PDA

View Full Version : Who WAS at the game today?

soxwon
07-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I left after 12, i give credit to all still there.
sox gotta win Right sox i mean- detroit lost, lets take advantage.

Cambridge
07-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, no sense staying at an extra inning game against a marquis team...:?:

santo=dorf
07-09-2006, 07:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/6493.jpg
"I play for the Cards."

Soxwon, why did you leave?

MRM
07-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Extra innings? I thought it was the top of the 1st in a triple header :D:

soxwon
07-09-2006, 07:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/6493.jpg
"I play for the Cards."

Soxwon, why did you leave?
long day gotta be somewhere tonight.
5 hours in the sun is enough.

itsnotrequired
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
We left after the 13th. We got to the parking lot at 10:30 this morning so it was a damn long day. Had it just been me, I would have toughed it out but the in-laws were with us and they had a five hour drive a head of them.

We watched the rest of the game on TV here at home.

Beer Can Chicken
07-09-2006, 07:44 PM

or a marquis grissom

dakuda
07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Left after 11. I promised my brother I would get him back to his place by 6:30 so he could go out to dinner w/ his gf before we left. I would have liked to stay, but how the hell do you foresee a 19 inning game. I told him it would be 3-3.5 hours. I was waaaaay off.

First time I ever left a game early. :angry:

Brian26
07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Was there with my brother-in-law, who is a smart baseball guy and a real trooper. Stayed for all 19 innings. Got there around 12:30, left at 7:28pm, walked in the door here at 8:08pm. Unbelievable day...

I think we each drank about 5 bottles of water and a gatorade.

WS in 05
07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
stayed all the way through two days=3 games this weekend:bandance:

soxwon
07-09-2006, 09:00 PM
saw the winner at home 6 and 1/2 hours after start of game

ChetChat
Leave! No way! What better way to spend a lovely Sunday afternoon in the city! And that "please send food" sign should have read "please send beer". At least you could still buy food in the extra innings.
My friend indicated it was the first time he had left a game sober (lol). :gulp:

I'm so happy the Right Sox won. I LIVE FOR THIS!!
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

slobes
Just got home. UNBELIEVABLE. If the game had gone into the 20th I woulda had to buy a new scorecard or something, I was down in my last column.

Brian26
07-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Just got home. UNBELIEVABLE. If the game had gone into the 20th I woulda had to buy a new scorecard or something, I was down in my last column.

I didn't keep score today. Part of me is kicking myself, but the other part is thankful because I know it would have been a pain. How did you fit 19 innings on your card?

Kuzman
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Girlfriend and I just got home too. One of the greatest games I have ever been to.

batmanZoSo
07-09-2006, 09:18 PM
I didn't keep score today. Part of me is kicking myself, but the other part is thankful because I know it would have been a pain. How did you fit 19 innings on your card?

Longest game ever at II, right? Would've been a nice one to have. $$$:D:

slobes
07-09-2006, 09:20 PM

I had to go into hte hits, runs, RBI, etc. columns to the left of all the boxes, and then I had to squeeze in 3 more innings in the margin on the right.

salty99
07-09-2006, 09:23 PM
yes I stayed the whole game too! saw 37 innings of baseball from Friday til tonight.

Brian26
07-09-2006, 09:30 PM
yes I stayed the whole game too! saw 37 innings of baseball from Friday til tonight.

:hawk
"You are utterly awesome!"

slobes
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Here: I'm not sure how well you can see it tho.

chisox77
07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I saw the whole game, with a friend of mine who is a Red Sox fan. We sat in Section 354 - awesome. It was a marathon, and I kept thinking to myself that the White Sox HAD to win this, and they did - never give up on a championship team - EVER!! Even after a rough weekend, the White Sox had the guts and character to fight for this one and get it.

:cool:

Soxfanspcu11
07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Was there all game as well. Face melted off in my season tickets in the left field bleachers, had to move into the BSB.

Stayed down there for all 19 innings. During JD's game saving catch during the top of the 19th, I climbed on top of the wall in right field because I could not see where the ball was due to the angle. Security yelled at me, but they really didn't care. I got to see the play at least!:D:

Anyway, we were SOOOOOOO dehydrated, can't even put it into words. Got home in about 25 minutes though, not bad. Anyway, what an amazing game!!!:bandance:

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2006, 09:54 PM
My nephews were there and they stayed for the whole game, sitting in the upper deck. I called my sister (their mom) in the top of the 19th to find out if they were still there. She had just gotten off the phone with them and they said they were staying until the end. Fortunately they would see the end in the bottom of the inning.

Wow, what a game!

areilly
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I was there and stayed the whole 19. Started in 556, then somewhere around 545, 536, etc. etc.

Part of me thought that the crowd remaining at the end was there out of spite for the teams playing. "You guys wanna play 19 innings? Fine, let's go, let's do this, I can sit here for 19 innings. Why not 30?"

A few highlights:
- The random things people started yelling around the 14th, i.e. "For the love of God, would someone please just win already? I don't even care who!"
- The "Please Send Food" sign
- The 14th Inning Stretch
- Learning that it was a record for number of innings in a game played at the current park
- ...seeing the return of the old Cliff, if ever so briefly
- Papelbon getting cut down by White Sox hitting!
- Javy in relief!
- Garland stretching in the pen!

And of course the White Sox winner. Very strange day at the park, but very memorable as well.

dcb56
07-09-2006, 09:58 PM

I kept score for all 19 innings, ended up using 3 games worth of pages in my scorebook.

ChiSoxGirl
07-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I was there for the ENTIRE game! I got to the ballpark around 11:15a and walked into my house a few minutes after 8p. I felt dehydrated something awful, despite a jumbo lemonade, two bottles of water, and a 20 oz. lemonade that I got some time around the 15th! I also have a headache from too much sun and not enough food. Consequently, I took care of a whole steak after the greatest shower ever, when I almost always only eat half of the steak!

I'm so tired, but can't imagine how a guy like AJ feels who essentially caught two games. The Break couldn't have come at a better time!

soxjim
07-09-2006, 09:59 PM
A friend of mine stayed for the whole game. I thought I had a bad sun burn. I watched from the 9th inning on in the comfort of an airconditioned apartment with flavored pepsi.

cbotnyse
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
I was there and stayed the whole 19. Started in 556, then somewhere around 545, 536, etc. etc.

Part of me thought that the crowd remaining at the end was there out of spite for the teams playing. "You guys wanna play 19 innings? Fine, let's go, let's do this, I can sit here for 19 innings. Why not 30?"

A few highlights:
- The random things people started yelling around the 14th, i.e. "For the love of God, would someone please just win already? I don't even care who!"
- Learning that it was a record for number of innings in a game played at the current park
- Javy in relief!

And of course the White Sox winner. Very strange day at the park, but very memorable as well.great highlights....14th inning strech is pretty funny...were people actualy singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" again!?!?

BeefyD
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I had to go into hte hits, runs, RBI, etc. columns to the left of all the boxes, and then I had to squeeze in 3 more innings in the margin on the right.

Was there and stayed all 19. Saw a guy asking one of the gift vendors if there was a place to buy more scorecards. Guess he was out of room. I commend all of the people like you who run the scorecards. Today must have been grueling...

Also, I commend the White Sox for re-opening some of the food vendors so I could buy some water and not die out in right field...

And Yes, Nancy did play the 14th inning stretch. We all got a laugh out of that one...

slobes
07-09-2006, 10:07 PM
great highlights....14th inning strech is pretty funny...were people actualy singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" again!?!?

Haha yeah they were. I was hoping we'd get to have a 21st inning stretch, but we didn't get to that. I also like how they played "For the Longest Time" around the 18th inning or so.

cheeses_h_rice
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I admit, I left after 13 full. I was with a Sox game novice and we really needed to get something to eat. My brother called me as we were leaving the restaurant and told me they were going into the 19th. Glad to see them pull through -- Jermaine Dye, yyyyyes!!!

:gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
07-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Haha yeah they were. I was hoping we'd get to have a 21st inning stretch, but we didn't get to that. I also like how they played "For the Longest Time" around the 18th inning or so.

I thought the song at the end of the game was great, too- "Long Day" by Matchbox 20!

chisoxmike
07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I thought the song at the end of the game was great, too- "Long Day" by Matchbox 20!

Wow, I haven't heard that song in years!

soxjim
07-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm looking over my friends scorecard now. It covers 2 sheets out of his book. I admire all of you who kept score and stayed for the entire game.

Blueprint1
07-09-2006, 10:15 PM
I was there all the way until we went down by two. I got really mad thinking that I was bad luck. I left the ballpark thikning that I was bad luck. When I got to the greenline station I foud out that we tired it up. I finished watching the game at Grace O'Mallys.

ChiSoxGirl
07-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I admire all of you who kept score and stayed for the entire game.

I scored the game, but only 'til through the 12th, since that's how many columns are in my book for a game. The girl I went to the game with, though, has the same book and turned the page and scored all 19 innings!

cwsfannick
07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Well I stayed for the whole game today. Fortunately we came out winners and were able to pick up a game on the Tigers. I guess I should look for my season ticket statement at the end of the year and see if the Sox charge me for 82 regular season home games.

cheeses_h_rice
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I was there all the way until we went down by two. I got really mad thinking that I was bad luck. I left the ballpark thikning that I was bad luck. When I got to the greenline station I foud out that we tired it up. I finished watching the game at Grace O'Mallys.

Not to direct anything at you, but there were 'fans' in my section, who rudely got up and left during play when it was 3-2 (blocking my view their entire way down the aisle), only to return like the Prodigal Son after JD tied it with his homer in the 9th. I wanted to pelt them with my empty beer cups -- either **** or get off the pot if you're going to lame out when we're only down by one ****ing run.

shbart
07-09-2006, 10:29 PM
I made all 19 today. Kudos to my wife who hung in for the full ride. I realized that I have only been to one loss this season and it's when I was sitting up in Section 531 where I was today, so we went down behind homeplate in the 19th and that took care of the problem :wink:
El ride back to Howard and my treat at the Fish Keg. Scallops have revived me.

Chisox003
07-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I worked it, left after the bottom of the 9th.

Running up and down stairs in 90 degree heat is rather tiring...

RetireWoodys28
07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
A few highlights:
- Javy in relief!

And of course the White Sox winner. Very strange day at the park, but very memorable as well.
Don't forget the reaction when the Jumbotron showed that fan holding the "End This Now!" sign.

Not sure this counts as "the return of the old Cliff." Two of those balls were hit hard, and JD made a great play to rob Cora of extra bases.

Yes, very memorable indeed. My guess is a lot of people who didn't stay the whole game will say they did, years from now when we're all waxing nostalgic about this amazing period in Sox history. So here's my proof, for posterity's sake:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/19inningsSm.jpg

Blueprint1
07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Not to direct anything at you, but there were 'fans' in my section, who rudely got up and left during play when it was 3-2 (blocking my view their entire way down the aisle), only to return like the Prodigal Son after JD tied it with his homer in the 9th. I wanted to pelt them with my empty beer cups -- either **** or get off the pot if you're going to lame out when we're only down by one ****ing run.

I didn't leave at that point. I left during extras.

cheeses_h_rice
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
I didn't leave at that point. I left during extras.

I know. I said I wasn't directing my comment at you. :cool:

These people left in the 9th just before the Sox were going to bat. Like they couldn't wait 3 more outs? And then they came scrambling back to their seats a minute or two after Dye homered, probably hit while they were halfway down the ramps to the parking lot.

warehouse823
07-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I was there...sec. 151 row 29....heard the guy from the other thread giving crap to manny all game...pretty classic. Went with my dad along with lil bro and sis..have to give credit to the kids for hanging in there all day. Nice pick I had in the season ticket draft! TAKE THAT PAPPELBON! Would be nice if we learned how to bunt this year though.

bafiarocks03
07-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I was therreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Amaazinggggg

wow, i was soooo tired.

It's all in my other thread from Friday about Willie!
Ha I met him again! =] your jealoous1

lizard6king6
07-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I was there all day!!! I think I sat everywhere in the lower section as well. I had section 555 tickets row 10 as well as stadium club passes. We started out in the stadium club which was packed then made out way to the sports bar for the first 2 innings. Then we waled to the left field bleachers and found a few spare seats, then sttod in right field out of the sun then went back to the sports bar in the 7th. Finally in the 11th we went to right field and sat down then to right behind fthird base and ended up setteling 2nd row in the left field corner by the bullpen for the last 4 innings. What a game, I took a picture of the scoreboard and all. Crazy day! and a white sox winner!!

Shafe72
07-10-2006, 12:51 AM
That game was amazing!! I was there all 19 innings...sec. 132 behind the dish, along with Ozzie, Jr., Tom Shaer from ESPN radio (who made confetti out of his torn up scorecard and threw it everywhere when Iguchi singled in the winning run), and the girlfriend of the Red Sox bullpen catcher.

An all-star cast to be sure...

buehrle4cy05
07-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I was there all 19 innings. Thank God we found a way to shut up the Red Sox fans in attendance.

SoxFan78
07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Me and the GF were there for all 19 innings. I was hoping it would go to the 21st inning so we could sing "Take me out to the ball game" for a third time!

SOXPHILE
07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Was there, section 145, Row 2. Stayed all 19 innings. Did anyone else get as fried as I did ? My legs, arms, face, and the back of my neck look like a lobster. We were laughing, because we were all commenting on how EXHAUSTED we all were, and we weren't even playing ! Got to the park at around noon, our seats at about 12:50, walked out of the park about 7:30, got home at 9:15. I ate a hot dog, a steak pita, a few nachos, and drank 3 bottles of Mountain Dew and a bottle of water, but was absolutely famished and thirsty when I got home. Great time, glad we stayed. It paid off in the end ! Nothing really that unusual other than what everyone else has said here. The oddest moment for my friends and I was in the 17th innings, three 12 or 13 year old boys came down and sat in the front row. They removed their shirts and we were all "treated" to the sight of their boxer shorts sticking out of the top of their baggy pants. One of them was screaming "WOOOOO !" like a little girl, and waving his shirt over his head. Alot of us were calling out "PULL YOUR PANTS UP, SON !" One guy yelled "GET THAT KID SOME RITALIN !" I think they finally got embarrassed enough, and moved on to some other section.

SoxFan78
07-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Was there, section 145, Row 2. Stayed all 19 innings. Did anyone else get as fried as I did ?

I saw there was almost a fight a couple of sections to the right of you. Some sox fans got kicked out. Looked like they were fighting with a red sox fan, did you see this?

skottyj242
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I stayed all 19 innings, I got there to the Pdimas tailgate at 11:30 and sat with Jose (Pdimas's dad) the whole game in their seats in sec. 160 row 2. We met up with cwsfannick and he sayed the whole game as well. We actually started singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" well before Nancy started it because we weren't too sure if she was. Great game, too much sun, it hurts to smile.

SOXPHILE
07-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I saw there was almost a fight a couple of sections to the right of you. Some sox fans got kicked out. Looked like they were fighting with a red sox fan, did you see this?

Yeah. From what I could see, just some pushing and shoving. I think the White Sox fans were at fault. The Red Sox fan, (kind of a big guy, not one I would want to start a fight with), had been standing and clapping whenever the Red Sox got a guy on base or something. Kind of annoying, yes, but I don't know what happened. Maybe he was being obnoxious about it and somebody said something. I don't know. It got broken up pretty quick. Security was right on it, and they led 2 White Sox fans out. The Red Sox fan stayed.

Ol' No. 2
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Stayed for all 19 glorious innings. My seats are in the shade.:smile:

LauraJ14
07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Stayed for all 19 innings with my sister. She kept score, although she only had room for 20 innings on the scorecard so good thing it ended when it did.

Okay what's with all the Sox fans leaving in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings when the Sox were only down 1 run? Its not LA folks!

INSox56
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
My seats are in the shade.:smile:

THAT was the key...my seats = sun the entire game. It was so bad that I had to get up every second inning and stand in the ramp (about 10 feet from my section) to get a shady breeze. Which is why we left after 12. Even though we could have moved to near the dugouts for some great seats in the shade, we were too tired from sitting in 100 degree sunshine all day.

hellenicsoxfan
07-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I was there for all 19 innings with a friend of mine and his son. The kid is about 9 years old. Amazingly, he sat there for all 19 innings, watching intently, never asking to go get snacks, never fidgeting, never being bored. He was really into the game - unfortunately he was rooting for the wrong Sox.

By the end of the game, I was drained. Having been down to the last out in the 9th and then seeing JD hit the homer, seeing Cintron barely beat out a double play in the eleventh to score the tying run and keep the game going, cheering every inning Boston didn't score, groaning when the Sox didn't score, praying that Tadahito wouldn't hit into a double play, going wild when he hit the game winning single really put us on an emotional roller coaster. By the time we got on the L train, I was just totally spent.

As the game went on, things just got strange. West coast games that started 2 hours after ours were ending and ours just kept going. The vendors disappreared (I guess they only work 9 innings). The concession stands ran out of bottled water, so they were giving away free cups of ice water (saved me $7.00 for 2 waters). The 14th inning stretch. Watching the shadows start creeping across the field and keep creeping until the whole field was in the shadows. Having the lights on for a game that started at 1:05. All the other games finishing before ours. Having the Sunday night game start before ours ended and thinking that game might finish before the Sox game. All these things helped us realize we were at a really unique game. I don't think I'll ever forget this one.

JB98
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
I was there all 19 innings. Thank God we found a way to shut up the Red Sox fans in attendance.

Wasn't it a fatiguing weekend? I was there both Saturday and Sunday, so I saw over 10 hours worth of baseball. Those peppy, nauseatingly optimistic Boston dorks seemed to start the "Let's go Red Sox" chant every third pitch. It was tiring to have to repeatedly shout those people down. I'm still a little hoarse today.

Yesterday, I left my apartment in North Aurora at 10:30 a.m. I returned home at 9:45 p.m. Long day, but I'll sit in the stands all day as long as I get a White Sox winner.

Bobbo35
07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
My buddy and I were there for all 19 innings and I was burnt to a crisp.

digdagdug23
07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I was there...sec. 151 row 29....heard the guy from the other thread giving crap to manny all game...pretty classic. Went with my dad along with lil bro and sis..have to give credit to the kids for hanging in there all day. Nice pick I had in the season ticket draft! TAKE THAT PAPPELBON! Would be nice if we learned how to bunt this year though.

Section 103, row 2, stayed all 19. The guys behind us were heckling Nixon the ENTIRE time. I felt kinda bad for Trot, he took it all in stride, though. They were making fun of his count (which I believe ended at 0-8?) his fielding, his name, you name it, it was fair game. I actually felt kind of sorry for him (I am glad they did it to Manny, he deserves it). I know he is a proffessional, suck it up, blah, blah, blah, but still, I dunno.

The sign for "end it now" was a sentiment I think we were all kind of feeling at that point, but it woulda been cool to have Nancy do the 21st inning stretch.

The bunting???? I was screaming "Someone please teach these guys how to bunt, my 8-year old could do better than this" to which Hansen (Boston pitcher) gave my 8-year-old a Bullpen ball. Seriously, do they not understand that if you contact UNDERNEATH the damned ball, it is going to travel straight up?????

But ya wanna know what really frosted my cookies? We stayed in the seats, watched the game (even as the rest of the fans trailed out, with a 3 1/2 hour drive to follow) and row 1 suddenly opened up. I was perfectly happy with where we were sitting (shade, thank GOD) and these schmucks come running down the steps, plant their butts in the seats and then proceed to YACK YACK YACK on the cell phone, YACK to each other, YACK to Dye ("You are awesome dude, you are an MVP!!") until I finally had to ask them nicely to SHUT UP. You know, if it gets to the point in a game, seats open up, no one is sitting there, be my guest, but if you can't shut up, go back up to the upper deck.

Rohan
07-10-2006, 11:31 PM
I stayed the whole game. It was amazing, i nearly caught the dye two run shot.

MRM
07-11-2006, 02:10 AM
I was there all day!!! I think I sat everywhere in the lower section as well. I had section 555 tickets row 10 as well as stadium club passes. We started out in the stadium club which was packed then made out way to the sports bar for the first 2 innings. Then we waled to the left field bleachers and found a few spare seats, then sttod in right field out of the sun then went back to the sports bar in the 7th. Finally in the 11th we went to right field and sat down then to right behind fthird base and ended up setteling 2nd row in the left field corner by the bullpen for the last 4 innings. What a game, I took a picture of the scoreboard and all. Crazy day! and a white sox winner!!

WOW! You sure bought alot of tickets :D:

tacosalbarojas
07-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm looking over my friends scorecard now. It covers 2 sheets out of his book. I admire all of you who kept score and stayed for the entire game.That's mine as well...two pages deep.