PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Counts

MRM
07-09-2006, 02:30 PM
This has been a disturbing trend of late for all the starters. As I type this Contreras has thrown 95 pitches thru FOUR innings. All of the starters have been throwing alot of pitches early in the game. I'll have to look at the home/away splits to see if maybe Q-Tech or whatever it's called is behind this.

oeo
07-09-2006, 03:46 PM
This has been a disturbing trend of late for all the starters. As I type this Contreras has thrown 95 pitches thru FOUR innings. All of the starters have been throwing alot of pitches early in the game. I'll have to look at the home/away splits to see if maybe Q-Tech or whatever it's called is behind this.
I don't think it's as much of our pitchers doing anything different, I think it's the approach that the opponent takes against them. They're inning-eaters, and the opponent is going to whatever they can to get them out of the game as fast as possible. It doesn't help that the umpiring staff in this series sucks.

Rob190
07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't think it's as much of our pitchers doing anything different, I think it's the approach that the opponent takes against them. They're inning-eaters, and the opponent is going to whatever they can to get them out of the game as fast as possible. It doesn't help that the umpiring staff in this series sucks.

No doubt, I give Jose alot of credit for being able to pitch around it.

Chez
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
The Red Sox hitters work the count as well as any team in baseball. The Yankees do too, so I wouldn't be surprised or alarmed if the pitch counts are high for that series too.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
The problem is we're walking way too many batters......and their scoring.

bluestar
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
But this has been going on all season; it didn't just start with the Boston series.

The more this happens, the more convinced I am that Questec is the problem.

hawkjt
07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
I swear the sox are not getting the pitches they did get last year. The plate has been tiny for the sox pitchers. and I am sure for opposing pitchers some also but you have to take notice when every guy on the starting staff has had a similar problem with pitch counts. When did questech get installed at US cell?

The umps just have to give the pitchers a chance with a decent strike zone.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I swear the sox are not making the pitches they did get last year. The plate has been tiny for the sox pitchers. and I am sure for opposing pitchers some also but you have to take notice when every guy on the starting staff has had a similar problem with pitch counts. When did questech get installed at US cell?

The umps just have to give the pitchers a chance with a decent strike zone.

Fixed it for ya!

MRM
07-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Fixed it for ya!

No, he was right the first time. Buehrle and Cooper have both gone on record as saying the pitchers weren't getting the corners as a direct result of the quest tech. To answer the other question asked, the Quest Tech was put in this year, they are alternating it among parks yearly right now. It's a silly device that changes the way umps call games in parks that have it. The umps are graded every game based on the results so they are going to call the game according to the machine.

As an aside, that also could help explain the jump in offensive numbers. A.J.. Dye, Konerko, and Crede in particular are all hitting well above their career averages. So is Thome, for that matter. That's 5 regulars trending way up on their career averages.

As any of you who have ever played competative baseball at a high school or higher level know, if the pitcher isn't getting the inside or the outside of the plate it's MUCH easier to hit. An ump calling a tight strike zone is a hitters best friend. And a pitchers worst nightmare, no matter how good he is.

FielderJones
07-10-2006, 04:23 PM
No, he was right the first time. Buehrle and Cooper have both gone on record as saying the pitchers weren't getting the corners as a direct result of the quest tech. To answer the other question asked, the Quest Tech was put in this year, they are alternating it among parks yearly right now. It's a silly device that changes the way umps call games in parks that have it. The umps are graded every game based on the results so they are going to call the game according to the machine.

So, the umps are calling a smaller strike zone because the Quest Tech machine grades a pitch over the black as a ball? :nuts:

slobes
07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
The problem is we're walking way too many batters......and their scoring.

Especially for Jose. It seems that when he pitches great, he walked at most one batter. It's when he starts walking people that he gets into trouble. Yesterday I believe he walked 5. That alone is 20 pitches right there.

MRM
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
So, the umps are calling a smaller strike zone because the Quest Tech machine grades a pitch over the black as a ball? :nuts:

What they are doing is being extremely cognizant that the machine is there. The whole reason the machine was brought in was the perception that some pitchers, such as Maddux, were getting pitches other pitchers weren't getting. The mere presence of the machine forces the umps to call games the same way no matter who is on the mound or what kind of pitcher they are. Guys who rely on the corners are really adverely affected.

bluestar
07-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I believe Questec is causing Sox pitchers problems, and it may only be their awareness of it being there that is causing it. However, Questec does not explain games like the series this past weekend where Boston was consistently getting a much larger strike zone than the Sox. And it hasn't just been Boston that got the benefit of a larger strike zone this season.

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:06 AM
I believe Questec is causing Sox pitchers problems, and it may only be their awareness of it being there that is causing it. However, Questec does not explain games like the series this past weekend where Boston was consistently getting a much larger strike zone than the Sox. And it hasn't just been Boston that got the benefit of a larger strike zone this season.

LOL. Every fan thinks their team is getting screwed in the zone. The Sox hitting certainly doesn't back up that claim, tho.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-11-2006, 01:11 AM
mabye i'm in the minority, or maybe i'm in the only one, but could someone please explain what "questech" is?

MRM
07-11-2006, 01:35 AM
mabye i'm in the minority, or maybe i'm in the only one, but could someone please explain what "questech" is?

It's a machine MLB has put in select MLB parks the last two years. One on the 1st base side and one on the 3rd base side. It tracks where pitches are and determines if the pitch was a ball or a strike. MLB then takes that data and compares it to what the umpire actually called. The machine is seriously flawed and doesn't recognize inside or outside pitches as strikes (probably because of the angle they're mounted in relation to the plate) and often doesn't pick up breaking balls at all. It's called a "training tool" for umpires but what it really does is affect the way an umpire calls the game in a quest tech park as opposed to other parks. It's as dumb an idea as has come out of Bud lights office...even worse than the All Star game determining home field advantage for the World Series.