PDA

View Full Version : Thome Not in HRD?

BRDSR
07-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I've never been real interested in the Home Run Derby, but how is Thome not participating? Did he elect not to?

cbrownson13
07-08-2006, 08:52 PM
He was offered to participate, but declined.

Timmy D's
07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
HR derby is reallly for the younger guys. Coaches hate it as there sluggers can get hurt, and also screw up their timing. I cant remeber who, but I recall someones contract a few years ago forbidding participating in one. Anyways, I know Ozzie isnt thrilled JD is participating, but he also said he wouldnt deny him the opportunity if thats what he wants to do.

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
It's probably better Thome bowed out. Historically guys who have done the HRD have had a bit of a second-half letdown. Guys have said time and time again the Derby tends to mess with their timing and their swing (more uppercutting).

WSox8404
07-08-2006, 09:21 PM
It's probably better Thome bowed out. Historically guys who have done the HRD have had a bit of a second-half letdown. Guys have said time and time again the Derby tends to mess with their timing and their swing (more uppercutting).

Prime example. Bobby Abreu from last years derby. Yeah he was lights out in the derby, but after the all star break his production, especially the long ball, went down drastically.

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Paul Konerko knows all to well about the dangers of the Derby as well.

MYBOYAJ
07-08-2006, 09:45 PM
The whole concept is absolutely stupid. I've never been interested in seeing this nonsense. And as was mentioned before, it tends to mess up hitters timing. So stupid ... :rolleyes:

Timmy D's
07-08-2006, 10:17 PM
The only real enjoyment is watchin' the poor guy sweat out winnin' or losin' a house on the deal(Remax giveaway). But listening to Berman do his back, back, back, into the night stuff makes it like water torture.

Mercy!
07-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I really don't like this kind of circus stuff like the home run derby. It's just stupid. So why did I set my TIVO today to record it?:redface:

I figure it's like having your cake and eating it, too. I can think it's a silly contest, I can fast forward through it and avoid the meaningless commentary about a meaningless event, and if something really interesting happens I'll be able to see it. Ha!

I'm glad Thome is taking a pass. We already know what he can do.

bigfoot
07-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Here's wishing Jermaine well in the HR Derby and a first round exit, for all the reasons listed above.

DaleJRFan
07-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Here's wishing Jermaine well in the HR Derby and a first round exit, for all the reasons listed above.

I just hope he doesn't pull a Jason Bay. Hit at least one for us, JD! :cool:

BV2005
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
wow am i the only one who likes the home run derby. I used to look forward to that as a kid more than the acctual all star game. I loved watching Frank Thomas crush the ball.

gobears1987
07-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Prime example. Bobby Abreu from last years derby. Yeah he was lights out in the derby, but after the all star break his production, especially the long ball, went down drastically.He didn't hit a HR for a month I think. It took Mark Prior pitching for him to get that first HR.

CRAW
07-09-2006, 07:45 PM
He awesome and all, but I'm glad he's not participating. I'd rather have him for the second half when we dominate!

Jjav829
07-10-2006, 01:23 AM
wow am i the only one who likes the home run derby. I used to look forward to that as a kid more than the acctual all star game. I loved watching Frank Thomas crush the ball.

I think a lot of people are just turned off because we no longer see the premiere sluggers in the game battling it out. Yeah, David Wright is one hell of a player, but he's not Arod. Sure, Lance Berkman is a great hitter, but he's not Travis Hafner.

I think a lot of people would be more interested in the HR Derby if the list of participants looked something like:

Arod
Ortiz
Thome
Howard
Dunn
Hafner
Pujols
Giambi

That's no disrespect to guys like Dye, Tejada, Wright and Cabrera. They're all very good players, but they're not exactly the type of pure power guys that can make the HR Derby fun to watch.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 01:39 AM
The whole concept is absolutely stupid. I've never been interested in seeing this nonsense. And as was mentioned before, it tends to mess up hitters timing. So stupid ... :rolleyes:

I dont see how, in BP before games, many players are pullin the ball to the seats.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 01:41 AM
I think a lot of people are just turned off because we no longer see the premiere sluggers in the game battling it out. Yeah, David Wright is one hell of a player, but he's not Arod. Sure, Lance Berkman is a great hitter, but he's not Travis Hafner.

I think a lot of people would be more interested in the HR Derby if the list of participants looked something like:

Arod
Ortiz
Thome
Howard
Dunn
Hafner
Pujols
Giambi

That's no disrespect to guys like Dye, Tejada, Wright and Cabrera. They're all very good players, but they're not exactly the type of pure power guys that can make the HR Derby fun to watch.

Actually id say the only names for the fans to be in there would be ortiz, manny, pujols and howard cuz they have been garnering the media attention, howard with his titan blasts and pujols being pujols. Id simply like to see a hitter hit the "hit it here" spot so sponsors have to pay someone 1 million dollars

doublem23
07-10-2006, 02:49 AM

Arod
Ortiz
Thome
Howard
Dunn
Hafner
Pujols
Giambi

Agreed. Back in the day, when the Home Run Derby was just introduced and drew names like Big Frank and Griffey, Jr. it was incredibly entertaining. But today, it's drawn out (it takes like 2-3 hours), and the players just don't give me that ol' tingly feeling any more.

rookiewhitesox
07-10-2006, 06:37 AM
I recently started enjoying baseball, so the all star week is exciting to watch. Also check out Jim Thome on ESPN2 10am ET. He will be on Cold Pizza.

soxfanreggie
07-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Sponsors don't pay $1 million. They just agree to pay the insurance on someone winning. That could be $50,000 or something like that, depending on what the actuaries believe are the odds of someone winning and built in profit after those odds are taken into account.

PKalltheway
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
That's ok that Thome isn't in the Derby because I don't want him to hurt himself. He'll hit one in the actual game anyway.:cool:

Sad
07-10-2006, 12:20 PM

nope
I also enjoy it...

skottyj242
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I enjoy it too.

esbrechtel
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
i wouldnt be too worried about JD messing up his timing...he said he is just going to go out there and treat it like BP...plus he is already having a killer season....he is only 8HRs shy of a career high....

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
That's ok that Thome isn't in the Derby because I don't want him to hurt himself. He'll hit one in the actual game anyway.:cool:

I find it humorous how everyone has this irrational fear that a sox player is gonna get seriously wounded\injured in exhibition, be it asg or world cup. I mean hell, the cubs havent degraded to that crappy of luck yet