox are looking like favorites to repeat.

So: what moves would you make to fine tune this team?

You can bring up Andruw Jones or John Smoltz or Ken Griffey or Jason Schmidt if you want to, but I don't really like any of those deal rumors. This team isn't going to pull a near-collapse like last year's team did, because we've got the championship experience now and because we're actually in a race with the Tigers. I think we're headed for 100+ wins and a WS berth, even if we coast into the playoffs via the wild card. And there's no reason to overspend (in cash and prospects) and shake things up.

That's it...a short list.

1. No way I trade a starter for a reliever and "prospects". Starting pitching is THE premium position in MLB right now. Relief pitchers are the most inconsistent bunch of people on the face of the earth. I better be getting a top reliever AND a ready to contribute position player to go along with a prospect or two.

2. What are you going to do with an extra catcher? Cut Widger? I see no real need here unless you are just greedy.

3. Either replace BA as the starter or leave it alone. Who are you going to let go of on the bench to bring in a lesser hitting defensive stud behind Anderson? That's what you are asking for. A defensive centerfielder off the bench...which means he'd be a guy who is WORSE with the bat than BA. Why?...and does such a person even exist? :D:

4. Relief pitching is certainly the problem right now. I don't think the answer is in-house for this year. This is where Kenny is going to have to make some sort of controversial move. Don't think he's going to give away a starter for a middle relief guy, tho. I'll be VERY unhappy if he does.

Now...I AM greedy. I want to trade McCarthy and Anderson for Andrew Jones and a prospect. Atlanta would jump on it and the Sox would score 1000 runs this year...and next.

caulfield12
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
1. Move McCarthy into the starting rotation and put Vazquez in the pen....Vazquez has some of the best stuff on the team, and getting more consistency out of McCarthy in the rotation is more likely than getting it out of Javier at this point. Although yesterday's pitching against Boston was done against fatigued players in less than ideal conditions (sun).

2. Keep Anderson in CF, playing everyday, until the deadline. Then make your decision, but don't overextend Mack beyond his capabilities. Keep the lines open about Hunter (very unlikely) and A. Jones, along with lesser players like Winn of SF.

Continue to monitor availability of Cameron, Erstad, Dave Roberts, Matos (not an upgrade probably), Brady Clark, Griffey, etc. All are FA's and should not preclude BA from being CF next season. A-Row survived being dumped as starter 2-3 times, BA will be fine as well psychologically.

3. Brian Anderson, and especially Chris Widger, are not going to cause this team not to make the playoffs, we still have to keep the big picture in mind. Widger is a great clubhouse presence and a future manager. It's not logical to replace him at this point, it would be like adding Josh Paul over Mark Johnson...it will just upset the clubhouse chemistry. Not needed.

4. Look at Scott Williamson, R. Hernandez, S. Torres, L. Hawkins, Danny Kolb...heck, Armando Benitez too.

Continue to monitor Politte, Riske and Hermanson for signs as to whether to make a deal or not.

MRM
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I think Hermanson will be back before long and that will add some stability in the pen. Politte may be gone (released) before the end of the season. If the Sox were in a bigger dogfight I might try to upgrade the rotation but I don't see it happening. The Sox do need someone better than Pods leading off, but that will probably wait until next year. I think Garland, Garcia and Vazquez are all trade bait next year, but only one will be gone.

I wouldn't put anything past Kenny, but I seriously doubt any of the pitchers you mention are "trade bait" if their end year numbers resemble their mid-year numbers. You simply wouldn't get value out of trading them. I can easily see McCarthy being traded. Maybe even Contreras. Buehrle is probably untouchable except in an exceptional deal.

I'll throw a shocker out there, tho. I think Pods is gone after this year. I've seen too many comments from Ozzie, Kenny, and the training staff about Scott being "high maintienence". Primma Donnas won't last under Ozzie. I see Pods running a bunch in the second half. Try to get that SB number up around 70...then, Bye. It wouldn't shock me if he was part of a mid-season blockbuster deal in the next coupla weeks, even. Aren't the Yankees looking for corner outfielders and a true lead off man?:D:

Chips
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Gload and Widger for Liriano and Mauer.

That would be nice. I fail to see it happening though.

batmanZoSo
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Shouldn't that have been in teal? Quick, someone fix it for him.

Jjav829
07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Shouldn't that have been in teal? Quick, someone fix it for him.

I think the proper action is to post the teal police tag...

Chips
07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I think the proper action is to post the teal police tag...

How's that?
:tealpolice:

caulfield12
07-10-2006, 08:20 PM
The only Braves prospect that really fits the bill as a set-up guy is Anthony Lerew, and he has been getting torched in the minors. Kyle Davies is out with an injured groin, and his return is uncertain.

Ken Ray or Chad Paronto simply aren't going to get it done in terms of a possible trade.

It would have to be Andruw Jones and John Smoltz for a package I don't want to even begin to consider...

Probably McCarthy, Anderson, Fields/Sweeney and one of our best minor league starters that would be eligible for trade (more than Haeger)

caulfield12
07-10-2006, 08:23 PM
MRM, then who do you want to be OUR lead-off man if you make this deal?

Yeah, Scott has played like crap fundamentally, has been absolutely horrible on defense and has been SUPER streaky at the plate, but please tell me you're not going to put Melky Cabrera, Gload, Ozuna or Josh Fields out there?

Sure, the Yankees want to give up Robinson Cano, we can stick him in LF and make him our leadoff hitter, but that is never going to happen in 1000 years.

kitekrazy
07-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Rumor central on ESPN.com says the Sox could get Jason Schmidt from the Giants for McCarthy and Anderson.

I'd assume they'd swing Garland or Vazquez for a CFer after the move if it happens.

That sounds so ESPN. :rolleyes:

kitekrazy
07-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Nothing. The pitching will come around and BA is starting to come out of his slump. Leave it alone. If it weren't for Detoit playing out of our minds we would have the best record in baseball. As it stands we have the second best. Leave it alone.

Right on! This team wins games playing bad baseball.

I don't like the idea of trading tomorrows talent for today like Anderson and McCarthy. You end up like the Cubs and have the worst talent money can buy.

caulfield12
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Every team has to trade minor leaguers....and the White Sox have traded more of their Top 10 prospects than any other MLB team in the last 5-6 seasons.

In fact, we've managed to develop only three starters (Rowand, Crede and Buehrle) and Garland, who was essentially close to ready for the bigs when we got him from the Cubs.

KW has done a great job of acquiring up-and-coming younger players (Uribe, Thornton, Cotts, Marte, Jenks, Jerry Owens), divesting the marginal ones and mixing in the veterans that make up the better part of every championship team (AJ, Dye, Hermanson, El Duque, Iguchi, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez, Carl Everett, Vizcaino, etc.)

We managed to get to the point we're at with the loss of only two prospects KW hated to part with, Chris Young and Gio Gonzalez.

The question for KW is how important BA and McCarthy are to the future of this team, versus winning the next two seasons. There's no sure-fire solution, IF we got Jason Schmidt and Armando Benitez tomorrow...we would have a BETTER chance to win the World Series, but look no further than Minnesota, Oakland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Cleveland for teams that never quite got the brass ring yet all very good teams (well, Atlanta won once in 14 years, lol).

He also has to consider the possibility of a Cleveland situation this year, where he would have to shed salary and there wouldn't be the guaranteed receipts to sustain the huge payroll the White Sox and JR have agreed to take on temporarily.

JB98
07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Keep Anderson and McCarthy. We don't need a backup catcher. Widger is plenty serviceable. AJ will play all the games in the postseason anyway.

Get another right-handed arm for the bullpen. We can't count on Hermanson. Doesn't have to be a stud, just somebody who would be an upgrade over Politte. We shouldn't have to give up any of our top prospects to do that.

kitekrazy
07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
The question for KW is how important BA and McCarthy are to the future of this team, versus winning the next two seasons. There's no sure-fire solution, IF we got Jason Schmidt and Armando Benitez tomorrow...we would have a BETTER chance to win the World Series, but look no further than Minnesota, Oakland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Cleveland for teams that never quite got the brass ring yet all very good teams (well, Atlanta won once in 14 years, lol).

He also has to consider the possibility of a Cleveland situation this year, where he would have to shed salary and there wouldn't be the guaranteed receipts to sustain the huge payroll the White Sox and JR have agreed to take on temporarily.

I'm having a hard time understadning what you are trying to say here.

A. Cavatica
07-10-2006, 09:09 PM
1. No way I trade a starter for a reliever and "prospects". Starting pitching is THE premium position in MLB right now. Relief pitchers are the most inconsistent bunch of people on the face of the earth. I better be getting a top reliever AND a ready to contribute position player to go along with a prospect or two.

Point taken...but we don't need any position players this year, except at the very end of the bench. If we can get a top-flight reliever for this year and a top prospect (I mean top, at least as good as Chris Young) for next year then whatever else we can get is gravy. We improve just by replacing Vazquez (or Garcia, or Garland, and the corresponding salary) with McCarthy.

2. What are you going to do with an extra catcher? Cut Widger? I see no real need here unless you are just greedy.

He goes to AAA. He doesn't play for the Sox unless someone gets hurt. I'm being realistic, it's about what we can hope to get for Gload.

3. Either replace BA as the starter or leave it alone. Who are you going to let go of on the bench to bring in a lesser hitting defensive stud behind Anderson? That's what you are asking for. A defensive centerfielder off the bench...which means he'd be a guy who is WORSE with the bat than BA. Why?...and does such a person even exist? :D:

As I said, I would not replace BA. I'd replace Gload (on the roster) and Mackowiak/Ozuna (in their backup-outfielder roles) with a real backup outfielder. And I never characterized the role as a worse hitter or a better defensive OF than BA, I'm not sure where you get that. :?:

4. Relief pitching is certainly the problem right now. I don't think the answer is in-house for this year. This is where Kenny is going to have to make some sort of controversial move. Don't think he's going to give away a starter for a middle relief guy, tho. I'll be VERY unhappy if he does.

Now...I AM greedy. I want to trade McCarthy and Anderson for Andrew Jones and a prospect. Atlanta would jump on it and the Sox would score 1000 runs this year...and next.

Middle relief guy? It would have to be at least a good setup man, and ideally someone who's closed before. Think Politte or Hermy, circa 2005.

Yikes. I really hope we don't trade McCarthy and Anderson for Andruw Jones or anyone else. They're good players now, and they're going to get even better in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

kitekrazy
07-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Keep Anderson and McCarthy. We don't need a backup catcher. Widger is plenty serviceable. AJ will play all the games in the postseason anyway.

Get another right-handed arm for the bullpen. We can't count on Hermanson. Doesn't have to be a stud, just somebody who would be an upgrade over Politte. We shouldn't have to give up any of our top prospects to do that.

Yep. Trading McCarthy wouldn't help a bullpen that is already in need. Outside of Jenks and McCarthy everyone else in the pen is like having another Marte.

caulfield12
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Very simple.

There's no guaranteed addition that will make this team win the World Series....Zito, Andruw Jones, Schmidt, Hunter, etc.

It has been guaranteed that when we don't have a competitive teams, the fans haven't HISTORICALLY supported that product.

From that perspective, it makes more sense to keep the long-term in perspective instead of "going for broke" over the next two years, which would mean trading Anderson, McCarthy and Fields and probably Sweeney.

We do know that Garcia doesn't look to be the same pitcher, that Vazquez and Garland are frighteningly inconsistent and that McCarthy is the most valuable player on our team in terms of trade value.

Unless something overwhelming comes along, we keep this team intact but also don't diminish our ability to compete over the long haul, especially if-when we lose Garcia and Buehrle after next season.

house215
07-10-2006, 09:18 PM
:everett:

"The team needs some leadership. Hit me up."

JB98
07-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Yep. Trading McCarthy wouldn't help a bullpen that is already in need. Outside of Jenks and McCarthy everyone else in the pen is like having another Marte.

I'm actually very satisfied with our left-handed relief. Cotts has been reliable and consistent the last six weeks. Thornton has been throwing strikes and working ahead of hitters. As long as that continues, the results should be favorable. I actually trust those two guys out of the pen more than I trust Brandon at this point. I just think McCarthy is a future All-Star as a starter, perhaps as early as next year. As a reliever, he's out of his element and inconsistent. But his future is so bright that he's off limits for trades as far as I'm concerned. With Politte imploding and Hermanson's health a question mark, we have a void in the right-handed setup role. Riske has done a decent job, but I think we need a little more help in that spot.

Bobbo35
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Keep the team the same. Anderson is coming around and he is a great good centerfielder with great potential. Keep the chemistry and this team will be there in the end.

CallMeNuts
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Subtract the following from our roster via Trade or Release:
Gload
Politte

Add to the Roster:
Hermanson
RP acquired in trade: Roberto Hernandez

Add McCarthy to the rotation as a 6th starter. Tell all 6 starters:
The best 4 of the 6 get to pitch in the post season.
Everybody needs to start going deeper into games.

jehosaphat
07-10-2006, 10:33 PM
It would be an interesting and gutty move to trade a starter - but, it could provide a couple of upgrades. Might move Rob M or Osuna (his bloops and grounders won't find holes forever) too.

And may also prove really stupid. What if we traded 1 of our starting 5, and then BMac did not perform all that great, and then one of the remaining 4 got hurt (it happens, and Contreras may be a bit fragile) - and then we're in a real mess. I like being deep in starting pitching, and I'm especially not a fan of trying to get "prospects" from a deal for a starter. If we trade a starter, we better get something very, very special for this year's championship run.

Tragg
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Very simple.

There's no guaranteed addition that will make this team win the World Series....Zito, Andruw Jones, Schmidt, Hunter, etc.

It has been guaranteed that when we don't have a competitive teams, the fans haven't HISTORICALLY supported that product.

From that perspective, it makes more sense to keep the long-term in perspective instead of "going for broke" over the next two years, which would mean trading Anderson, McCarthy and Fields and probably Sweeney.

Thank you...I agree 100%. Be competitive long term and we'll win our share. "going for broke" guarantees nothing. People wanted to trade our future for the Burnetts, Lowells, Schmidts, Visquel and every other decent player who wasn't on the Sox and, what do you know, we won the WS anyway.

And when you trade your best young players for the likes of Jason Schmidt, well, that isn't even going for broke...that's being insane.

And for Rowand, I thank him for his great service, but he's got an OBP of .316, EIGHT home runs and a .260 batting average. Kenny knew what he was doing.

StatHead21
07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
I've heard Chone Figgens' name out there, I think it's possible to get him w/out giving up McCarthy or BA. If they can do that, BA can work out his swing in AAA for next season. Also Figgens can play just about anywhere which is a big plus.

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:41 AM
MRM, then who do you want to be OUR lead-off man if you make this deal?

Yeah, Scott has played like crap fundamentally, has been absolutely horrible on defense and has been SUPER streaky at the plate, but please tell me you're not going to put Melky Cabrera, Gload, Ozuna or Josh Fields out there?

Sure, the Yankees want to give up Robinson Cano, we can stick him in LF and make him our leadoff hitter, but that is never going to happen in 1000 years.

Obviously a new lead off man has to come from somewhere. Not too hard of an aquisition considering the wealth of talent at Charlotte. Doesn't even need to be a trade...The Sox have a coupla guys who are hitting pretty well and have tons of speed on the base paths.

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Every team has to trade minor leaguers....and the White Sox have traded more of their Top 10 prospects than any other MLB team in the last 5-6 seasons.

And yet, Charlotte is probably the best team in the minors....

caulfield12
07-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Best winning percentage and best prospects that are desired by other organizations are usually not one in the same.

In this case, there is some coincidence, with Rogowski, Sweeney, Fields and Owens there.

If KW feels Owens is ready, then he will make the move. Owens is not a great outfielder either, similar arm to Pods...maybe a LITTLE more instinctual.

He's 28 for 37 in steals. Okay for the majors, should be better in AAA. He's still learning the game and is prone to mistakes, as he played football through college at UCLA. And he is still in the .240's. If he fails, you have to go to Pablo Ozuna or Mackowiak to lead off and play LF as the deadline will have already passed and we're not going to take anyone through waivers that's not a huge payroll risk to blow up in our faces.

It's expecting a lot to put an unproven rookie into one of the most critical spots of the order going down the stretch where every game is life and death. It's one of the reasons lots of Sox prospects have withered on the vine (see Borchard, Joe) and not been able to develop under a Florida Marlins "just throw the kids out there and let em play" philosophy.

We haven't had that luxury since the late 90's with Mags, Lee, Konerko, etc. Since then, we've had a competitive team, with the exception of 2001.

caulfield12
07-11-2006, 11:35 AM
It is very questionable that the Angels would trade a player as versatile as Figgins, and the key to their offensive engine, for an unproven outfielder in Anderson.

For McCarthy, no doubt about it. But I think there would be a huge organizational debate about Anderson for Figgins. However, we're much more likely to get Figgins than the likes of Carl Crawford with Anderson.

If they (the Angels) would do it, I would be fine with that move, because you can make Josh Fields your LF, dump Pods in the offseason and have an even more potent line-up offensively.

You give up a lot of D in the outfield with Fields, Figgins and Dye though...we don't know much about Fields, just that he would PROBABLY be average to below average. Figgins is okay in CF but not better than Anderson.

russ99
07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I'll throw a shocker out there, tho. I think Pods is gone after this year. I've seen too many comments from Ozzie, Kenny, and the training staff about Scott being "high maintienence". Primma Donnas won't last under Ozzie. I see Pods running a bunch in the second half. Try to get that SB number up around 70...then, Bye. It wouldn't shock me if he was part of a mid-season blockbuster deal in the next coupla weeks, even. Aren't the Yankees looking for corner outfielders and a true lead off man?:D:

What do the Yankees have that they're willing to deal and that we'd remotely want for Podsednik?

I've far from given up on Pods.

Sure, he's had a pretty bad half-season, but remember that during the WS shortened offseason, Pods had two hernia surgeries (which take a while for full recovery) and missed all of spring training.

He's yet to play his best ball for the Sox this year, and a healthy Pods as we saw in the first half of last season is a force to be reckoned with.

I expect him to have a monster second half.

rainbow6
07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
What he said. I'd love for this post to be blasted into the ear of every sports talkshow host wringing their hands over the "sad" state of the Sox....

caulfield12
07-11-2006, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't say nothing should be done, we have to get another RH reliever and if the right deal for a pitcher or CF comes along (for only this season in CF, long-term for a pitcher, possibly)...

Lillian
07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm most worried about our starting rotation for the post season. We have 5 very good starters, and one in the wings, in McCarthy. However, we do not have 4, or even three dominant starters, as we did last year. Four starters is all a team uses in the post season. After Contreras and Buerhle, I wouldn't feel very confident about our chances in the playoffs. I think the goal should be to trade quantity for quality. I'd rather have 4 really great starters, instead of 6 starters, 4 of whom are questionable.
How to accomplish this upgrade is up to Kenny Williams. I guess the obvious thing would be to trade two of the marginal guys for one stud. Vasquez and Garcia should be converted to one such dominant starter, perhaps through more than one transaction, and maybe involving some other players. I do think that McCarthy should become the 5th starter, under that scenario. What do you all think would accomplish this objective?

tacosalbarojas
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
:everett:

"The team needs some leadership. Hit me up."Nice!

Mr. White Sox
07-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Anderson is fine. The rotation is fine.

The bullpen is pretty damn good, considering our worst 'pen pitcher is also the least-used. Give Politte a month to figure out if he's still valuable, and give Hermanson a month of steady pitching to see if his back holds up. If either of those two things happen, it may not even be necessary to trade for a RP.