PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Least Favorite announcers?

Tigerslover
07-09-2006, 02:20 AM
One of my favorites of all time is Ernie Harwell, a classic style and a wonderful man to boot. Dan Dickerson who does the games now for radio is solid as well. You can hear the excitement in his voice when we get a key hit or run in the late innings of a tight game. Hearing his calls on some of the biggest hits the Tigers have had this year can just about give you chills.

Some others I like include Jon Miller, Gary Thorne, and Josh Lewin.

As far as least favorites go, I hate to do it, but I'm going with Hawk. He's too much of a homer for my liking. I mean it's one thing to be happy for your team when they're doing well and all that, but at least try to be semi-neutral in your calls. Stuff like: "Get fair, Get Fair" and the way he acts if the team is losing (my personal favorite was when he said: "That's 4 gift runs that we have given the Tigers" in the lone game we won against you guys to this point) just comes off as unprofessional to me.

SoxSpeed22
07-09-2006, 02:23 AM
I think that the near-unanimous decision for least favorite would go to Joe Buck. Maybe both our sides will hear plenty of him in October.

QCIASOXFAN
07-09-2006, 02:40 AM
I luvvvvvvvvvv Hawk&D.J , I could sit back, relax and strap it down to those guys all day, because I grew up with those guys. I'm 22 right now and hawk is all I know when it comes to Sox games. I am a big football guy also and could care less who commentats. But when it comes to watching Sox games, I don't care who calls Hawk a loser I still luvv the guy and everything he brings to each broadcast.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Pat Foley
Harry Caray & Jimmy Piersall
Vin Scully
Ernie Harwell
John Rooney & Ed Farmer
Bob Uecker
Milo Hamliton
Pat Hughes (sans the ass clown)
Bob Costas
Charlie Steiner
Wayne Larrivee

I've only heard a few Bob Elson games but I know the old timers hate him - I thought he did a good job.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/images/elson_bob.jpg

Red Barber replays are awesome as well.

Least favorite

Chris Berman
Joe Morgan
Ron Santo
Joe Buck
The current Yankee Radio team (a guy and woman who are both brutal).

RealMenWearBlack
07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
I can understand why people don't like Hawk, but I love him and I think a lot of fans would like their announcers to have a strong bias. I really can't stand Joe Buck on FOX, and I'm not sure if he's any better as the Cardinals announcer. My favorite non-baseball announcers are Bill Walton and Johnny "Red" Kerr.

TDog
07-09-2006, 03:40 AM
I didn't grow up listening to Ken Harrelson and found him annoying when I could watch Sox games. I came of age baseball-wise, for two seasons, listening to Bob Elson and Red Rush. I've heard recordings of Red Barber, and I imagine Bob Elson aspired to be just as boring. I really grew up listening to Harry Caray and the announcers he chased out of town. Harry Caray, of course, had this awful voice, but after Bob Elson, he was fun to listen to, especially in the White Sox years when his brain was still sharp. Forget that we were kids and he always talked about how much fun it was to get plastered on Rush Street after the games. The most unfortunate aspect to him is that he had an ego and would ride players and drove away as many fans as he attracted to the Sox. He and Jimmy Piersall could be funny, but listening to Piersall do play by play on the radio was brutal. He was also a cruel man with an unjustifiably large ego.

The pre-Diamondbacks years I spent in Arizona I listened to a lot of Vin Scully, a much classier man whose voice was meant for baseball. For that matter, baseball was meant for his voice.

itsnotrequired
07-09-2006, 08:09 AM
The current Yankee Radio team (a guy and woman who are both brutal).

Easily the worst considering the team and the size of the market.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/john_sterling.jpg

"Its an AAAA-bomb...for AAAA-rod!"

:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
07-09-2006, 08:21 AM

And considering the fact that we have the stellar team of Farmio and Singleton, that's saying a lot.

itsnotrequired
07-09-2006, 08:31 AM
And considering the fact that we have the stellar team of Farmio and Singleton, that's saying a lot.

As hard as it is to believe this, it is impossible to think otherwise.

Jjav829
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't really have any least favorite. I don't consider Chris Berman an announcer.

Favorites:
Duane Kiper and Mike Krukow
Daron Sutton and Bill Schroeder
Steve Stone
Vin Scully
Matt Vasgersian
Dave Niehaus

JohnBasedowYoda
07-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hawk
Stone
Uecker
Pat Hughes

VenturaSoxFan23
07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Not counting the home team guys, I like Bob Uecker. He's not just an old-timer who throws his stories around; he makes me feel like a part of the game. I'll pick up Brewers games every once in awhile just to hear his work. The guy he's with is almost like the person who played his sidekick in "Major League"; he doesn't add a whole lot.

Guys I can't/couldn't stand: Joe Morgan & Jim Palmer. Two guys so full of themselves and how they've never botched a play or threw an errant pitch. Not too many times will they say something that doesn't directly shine a spotlight on themselves.

Zisk77
07-09-2006, 12:29 PM
When Kirk Gibson was the Tigers announcer he was the worst (although I loved him as a player). He made Hawk look like an amateur homer. Despite losing over a 100 games you would think the tigers were God's gift to baseball according to Gibson.

I like:

Hawk
Remy
Splitorff
The late Jack Buck
Costas
Uecker
Jon Miller (despite his Ozzie Smith & pronk fascination).
Joe Morgan
John Rooney
Wayne Hagan
Mike Shannon (sloshed by the 3rd inning).
Bert Blyelevan
Vin Scully for national broadcasts but as a Dodger announcer he just rambles on incessantly for 9 innings.
Bucky Dent and the other Reds announcer.

Hate:

Gibson
Berman
Pinella (like as a manager)
Dick Bremer (talk about a homer - Twins are great and all the Sox players suck and are lazy) every compliment about an opposing team is backhanded.
Rick Sutcliffe

Railsplitter
07-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Bob Costas, as he has a genuine love for baseball.
Al Micheals was good enough to cover the broadcasting shortcomings of Tim McCarver.

Come to think of it Fx does attract dull "color" commentators.

tick53
07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Harry and Jimmy (fav,of course)
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan (I like Joe, but Miller is an idiot. ipso facto)

MDF3530
07-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Favorites:

John Rooney
Gary Dolphin (University of Iowa football & mens' basketball announcer)
Bob Uecker (juuuuuuust a bit outside)
Gary Thorne (he's the one guy at the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network I like)
Wayne Larrivee (please come back to the Bears booth, Wayne! They need you!)
The late Don Drysdale
The late Jack Buck
Early Wynn
Harry Caray
Milo Hamilton
Marty Brennaman
Thom Brennaman
Judd Sirott (you Wolves fans know who I'm talking about)

Least favorites:

Chris Berman
Joe Morgan (according to him, the best second baseman ever was Joe Morgan)
Santo
Joe Carter (although I miss Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein making fun of his malaprops)
and two of the members of the "Silver Spoon Club": Chip Caray and Joe Buck

DoItForDanPasqua
07-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Best:
Scully
Rooney
Miller
Harwell (retired)

Worst:
Hawk
DJ

Daver
07-09-2006, 07:06 PM
The best I ever heard;

Vin Scully

Ernie Harwell

Harry Calas

SOXintheBURGH
07-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Mike Lange :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

robertks61
07-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Harry with Jimmy and Harry with Bob Waller.

Brenneman with Stoney weren't to bad.

Hate Len & Bob.

goofymsfan
07-09-2006, 07:22 PM
I have to say I still love listening to Dave Niehaus. He is getting a bit senile as of late and calling people the wrong names and such, but when he tells stories about the past it's almost as if you are there. It's going to be a shame when he retires.

PaulDrake
07-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Mike Lange :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: What the hell is the deal with that? Is he going to accept the demotion to radio? He and Lloyd Petitt are the best I ever heard to do hockey. Maybe some of the Canadian posters remember Foster Hewitt.

palehozenychicty
07-09-2006, 09:17 PM

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/john_sterling.jpg

"Its an AAAA-bomb...for AAAA-rod!"

:rolleyes:
Robbie Cano...what d'ya know?!

Seriously, sterling and waldman are BRUTAL. but friday i won't have to hear them, since i'll be in the stadium. chillin. :D:

itsnotrequired
07-09-2006, 09:20 PM

Seriously, sterling and waldman are BRUTAL. but friday i won't have to hear them, since i'll be in the stadium. chillin. :D:

Don't forget the "Jason Giam-bino!" call...

Chips
07-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Guys I like:

Pat Foley
John Rooney
Hawk

Guys I don't:

Singleton
Farmer
Singleton
DJ
Singleton
Farmer
Singleton

Tragg
07-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Gene Elston
Harry Calas
Harry Carey when with the Sox (I used to tune into wmaq late at night, move my radio all around and catch the last 2 innings from Louisiana...loved the west coast games)
I like Bill Brown doing Astros TV now.
Harwell was my favorite old-timer
As a kid, I loved Red Rush, but that was when I was 10 and 11 when the Sox were broadcast into Lafayette La, thanks to "Friendly" Bob Adams, and I suspect his hyperbole appealed to me.

Epark84
07-09-2006, 10:06 PM
John Rooney is my all time favorite.....the sox have some brutal announcers now....hawk has gotten worse every year...whining about umps is the lamest form of annoucning...hes getting bad, but the twins duo of blylevyn and bremer is absolutely sick...chip caray sucks too

Dan Mega
07-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Faves-

Bob Uecker
Vin Scully

Least Faves-

Joe Morgan
Joe Buck
Ron Santo (those he is occasionally good for comedic relief! "ooooh noooooo!")

Stroker Ace
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM

Seriously, sterling and waldman are BRUTAL. but friday i won't have to hear them, since i'll be in the stadium. chillin. :D:Agreed. My roomate last year would always play his calls from every yankmee game. Worst of all, he thinks Sterling is great.

WSox8404
07-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Most favorite. Ron Santo.

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
My favorites:
Hawk
Marty Brennaman (Reds radio broadcaster in case some of you didn't know)
Jon Miller
Thom Brennaman

My least favorite:
Chris Berman
Joe Buck
Tim McCarver
Vin Scully (I'm sorry but he is sooo boring. If I would have grown up listening to him during the 1960's, 1970's, or 1980's, I would think differently of him)
Whoever does games for the Los Angeles Angels (I have extra innings and their games are just BRUTAL to watch because of them)
Len Kasper
Bob Brenly
Ed Farmer
Chris Singleton

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I like Jon Miller and most of the other guys on espn (besides, back back back). The guy I dislike the most is buck from FOX. It comes across so clearly that he hates the Sox and it pained him to report to the nation that the WS won the World Series. I can't wait for nbc or someone else to get the rights to the 07 WS when the Sox are trying to threepeat!:bandance:

I used to like the NBC guys that covered the WS back in the 70's and 80's.

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 12:19 AM
I like Jon Miller and most of the other guys on espn (besides, back back back). The guy I dislike the most is buck from FOX. It comes across so clearly that he hates the Sox and it pained him to report to the nation that the WS won the World Series. I can't wait for nbc or someone else to get the rights to the 07 WS when the Sox are trying to threepeat!:bandance:

I used to like the NBC guys that covered the WS back in the 70's and 80's.
Speaking of that, when will tv rights be announced for the 2007 World Series and beyond? I gots ta know!

Hitmen77
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
As far as least favorites go, I hate to do it, but I'm going with Hawk. He's too much of a homer for my liking. I mean it's one thing to be happy for your team when they're doing well and all that, but at least try to be semi-neutral in your calls. Stuff like: "Get fair, Get Fair" and the way he acts if the team is losing (my personal favorite was when he said: "That's 4 gift runs that we have given the Tigers" in the lone game we won against you guys to this point) just comes off as unprofessional to me.

So, what's wrong with a home team's announcer wanting a ball to stay fair? Do other team's announcers not care when a ball is heading towards the foul pole witha chance to be a HR? I doubt it. Please explain why it is not ok for Sox announcers to show excitement over a possible home run?

I always took that "4 gift runs" comment as criticism of what the Sox did rather than discrediting what the other team did. It's not like he's saying "that's 4 lucky runs for the Tigers" or "4 unfair runs". After those type of innings, I hope Ozzie and the Sox players are thinking the exact same thing that Hawk is saying and that they are pissed off that their poor defense has given away a bunch of runs. I fully expect a hard-nosed manager like Jim Leyland to have the same reaction in those situations.

Now the following isn't a response to you, but a more general comment about Hawk. I have said this before on this site, but about a generation ago the Sox had another announcer who fans of other teams derided as unprofessional and as a joke of an announcer. This guy had the nerve to say things like "Good Guys 3, Bad Guys 2". His name was Harry Caray. Yet, somehow when he went over the the Cubs, he magically became America's most beloved announcer. In general, I agree that Hawk is over the top at times, but I really have no doubt in my mind that if the Sox let him go and he went over to the Cubs, all this Hawk hatred would magically melt away and within 2 years, he would become canonized by all as yet another great announcer to grace the hallowed grounds of the friendly confines.

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Different cities have different traditions for calling games. Chicago announcers have always been notorious homers. It has probably been that way since the '20s when games were first broadcast here.

There have been homers in other cities, too. I can't remember who the announcer was but in Voices of the Game it describes the way he produced sound effects for each home team home run supposedly breaking a window after it left the ball park. Somehow other teams homers never broke windows.

I don't remember before days of Bob Elson, Jack Brickhouse, and Jack Quinlan doing games in Chicago, but all of them were bigtime homers. Elson was the calmest of the bunch, but in the audio here, you can here him get excited for the Sox. Brickhouse had his "Hey! Hey!" for the Cubs and added a "Bombs Away!" for the Sox after Veeck built the exploding scoreboard. Quinlan was an obvious Cubs fan.

And it's been that way ever since. That's how baseball is presented here. No Curt Gowdy objective reporter crap for us. We're not stoic New Englanders here. We have two clubs in this town and old-line fans of both are proud of them and they want to hear their announcers cheering just as they are. And that's true on both sides of town because that's the tradition here.

So, no, we didn't grow up with Ernie Harwell.

Sxy Mofo
07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I think if hawk wasn't such a homer, he'd be considered at the top of a lot more people's broadcaster lists, simply because of the all the stories he tells of old baseball times. I like hearing about that.

That said, I wish my bears football announcers were as biased as hawk and DJ, because I love it. I want my announcer to be joyous when I am, hopeful when I am, nervous when I am, pissed when I am, sulking when I am, etc.

I wish hawk could've called a certain home run in a certain world series... "and pods here in the catbirds seat, lidge doesn't want to go 3-1 and potentially walk him. He hits it deep! stretch! Get up! Way back he looks up.. you can put it on the boooooooooard.." Hawk, with DJ chiming in, "YES!" back to hawk, "and pods hits a walk off home run, and the Sox take a 2-0 lead in the world series! MERCY!"

Tigerslover
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't mind homerism to a point, being excited when a big hit or big out is made, but I'd rather hear it in the voice itself, rather then what the announcer actually says. It's one of the reasons I like Dan Dickerson as I do. He may get excited if something big happens for us yes, but he doesn't make it as obvious with what he actually says like Hawk does. He lets the excitement coming through in his voice speak for itself.

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't mind homerism to a point, being excited when a big hit or big out is made, but I'd rather hear it in the voice itself, rather then what the announcer actually says. It's one of the reasons I like Dan Dickerson as I do. He may get excited if something big happens for us yes, but he doesn't make it as obvious with what he actually says like Hawk does. He lets the excitement coming through in his voice speak for itself.

Let's try again. Each market has its own traditions. Chicago's is blatant homerism.

"Stay fair, baby!"--Jack Brickhouse

MDF3530
07-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Faves-

Bob Uecker
Vin Scully

Least Faves-

Joe Morgan
Joe Buck
Ron Santo (those he is occasionally good for comedic relief! "ooooh noooooo!") I never tire of hearing that on Mike North's show :D: ...

Baby Fisk
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Like:
- the Hawk
- Vin Scully
- Jon Miller
- Mario Impemba and Rod Allen (the Tigers TV crew)

Dislike:
- Buck & McCarver
- Joe Morgan
- Chris Berman
- LA Angels TV crew
- Bert Blyleven
- Mets TV crew (Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez...what a brutal combination)

Tigerslover
07-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Let's try again. Each market has its own traditions. Chicago's is blatant homerism.

I'm not disputing that, just merely stating my opinion on the matter. You guys may like it like that, I personally do not.

thomas35forever
07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Favorite:

Marv Albert
Al Michaels
Bob Costas (in every sport except basketball)
John Rooney
Johnny "Red" Kerr
Ed Farmer
Hawk and DJ
Wayne Larivee
Tom Dore
Bob Uecker
Jon Miller
Joe Morgan
Dick Enberg
Verne Lindquist
Judd Sirott
John Madden
Neil Funk

Least Favorite:

Joe Buck
Chris Berman
Ron Santo
Steve Stone
Chip Carey
Pat Hughes

TornLabrum
07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm not disputing that, just merely stating my opinion on the matter. You guys may like it like that, I personally do not.

And going by your name, we have the right to ignore any of your likes or dislikes. :D:

Fenway
07-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Joe Castiglione and Jerry Trupiano on Red Sox radio do a fine job. They have been together 14 seasons.

All time favorite was the late Ned Martin

Look at my sig. Hearing John Sterling say that brought tears to my eyes.

areilly
07-10-2006, 10:27 PM
As much as I hate the Cubs - and believe me, I hate the Cubs - I have to say that I always enjoyed the Harry Caray/Steve Stone tandem. I was born too late for the Harry-n-Jimmy show, but Stone's straight-man style really meshed well with Harry's unabashed fandom.

I know, I know, Harry was a sellout and a traitor, but in pure broadcasting and entertainment terms those two were great.

Farmer and Rooney are a very close second. Veeerry close. Inches close. And your friend and mine Bob Uecker makes it pretty hard not to enjoy a Brewers game.

Dishonor roll:
Ron Santo
The entire Fox and ESPN crews

Epark84
07-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I used to love Hawk. And I love his HR calls and some of his sayings, but maybe its because i was younger and had no attention span, but I cant stand when a broadcaster bitches about the umping against the home team. To me that is Cubbish. Bad calls happen. You are going to have guys with tight zones, guys who are inconsistent. And occassionally a game will hinge on one call, but to bitch and bitch about the ump is lame and whiny. Its what dick bremer of the twins does, its what chip caray did, its what a lot of the worst broadcasters do and i cannot stand when hawk does it. Bad calls happen. Let it bleeping go.

PaulDrake
07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Different cities have different traditions for calling games. Chicago announcers have always been notorious homers. It has probably been that way since the '20s when games were first broadcast here.

There have been homers in other cities, too. I can't remember who the announcer was but in Voices of the Game it describes the way he produced sound effects for each home team home run supposedly breaking a window after it left the ball park. Somehow other teams homers never broke windows.

That would be the late great Rosey Rowswell, Pittsburgh Pirate announcer who mentored his successor Bob Prince. Both were audacious homers, which is also a Pittsburgh announcing tradition.

http://www.alleghenycemetery.com/noteables/noteable_rowswell.htm

TornLabrum
07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
That would be the late great Rosey Rowswell, Pittsburgh Pirate announcer who mentored his successor Bob Prince. Both were audacious homers, which is also a Pittsburgh announcing tradition.

http://www.alleghenycemetery.com/noteables/noteable_rowswell.htm

Thanks. I probably would never have remember his name without digging out the book. I had in the back of my mind that it was a Pirates announcer, but I knew it wasn't Prince.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I can't remember who the announcer was but in Voices of the Game it describes the way he produced sound effects for each home team home run supposedly breaking a window after it left the ball park. Somehow other teams homers never broke windows.

It was something like "old aunt Becky's house" outside of Forbes Field. Everytime a Pirate hit a homer, the announcer would yell "Hurry up and open your window, aunt Becky! *CRASH* Oh no, she was too late again..." Awesome stuff.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I have to go with Hawk and DJ as my favorite because i hear them the most.

Least favorite is JOE BUCK...It is obvious why, it agngers me so much to watch that DVD with him announcing on it

ClaudelSleptHere
07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I have really come to like Dan Shulman, both in baseball and basketball.
Always have liked Steve Stone.
I love listening to Santo when the Cubs are losing. He's terrible, but terribly entertaining also.
Hate Joe Morgan. Anyone hear him say last Sunday that the Big Red Machine never got booed because the other team's fans respected their talent so much.
Can't stand Steve Phillips...bad GM becomes an expert analyst.

TornLabrum
07-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I have really come to like Dan Shulman, both in baseball and basketball.

He drives me nuts with his extra syllables (a la WGN farm reporter Max Armstrong).