PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields in Futures Game

California Sox
07-09-2006, 07:31 PM
2-3 a double a walk and a lineout to right in what I'd say was a very good at bat. He looks like a major league player. Seemed calm on the big stage, physically mature. Probably ready to help in second half. We just don't have a position for him.

chaerulez
07-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I agree that Fields is ready and probably a future star, but since we don't have a position for him, I'd say he's a likely canadiate for a KW blockbuster deal.

gobears1987
07-09-2006, 09:00 PM
I agree that Fields is ready and probably a future star, but since we don't have a position for him, I'd say he's a likely canadiate for a KW blockbuster deal.Andruw Jones!

Tragg
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Jones has a low OBP, good power...we've got 3 hitters like Jones already (Konerko, Dye, Crede), he's not a base stealer, he can't hit leadoff.... and we don't need the defensive downgrade.
Trade him for quality young pitching, if we trade.
And as an aside, the Braves don't need Fields either.

07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
In my opinion, you have to hang onto Fields. He absolutely looks like he could be a superstar in this league.

Edit: Unless Carl Crawford was involved

oeo
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I agree that Fields is ready and probably a future star, but since we don't have a position for him, I'd say he's a likely canadiate for a KW blockbuster deal.

Uhm...lose Gload, bring Fields up. He can get some seasoning at the major league level and they can go from there.

Gload isn't very valuable to this team.

Randar68
07-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Uhm...lose Gload, bring Fields up. He can get some seasoning at the major league level and they can go from there.

Fields is getting his first taste of AAA ball this season and you want to bring him up to get 5 AB's a week at best?

:whoflungpoo

oeo
07-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Fields is getting his first taste of AAA ball this season and you want to bring him up to get 5 AB's a week at best?

:whoflungpoo
Nah...I wasn't really thinking of the playing time. Scratch that.

rdivaldi
07-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Anderson Gomes and Gio Gonzalez also played in the game. Gomes looked overmatched at the plate in his two at bats. Struck out on 3 pitches in his first at bat and was lucky not to K as he grounded out to the shortstop in his second at bat. Gio looked good, working a 1-2-3 inning and striking out one on a wicked curveball.

California Sox
07-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Yeah, Gomes was not impressive, although you can see what they liked about him. He's athletic looking. Gio looked good but not dominant. We didn't get rid of the next Francisco Liriano. Stupid Giants. :angry:

KRS1
07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah, Gomes was not impressive, although you can see what they liked about him. He's athletic looking. Gio looked good but not dominant. We didn't get rid of the next Francisco Liriano. Stupid Giants. :angry:

I look at the whole AJ for Liriano and Boof trade the same way I look at the Clee Pods trade. If those didnt go down, we more than likely wouldnt have won the WS.

SoxFan64
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM

How much "seasoning" will Fields get sitting on the bench???

PK and Thome are not going to sit down.

Fields will get more "seasoning" playing everyday in AAA. Remember he split time between baseball and football prior to being drafted.

34 Inch Stick
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
The more impressive of a prospect Fields is in the minors, the less leverage Boras has when KW offers Crede a three year deal. Fields still has learning to do as evidenced by his Ks.

ChiSoxRowand
07-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Fields still needs to cut down on his K rate. By the way, Gio's hammer is for real.

jabrch
07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Fields is going to stay down there and probably work on playing LF. We might be able to use him more if he was skilled enough to play OF, either this season late or next year. Otherwise, he's someone we could use in a blockbuster (Jones, Tejada, etc.)

kwolf68
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
We need to keep Fields....He has a pro glow about him. I was at the Richmond/Charlotte game and he is such a good guy. He was very likeable, signed for the kids, smiled a lot, and even had great manners (thank you mam when some lady gave him some compliment). He just seemed like a really good guy. I did say to him, "keep slamming them, we'll get you up to Chicago"....He laughed and said, "ahh, they don't need me right now" What a good guy.

Ryan Sweeney on the other hand looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than signing for kids. He had such a poor disposition (yes, i could have caught him on a bad day) that I told my son (Ryan) don't worry about his autograph we'll get some later. At least Sweeney was out signing, so Ill give him credit for that.

07-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Crede is a FA after this year, if we don't sign him, isn't Fields his heir?

kwolf68
07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
I didn't know Crede was up...thought he was arbitration eligible. With Boras as Crede's agent, having Fields on the ready may not be a bad idea even though Crede is my favorite player...Fields is my favorite minor leaguer.

Flight #24
07-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Crede is a FA after this year, if we don't sign him, isn't Fields his heir?

Not so, Joe is Sox property for 2 more years. He currently has 3+years of service and needs 6+ to be a FA.

Which is a big reason why Fields is playing more OF these days.

Ol' No. 2
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Not so, Joe is Sox property for 2 more years. He currently has 3+years of service and needs 6+ to be a FA.

Which is a big reason why Fields is playing more OF these days.Do you know of any reason they couldn't include Garland in a trade deal?:tongue:

Randar68
07-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Which is a big reason why Fields is playing more OF these days.

Fields hasn't played ANY OF last I knew...

Flight #24
07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Fields hasn't played ANY OF last I knew...

Really? I swear I read that they were trying him out in the OF. Maybe I dreamed it. Was that just pure speculation?

Randar68
07-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Really? I swear I read that they were trying him out in the OF. Maybe I dreamed it. Was that just pure speculation?

Everyone (mostly here and a few media outets) have suggested he should start playing OF so he could help in September, but nobody in the organization has even mentioned it and I don't think he's played a single pitch in the OF.

maurice
07-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Ryan Sweeney on the other hand looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than signing for kids....At least Sweeney was out signing, so Ill give him credit for that.

Sweeney is reserved compared to some of the other personalities in the organization, but he makes himself available to sign autographs all of the time. Plus, he's still just a kid on a team full of much older players.

Fields has lots of experience being the center of attention from his football days.

Randar68
07-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Fields has lots of experience being the center of attention from his football days.

Yep, he's just a very poised guy that knows how to play the media/PR game. College football players are schooled in how to deal with the media and it shows with Josh.

That being said, he's a shy/humble country kid that just loves playing the game...

KyWhiSoxFan
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Do you know of any reason they couldn't include Garland in a trade deal?:tongue:

He has a no-trade clause his first year of the deal.

MadetoOrta
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Randar,

What do we do with Fields and Sweeney? Doesn't make sense to keep them in AAA next year. A former Big 12 QB, Fields must have the athleticism to play outfield. Do they languish on the bench for 2 years? We've never found ourselves in this position.

I am curious what you think should/might/will be done.

Thanks

Tragg
07-14-2006, 08:45 AM
In the offseason, if we are confident that Fields is ready, it would be a real gutsy move to trade from stength and move Crede. Everyone seems to love Crawford and believe he's available; well, a cheap quality infielder is a good starting point of a package, without having to trade every quality young player we have.

I'd like to see Sweeney pick up those power numbers...but he's awfully young right now, so he has time.

Randar68
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Randar,

What do we do with Fields and Sweeney? Doesn't make sense to keep them in AAA next year. A former Big 12 QB, Fields must have the athleticism to play outfield. Do they languish on the bench for 2 years? We've never found ourselves in this position.

I am curious what you think should/might/will be done.

Thanks

2 Things

Sweeney would not be hindered by having another year in AAA. Would be good for him, still one of the youngest guys in AAA.

Fields... well, where does he play? He won't be a CF'er. And if we move him to LF to replace Pods we are right back to the pre-Pods White Sox offense that can go stagnant because they have no speed, no leadoff hitter.

Tragg
07-14-2006, 12:49 PM
2 Things

Sweeney would not be hindered by having another year in AAA. Would be good for him, still one of the youngest guys in AAA.

Fields... well, where does he play? He won't be a CF'er. And if we move him to LF to replace Pods we are right back to the pre-Pods White Sox offense that can go stagnant because they have no speed, no leadoff hitter. How do you rate Fields defensively at 3rd?

I think we should be looking for a lead-off hitter over the next year or 2. Not in panic mode or anything, just keeping the eyes open.

Randar68
07-14-2006, 01:03 PM
How do you rate Feilds defensively at 3rd?

I think we should be looking for a lead-off hitter over the next year or 2. Not in panic mode or anything, just keeping the eyes open.

Fields is good enough. He's not Crede but he's better than some of the shmucks at 3B in the majors right now... and he is improving.